Legacies of Veridocia Pre-alpha Demo Release!

PostPosted: Sun May 25 2014 11:06pm
by Stordarth
Good evening all.

I'm sure that many of you know that for the past 6 years or so, a group of dedicated forum members have been working on what for the longest time was known as the Shining Force 2 Community Project.

To cut a long story short, it was originally intended to be a hack of Shining Force 2, but in the time since we started, various events have revealed that we could not trust SEGA not to shut down the project if they ever got wind of it, and so we've been repurposing the project to have its own identity for a long time. The problem was, we didn't have an engine to repurpose to. For a while we had numerous possibilities, including Blu Drgn's SFPC engine, and Zexr0's engine (RIP, Zexr0.), but for a lot of the time, the future of the project has looked pretty bleak; despite all of our hard work on sprites, portraits, story, organisation, planning and ideas, lack of engine has always been our achilles heel. It has certainly had its effects on the team's morale.

On 4th March of this year, that changed, when a newbie signed up with talk of an engine. Considering the track record of virtually all SF-based fan projects, I followed my curiosity moreso to humour him, having nothing really to lose at this stage.

'Pleasantly surprised' doesn't cut it. Over the past 2 months, I have been working with the engine designer - Broked - and we have put together something that marks our first real breakthrough in bringing Legacies of Veridocia one step closer to being a reality.

So without further ado, it gives those of us who have been working on it great pleasure to bring you the Legacies of Veridocia Pre-alpha Demo.

I know it's tempting to just jump in and play, but you might want to read the following quick start guide whilst you wait for the download.

Readme wrote:---Additional Files---
If you have any problems running the demo, you may need to install the current version of Java. If you still run into problems after doing this, post your issues and bug reports in as much detail as you can in this thread. Don't forget to include your system information.

---Controls---
Arrow Keys to move.
A,S, D are equivalent to A, B, and C on a Mega Drive/Genesis controller, though A doesn't do much. S is the cancel button. D is your confirm button. In-battle Stat Sheets are viewable using D.
F7 toggles between Full Screen and Windowed modes.
Enter brings up the command console, but you shouldn't need that. (I may release a few Console Codes if there is enough demand for them. There are one or two secrets and cheats to play with.)

---Demo Details---
The Demo consists of a Story Scene, a battle, and a post-battle story scene, followed by a basic free roam of the map (there's not much there right now). Once you've played through to the free roam, you can reinitiate the battle as many times as desired by walking into the area where the characters begin the battle.

It's important to note that not all functions are implemented within battle yet. Some of these include:
- Double Attacks
- Counters
- Level Gains (a randomised proxy is used currently)
- Equipping/Unequipping weapons
- Giving Items
- Heal Level 2 (Sharna learns it, but casting it may crash the demo)

---What's Next?---
The next phase will involve further developing the battle system and implementing more of its mechanics, whilst the spriters produce the additional assets needed to continue work on the first chapter. We will also need a team of dedicated mappers, who will need training in how to set the maps up for the engine to read.

We hope you enjoy the demo. It's been a long time coming.

If you're not currently involved in the project, but would like to be, feel free to request access to the Community Project group by PMing either myself or MXC.

Re: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-alpha Demo Release!

PostPosted: Sun May 25 2014 11:13pm
by Corsair
DOWNLOAD THIS SHIT NOW, PEONS.

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 12:51am
by Drakonis
Whyever Broked decided not to post outside of PMs after his first post I hope he still reads what's going on here - Thanks a lot!
I like a lot of what I saw so far and for a pre-alpha build, it's just plain great.
Holding any criticism for the moment, most stuff I'd like to point out is probably due to it being a very early build anyways.

What I especially like, though, are the out of battle animations. They already look very SFII and little details like the character shadows is stuff that doesn't get in the way of a 'retro feel' but that looks really nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 2:25am
by RastaOddeye
Gotta say guys, congrats on a job well done! Many people including myself have been waiting for this for a long time!

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 3:40am
by MXC
:) Enjoy the demo everyone.

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 7:43am
by Lord Oddeye sama
Glad to see this breakthrough despite the obstacles this project's been encountering. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 11:07am
by bum_199
Very nice! I hope having finally found the engine you need continues to open doors for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 2:26pm
by RastaOddeye
According to google chrome this is a malicious file. Could there be a reason behind this?

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 4:48pm
by Swalchy
It's because it's a ZIP file and "isn't commonly downloaded".

There's nothing in the ZIP that is malicious or anything harmful to your computer in any way, shape, or form.

It will cause an awful lot of awesomeness to appear in front of your eyes, however :)

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 4:51pm
by zexxar
My Windows didn't wanted to execute the file because it said it is DANGEROUS !!!!!!1111

But I trusted Stor and was rewarded with a great demo, the gameplay already feels really 'Shining'. Great job on that :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 5:12pm
by RastaOddeye
Lets goooooooo!

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 11:27pm
by Simpelicity
Just as I'm about to go travelling.... won't be able to touch this, much less make videos of it, until much later :(

PostPosted: Mon May 26 2014 11:37pm
by SaCred
Sounds good, i will check it out man.

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 2:15am
by RichterBelmont12
I love it soo far but its a little nitpick but...I can't see the Enemy stats in battle. The Text Box Block it sadly :\

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 2:28am
by ShininGeek
This is awesome! I cant wait for the finished product!

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 3:21am
by Darius
I can't overstate how impressed I am with the progress of this project. Sure, there are glitches here are there where effects won't show up, or enemies will suddenly jump from point A to point B, where battle text doesn't stop and skips..but it's phenomenal.

I'm excited to see this progress and grow. Oozes with swords, man. It's amazing. Play this. If you have the neccesary skills, consider contributing. Fantastic work guys. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 3:43am
by Stordarth
Could you maybe go into more detail on some of these bugs, maybe screenshot them? I've run through it repeatedly and there are no graphical glitches at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 3:59am
by Darius
I'll try and run through it again to single them out, but it'll probably be hard to capture them. The glitches are things moving at a very fast pace..unless the battle effects are supposed to be longer, then it might just be an FPS problem.

I'd have to capture video for the specific things to show up, and I'm not really sure of an easy way to do that without dropping frames. It's meant to run at 60+, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 4:47am
by Stordarth
Yeah it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 6:32am
by Balbaroy
I had just downloaded it and got into the battle when my Father came to my apartment for a quick visit. He used to play Shining Force back in the day a bit and he asked me what I was playing, so I told him it was the playable demo to the game Al and I did some work for. I've told him a bit about it here and there over the years. I played more of it in front of him and he liked what he saw. He said he'd check it out more when he got home. So, from an older old school SF fan, he gave a thumbs up. Fresh to the whole thing, never seeing any of our project before, he was really impressed. He's in his late 50s and he thought it was pretty kick ass. He's quite tech savvy, he's not your stereotypical older fella. He's been on the forefront of technology since I was a tot. First to have a DVR (not that lame ass TiVo shit either) and first to get all sorts of cool things. He had everything connecting with USB before USB became the main thing.

Anyhow, yeah. Positive reviews from him. And from me natch ;)

Just doing some quick bug testing... When Noah is defeated the game says "You have been defeated." and then closes out. I hope this isn't intended. It should at least revert to main screen.

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 12:21pm
by MXC
When defeated, we'll send you to the credits screen which will then have the option of going back to the main screen. For now anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 4:10pm
by Corsair
Ben spreading it to the general public.abd have some feedback. Will post whne I get home

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 7:29pm
by RastaOddeye
Full screen unfortunately didnt work for me so I couldn't see the health bars. Other than that I really enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Tue May 27 2014 7:50pm
by MXC
For any issues, please post your operating system. If you have any issues with fps/ lag, also post your processor and RAM. You can find this information by going to Run-> dxdiag

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 4:03am
by Tyadran
I'm assuming it's over after the battle? :shifty:

Absolutely loved it, mechanics and appearance-wise. I just want to bring a couple of my own personal opinions to the table (nothing mechanicsy-ish that may just not be implemented) for whatever they're worth.

Pros:
WARNING: SPOILER!

And now for the bad stuff. :(
Cons:

-And my personal pet peeve...the writing. Not the main story or ideas that were meant, but the way that they were presented. It wasn't all bad, but some of the dialogue made the writer inside me cry. Honestly, this isn't just an issue with this demo, but with the script that was posted in the Community Project forum whenever that was. It may very well be outdated, but iirc, this seemed to follow it line-for-line. I understand that the SF-style of writing is probably a bit of influence (with it's own personal oddities and campy-ness), but I feel like there's a lot of potential for it to be even greater if the writing was just a little...better. I would strongly suggest getting a couple of editors/writers to go over the script some more. Even better if they're not involved with the storyline at all so they're coming at it more objectively and as if this is all they know about the game as well. I would gladly volunteer my time for this if the group would like me to - I can work within the scenes we have, just make it a little better or a little clearer in places.
As an amateur novelist and GM, the story and world are very important to me, and I would be honored to put some finishing touches and a guiding hand on the script. And if you want me to do any re-writing or writing of new scenes I can totally do that too.

----------

Tl;dr
I like it. I have a couple of nitpicks that are small and will likely be covered/can be ignored in the course of this project, but my only major issue is the quality of the writing, which I would be more than happy to help with. I can provide writerly credentials in the form of some stories I've worked on if need be.

----------

Anyhow, awesome stuff, guys. Keep up the great work. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 10:28am
by Drakonis
Tyadran wrote:And if you want me to do any re-writing or writing of new scenes I can totally do that too.

From what I know we're seriously lacking in Script editors, so just go ahead and and start posting your ideas in the Script thread! Every bit of work helps. :3
Oh, and if you can't post there 'cause you're not part of the SFCP group, shoot MXC or Stor a PM, they should let you in within a day or so.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 1:45pm
by MXC
Technically, I'm the only one that can let people into the group though you can still PM Stor.

Also, yes, post thoughts on the script. I literally begged people to help out with it for over a year and got almost no response. I am by no means a writer but did it out of necessity.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 6:22pm
by SirHedge
I heeded your call initially, MXC, but ended up losing interest after the first couple of pages in the script and ended up not submitting any changes back to the forum. Part of the question is how much are editors just trying to edit the script versus rewriting. I mean, are we allowed to scrap the part about Huun (not saying we should, mind you, but that's ultimately the only unnecessary part of the early script) to tighten things up or just try to make it all sound better?

As for the demo itself, awesome, though I couldn't play it on my work laptop. Both work and home machines use Windows 7, though the work computer has different virus protection (as expected) and that might be the cause of the issue. I've also been having a few issues with Java on that machine, which could be the problem. The game doesn't crash and gives no errors. It just doesn't open when I double click.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 6:30pm
by Tyadran
At the moment I'm working within the bounds of what is already there and just making it sound better and more like a conversation. Noah, for example, seemed to have a couple of times where the formality of his tone fluctuated for no apparent reason. There are also a few times when sentences are just way more colloquial than they need to be.

I'm just coming up on the first battle, though. If I remember correctly from last time I read through the whole script, the writing tended to get iffier as it went on, so I'm mostly anticipating fuller rewrites once I get a chapter or two in. I'll probably put up my edited version of Chapter 1 once I finish that just so it can get checked out.

I just noticed that the text around the battle varies greatly from the script. Going to have to go transcribe that myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 6:36pm
by MXC
As far as script goes, I'm going to respond to some issues in the appropriate thread so we don't continue it here (though this was a good spot for it initially).

Hedge, you are probably correct on those issues being the problem for you (Java or virus protection). If you get a chance, try right-clicking the file and running it as administrator and see what happens. Feedback here, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 7:12pm
by fuseboy
Just wanted to say great work by everyone involved with this project - glad you are still carrying on with the project even if i can't view progress anymore :(

Very impressed with how good everything looks - even though I initially played full screen cos I didnt read instructions!! :blush: Looks excellent at proper resolution.

Everything worked fine - not got much else to say other than I enjoyed the music (not sure if this was done by people in the project or taken from elsewhere).

Keep up the excellent job - looking forward to more :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 8:57pm
by Drakonis
I wondered about the music myself, actually. Was it just taken from somewhere for testing reasons or do we actually some mystery guy working on the music in the background?

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 10:30pm
by MXC
Other artists that have given permission under creative commons or otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed May 28 2014 10:34pm
by SirHedge
Sorry, I forgot to mention originally that I tried to run it as administrator and it didn't work.

EDIT: Apparently my work computer wasn't getting automatic updates for Java. I updated to the latest version, deleted an older unused one, re-enabled the updates, and everything seems to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2014 1:23am
by Pahn
Excellent work.

Battle music is wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2014 1:47am
by FinFish77
I honestly thought an engine was years from being done. This is amazing. Great work.

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2014 3:36am
by ShininGeek
i could possibly do some proofreading of game scripts if it is necessary. writing from scratch isnt one of my strong suits, but i can help with eloquence and grammer

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2014 6:15pm
by Nash Vegas
I'm having trouble getting this to load for me. I have a feeling it's an old Java that's hanging around, but I think I needed that one to play SF3 on my computer..... dilemma's....

PostPosted: Thu May 29 2014 6:35pm
by MXC
Not sure why you need an old (or any) version of Java for SF3 :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 30 2014 12:34pm
by FinFish77
I'm curious, is there any plan on releasing the stand alone engine? Or is this being built specifically for the CP?

PostPosted: Fri May 30 2014 10:29pm
by Nash Vegas
SSF wouldn't work for me without an older Java. I'm not sure why. Well I should say the version of SSF I needed to use since the newest one was buggy for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 31 2014 1:46am
by Broked
Hey Everyone!

I just want to say how excited I am to officially join the community. The amount of enthusiasm and dedication everyone has shown thus far is really amazing. I've always been a big SF fan and have always wanted to take a shot at a fan game, but my lack of artistic skill combined with flakey collaborators have always stopped me in my tracks. Fortunately that isn't the case here, the art and attention to detail of all thing "shining" continues to astound me.

In response to a couple questions I've seen.
- Yes, I definitely do frequent the forums, but I've refrained from posting until now because it was still uncertain whether I'd actually be able to provide anything useful. I'm a coder in my day job, but I've never worked with games in any professional setting and even in my personal life I've never worked on a project this large. With that in mind I wanted to be certain I could handle something of this complexity and size before I wasted anyone's time. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be a challenge for me, but it's one I think I can handle at this point.
- The engine is being specifically developed with this project in mind, but I've tried my best to keep the game content as separate as possible from the actual code. This means it may be useable for similarly styled games with some tweaking. However, I won't be able to provide any additional support for it while I'm working on this project. The source can be found in SVN here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/commrpg/

I've got some questions of my own, but I'll direct those towards the Legacies forum.

Let me know if you have any additional questions

I look forward to meeting the challenges ahead with you all!

PostPosted: Sat May 31 2014 5:05am
by Shadow of a Dragon
I really enjoyed this! My only issue was the sound effects when moving lol. Looks like it has great promise in the future!

PostPosted: Sat May 31 2014 12:43pm
by Rick
I'm late to the party but dayum...

I really like what I was playing around with... the engine is a great base, and with time and more assets, I can see this being incredible!

Still a few nods to SF which we would need to work on, but they're purely aesthetic at this point in time (blue text boxes, yellow life bars etc). Get the foundations right and we can tweak a bit later on.

Overall though I was incredibly impressed!

PostPosted: Sat May 31 2014 5:13pm
by Antman 537
I'm mighty busy with my own projects, but if you still need more script proofreaders I can join on to do that. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01 2014 8:41am
by Wyndigo
http://youtu.be/hqjM971fp0Q
A video for anyone who can't get the demo to play. It's unlisted and comments are off.

You can tell a lot from a game from the first 5 minutes of playtime, and I can say that just from the mechanics alone, this is a game I would play the bejeezus out of. There are a few aesthetic issues, but hey, it's a demo. There's a long road ahead still, so I'll refrain from the picking of nits. I look forward to the portraits getting their animations. =3

I played the game on both my laptop and desktop, (video is desktop) and they both played the game fantastically at a steady 60fps. I noticed the enemy AI is a pick picky. It preferred Sharna --> Huun --> Noah. Not sure if it's going off class or defense ratings. Also the game does indeed close if Noah dies, instead of going to the menu screen. I tried to walk off the map, rolled my face across the keyboard, played offensively, defensively, and I couldn't find any major bugs. 'Tis a fine demo, I look forward to more!

My System Specifications

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02 2014 1:41am
by spidey11588
Words cannot describe how excited I am for this! I've been lurking the forums for years, and this project as well. I had no clue that this engine was this far along! All I have to say is WOW! Looking forward to even more!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03 2014 12:54am
by Dr. Casey
This is definitely a good start. The music used for the first battle was a nicely foreboding piece, and the characters from what little we've seen of them are all well-written and interesting so far; I know that it will probably become impossible to give each individual character any real amount of focus or attention as the cast expands into the dozens, but I look forward to the rest of the game on the story front. The first battle was more appropriately balanced as an introductory battle than either Shining Force or Shining Force 2, since I always felt that the first battles in those games were a bit harder than what the very first battle in a videogame should be (Shining Force II especially, those White Gizmos or whatever they were called were pretty rough). At level 1 the battle was easy but presented a slight danger, and once I advanced to level 2 mid-battle, the fight was pretty much over and the Darkling Oozes might as well have not existed. Just about where things should be for a first battle.

As for advice, the only one I'd have to give would be for there to be some additional buttons to enter Fullscreen mode aside from F7. On my laptop, the F1-F12 buttons have their own special functions they provide, and that gets in the way of them being used for anything else (in PotPlayer for instance, F12 doesn't bring up the File Navigation menu because the button's programmed to toggle Airplane mode on/off instead).

Good game, CP team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03 2014 1:32am
by MXC
If you hold the Fn key on your keyboard, it should toggle to normal F-key defaults :)

There may even be a button on the keyboard "Fn Lock" that can toggle that all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03 2014 8:19am
by Chowwow
Fantastic. Great work, crew. Played this and beat it. Had no trouble running it (but had a little trouble closing the game :roll: ). The Force Units in battle seem to be positioned a little too far to the right in battle -- but that's just me. Leveling up sure makes a big difference! I like that. All that exp really pays off. The little Shining mannerism (shaking nod, tripping, shrinking slightly) the sprites do at pretty much spot on.
And I think Noah is a little hard of hearing...
Again, mindblowingly awesome. What a great experience it was to just sit here and watch the opening scene. So Shining. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05 2014 4:59am
by FinFish77
Hey Broked, I downloaded the file from your SourceForge link but it's only a 40kb .jar file. Is this right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05 2014 5:24am
by Broked
Hey FinFish.

The jar that is featured on the front page of sourceforge is actually just one of the many jars that the engine relies on. I can put a version of the engine on the front page, but without resources it won't do anything. Are you looking to view the source? If so, you can view it via the "code" tab or if you prefer I could upload it as a zip file.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 2014 3:29pm
by Simpelicity
Okay so I have the most recent version of Java, and I'm still running into some problems, at the end. After the mage makes us black out, it enters a roaming phase in the courtyard (with you controling Noah), and there's really not much happening. When I press ESC there's a menu that flashes by before disappearing, so I assume that's where we leave off, but the menu just flashes by, I can't use it, and basically I'm stuck in the game, so to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20 2014 3:49pm
by Broked
Hey Simpelicity,

The "escape" menu is just a place holder at the moment and doesn't actually have any function which is why I've made it close immediately. To exit the game you can either alt-f4 or window the screen and "x-out" as usual. You're correct though that it is little awkward not to have an obvious way out of the demo, I'll make sure to implement the exit menu for the next release. Thanks for trying it out!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 2014 3:03pm
by Simpelicity
FYI :

I don't really expect it to do much, but still, it's the least I can do. It'll be my channel intro for a while too, that'll give it a little more visibility while it lasts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 2014 10:37pm
by Balbaroy
Good video, but you didn't include that you can replay the battle by walking into the Left set of bushes that you began the battle from.

As an aside, I've been showing this to other friends. On one play, Sharna, Huun and Noah all missed the ooze early in the battle and it ultimately led Sharna to get cornered and killed. By the time they had killed off Huun, the ooze had dodged twice more and I just closed the game and assured my friend that what he just experienced was not the standard. He had familiarity with SRPGs before (but not Shining Force). All in all he liked it, but the RNG really gave him the what's what, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21 2014 10:41pm
by Simpelicity
Didn't explain the controls either. Neither are particularly important IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28 2014 12:33am
by Demonic Soul
Just downloaded this and played. Amazing job!!! Brings a great thirst for more! I encountered no bugs. Couldn't get fullscreen to work though. Excited for the future. You guys taking donations?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28 2014 1:03am
by Stordarth
Well, we're a non-profit project. Donations are a bit of a grey area. On the one hand, it'd be nice to have them. On the other, I'm not entirely sure how we would work it out. So many people have contributed. How would we allocate donations?

As nice as it would be, it's probably best for the project if we continue on as we are. At least until A serious discussion can be had on the subject. There may be a legal caveat with Broked's engine that prohibits us from accepting donations that I would need to ask about before anything else.

Naturally, I'm happy you liked what you saw enough that you think us worthy of a donation. I hope you'll stick with our progress.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01 2014 3:36pm
by b4mv
I'd love to give this a try, but I can't get it to open for me.

I tried double clicking the icon
I tried Right clicking and Run As Admin

Any ideas?

Win 7 Pro x64
UAC is Off.
Domain Environment
Intel i3-2130
4GB Ram
DirectX 11
Integrated Intel HD Graphics
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319
Java 7 Update 60 - 7.0.600

EDIT:

Alright. After deleting the older versions of Java off the PC, It's running fine. Clean 61FPS in Windowed.
Can confirm no issues with Full Screen on Dual Monitors as well.
Feels great to play, I can't wait to see where this project goes.

Great work to all involved!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03 2014 5:19am
by Earl
Stordarth wrote:As nice as it would be, it's probably best for the project if we continue on as we are. At least until A serious discussion can be had on the subject.

Of course, SFC itself could always benefit from donations if other arrangements are problematic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06 2014 4:11am
by Ansa
Just saw this thread few days ago (yeah thats terrible I know XD)

Played it, was awesome. Great work so far guys can't wait to see more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11 2014 5:48am
by punkazzz
Tears of joy !!! I have been waiting for this for like forever now. Glad you guys found a suitable engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 2014 12:22am
by Loftus
Wow, awesome to see how things have progressed. Great job everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18 2014 4:48am
by Corsair
Tell your friends!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 2014 5:29pm
by Pinkheart
I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

Is it something I should be worried about?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 2014 9:23pm
by Hirsute
Amazing work. I am stunned by the engine. I always hoped you guys would pull it off, but I thought it would take much longer to get a working engine. Everything about it looks either completely stunning or very promising. Corsair, your artwork is fabulous on the battle sprites especially. The battle theme music is spectacular. Overall just a really really well-done demo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 2014 9:28pm
by Stordarth
Pinkheart wrote:I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

I can assure you that the file is not malicious in any way. I scanned it with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes before putting it out there. Chrome just doesn't recognise the file, so automatically assumes it's bad.

Try downloading it using another browser if Chrome won't play nice.

Hirsute: Welcome back, bud. Glad you liked it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 2014 10:40pm
by Simpelicity
Pinkheart wrote:I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

I'll second what Stor said here. What you saw me play in the video was that file. My computer still hasn't come down with an infection, so don't worry, it's safe :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 2014 6:50pm
by Pinkheart
So I de-activated "Enable phishing and malware protection" and I could download it with chrome.

I think this is great. I get often sceptical when fans get together and they decide to -remake- a game but with new graphics, sounds and music because it often fall in the category of "this is nice but I'd rather play shining force at this point" . However, I assure you that it is not the case with Legacies of Veridocia. The sprites are just amazing. Everything is so well polished. The portrait are flawless, the battle scenery as well. The monsters sprite look nice so far. I even prefered the spell effects (visual) better. I never was a big fan of the fairies flying around.

The music is great. I liked the hero attack music which is a big must since it'll stick for awhile if you know what I mean. The battle music was also great. I did not like the monster attack however, it's a matter of opinion at this point. The music overall were a bit distant from the shining force 1-2. I like that it is darker than shining force 2. The quality is better but it stick a bit in the nostalgia. It's like a mix of Shining force CD where the music is more recent, using new technology but unlike shining force CD, you guys managed to keep the drum kits style present. You guys found a nice balance. In short words, as we play for the first time, we can't help but notice a little difference with the style but we quickly go along with it as it feels close to the "shining force feeling".

The sound effect works. In my case I thought the sounds were perfect so far. It is slightly different (obviously since they're new sounds...) but it felt very accurate to the shining force series. It may seems innocent but when it's done wrong, it can be pretty annoying. For example, the latest starcraft heart of the swarn opening trailer is so amazing, but I got so pissed when I heard the Wilhelm scream in it, it just totally pulled me off.

Gameplay ; well it's shining force. We "fan boys" can be very picky. If anything is slightly off, or different, it falls in the category "stupid game that pretends to be a shining force fan game". With legacies of Veridocia, it's flawless. I mean it's shining force and it's great and most importantly, it's fun!

There were a couple things that weren't working but I'm pretty much (99.99%) certain that you guys know and simply will implement these function later one and that at the moment, you guys simply just layered the foundations for those functions (i.e dropping item -> battle sprite change, giving item, etc). I may have a slight suggestion. Though feel free to discard this cause I am OCD with details. On my first play through, I didn't notice at all that the unavailable actions were "grayed out". At first I thought it was somewhat just coded to be blocked like when I tried to do magic when a character with no magic abilities and I was like "oh okay then". It is later on that I realized that the icon was slightly de-saturated, indicating it was unavailable. Now after awhile I got used to it and I guess it is fine however, In my humble opinion, I would suggest to make it slightly more "blatant". As a first play through, when playing game, any game in general, available and unavailable stuff is always something that should be deduced in a blink of an eye. It's like if you were playing some game, you open your inventory and some items are not for your class, when you go to the vendor, I'd sell every item I can't use without "pausing". It's a bit hard to explain and I may sound excessive but anyway I just thought id mention lol. Btw I absolutely adore the action icons. So colorful haha. Very well detailed and nicely done. I prefer those that you've made over the gold-ish icons from the original games.

Weeellllllllllll so far so good. All I can say is keep up the good work. You guys got some solid, decent foundations. I'm sure there is plenty of work to be done, but you guys got this right and I raise my hat off to you folks. I'm also frustrated because it is my dream to create my own shining force ; I maybe have 50 pages of Ideas that I wrote down and such and seeing how you guys accomplished this!....It brings it back up haha. I being on the lookout for any engine-map making w/e thing that comes around, but having no programming knowledge is difficult at this time. Knowing that, I find it even more impressive that you guys pulled this off.

Btw sorry for bad english, I'm so rusty, heh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 2014 10:12pm
by Hirsute
Pinkheart wrote:For example, the latest starcraft heart of the swarn opening trailer is so amazing, but I got so pissed when I heard the Wilhelm scream in it, it just totally pulled me off.

I feel the same way. I hate that scream.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 2014 2:11pm
by T300
This is fantastic. amazing, thank you!

ONE CRITICISM :

The sound it makes when a Heal is cast on a Force member? Ughhh!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 2014 4:36pm
by Stordarth
The sound effects were never gonna be super quality. I had to make them all myself using sfxr an bfxr.

I could look into changing it furthet down the line if by chance I should stumble onto a more fitting sound effect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 2014 9:19pm
by T300
Just an observation :) What you've done, and everyone else on the team, is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 2014 12:33am
by FinFish77
One quick question. Are the shadows staying? I don't have a problem with them, just curious. They're the one thing I noticed that look different from other SF's.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 2014 12:54am
by MXC
Unless they become broken for some reason, the shadows will stay. Glad you noticed :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17 2014 7:34pm
by Christine
I liked playing this. I'm not so sure about the monster style of enemies, but that's up to taste I suppose. If there's something I'd suggest would be to put the name of the character.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17 2014 10:38pm
by Tmetal5788
Had a lot of fun playing this. Am I dumb and couldn't figure out how to proceed or is it just the one battle? Wanted more immediately. Good job to everyone working on this!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17 2014 10:45pm
by Stordarth
Tmetal5788 wrote:Had a lot of fun playing this. Am I dumb and couldn't figure out how to proceed or is it just the one battle? Wanted more immediately. Good job to everyone working on this!!

It's just a demo of the first battle for now. The game is still very early stages, despite 6 years of work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 2014 12:13pm
by Kioki
Let us know when there gonna be more of this game ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24 2014 5:56am
by Corsair
Work continues of course.

Just reaaaal slow like because we all have jobs and lives and stuff.

And I have like 9 Metal shows to attend by the years end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09 2014 10:46am
by tggrng123
:D I just played it and I love pretty much every aspect of it! The music is very appealing; it's just a tad bit loud though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18 2014 6:29am
by nateburke
its been awhile guys just decided to p[op in and check on things awesome job also will the full game be playable on mac i know i can't play the demo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 2014 2:08pm
by Stordarth
There are at present no plans for mac support. If enough people express interest in a mac version, Broked may be able to manage it, but it's a niche title as it is.

We have looked into android support but even that is only speculative right now. Windows is the only guranteed platform.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2014 1:46am
by aanderse
so is the code open for contributions? is it hosted somewhere like sourceforge, github, etc... ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 2014 3:36am
by Broked
I posted the link quite a while ago, but to save you some searching here it is again.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/commrpg/

It is a SVN repo. Let me know if you have questions or comments. A quick note: this includes code changes that weren't in the demo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2014 3:46am
by aanderse
I don't have Windows so I can't just run the exe provided in the download... Could you possibly include the art assets and possibly jar file dependencies in the svn repository?

EDIT: Finally managed to guess all of your dependencies... it builds on my machine now and even runs, but crashes because I don't have any of the art assets. I'd love to try this out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 2014 4:54pm
by Broked
aanderse - I just finished uploading everything to SVN. Make sure to check the "Files" tab to get the required libraries. LWGL has a native library dependency that you'll have to set based on what file system you are using.

Here's a page that describes how to setup slick2D (which is built on LWGL) in eclipse
http://slick.ninjacave.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setting_up_Slick2D_with_Eclipse

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 2014 4:41am
by aanderse
Awesome, thanks!

I think your latest commit is a little bit off, though, because currently trunk won't compile... The spell implementations are still based off of the Spell class, though I think you meant to base them off of the JSpell class?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 2014 5:21pm
by Broked
Sorry about that, SVN was being fickle in deleting parts. You should be set now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08 2014 7:14pm
by aanderse
All fixed up, thanks.

And now that I've finally played the demo... someone buy this team a round of beer! I am so impressed by this! I finally understand what all the praise has been about! The artwork is fantastic, the music works so well with everything, and the engine is amazing! I've never been so impressed with any shining fan made project as I have been with this one!

Keep up the great work everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09 2014 4:22pm
by Plazzain
Man, that was awesome. I really enjoyed playing this demo. If you need any help with the mundane work, such as proof reading and text, give me a shout out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11 2014 5:06am
by Corsair
aanderse wrote:All fixed up, thanks.

And now that I've finally played the demo... someone buy this team a round of beer! I am so impressed by this! I finally understand what all the praise has been about! The artwork is fantastic, the music works so well with everything, and the engine is amazing! I've never been so impressed with any shining fan made project as I have been with this one!

Keep up the great work everyone!

Hey, thanks for taking the effort to get it up and play it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 2015 4:00pm
by Ashley
Potentially dumb question: Will this play on a Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 2015 4:10pm
by Broked
Hey Ashley,

Supposedly this should be able to play on a Mac. However, I've had no way to verify this as I do not own one myself. I'm guessing that none of the builds that were initially released will be mac compatible, but if you're interested in testing it out I can try to put together a mac-build sometime today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 2015 8:45pm
by Ashley
That would be great! I'm definitely happy to test. Just send me a PM when you're ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07 2015 7:58pm
by Eliaquim
AMAZING JOB!!! It's great! If i know anything that could help you, i offer you my support! But i don't know nothing =/
But, the game is amazing! I will be waiting to play it!
Sorry for my bad english ^^''

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 2015 9:53am
by Dark Link
It is pretty fantastic to see all of the hard work finally show some legitimate results. The art looks great in game (for the most part), and it plays about as well as any other Shining game. I have a few minor criticisms, but in the state the game currently is in , minor nit-picking are not terribly important. Keep doing awesome work!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 2015 10:44pm
by Corsair
OH MY GOD YOU'RE ALIVE

Come back, I need help ;_;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 2015 1:50am
by Dark Link
As per usual, I cannot fully commit to the project (real life etc.), but if there is anything within my level of skill to help with, I'll give it a shot. At the very least, I'll try to be a bit more consistent in checking the forums so I can give my thoughts and help out from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 2015 2:38am
by MXC
Thought I would pop in to say that I finished the first version of the script today. It will need a few passes for sure, but it is at least a skeleton :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 2015 4:09am
by Simpelicity
What script is that? The story script? Or some coding script?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 2015 1:03pm
by MXC
The character dialogue. Broked is tackling the coding/engine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 2015 10:32pm
by punkazzz
Hey guys. Just dropped in to check on the community project. What's the status ? How much longer do we all have to wait for a finer version ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 2015 10:55pm
by MXC
As soon battle 2 is done, we'll have an update but probably not to the public. It hasn't been talked about a ton but I certainly want to leave most of what we do as a surprise :)

Eventually the demo will be updated though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 2015 8:35pm
by sonicx5040
Hot Damn!
My first time back to the SC, and here I find this!
This is damn amazing, and I cannot wait for the full release.

If needed, I am a writer, and musician, though an amateur at making music.
I could help with the story, or try to compose some music for it. I already have a few songs that need a project to go to. Though, a couple may not fit so much. You probably want only instrumental, and a couple of mine have softcore dubstep.

{Plus also, I have no life, aside from school :damnit: }
{So I can put in a good amount of time~}

Anyways, this is awesome, and I can't wait for it to be finished!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 2015 8:56pm
by MXC
I've added you to the group to get access into the sub-forum. Take a look around and see where you would like to contribute. We definitely need music and it would be nice for someone to review my script :) Just let us know!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14 2015 10:00pm
by stefanos2k10
Gave This a try pretty good can't wait till it pocks up steam good work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15 2015 8:46am
by stefanos2k10
gave this a whirl really enjoyed the old skool feel to this game keep up the good work

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 2015 12:06am
by macadoum
I also hope that this project will come to an (good) end.

PostPosted: Sun May 03 2015 4:00am
by Stordarth
It's been nearly a year since we launched this demo. I figured I should make a public announcement regarding our progress.

This year has largely been an engine, planning and mechanics-focused one. A lot has gone on under the hood of the development tools so that development going forward will be simpler, more efficient, and less like busywork. A lot of the game mechanics, such as spells, elements, character stat growths have been hammered out to at least serve as a springboard. The first draft of the script has also been fully completed. As such, actual game content hasn't developed overly far beyond what was in the demo.

A number of key decisions have been made that have also had an impact: Corsair and the team decided that we wanted smoother animations for the battle assets. To give you all an example of what we're aiming for, here are a few images to showcase what Corsair has been working on.

Here are the original 3 heroes, with new smooth animations:

Image Image Image

And here is a comparison of Olivia, original animation vs new:

Image Image

There are many more frames of animation involved for this, and converting them all has been - and will continue to be - no mean feat. But I think you'll all agree that the improved look will be worth it.

So we're not giving up, and the project is very much alive. And we have had some progress, content-wise. Broked has designed a rough scene following the events of battle 1, and the basics of battle 2 are also in there. They need a bit more refining, and once we're happy with the state of it, we'll release a second pre-alpha demo. I had hoped to wait until chapter one was completed, but it's been nearly a year, and you've been very patient as it is - you guys deserve it. Hopefully, all of the under-the-hood developments will mean that future updates beyond the next one will be more prompt.

Watch this space.

PostPosted: Sun May 03 2015 5:28am
by Simpelicity
Always watching. And the new sprites look fantastic. Good job! ^.^

PostPosted: Sun May 03 2015 3:16pm
by Tyadran
I absolutely love the new sprites, and I'm sure it's been noticed, but...there's one tiny rogue black pixel in the bottom-right of Sharna's block animation. Just off the corner of her robe.

PostPosted: Fri May 08 2015 9:58pm
by Corsair
What you see there is not a 100% final state. Before any major updates, I am going to comb over any existing sprites and take care of little issues like that as they crop up.

I plan on using this as a portfolio of sorts.

PostPosted: Sun May 10 2015 8:02am
by ShadowDragon
this is looking amazing so far. I'd definitely would buy this game on Steam for $15

PostPosted: Sun May 24 2015 8:52pm
by stefanos2k10
cant wait for alpha 2

PostPosted: Mon May 25 2015 7:18pm
by sbloom85
I really should come here more often. This was a nice demo, the opening reminded me of Shining Force Gaiden 1; the animations are smooth; the music was nice; the color tones are reminiscent to the original Shining Force and the portraits were very well drawn.

I hope to see more. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11 2015 8:24pm
by Ritualofthetrout
I've gotta say this looks really promising. Nice work to everyone involved. I can't wait to see the next beta release.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 2015 9:35am
by Flygon
I know I'm several months late, but those animations are incredible!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 2015 12:57pm
by punkazzz
Damnnnn... Those are some sexy sprites. Loving the work you've done. Thanks for the update Stor. Its given me quite some hope cause i was getting impatient. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19 2015 5:47pm
by NekomeKozo
If it helps (it probably doesn't) the Fire Emblem creator has been using a recently released game engine known as SRPG Studio for his current project.

His own project seems to be coming along pretty well with it, but for the lack of an artist. If there are troubles with the BYO game engine direction and the language barrier isn't super awful, it might be a good alternative. Could also be a fine foundation for future fan projects, provided someone wants to help with localizing it for the monolingual among us. :)

Art, updates and progress are looking good, fellas. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02 2015 2:06pm
by acsound
NekomeKozo wrote:If it helps (it probably doesn't) the Fire Emblem creator has been using a recently released game engine known as SRPG Studio for his current project.

His own project seems to be coming along pretty well with it, but for the lack of an artist. If there are troubles with the BYO game engine direction and the language barrier isn't super awful, it might be a good alternative. Could also be a fine foundation for future fan projects, provided someone wants to help with localizing it for the monolingual among us. :)

Art, updates and progress are looking good, fellas. Keep it up!

SRPG Studio does look like a cool game engine, but (based on the promo video) it doesn't look like it's all that customizable (can't import own graphics and sound); then again, my Japanese knowledge is non-existent beyond what little I've gleaned from watching anime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03 2015 2:48am
by Kalagaraj
Man this is something I wish I could assist with...
Sadly I'm not much of a sprite animator (only 3D).
Oh well... Looks great guys keep it up, I played the demo and honestly can't wait
to see the final version, no matter how long it takes. (Since there is little chance SEGA will ever make a real Shining Force game again.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19 2015 12:10pm
by SladeRift
If this was on steam i would have paid an early access for just the first battle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 2015 3:43pm
by stefanos2k10
any news on progress?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 2015 4:38am
by bpislife
Kickstarter anyone? I know I would contribute money towards this. That first battle was brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01 2015 2:29am
by Corsair
Weird legal shit prevents us from going down that road, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02 2015 5:18pm
by acsound
Yeah: game development companies have to defend their copyright, or they'll lose it.

(Goofy OT aside: I *still* say that the final boss should have been named "Calzone"...and now I'm hungry. :D)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 2015 2:22am
by Corsair
acsound wrote:Yeah: game development companies have to defend their copyright, or they'll lose it.

(Goofy OT aside: I *still* say that the final boss should have been named "Calzone"...and now I'm hungry. :D)

It's not that so much as I think either Broked is locked into some kind of conflict-of-interest clause or there is some other even more byzantine legal maze preventing it. I'm fuzzy on the details. Suffice it to say, based on what little I know of copyright/trademark law, nothing we're doing actually violates anything, but even if that weren't the case I'd prefer to not dance particularly close to any lawyer-fires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 2015 6:57pm
by Daria
Corsair wrote:Weird legal shit prevents us from going down that road, unfortunately.

It's not a Shining Game and you guys are drawing resources from scratch. What's the legal issue?

Edit: You can't copyright an idea. Blatant clones are a-ok. Just look at FEDA for a real world example. As long as you're not using any of Sega's work, code, or trademarks you're in the clear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 2015 7:02pm
by MXC
Conflict with our coder's job, basically.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 2015 10:58pm
by Simpelicity
He's using stuff he got from his job?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2015 8:14pm
by Broked
No I'm not using anything from my job, that would definitely be illegal. However, I'm under a contract that stipulates that if I make money from an outside project then that project becomes property of my employer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 2015 11:17pm
by MXC
Which I kind of like since it doesn't for us to make the tough decision about whether or not to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 2015 8:17am
by Corsair
And it saves us the hassle of deciding who gets paid what. That just wouldn't end well for anyone.

Hell. Everyone gets a little extra for having to deal with me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 2015 9:39pm
by Stordarth
Having my life enriched by everyone's presence is payment enough.

#bullshit :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04 2016 7:49am
by Michael231
SFC itself could always benefit from donations if other arrangements are problematic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11 2016 3:52am
by Corsair
Whew.

I was a little bit concerned that you'd developed esteem for your fellow man.

That said - We're all still working, all behind-the-curtains and whatnot. Progress is being made on the script, I'm still doing stuff in the visual department.

Don't want folks thinking that we're not moving forward. Don't get me wrong, progress is slow, but progress is progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 2016 1:52am
by Chaoswizard98
Corsair wrote:Don't get me wrong, progress is slow, but progress is progress.

Release or Riot! :)

Out of curiosity, how far will the next demo take you in terms of the overall game?
Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to it! Keep up the hard work everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 2016 1:56pm
by MXC
About as far as before but with more to do prior.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19 2016 12:22pm
by Tarrus
Congratulations for the project, it is a fantastic idea.
I try the game: it's impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2016 10:15pm
by Sir Astral
The smooth battle sprite animations look great. Best of luck with everything - I'm looking forward to the end result, and everything in between!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 2016 4:11pm
by stefanos2k10
any news on an update?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 2016 2:05pm
by MXC
Slowly crawling toward a new release but there are still a number of things to be done. I might be able to provide a detailed response in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 2016 4:25am
by Simpelicity
That'd be lovely

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 2016 5:49am
by sobesxx
I've been searching for another game the came close to the shining series and i just don't find anything worth while. I played your demo as was very pleased! keep up the good work!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 11:19pm
by boogieman
You might need some mirrors for the download, the account has been suspended, said too much useage.

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 11:35pm
by Stordarth
I had noticed it a few days ago but I figured it was just a single day. Looks like I'll have to contact them to find out what's wrong, since I doubt that this project would have drawn enough attention to reach the bandwidth limit.

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 11:43pm
by boogieman
Stordarth wrote:I had noticed it a few days ago but I figured it was just a single day. Looks like I'll have to contact them to find out what's wrong, since I doubt that this project would have drawn enough attention to reach the bandwidth limit.

Cool, thanks for checking into it! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30 2016 11:55pm
by Stordarth
Dropbox support is basically a waste of time and an exercise in futility.

I notice that this only seems to have started since I uploaded the Battle Royale hacks to my dropbox. I've relocated those to a new mirror since they're the more popular files, so we'll see if that fixes it.

Might need to look for another provider for the next demo, given how flaky dropbox seems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13 2016 8:00pm
by KnightDmG
So updated download available? I'd love to get my hands on this :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 2016 10:40pm
by Corsair
Progress is slow, but progress is progress.

A lot of that is my fault, due to my not having had as much time/energy to commit to the visual development, but we're gettin' there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 2016 8:12pm
by boogieman
I tried it again and the link is still down. It shows up but when you try to download it still says too much traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 2016 11:32am
by rashlin
Hi,

I'm one of those silent observers and a huge fan of the SF saga, heck I bought my 3DS solely to play Fire Emblem which is closest game series to the original SF saga.
I'm also a programmer, mainly excels in Python but I can be of help with the project and I'll gladly help.
btw - the link is still down...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 2016 10:52pm
by UtoShining
Tarrus wrote:Congratulations for the project, it is a fantastic idea.
I try the game: it's impressive.

Where download it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 2016 4:50pm
by Tuck
any update on a new download Link?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 2016 8:07pm
by Stordarth
I've added a new temporary mirror. Going to deactivate the current link to see if it allows dropbox to cool off with its banning of my files.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 2016 7:54pm
by Devonathan
I was able to download the demo. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 2016 10:18pm
by SunkDevifull
It would be great you think about the possibility of translate this project (to spanish in my case), any tool maybe... especially in a forum like this, hehe
Thanks anyway for your effort!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 2016 6:50pm
by xMasterSNESx
Sadly, I'm not able to play this game! Everytime I try to launch it, it creates a error log :-:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 2016 11:42pm
by Stordarth
xMasterSNESx wrote:Sadly, I'm not able to play this game! Everytime I try to launch it, it creates a error log :-:

Can you give us information about your PC, and a little more information on the error? You can open the error log in notepad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 2016 2:08am
by valhalla
I also have problem to launch the game.

the error log is:
Code: Select all
Unable to determine Slick build number
-------
ImportError: No module named PanelRender

at org.python.core.Py.ImportError(Py.java:296)
   at org.python.core.imp.import_first(imp.java:774)
   at org.python.core.imp.import_module_level(imp.java:856)
   at org.python.core.imp.importName(imp.java:936)
   at org.python.core.ImportFunction.__call__(__builtin__.java:1278)
   at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:403)
   at mb.jython.JythonObjectFactory.<init>(JythonObjectFactory.java:46)
   at mb.jython.JythonObjectFactory.<init>(JythonObjectFactory.java:54)
   at mb.jython.GlobalPythonFactory.intialize(GlobalPythonFactory.java:56)
   at mb.gl2.loading.LoadingState.update(LoadingState.java:142)
   at org.newdawn.slick.state.StateBasedGame.update(StateBasedGame.java:266)
   at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:663)
   at mb.fc.game.ui.FCGameContainer.gameLoop(FCGameContainer.java:41)
   at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.start(AppGameContainer.java:321)
   at mb.fc.engine.CommRPG.main(CommRPG.java:159)
-------
org.newdawn.slick.SlickException: Game.update() failure - check the game code.
   at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:669)
-------
Unable to determine Slick build number
-------
ImportError: No module named PanelRender

at org.python.core.Py.ImportError(Py.java:296)
   at org.python.core.imp.import_first(imp.java:774)
   at org.python.core.imp.import_module_level(imp.java:856)
   at org.python.core.imp.importName(imp.java:936)
   at org.python.core.ImportFunction.__call__(__builtin__.java:1278)
   at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:403)
   at mb.jython.JythonObjectFactory.<init>(JythonObjectFactory.java:46)
   at mb.jython.JythonObjectFactory.<init>(JythonObjectFactory.java:54)
   at mb.jython.GlobalPythonFactory.intialize(GlobalPythonFactory.java:56)
   at mb.gl2.loading.LoadingState.update(LoadingState.java:142)
   at org.newdawn.slick.state.StateBasedGame.update(StateBasedGame.java:266)
   at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:663)
-------
org.newdawn.slick.SlickException: Game.update() failure - check the game code.
   at org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer.updateAndRender(GameContainer.java:669)
-------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 2016 2:48am
by Broked
What operating system are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 2016 3:21am
by ronnen
Worth asking also what version JRE valhalla is using?

So, yeah was wondering if that demo (made quite a while ago) was using a version of LWJGL recent enough to have Mac support; but the error logs don't quite look right for that to be the cause. Not to mention, at least on Yosemite, given the way the demo is packaged it tells you to GTFO by default; I assume I could get it to at least attempt to launch if I wanted to put in effort but... nah.

I downloaded the demo and confirmed it runs on my windows 10 and windows 7 boxes respectively.
I was also able to get it to run on RHEL 7.
All boxes on latest Java 8.
All boxes 64 bit.
Also confirmed that the application package does seem to contain a "LegaciesDemo/scripts/PanelRender.py" which is what the error is referring to... so not a bad package.

On a different note, I noticed all boxes generated two errors with demo in all cases (even though they seemed to run fine):
1. Is the ubiquitous "Unable to determine Slick build number" ... love that one.
2. It generated an hs_err_pid file complaining of access right violations in the app, specifically OPENGL32.dll.

I PM'd you the contents of the file.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 2016 4:43am
by valhalla
JRE: version 8 update 102

sorry for that I didn't explain very clearly.
When I launch the game, I can see the title.
And then I press [Enter] to start the game, It starts Loading package.
When it loaded 65/67, the error occurred.
just like this
error.png

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14 2016 3:46am
by Stordarth
Well, we started building this engine before Java version 8 existed. Try installing Java 7 alongside your current installation, and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14 2016 5:52pm
by ronnen
Stordarth wrote:Well, we started building this engine before Java version 8 existed. Try installing Java 7 alongside your current installation, and see if that helps.

Which is almost undoubtedly why I got the access exception logs. However, my game ran correctly on Java 8 on multiple machines, so probably not the primary cause of his error.

Python module seems to be what's failing for valhalla more than anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06 2016 1:45am
by Frognog
Just finished playing and I can't wait to see how this develops. Keep up the awesome work!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2017 5:38pm
by stefanos2k10
any news on this?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22 2017 11:07pm
by Corsair
Work continues albeit as slowly as ever. Partially my fault, but work continues nonetheless.

Expect more "soon"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 2017 5:28pm
by Luggart
Im lazy and dont wanna read all 169 replies, so what can i do to support this project, aside from directly working on the project? (I dont think i have skills that could help) but want to help make sure it finishes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27 2017 6:35pm
by MXC
Extra hands are really what we need to keep this project alive. Outside of that, whenever we can release a new demo, any support and sharing of that will be helpful. With any luck, our efforts in promoting the game will grab the attention of some people that can come in and help :)

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 2:06am
by Simpelicity
Hey Stor I notice that your signature now has a link to a website for Legacies of Veridocia. Any other news for the game?

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 2:13am
by MXC
That's for a separate project. It's a SFC RPGG game that shares the name and slightly ties to the actual project.

I don't have any new myself and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work on it for a few weeks/months. I'm currently going through a move of residence and I'm not sure I'll have much time to sit down and concentrate on the game. I'd really really like to get a demo out soon but I'm not sure how feasible that is. Stor and Corsair might have more to say on the matter.

PostPosted: Wed May 10 2017 2:14am
by Simpelicity
Alright gotcha.

My part comes when the demo comes out, so I'll keep an eye out for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18 2017 4:17pm
by stefanos2k10
any updates?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20 2017 5:59pm
by Drakonis
stefanos2k10 wrote:any updates?

At the moment I am unable to say much more than "we're still working on it".
Progress has picked up a bit lately due to more help from Sir Isaac Lemon.

I'm hopeful that we might be able to present something new soon™!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 2017 12:52pm
by Bambix
Wow, you guys are awesome!

I can't wait to play this :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 2017 6:46am
by Explothon
I am very sorry, but i can't send messages, they are always go to outbox folder....one of them is in this folder almost a year
Can anyone help me, please?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 2017 4:09pm
by MXC
Sounds like the person you sent it to simply hasn't read it.