Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

JAP voices in english Scenario 1

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

JAP voices in english Scenario 1

Postby 31416 » Fri Mar 22 2013 9:59am

Yes, I know, there are other posts talking about it, but I think I found the solution, although I have no time to check it.

The JAP version has a lot of SAP files with the voices, but the english version has all packed in a file, VOICE.DAT, that has 134 files inside. To generate a valid VOICE.DAT you can add all SAP voices with a simple COPY (already explained in other posts).

But the new file do not works. Why? Because each file stored in VOICE.DAT needs a pointer indicating where starts.

The pointer table is located in X018.DAT, offsets 001B80-001C8B (I checked only the euro version). Each entry is a 2 bytes big-endian value with the LBA (multiply the value by the sector size, 0x800):
Code: Select all
001B80: 00 00 -> 0x0000 * 0x800 = 0x000000 in VOICE.DAT
001B82: 00 0F -> 0x000F * 0x800 = 0x007800 in VOICE.DAT
001B84: 00 18 -> 0x0018 * 0x800 = 0x00C000 in VOICE.DAT
001B86: 00 27 -> 0x0027 * 0x800 = 0x013800 in VOICE.DAT
001C88: 08 F4 -> 0x08F4 * 0x800 = 0x47A000 in VOICE.DAT
001C8A: 09 0F -> 0x090F * 0x800 = 0x487800 in VOICE.DAT

Easy :)

Now there is no excuse to have the game with the original Japanese voices !!!

ADDED:
A tiny tool to show the LBA values: http://www.mediafire.com/?scm1csa2kpf8en0
Just extract the files with VOICE.DAT and run VOICE.EXE

Re: JAP voices in english Scenario 1

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Mar 22 2013 12:24pm

What has also been discussed, which is of a greater interest to me personally is the ability to substitute the voices in english. Mainly in Sc2 and 3, but also some from Sc1.

This of course would entail professionally recording voice actors. The ultimate goal is to have good english voices throughout for all scenarios.

I've never included this in the scope of the translation project because we have never had a roadmap to achieve this. If the tools can be created to replace the voices (and adjust the pointers) then it will have to become part of the discussion.

Thanks for your work on this!
Last edited by legalize freedom on Sat Mar 23 2013 4:33am, edited 1 time in total.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Sat Mar 23 2013 4:24am

If this is incorporated into this project, you might want to reach out to Burnt Lasagna who did a pretty successful dub of YS IV which is available over at Romhacking.net, since he's already familiar with the territory it might not be a bad idea to inquired about assistance or where to get the voice talent.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1752/
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Mar 24 2013 12:25am

Wait I remember dealing with this issue and was able to get voices working on english scenario one
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sir_Dantares » Mon Mar 25 2013 2:53am

Then you got to put the Japanese voices in Scenario 1 PAL/US?
Sir_Dantares

Postby arromdee » Sat Mar 30 2013 8:17pm

I would prefer just having English voices in scenario 1, since I'd be playing it as I remember it except with translation fixes. Scenarios 2-3 should have Japanese voices. When you go from 1 to 2 and 3 it will change because you're going from something that has an American release to one that doesn't. There's no need to make the whole thing uniform.
arromdee

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Mar 31 2013 12:12pm

We are trying to create a uniform release here. That is the entire point of the translation process. If we get the jap voices working in scenario one. Then we can go to other languages
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun Mar 31 2013 8:56pm

Besides, there once was a mention of a separate, optional patch for the voices if anyone was up to the challenge of creating samples for the later scenarii. A similar patch to restore the japanese voices is fine.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby arromdee » Sun Aug 11 2013 5:09pm

As long as the patch is optional, that's fine.

I just want to play it how I played it many years ago, except with translations, so 1 should be in English and 2-3 in Japanese (yes, I actually bought 2-3 many years ago and stumbled through them in Japanese.)
arromdee

Postby Sinful Force » Sun Aug 11 2013 6:59pm

legalize freedom wrote:What has also been discussed, which is of a greater interest to me personally is the ability to substitute the voices in english. Mainly in Sc2 and 3, but also some from Sc1.

This of course would entail professionally recording voice actors. The ultimate goal is to have good english voices throughout for all scenarios.

I've never included this in the scope of the translation project because we have never had a roadmap to achieve this. If the tools can be created to replace the voices (and adjust the pointers) then it will have to become part of the discussion.

Thanks for your work on this!

There was this project to I recall on the Y's forum where one of the guys was adding voice acting to some of the FMV that where in Japanese for some game. And this guy additioned voice actor on this voice acting forum. So yeah, I imagine he had much luck finding professional actors. Just a suggestion.

As for playing Scenario 1 with Japanese voices acting. Heck no. Something I've been very vocal about here. So it if happens, I agree on having the option to turn it off.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Redd » Fri Dec 13 2013 9:53pm

I fully support adding the Japanese voices back to Scenario 1 for consistency. Frankly, I would even take that over replacing the other Scenarios' voices. Dubbing them sounds like a pipe dream to me, and I would rather have the original voices over some poor dub (in terms of voice acting).

arromdee wrote:I would prefer just having English voices in scenario 1, since I'd be playing it as I remember it except with translation fixes. Scenarios 2-3 should have Japanese voices. When you go from 1 to 2 and 3 it will change because you're going from something that has an American release to one that doesn't. There's no need to make the whole thing uniform.

...So releasing only Scenario 1 with English voices just for your nostalgia's sake?

They aren't aiming at nostalgia, they're going for consistency and accuracy. If it was about nostalgia, there would be no point of re-translating Scenario 1 when you can just play the official English translation, which should be the one you have the most nostalgia for.

Sinful Force wrote:As for playing Scenario 1 with Japanese voices acting. Heck no.

Why not? I hate dubs :angry:
Redd

Postby CeasarArcana » Mon Jan 27 2014 6:59am

Sorry if I'm posting a reply to an old topic here, but I believe I heard/read mention of the community doing a fresh dub to use across all four discs? If that's still a thing, I'd love to help.
I know I could do most of the guys, like Dantares, Synbios, Hayward...perhaps I could even do Noon justice. If I applied myself, I bet I could manage Masqurin or Grace as well... I'm a Barritone, but my falsetto goes up to Mezzo-Soprano, so I'd have to see through trail and error if I can go that high consistently. Anyway, just throwing it out there.
CeasarArcana

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Jan 27 2014 9:29pm

I had not seen this thread until you resurrected it. I don't understand the people that wanted to take sc1 to Japanese. If this sits is going through the process of translating the script to English than the sound should be English too. I would love to see this! As afar as professional actors go I wouldn't worry too much as the voices in the English version of Sc1 didn't seem professional :)
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby CeasarArcana » Sat Feb 01 2014 4:26am

Indeed. I recall reading somewhere that they [likely] just had the localization team do the dub because low-budget-translation-of-a-game-that-SEGA-thought-was-unpopular-outside-Japan.
Anyway, if somebody can rip and upload all the voice clips from each game (Japanese and English), I can see about getting to work.
Why would I need the Japanese clips? So I can (re)translate them, of course! I may not know enough to help with the real translation, but I know enough to work with this stuff. Plus, it'll help me with matching the original pitches and deliveries.
CeasarArcana

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Feb 01 2014 4:00pm

This is out of my scope of work and knowledge, but I'll be glad to provide the original voice files. I won't be able to help you with the "how".

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/Other%20Language%20Projects/VoiceFiles.zip
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby CeasarArcana » Sun Feb 02 2014 1:14am

legalize freedom wrote:This is out of my scope of work and knowledge, but I'll be glad to provide the original voice files. I won't be able to help you with the "how".

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/Other%20Language%20Projects/VoiceFiles.zip

Oh...I uhh...appreciate the link but...what am I supposed to do with these? Does anybody know how to get the actual clips out of these?

EDIT:
I went off of what I knew for Synbios and Dantares...this is the result. I did both English and Japanese, just cuz I could.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn6usmrq0542w ... nDanVA.zip

Listening to it again, it's not...that great... But it is an improvement over the original. At least for Synbios. My inner Brit slipped out on Dantares too... British Dantares...now there's something.
CeasarArcana

Return to SFIII Translation Project