Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Game reset after battle animation

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Game reset after battle animation

Postby Cullsoft » Sun Sep 14 2014 9:54am

Just ran into an odd glitch...

During the Quonos Vandal battle in Sc1, Irene cast Heal L1 on Julian. The battle animation played out, but once the animation finished the game reset back to the "SF3 Translation Project screen (i.e. what used to be the "Now Loading" screen)!

I haven't noticed this happen before, but occasionally the game has given me "CD read error! Check lens" error meassages (not nearly enough to make it unplayable, but frustrating if I haven't saved for a while). It's possible this occurred because Norton may still be running its weekly scan in the background - the game did seem to be running slower than usual (longer pauses when switching between battlefield and animation screens, occasional slight pauses between battle animation screen loading and characters acting).

Running using SSF v0.09 alpha R4, playing Sc1 PAL with translation patch v15.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Re: Game reset after battle animation

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Sep 14 2014 1:18pm

Can you re-create it?

You should be able to tell if it is caused by Norton (or other software) by shutting everything down except for SSF and trying to re-create it.

If you can make it happen in a predictable place, then it may be an SSF or Patch issue. If not, I would guess something to do with your system. That could mean a software conflict (which I have not heard of any specifically) or that SSF just doesn't have the resources when it wants them.

Completely related advice: Dump Norton and any other bloated "protection" software. Those things hog resources unnecessarily and get tentacles into every corner of the system. If you uninstall Norton, you will see immediate and tangible improvement in the way your computer runs. Although, it will likely not go quietly...

AVG Free is lean and all anyone will ever need for virus software. Spybot and Malware bytes are all anyone will ever need for malware and the like. All free. They are all I ever use and recommend. Every time someone comes to me with a slow computer, they have either Norton or Mcafee installed and it takes me an hour just to remove that crap. I am then anointed as a miracle worker. ;)
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Sun Sep 14 2014 3:07pm

I haven't been able to recreate it, and have been playing SF3 for most of the day, so I'm inclined to say it was a conflict with Norton. Might try recreating it next weekend when it does its weekly scan to confirm.

And on the subject of antivirus software... sorry, no plans to change it. I'll admit Norton was a resource hog when I tried using it several years ago on a low-power computer, but gives me little grief on my current overclocked rig. Surprising you've suggested switching to AVG Free instead of Norton, as it's that crap I got rid of when I switched to Norton! ;) I used to use the older versions as standard, but got fed up with it over the last couple of years as newer versions seemed to miss malware and the like on numerous occasions or flag clean files as infected - not to mention all the ads it kept chucking at me for the full version and other software.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Sep 14 2014 4:53pm

To each his own, as long as you've tried both, you would know which one you like better.

I think the key (for either) is to only install the basic protection and not all the other crap. I only get an ad/invite every couple of months. I don't think AVG Free should be the thing you use for malware.

Back on topic, sounds like the scan might have been the thing that upset SSF.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project