Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Legacies of Veridocia Pre-alpha Demo Release!

SFC Community Project

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Legacies of Veridocia Pre-alpha Demo Release!

Postby Earl » Thu Jul 03 2014 5:19am

Stordarth wrote:As nice as it would be, it's probably best for the project if we continue on as we are. At least until A serious discussion can be had on the subject.

Of course, SFC itself could always benefit from donations if other arrangements are problematic.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Ansa » Sun Jul 06 2014 4:11am

Just saw this thread few days ago (yeah thats terrible I know XD)

Played it, was awesome. Great work so far guys can't wait to see more.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby punkazzz » Fri Jul 11 2014 5:48am

Tears of joy !!! I have been waiting for this for like forever now. Glad you guys found a suitable engine.
The cake is a Lie !!!
The cake is a Lie !!!
punkazzz

Postby Loftus » Wed Jul 16 2014 12:22am

Wow, awesome to see how things have progressed. Great job everyone!
There are no limits.
There are no limits.
Loftus

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Fri Jul 18 2014 4:48am

Tell your friends!
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Pinkheart » Wed Jul 30 2014 5:29pm

I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

Is it something I should be worried about?
Pinkheart

Postby Hirsute » Fri Aug 01 2014 9:23pm

Amazing work. I am stunned by the engine. I always hoped you guys would pull it off, but I thought it would take much longer to get a working engine. Everything about it looks either completely stunning or very promising. Corsair, your artwork is fabulous on the battle sprites especially. The battle theme music is spectacular. Overall just a really really well-done demo.
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Fri Aug 01 2014 9:28pm

Pinkheart wrote:I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

I can assure you that the file is not malicious in any way. I scanned it with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes before putting it out there. Chrome just doesn't recognise the file, so automatically assumes it's bad.

Try downloading it using another browser if Chrome won't play nice.

Hirsute: Welcome back, bud. Glad you liked it.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Fri Aug 01 2014 10:40pm

Pinkheart wrote:I was having a new hobby which is creating music with fruity loops. Was trying to cover some shining force stuff when I stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIWoYU ... xVMlM1AffA :P and now you guys got my attention. I have tried to download your demo to see it for myself however I get a message "Legacies_of_Veridocia_Demo_1-04.zip is malicious, and chrome has blocked it."

I'll second what Stor said here. What you saw me play in the video was that file. My computer still hasn't come down with an infection, so don't worry, it's safe :)
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Pinkheart » Sat Aug 02 2014 6:50pm

So I de-activated "Enable phishing and malware protection" and I could download it with chrome.

I think this is great. I get often sceptical when fans get together and they decide to -remake- a game but with new graphics, sounds and music because it often fall in the category of "this is nice but I'd rather play shining force at this point" . However, I assure you that it is not the case with Legacies of Veridocia. The sprites are just amazing. Everything is so well polished. The portrait are flawless, the battle scenery as well. The monsters sprite look nice so far. I even prefered the spell effects (visual) better. I never was a big fan of the fairies flying around.

The music is great. I liked the hero attack music which is a big must since it'll stick for awhile if you know what I mean. The battle music was also great. I did not like the monster attack however, it's a matter of opinion at this point. The music overall were a bit distant from the shining force 1-2. I like that it is darker than shining force 2. The quality is better but it stick a bit in the nostalgia. It's like a mix of Shining force CD where the music is more recent, using new technology but unlike shining force CD, you guys managed to keep the drum kits style present. You guys found a nice balance. In short words, as we play for the first time, we can't help but notice a little difference with the style but we quickly go along with it as it feels close to the "shining force feeling".

The sound effect works. In my case I thought the sounds were perfect so far. It is slightly different (obviously since they're new sounds...) but it felt very accurate to the shining force series. It may seems innocent but when it's done wrong, it can be pretty annoying. For example, the latest starcraft heart of the swarn opening trailer is so amazing, but I got so pissed when I heard the Wilhelm scream in it, it just totally pulled me off.

Gameplay ; well it's shining force. We "fan boys" can be very picky. If anything is slightly off, or different, it falls in the category "stupid game that pretends to be a shining force fan game". With legacies of Veridocia, it's flawless. I mean it's shining force and it's great and most importantly, it's fun!

There were a couple things that weren't working but I'm pretty much (99.99%) certain that you guys know and simply will implement these function later one and that at the moment, you guys simply just layered the foundations for those functions (i.e dropping item -> battle sprite change, giving item, etc). I may have a slight suggestion. Though feel free to discard this cause I am OCD with details. On my first play through, I didn't notice at all that the unavailable actions were "grayed out". At first I thought it was somewhat just coded to be blocked like when I tried to do magic when a character with no magic abilities and I was like "oh okay then". It is later on that I realized that the icon was slightly de-saturated, indicating it was unavailable. Now after awhile I got used to it and I guess it is fine however, In my humble opinion, I would suggest to make it slightly more "blatant". As a first play through, when playing game, any game in general, available and unavailable stuff is always something that should be deduced in a blink of an eye. It's like if you were playing some game, you open your inventory and some items are not for your class, when you go to the vendor, I'd sell every item I can't use without "pausing". It's a bit hard to explain and I may sound excessive but anyway I just thought id mention lol. Btw I absolutely adore the action icons. So colorful haha. Very well detailed and nicely done. I prefer those that you've made over the gold-ish icons from the original games.

Weeellllllllllll so far so good. All I can say is keep up the good work. You guys got some solid, decent foundations. I'm sure there is plenty of work to be done, but you guys got this right and I raise my hat off to you folks. I'm also frustrated because it is my dream to create my own shining force ; I maybe have 50 pages of Ideas that I wrote down and such and seeing how you guys accomplished this!....It brings it back up haha. I being on the lookout for any engine-map making w/e thing that comes around, but having no programming knowledge is difficult at this time. Knowing that, I find it even more impressive that you guys pulled this off.

Btw sorry for bad english, I'm so rusty, heh
Pinkheart

Postby Hirsute » Sat Aug 02 2014 10:12pm

Pinkheart wrote:For example, the latest starcraft heart of the swarn opening trailer is so amazing, but I got so pissed when I heard the Wilhelm scream in it, it just totally pulled me off.

I feel the same way. I hate that scream.

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby T300 » Thu Aug 07 2014 2:11pm

This is fantastic. amazing, thank you!

ONE CRITICISM :

The sound it makes when a Heal is cast on a Force member? Ughhh!
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Thu Aug 07 2014 4:36pm

The sound effects were never gonna be super quality. I had to make them all myself using sfxr an bfxr.

I could look into changing it furthet down the line if by chance I should stumble onto a more fitting sound effect.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby T300 » Thu Aug 07 2014 9:19pm

Just an observation :) What you've done, and everyone else on the team, is amazing.
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby FinFish77 » Sat Aug 09 2014 12:33am

One quick question. Are the shadows staying? I don't have a problem with them, just curious. They're the one thing I noticed that look different from other SF's.
FinFish77

Postby MXC » Sat Aug 09 2014 12:54am

Unless they become broken for some reason, the shadows will stay. Glad you noticed :)
Last edited by MXC on Sun Aug 17 2014 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Sun Aug 17 2014 7:34pm

I liked playing this. I'm not so sure about the monster style of enemies, but that's up to taste I suppose. If there's something I'd suggest would be to put the name of the character.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tmetal5788 » Sun Aug 17 2014 10:38pm

Had a lot of fun playing this. Am I dumb and couldn't figure out how to proceed or is it just the one battle? Wanted more immediately. Good job to everyone working on this!!
Tmetal5788

Postby Stordarth » Sun Aug 17 2014 10:45pm

Tmetal5788 wrote:Had a lot of fun playing this. Am I dumb and couldn't figure out how to proceed or is it just the one battle? Wanted more immediately. Good job to everyone working on this!!

It's just a demo of the first battle for now. The game is still very early stages, despite 6 years of work.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Kioki » Wed Sep 03 2014 12:13pm

Let us know when there gonna be more of this game ;)
For the remake of shining force 2!
For the remake of shining force 2!
Kioki

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project