Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Isomaker error

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Isomaker error

Postby graciaman » Mon Jan 11 2016 1:24am

Pappets wrote:I remember that in 2005 the translation was finished. I printed it to paper. I ended up with a ton of pages on my lap so i could play and read. But still i was excited :excited: . And let me tell you also that i dumped the ton of pages in the trash just a few weeks ago :) It stayed with me for 10 years in a box :) I needed the translation on paper because at that time i didn't had a PC and i couldn't finish scenario 2 because in the penultimate battle i ended up with just two warriors, being David one of them, in the second battalion to fight against Garvin and his army of monsters. Later i succeeded to save Hazuki. But still, i didn't knew what to do to make those two warriors in one of Balsamo's HQs to join Medion battalion. With the translation i learned :excited: They were Waltz and Rock! With Penko was the same thing.

The patch project came less then a year after, if i'm not mistaken. The first scenario with a patch with english dialogues and all the rest was the PD by Knight of Dragon. Then Legalize Freedom took the lead, correct? But still, it's been 10 long years to finish the patchs. I don't mean to be ungrateful, i really apreciate your work because thanks to you i can play SF3 and understand the story, but still sometimes i feel frustated to see update after update after update without seeing the long awaited FINAL PATCH :excited:



This gives me so many memories! I did the same thing. I printed the entirety of both Sc2 and Sc3 and read along as I played through them for the first time years ago. Everything down to each townsperson. It was really something.
graciaman

User avatar
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 03 2004 6:10am

Re: Isomaker error

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Jan 11 2016 1:56am

Pappets wrote:I remember that in 2005 the translation was finished. I printed it to paper. I ended up with a ton of pages on my lap so i could play and read. But still i was excited :excited: . And let me tell you also that i dumped the ton of pages in the trash just a few weeks ago :) It stayed with me for 10 years in a box :) I needed the translation on paper because at that time i didn't had a PC and i couldn't finish scenario 2 because in the penultimate battle i ended up with just two warriors, being David one of them, in the second battalion to fight against Garvin and his army of monsters. Later i succeeded to save Hazuki. But still, i didn't knew what to do to make those two warriors in one of Balsamo's HQs to join Medion battalion. With the translation i learned :excited: They were Waltz and Rock! With Penko was the same thing.

The patch project came less then a year after, if i'm not mistaken. The first scenario with a patch with english dialogues and all the rest was the PD by Knight of Dragon. Then Legalize Freedom took the lead, correct? But still, it's been 10 long years to finish the patchs. I don't mean to be ungrateful, i really apreciate your work because thanks to you i can play SF3 and understand the story, but still sometimes i feel frustated to see update after update after update without seeing the long awaited FINAL PATCH :excited:



The printable script that was and is still available here on SFC was never close to complete. It was also inaccurate in a great many places. I am grateful for it as it was a great starting point and I appreciate the work that went into producing it, but it was not on par with the expectations of this project.

I would love to pull a completely finished project out of the air, but the fact is this project has required thousands of man hours to be where it is today. I could not even begin to calculate the time I have personally put into it...

If you don't mean to be ungrateful, then don't be. ;)
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby Pappets » Mon Jan 11 2016 7:25pm

Too bad you're unable to perceive sarcasm. That's your problem, not mine.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Apr 28 2010 11:21pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Jan 11 2016 8:42pm

You know Pappets, you need to really reword things you say, a lot of your "sarcasm" can only be understood by you, and I know in quite a few places on this forum that people have taken it to be offensive. Remember, this is all text, nobody can hear the tone of your voice to understand that it is sarcasm.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby messes » Thu Jan 14 2016 10:39pm

Another Windows 10 Build 10586.36 user here.

On my system when copying from the disk drive it gets to the creation stage and I see it spawn thousands of copies of mkisofs.exe before the system eventually ran out of resources and blue screened.

Windows Server 2012 works though.
messes

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 14 2016 10:13pm

Re: Isomaker error

Postby BobT36 » Tue Jan 19 2016 3:42am

Is there any chance of you finding that source, or making a new ISOMaker app?

I ask because the patcher doesn't work anymore on my machine, it just crashes with the typical "stopped working" error after the fourth-ish cmd window. (Just before it starts listing the percentages I think).

Works fine on my girlfriend's machine but not mine for some reason, even though it used to way back when Bulzome was used as the icon.

If we had some source or something I could have a go at debugging it myself to find out what it doesn't like on mine. However currently without my GF's machine, I'd have no way to patch at all!

I'm running it straight from my C:\ as well, and have tried with all 4 discs, works with none of them now. :(
BobT36

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 17 2013 12:02am

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Jan 19 2016 1:43pm

Already said, issue is not ISO Maker, issue is the program I use to build the iso, won't be fixed
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Jan 21 2016 1:14am

We will look for a new solution.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Jan 21 2016 3:43am

or we can just wait and see if the dos emulation gets fixed lol
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Jan 21 2016 12:45pm

I haven't heard anything about MS intentionally removing dos emulation and I can't imagine they would, but nothing would surprise me.

If you think that's the crux of the problem, I'll start a ticket with MS.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Jan 21 2016 2:17pm

yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work


looks like windows 10 reverted back to 10240, guess MS knew they messed up
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby EricLegacy21 » Fri Jan 22 2016 4:20pm

knight0fdragon wrote:yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work


looks like windows 10 reverted back to 10240, guess MS knew they messed up


Microsoft actually reverted only for a short time a while ago. They're on 10586. The way it works is if you first upgrade or install a fresh copy of 10240, it will take 30 days before 10586 shows up on the Windows Updates. If you were on 10240 for a while, it'll update right away. I know this as I own a computer store and deal with this crap every day :p

I would maybe go with the ticket to Microsoft, Legalize. Microsoft is working on the next build which I'm guessing will be released in March. Maybe they'll be able to fix it then!
EricLegacy21

User avatar
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 10:58pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Jan 22 2016 4:56pm

I have been on 10240 since July, I updated to the November build 10586 when you described this problem, then when I turned it back on, It was forced back to 10240 and will not download anymore. even the ISO on Microsoft no longer has the 10586 patch on it, as I have downloaded this last night to try and upgrade it.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby EricLegacy21 » Fri Jan 22 2016 6:08pm

knight0fdragon wrote:I have been on 10240 since July, I updated to the November build 10586 when you described this problem, then when I turned it back on, It was forced back to 10240 and will not download anymore. even the ISO on Microsoft no longer has the 10586 patch on it, as I have downloaded this last night to try and upgrade it.


That's odd. I know they put it back to 10240 then changed their mind again. It was all due to a small number of people complaining about the privacy issues with 10586. Microsoft then corrected half of the issues people were describing. I just did a test on my 10240 build and the 10586 shows up on my windows update as it has with all the PCs I've worked on in the last few months.

As you described, I see that Microsoft did in fact turn their media creation tool back to 10240 a while ago. I have copies of 10586 I used back when it released in November so I guess I haven't tried out the tool since.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... ber-update I just saw this here as well. Looks like you'll only be able to get 10586 through windows update as I described above. I couldn't give you a reason why yours rolled back.

Edit* Btw if anyone has Twitter, can you contact a person named Gabe Aul? He's in charge of feedback for Windows 10. It would be great to get the info about the DOS issue since they're currently working on a new build for the Spring release in March-April :) As I don't know too much how it works, it would be great if someone who knows about the ISOMaker and DOS to contact him!
EricLegacy21

User avatar
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 10:58pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Isomaker error

Postby BobT36 » Wed Jan 27 2016 12:48am

knight0fdragon wrote:yes, since it used to work on windows 10, they did something to the compatibility mode that is causing the dos app to no longer work


looks like windows 10 reverted back to 10240, guess MS knew they messed up


Well that's the weird thing, I'm on Windows 7 x64. :/

Pretty sure it used to work yonks ago. Can't think of why it's not. I keep my computer more up to date than she does hers though, so could have been something in a Win update that cocked it up. Just with no error log or anything I don't know what the problem is.
BobT36

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 17 2013 12:02am

Re: Anyone familiar with setting up a wiki?

Postby EricLegacy21 » Fri Feb 05 2016 8:23pm

Microsoft is currently working on a new version of Win10 called Redstone. The build number on testing is currently 14257. I gave them and some developers a heads up on the emulation for DoS as requested. I won't be able to test out the new build today and try the patching process again. But I'll give it a go next week sometime and report back. Hopefully my feedback was heard.
EricLegacy21

User avatar
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 10:58pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Feb 11 2016 6:41pm

For people who are still having this problem, try this. Go to the directory that ISOMaker is located. Go to the data folder, look for a file called mkiosfs.exe, and set that compatability to windows XP SP3
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby BobT36 » Thu Feb 11 2016 11:31pm

knight0fdragon wrote:For people who are still having this problem, try this. Go to the directory that ISOMaker is located. Go to the data folder, look for a file called mkiosfs.exe, and set that compatability to windows XP SP3

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. As said though I'm on Win 7 x64, so it may help for those on Win 10. The patching process worked for me years ago, pretty sure I was on this same machine too. It still works fine on my girlfriend's machine though. (Also Win 7)

I'm running the patcher from my C: Drive and have the images mounted in Daemon Tools.

However I recorded a couple of attempts at patching, and have found at least two points where it gives a "File Not Found" error before crashing. Unsure if this is normal or not.

Scen 1 Patching: (14s and 15s)


Scen 2 Patching: (24s and 27s)
BobT36

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 17 2013 12:02am

Re: Isomaker error

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Feb 12 2016 12:53am

your problem looks like a permissions issue, make sure you have full access to the folder
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: Isomaker error

Postby BobT36 » Fri Feb 12 2016 1:03am

I'm the Administrator of my machine with UAC off so it shouldn't be. :S But I know Windows can be a bit stupid sometimes with that.

Which files is it looking for at that point? I'll have a right click script to claim Owner of a directory if I know which.

I'll try disabling my AV (Norton Internet Security) too next time, just in case.
BobT36

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jul 17 2013 12:02am

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest