Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Premium Disc Error Report Topic

Same principles as the others :)

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Premium Disc Error Report Topic

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Feb 27 2016 7:25pm

That probably explains it, but will it give you different ones if you use a Sc3 save vs creating one in the PD?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Feb 27 2016 11:07pm

Not likely, like I said, it would be a waste to save all of the avatars in the Saturn backup memory, and pointless.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Feb 28 2016 12:45am

Right, but it would contain the class (promotion level) and that may control which avatar is used.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Feb 28 2016 3:38am

I am not sure if we are on the same page anymore

the promotion level is saved in the save file yes

but the actual image is not.

both images cannot be stored onto the disc, it is either one or the other

the avatar he is looking for is not known to be on the Premium disc, and in the almost 20 years (Ugh) that this game has been out, it would be impressive to see that he had some early draft of the PD that nobody knows about with these GFX
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Feb 28 2016 10:46am

The PD borrows most everything from Sc3 so I would assume both (or all 3) images are available on the PD disc. I certainly can't say for sure, but that's what I'm suggesting. Just drawing at straws to try to explain what's going on.

I come to this conclusion. If the PD is being played (whether it has been patched or not) and the Sc3 avatar appears, the image is obviously available from the PD disc. It could be specific to a certain PD disc version, but it isn't the work of the patch. Multiple avatar images are available on every scenario disc so why not the PD?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Bulzome » Sun Feb 28 2016 11:04am

Sorry for the late reply. I've been sick. Either way, I think I may have found the cause. I called up a friend of mine with the original disc. I sent him all the versions of the patch I have - and sure enough they all use the premium disc avatars. Therefore, that means the problem would have to lie with my backup image. I must have done something wrong when creating it.
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
Bulzome

~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Feb 28 2016 3:34pm

The PD does not borrow everything, the PD actually fixes things (I am curious if it fixed the Garosh bug)

The way the avatars have been are laid out is like this:

Unpromoted
Promotion 1
Promotion 2 / Alternate Promotion2

Now Promotion 2 plays by Time Cop rules, both images can't occupy the same space at the same time or else chaos would happen.

When the game needs to display an avatar it grabs it from a special file (You should be able to see the avatar file like you would the loading screen IIRC)
This file will only contain the promoted 2 version, or the alternate promoted 2. Not both.

Also, since the only way you can see a Promoted 2 character is by loading in a scenario 3 save, it would be impossible for people to see the newly designed image based on your theory, everybody would see the old one.

legalize freedom wrote:The PD borrows most everything from Sc3 so I would assume both (or all 3) images are available on the PD disc. I certainly can't say for sure, but that's what I'm suggesting. Just drawing at straws to try to explain what's going on.

I come to this conclusion. If the PD is being played (whether it has been patched or not) and the Sc3 avatar appears, the image is obviously available from the PD disc. It could be specific to a certain PD disc version, but it isn't the work of the patch. Multiple avatar images are available on every scenario disc so why not the PD?
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Feb 28 2016 8:08pm

knight0fdragon wrote:The PD does not borrow everything, the PD actually fixes things (I am curious if it fixed the Garosh bug)

The way the avatars have been are laid out is like this:

Unpromoted
Promotion 1
Promotion 2 / Alternate Promotion2

Now Promotion 2 plays by Time Cop rules, both images can't occupy the same space at the same time or else chaos would happen.

When the game needs to display an avatar it grabs it from a special file (You should be able to see the avatar file like you would the loading screen IIRC)
This file will only contain the promoted 2 version, or the alternate promoted 2. Not both.

Also, since the only way you can see a Promoted 2 character is by loading in a scenario 3 save, it would be impossible for people to see the newly designed image based on your theory, everybody would see the old one.

Gotcha. So no matter what, the PD will only ever have one promo 2 image available.

It doesn't sound like Bulzome's issue is reproducible either, so I guess we can assume whatever happened was a glitch or human error.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Synthesis » Fri Feb 03 2017 2:16pm

I've just played v18 and noticed the video section has no text labels for either Ending 1 or 2.

EDIT: Played more of the Premium Disc and noticed the three headed dragon in battle 6 are called "thief" and "villager".
Synthesis

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Feb 06 2017 1:14pm

Thank you for the report.

I know the ending videos aren't available until and unless there is a completed save present. It would be odd if the vid would still play though. Is that the case?

Will get the enemy names fixed up!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to SFIII Translation Project