Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Sc1 Final Chapter Summary

BIG TIME SPOILERS!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Sc1 Final Chapter Summary

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Nov 21 2013 1:22pm

After researching Athrades comment about the final chapter ending, I have a question to ask.

I believe the final chapter ending in question happens right before the credits. Here are Athrades' comments:

-You may just not have done this yet, but I wanted to point out just in case it's been missed that the final "chapter summary" after the ending hasn't been changed from Sega of America's version where Domaric leaves Aspia - these two bits of text should instead say something to the effect of "Ohnoes, Domaric is making Medion fight Synbios in an epic cliffhanger, what happens next? DUN DUN DUN!"... you know what I mean!

In this particular area there are 5 lines that appear to be chapter ending lines yet only 3 appear to be used.
My question: Is there any decision or event flag causes a different chapter summary to play?

The 3 known used lines have been reviewed against the Japanese Sc1 and are accurate as they are currently. That is not to say the Japanese is perfect, but it would indicate that this was the intention with Sc2 on the horizon. We can certainly discuss improving these lines once we figure out which ones are used and when.
Last edited by legalize freedom on Thu May 15 2014 6:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Sc1 Final Chapter Summary

Postby Athrades » Thu Jan 16 2014 12:07pm

Hi LF! Sorry I didn't get back to you when you asked about this. I tend to disappear from here for long periods!

Yes, the "chapter summary" at the end of Sc1 appears to summarise Sega of America's altered ending rather than the genuine Japanese ending which leads correctly into the scenario 2 storyline. It describes Domaric leaving Aspia, but in the real storyline he doesn't do this until scenario 3 after many more events have transpired, so this shouldn't be mentioned in senario 1 - rather, it should end on a cliffhanger, as in, are Medion and Synbios going to fight one another or not?

It's interesting that there are extra lines in there. I'm not aware that there is any event which would change the lines used at the end, but perhaps both endings exist in the Japanese version for some reason? It may be that Camelot had an alternative ending prepared which "closed" the storyline before Sega of America's translation, and some of it just isn't meant to be used?

Just some thoughts about it. Sorry they are late ones - hope they are still helpful in some way. :)
Athrades

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Jan 16 2014 1:39pm

Good to see you again. Maybe you could PM your email so I can take advantage of your comments in between visits to SFC.

The funny thing is, I took a screen shot of the chapter ending in question using strictly the japanese disc. One of our trusted previous translators reviewed the lines against what we have and they are accurate. So It appears the lines are wrong in the japanese game as well.

Maybe there is some kind of switch that uses the other lines, but I can't get them reviewed if I can't get them to appear on screen. The translator program's kanji database does not work with the Japanese Sc1, so there is no way to see what is in those lines unless someone else finds themselves on the other side of that switch and can provide the lines on screen.

Since everyone who plays all the way through with the patch will likely encounter these same lines. We need to figure out what they should say and edit them.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Thu May 15 2014 5:34pm

*le bump*
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Thu May 15 2014 6:56pm

I think I have this figured out. There are 5 lines. 3 before the credits and 2 at the very end right before Gabriel and Fey say goodbye. I'll share what I'm proposing below.

Now for the lead up. Things happen pretty fast there at the end, but I'm pretty happy with how it worked out. These are the things I've worked into the normal dialog:

After Arrawnt is defeated, Palsis mentions that although they have taken care of Arrawnt, they still have Emperor Domaric and the Bulzome Sect to deal with. Then Yasha appears and in his dialog, tells the Synbios army that their victory will be short lived because Domaric leads a powerful invasion army this way as we speak.

Then comes the first three lines of summary which have incorporated the fact that Domaric is not far away with an army heading towards Aspia. Then the credits.

Only after the Domaric army breaks through the wall and the heros meet on the bridge is it revealed that the previously known Domaric-led invasion army is actually the Medion army. The scene ends with them facing off and Domaric laughing. Then the final two summary lines which were the lines that were originally in question.

Here are the lines I propose:

~8-179~ Game End:
The Synbios army's victory was short lived as Emperor Domaric himself invaded Aspia Castle.
Synbios was shocked to find Prince Medion leading the invasion.

~8-180~ Game End:
Despite the friendship Lord Synbios and Prince Medion had cultivated, they now face each other as enemies.
With Emperor Domaric pulling the strings, battle seems inevitable...

So first I want to know what everyone thinks of these lines or if anyone has suggestions for improvement.

Secondly, I have a question about the Titan's rampage on Aspia city that I hope someone will help me with. Where in the timeline does the Titan go on his rampage?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Thu May 15 2014 8:55pm

I think it was when Prince Arrawnt invaded, with Basanda controlling the Titan using the staff.
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Fri May 16 2014 1:07am

legalize freedom wrote:~8-179~ Game End:
The Synbios army's victory was short lived as Emperor Domaric himself invaded Aspia Castle.
Synbios was shocked to find Prince Medion leading the invasion.

~8-180~ Game End:
Despite the friendship Lord Synbios and Prince Medion had cultivated, they now face each other as enemies.
With Emperor Domaric pulling the strings, battle seems inevitable...

Well written, I like it.
Last edited by Special T on Mon May 19 2014 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Fri May 16 2014 1:54am

Swalchy wrote:I think it was when Prince Arrawnt invaded, with Basanda controlling the Titan using the staff.

So you think it was before the catacomb battle? Here are some lines at the beginning of that battle:

~8-58~ Basanda:
If you had allied with us, Aspia would not have to be destroyed.

~8-59~ Dantares:
Aspia destroyed? As long as we're alive, that's not going to happen!

~8-60~ Basanda:
I'll make sure to rectify that... But, since the Titan is active again, it's only a matter of time before Aspia is reduced to ashes and Bulzome is revived.

~8-61~ Palsis:
What... What did you say...? The Titan...? The giant warrior... unearthed in Aspia... The guardian of the Vandal Kingdom?

~8-62~ Basanda:
Ah! So you have heard of the Titan Warrior... It has received power from the darkness, and has awakened. With the destruction and chaos the Titan will create, Bulzome will be revived to rule the land once again.

~8-63~ Synbios:
. . . . . . .

~8-64~ Basanda:
The dark power emitted from my staff, the Negate Cane, allows me to control the Titan without Bulzome's aid. There is no way to stop the Titan!

Sounds like to me he has just become active. Maybe he's going on his rampage just as this battle is happening... then we need to clarify these lines. It might very well be that she is bragging here at the beginning of this battle about how much destruction the Titan is doing to the city right now. It would only be a few words difference to put it in present tense. I would think it would have to be close to the same time since we walk right by the city in the over world just before this battle and see nothing. That would make sense.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Fri May 16 2014 1:25pm

legalize freedom wrote:
Swalchy wrote:I think it was when Prince Arrawnt invaded, with Basanda controlling the Titan using the staff.

So you think it was before the catacomb battle? Here are some lines at the beginning of that battle:

~8-58~ Basanda:
If you had allied with us, Aspia would not have to be destroyed.

~8-59~ Dantares:
Aspia destroyed? As long as we're alive, that's not going to happen!

~8-60~ Basanda:
I'll make sure to rectify that... But, since the Titan is active again, it's only a matter of time before Aspia is reduced to ashes and Bulzome is revived.

~8-61~ Palsis:
What... What did you say...? The Titan...? The giant warrior... unearthed in Aspia... The guardian of the Vandal Kingdom?

~8-62~ Basanda:
Ah! So you have heard of the Titan Warrior... It has received power from the darkness, and has awakened. With the destruction and chaos the Titan will create, Bulzome will be revived to rule the land once again.

~8-63~ Synbios:
. . . . . . .

~8-64~ Basanda:
The dark power emitted from my staff, the Negate Cane, allows me to control the Titan without Bulzome's aid. There is no way to stop the Titan!

Sounds like to me he has just become active. Maybe he's going on his rampage just as this battle is happening... then we need to clarify these lines. It might very well be that she is bragging here at the beginning of this battle about how much destruction the Titan is doing to the city right now. It would only be a few words difference to put it in present tense. I would think it would have to be close to the same time since we walk right by the city in the over world just before this battle and see nothing. That would make sense.

Yeah, I always understood it to mean that the Titan was currently laying waste to Aspia as they were battling Basanda until the end when she lost her staff, and then the Titan was just waiting at the bridge.

I suggest changing "before Aspia is reduced to ashes" to "before Aspia has been reduced to ashes"; "Titan will create" to "Titan is creating", and that should do it methinks :)
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Athrades » Fri May 16 2014 5:10pm

LF, I think your alterations to the final chapter summary are perfect. :) They will make the transition to the second game much easier to understand. It's really interesting that the Japanese game had the lines about Domaric leaving in it as well, and that there are hidden lines we can't access. I wonder if they changed their mind about the ending near the end of the game's development. I suppose we'll never know...

I agree with Walchy about the Titan. I had also understood or assumed that the Catacombs battle was an urgent battle to get the cane from Basanda to stop the Titan in its actions of destroying the city. Since there's no distinction between the present and future tense in Japanese, there's a very good chance that those lines are slightly mistranslated and she is supposed to be bragging that the Titan is doing so at that moment. And if that's not the case, there would be a hole in the storyline, as that's the only time it could fit. It also makes sense that the reason Basanda is in the catacombs, where the Titan was buried, in the first place is that she was assisting its awakening.

Thank you as always for your great work - it's fantastic that you are putting so much effort into making sure the storyline is seamless. And I'm always happy for you to summon me if you think I can be of help! :)
Athrades

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri May 16 2014 7:03pm

Isn't the city half destroyed when you reach the part after those events in scenario 3? The Titan going on a rampage would explain a lot of that.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Fri May 16 2014 11:27pm

I think we have a consensus that the Titan is in the act during the catacombs battle so I'll move forward with that, but is it me or does the game imply the rampage happens during the apparent lapse of time during the credits. It might be the subtle wording in the surrounding lines. I'll look at it...

And Athrades, we only checked the first 3 lines against the Japanese, so those would mostly be the same. I didn't realize at the time the other two were after the credits. Sounds like everyone is happy with what I've come up with (and I'm happy with it) so I'll go with it.

Does everyone prefer "battle seems inevitable..." or "battle appears inevitable..."?

Edit:
I've adjusted a few lines to clarify that the Titan rampages during the catacomb battle including in the advice lines for this battle. If you would like to see the finished product, you can grab the updated files here:
http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/Sc1EndingFiles.zip
I've also posted a complete set of save files if you need them. See the official site.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Wed May 21 2014 4:32am

legalize freedom wrote:Does everyone prefer "battle seems inevitable..." or "battle appears inevitable..."?

I think either would work. I don't really have a preference so I would go with what the majority decide.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby alex_man » Wed May 21 2014 7:34pm

battle seems inevitable sounds good :)
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project