Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

V14 Test Patch Feedback

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

V14 Test Patch Feedback

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Dec 11 2012 2:51am

Please see the official site for the announcement of the posting of the V14 test patch.

Please leave any feedback here.

Thanks in advance!

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: V14 Test Patch Feedback

Postby Kalkano » Thu Dec 13 2012 5:51am

I just started using this version at the end of Scenario 2, right before the battle with Desherren (while the tank is underground). So far, so good. No typos.

I may have mentioned this before, but friendships are broken when playing on an actual Saturn. I don't know how the translation could have broken them, but somehow, it seems to have done just that. No one can get to the maximum relationship (heart).

Thanks again, for all the hard work.
Currently playing for the first time: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Dec 14 2012 1:14pm

Are you saying noone reaches soulmate when using the patch on a real saturn? Technically, there should be no difference in that kind of thing whether emu or hardware. Also, I don't see how the patch could cause this. It shouldn't have any effect on whether you get one or not. If anything it would crash when you did, but not keep you from getting there. It also sounds like you are speaking in general, thus it is not just this latest posted version.

Could this be a function of your difficulty level? I've glanced at topic before about how difficulty levels affect friendship levels. However, I don't recall what the conclusion was.

At any rate, I believe getting soulmate is random. After you achieve a certain point total, you have X% chance of getting it everytime another freindship qualifying action is taken, making soulmate generally more difficult to attain. Maybe you are just not very lucky?

Is this happening to anyone else?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Fri Dec 14 2012 7:25pm

legalize freedom wrote:Are you saying noone reaches soulmate when using the patch on a real saturn? Technically, there should be no difference in that kind of thing whether emu or hardware. Also, I don't see how the patch could cause this. It shouldn't have any effect on whether you get one or not. If anything it would crash when you did, but not keep you from getting there. It also sounds like you are speaking in general, thus it is not just this latest posted version.

Could this be a function of your difficulty level? I've glanced at topic before about how difficulty levels affect friendship levels. However, I don't recall what the conclusion was.

At any rate, I believe getting soulmate is random. After you achieve a certain point total, you have X% chance of getting it everytime another freindship qualifying action is taken, making soulmate generally more difficult to attain. Maybe you are just not very lucky?

Is this happening to anyone else?

It has happened with every patch I've used. This is my 2nd full playthrough. I play on the default difficulty. I'm with you, on not understanding how the patch could do it. If someone can explain that I'm just doing it wrong, I'm all ears. Lol.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Swalchy » Fri Dec 14 2012 7:34pm

I've never had trouble getting soulmates when using the patch.

If my vids were still up on youtube, I'd post one showing the Soulmates I had.

There was a thread on here when we discovered how getting soulmates worked. You had to have 45 friendship points altogether, and it was a chance that you'd soulmate at 45 points. if you didn't soulmate at 45 points, your friendship points would revert to 35 friendship points (Trusted), and you'd have to start all over again.

I'll try and find that thread...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Tue Dec 18 2012 6:06am

Swalchy wrote:I've never had trouble getting soulmates when using the patch.

If my vids were still up on youtube, I'd post one showing the Soulmates I had.

There was a thread on here when we discovered how getting soulmates worked. You had to have 45 friendship points altogether, and it was a chance that you'd soulmate at 45 points. if you didn't soulmate at 45 points, your friendship points would revert to 35 friendship points (Trusted), and you'd have to start all over again.

I'll try and find that thread...

I downloaded your playthroughs a long time ago. I just went, and looked at your final Scenario 2 battle. Sure enough, you've got soulmates. Did you play on an actual Saturn? I know he said it shouldn't matter. I just want to be sure.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Swalchy » Tue Dec 18 2012 7:51pm

I did indeed play on an actual Sega Saturn :)
The Way To Yahuweh

The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kalkano » Tue Dec 18 2012 8:50pm

Swalchy wrote:I did indeed play on an actual Sega Saturn :)

I think Sega's earned the S*ny treatment, around here, and should be auto-censored. :thumbsup:

On topic: my theory has been debunked. I just suck. ;)

I'd still be interested in that soulmates thread, if you can track it down.

Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Rune » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:11pm

There are more than a few threads about friendships, here's one of them: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15595&hilit=friendship
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Tue Dec 18 2012 10:18pm

The following is the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20436

The one Rune posted is the most in-depth one we have :)
The Way To Yahuweh

The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Dec 19 2012 1:19pm

I'm really digging this patch feedback thread.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Piedroidor » Sat Dec 22 2012 11:50pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, so first : THANK YOU SO MUCH ! for the huge translation work !

It has been nearly 15 years that I wanted to play the following scenario 2 and 3 ! :)

I bought a PAL version of Shining Force 3 scenario 1 when it was released in my country (France ;) ). I think it was in 1998.

I had the very good idea of keeping my save of "scenario 1 : complete" all years long. Really, I excepted the day I could be able to play the next episode while understanding the dialogs and you made it possible. :excited:
I was also lucky because the internal memory of my old modded-saturn is "volatile", as the save you made won't stay as soon as you put the Saturn off... But I made a copy of the save on my 4-in-1 cartridge.

In this thread, I want to say that I agree with this theory : somehow, friendship status have a problem.
I play the entire scenario 2 on v.12 (playtime : ~50h) and I never was able to reach "soulmates bound". More, it seemed lots of others bound (friendship, partner, trusted) coudn't stop to reset.
It was really different in my scenario 1 game where I got many heart relationships at the end of the game.

It's not a big deal but it's a shame... :/

Now I play scenario 3 on v.14 (@ first church save on the ship for the moment) and it's to soon to tell if it's going to be the same.
Piedroidor

Postby rascyc » Sun Dec 23 2012 2:58am

Scenario 3, end of chapter 1 hang is still present in the latest V14 patch.
rascyc

Postby rascyc » Sun Dec 23 2012 5:23am

Is this really what Donhort says in the Japanese version? I can't really understand why he would say Prince Mageron here given the context on how chapter 2 starts.
rascyc

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Dec 24 2012 11:06pm

I can't reproduce the hang at the beginning of Sc3 Ch2. Works fine for me using SSF_012_beta_R2 using the standard compatibility settings.

None of Sc3 has been reviewed by a translator, so I can't answer that question. It also hasn't been reviewed for story consistency either so it's a bit premature to give this level of feedback for Sc3.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby rascyc » Mon Dec 24 2012 11:28pm

Okie dokie, I was using SSF_009_alpha_R4 using the documented setup for what that's worth.

I haven't seen any of this alleged buggy relationships either. I finished Scenario 2 with two soulmates and I honestly never care about building friendships in the first case, so those just happened naturally. I had one in Scenario 1 using the previous patch.

End of Scenario 2 played out fine for me. I've spotted a few run-on screens in Scenario 3 but I'll just save that stuff for a later date.
rascyc

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Dec 24 2012 11:55pm

Feel free to report lines that run off the screen.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Prince of Lums » Tue Dec 25 2012 1:30am

I saw in the discussion on captured creatures that someone had an issue with an unamed wyvern causing graphical issues. I had quite an old version of the patch which was causing the entire screen to go black once the wyverns turn came up so re patched to v14. Just a small graphical issue now, more in line with what was being described with what I believe was v12.

(This is using my actual Saturn rather than an emulator)

Graphical issues with wyvern:

Normal graphics on a turn:

Ultimately nothing game breaking just some graphical issues, seems to fix only occur on the wyverns turn and then disappear after its turn has ended.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this was Scenario 2.
Prince of Lums

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rascyc » Tue Dec 25 2012 2:41am

legalize freedom wrote:Feel free to report lines that run off the screen.

Posted some screenshots behind the spoiler.

WARNING: SPOILER!
rascyc

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Dec 25 2012 4:58am

Will look into the Sc2 issue. What battle is this? Is the Wyvern one of Pappets' pets?

Can you give me the locations of these Sc3 screens (chapter, town, etc) so I can hunt them down?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to SFIII Translation Project