Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Jap voices in English scenario 1

Help required

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Jap voices in English scenario 1

Postby nagev2100 » Sat Apr 10 2010 12:09pm

Profound @ Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 am) wrote: I don't understand why the VOICE.DAT made out of the Japanese voices is so small (582ko), compared to the one in US/PAL scenario 1 with English voices (4 792ko).
It is probably the reason why it isn't working.

Maybe you forgot to type /b in the command-line?

It should be:

copy /B *.SAS VOICE.DAT
15. Dieses Produkt ist mit einem unlösbar verbundenen Netzstecker ausgestattet. Falls der Stecker nicht in Ihre Netzsteckdose paßt, sollte er abgeschnitten und ZERSTÖRT und durch einen passenden neuen Stecker ersetzt werden.
15. Dieses Produkt ist mit einem unlösbar verbundenen Netzstecker ausgestattet. Falls der Stecker nicht in Ihre Netzsteckdose paßt, sollte er abgeschnitten und ZERSTÖRT und durch einen passenden neuen Stecker ersetzt werden.
nagev2100

Tofu - Superstar
Shining Member

Postby Profound » Sat Apr 10 2010 1:07pm

Thanks nagev2100. I created my VOICE.DAT following your instructions. Unfortunately, I got the same results as you : the voices don't load.
Profound

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Apr 10 2010 11:43pm

just use the voices from premium disc then, i dont know what differences it has, but the premium disc to scen 1 should
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Profound » Sun Apr 11 2010 9:49am

I also tried to upload the VOICE.DAT from the PD into patched sc1 but it didn't work.
Profound

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nagev2100 » Sun Apr 11 2010 2:27pm

knight0fdragon @ Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 pm) wrote:just use the voices from premium disc then, i dont know what differences it has, but the premium disc to scen 1 should

Unfortunately the split PD files cause the same freezes for me as well.

I tried it in various ways, including the byte swap program. My research concerned Synbios? voice files either taken from the voice translations topic, my PD or my scenario 2 disc.

The best result I got was the first file playing with everything else freezing. I had to use the byte swap therefore.

It?s unpleasant, but it looks to me as if even more research would be needed for other than the original provided files to be played.
nagev2100

Tofu - Superstar
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Apr 12 2010 8:19pm

is the voice.dat from PD larger then that of Scenario 1, you may have to remove the excess voices, also I belive the japanese version has more voices for each player then the US, so you may have to removethe ones that arent used

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sinful Force » Mon Apr 12 2010 10:41pm

Bulzome @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 pm) wrote: Actually, I'm working on that. I'll probably let LF, KOD, or someone know when I'm done. I want to be sure everything goes through the proper channels.

I'm actually looking forward to this. I don't know why people have such a problem with Scenario 1 voices. Personally Spiriel to me does not have that same awesome/cool feel to her without her english voice. I don't care about the others (Scenario 2 & 3 characters), only Scenario 1 characters because that's how I was introduced to them, and that's the only way I'll except them.

But regarless, I hope you huys come to a solution still. There is a large request for this.
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
From what I remember about reading Moogie's forum guideline awhile ago, it says that by adding the letters j/k together at the end of a sentence or post, it prevents people from getting upset... So remember South Parkateers, in case of a volcano, stop, drop, tuck and roll. ... Oh wait, er, you know what I mean. ;)
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Novangel X » Mon Apr 12 2010 10:59pm

Bulzome @ Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:55 am) wrote:Actually, I'm working on that. I'll probably let LF, KOD, or someone know when I'm done. I want to be sure everything goes through the proper channels.

That would be great! I don't have US/PAL Sce.1. Only the JPN ver. so to have a full patch for the JPN disc as well would be helpful. (I had a US sce.1 for a bit but it no longer works)
Now Loading...
Now Loading...
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby nagev2100 » Tue Apr 13 2010 9:43am

knight0fdragon @ Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm) wrote:is the voice.dat from PD larger then that of Scenario 1, you may have to remove the excess voices, also I belive the japanese version has more voices for each player then the US, so you may have to removethe ones that arent used

Sadly, that is not the problem in hand.

As you can read out of my previous posts, the problem is that as soon as you swap files or just combine a couple of JP voices together to an voice.dat file it will always lead to freezes. This presumably means also you are not able to add your own voices.

The position and length of each voice seems to be determined and must not be changed. I can?t even add some silence to an English voice without making every voice which position is afterwards freeze in game.

This led me to some wave-editing.
The piece of good news: If I mix (better: overwrite) an English voice between its actual beginning and end with a Japanese voice it works fine and plays well. (The length must not be changed!) I have produced a file with Synbios and Dantares having JP voices. (Except the line ?Is this the end...?? It is just too short to make the whole JP voice fit in)

I am pretty sure that the space from the tick sound to the actual start of the voice and from the end of the voice till the next tick sound is not recognized and will not be played in game. So you can?t add longer voices than the ones that exist. This leads to the bad news: The length of JP and EN voices differs, so the best result one could get with this method is a voice file with a mix of JP and EN voices.

I guess it could be worth it, but it would also mean far more work than typing some command-lines and sorting out the correct voice file order.

So before someone starts using this rather crude method, I would like to hear what you all think about it? And especially from KOD, as you have the most insight, and my present findings are contrary to our assumption that one could just put the files together. I hope you can distract my doubts.
nagev2100

Tofu - Superstar
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Apr 13 2010 8:51pm

I do not know what is being done wrong here, I know that I was able to get my own voice into the game. File size was not predetermined IIRC, perhaps there is a delimiter missing from the end of the file that we need to add, I am going to have to dig up my old stuff and play around I guess

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby duncantak » Sun Nov 20 2011 5:20pm

I did a research on this issue in this weekend. Though I still unable to patch the Japanese voice to US version successfully, I would like to share the findings.
Let me write the finding first

1. In the VOICE.DAT, every voice is started with a header (16 bytes) and followed by 0x00 with count 3952.
2. The header is in the format of 00 00 63 E9 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08 40 0D AC 44
of which 63 E9 (big endian) is the length of the actual voice.
3. When extract a voice from VOICE.DAT, the file size must be greater than the voice length mentioned in point 2), the file seems need to be 16 bytes aligned, it uses 0x00 to pad the remaining file.
4. They DO NOT use delimiter to determine the voice clip location from VOICE.DAT
5. The actual length in point 2 just controlled when to stop the voice.
6. They seems to use PREDEFINED OFFSET to locate each voice starting point.
7. US version contains 134 voice clips while JAP version contains 140 voice clips. The extra voice comes from "Grace" (2 voices)and "Julian" (4 voices)
8. If JAP version trim down to use 134 voice clips, the file size is smaller than that of US version. But individual JAP voice clips size can be greater than that of US one.

Detailed testing procedure:
Case 1:
Hypothesis: They use delimiter to break down voice clips from file.
Steps: Open voice.dat in hex editor to see if any replicated byte pattern
Result:
00 00 63 E9 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08 40 0D AC 44
Except 63 E9, the other parts found 134 times
Findings:
1. 01 00 00 00 08 40 0D AC 44 is a delimiter
2. 63 E9 is just like a "random number" in the voice.dat

Case 2:
Hypothesis: They use delimiter to break down voice clips from file. If all voices clips has a well formed delimiter, voice should be played successfully.
Steps:
1. Check all header is well formed (V00S07.SAP and V07S07.SAP is not well formed)
2. Make all voice file header well formed
3. Concate 134 voice clips from JAP version to VOICE.DAT and put it to US version ISO file.

Result: Halt when voice plays.
Findings: The delimiter has a "random number" in the header that MAYBE an identifier of the voice

Case 3:
Hypothesis: They use delimiter with the "random number" in header that should be the voice identifier. If all voices clips has a well formed delimiter, voice should be played successfully.
Steps: Concate 134 voice clips from JAP version but use US voice clips headers.
Result: Halt when voice plays.
Findings:
1. The "random number" is NOT the voice identifier. There is some special meaning on the "random number" in header.
2. Header MAY NOT be a 16 bytes long. Maybe some information is hidden the the voice clips

Case 4:
Hypothesis: They use delimiter
Steps: In original VOICE.DAT (US version), make the last 2 bytes in the header in a voice to anothter value
Result: Voice still plays successfully
Findings:
1. The header is not the delimiter

Case 5:
Hypothesis: The voice file size is fixed
Steps: In original VOICE.DAT (US version), add extra 16 bytes of 0 at the end of a voice
Result: The voice still plays, but the voice after that does not play and halt.
Findings:
1. voice file size is not fixed
2. They use offset or other calculation to get the voice clip starting point

Case 6:
Hypothesis: The "random number" is voice identifier
Steps: In original VOICE.dat, change the "random number" to 0xff, 0xff
Result: Voice clip plays and it also play the next voice file afterward.
Findings:
The "random number" related to a voice clip stop point. It is not voice identifier.

Case 7:
Hypothesis: The "random number" is voice clip length
Steps:
1. Check the "random number" and extracted file size
2. Change a voice header length to the length of 2 voice clips
3. Trigger to play the voice
4. Trigger to play another voice that is located after the voice in VOICE.DAT
Result:
The voice clip plays and the next voice clip plays afterward in step 2
The voice plays successfully in step 3

Findings:
The file size must be > the "random number" in the header.
The file size is divisible by 16
The "random number" is voice clip length

Case 8:
Hypothesis: They calculate each voice clips offset by the "size" in each header one by one
Steps:
1. Replace a JAP voice to a corresponding location in VOICE.DAT in US version
2. Trigger the voice
3. Trigger another voice that is located before the changes in VOICE.DAT
4. Trigger another voice that is located after the changes in VOICE.DAT
Result:
The JAP voice plays in Step 2
The US voice plays in Step 3
System HALT in Step 4
Finding:
They use offset to get the starting point of voice clips

Question:
I would like to continue the research in the next weekend. But I would like to have more information on Saturn file format.
It seems that they used offset to get all voice clips starting points. Thus, the offset should be stored somewhere in the CD.
Since US version modified something from JAP version, so, those offset data MUST be in the files that is altered. In other words, offset data should be in files of which they have different checksum between US and JAP version.

I can find those files by writing a small program. There is 348 files that is modified. I did a binary pattern matching for offset data in these 348 files but there is NO obvious result found.

I guess the offset storage is somehow similar to that of text, but I also don't found any readable text from the English patched binary files. And I find that in the translation project introduction mentioned that the Saturn file is somehow compressed. Thus, I would like to ask what kind of compression they use? What tool do you use to compress/decompress the files? How do you patched the English text to the game ? Decompress file and change it and then compress it again?

duncantak

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Nov 21 2011 12:47am

"Thus, I would like to ask what kind of compression they use? What tool do you use to compress/decompress the files? How do you patched the English text to the game ? Decompress file and change it and then compress it again?"

BoneIdol is the one to answer these questions in detail. I can tell you we use SF3Translator (the custom editor program available on the FTP) which I believe uncompresses the game file when it is opened. It also has a command to compress to get it back into game file form.

Beyond that I couldn't say.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kurama » Mon Nov 04 2013 7:41pm

Legalize Freedom you said on my last and really old post that you guys was thinking in work a JAP Scenario 1 translation since is impossible do get JAP Voices and put on ENG game, how that plan goes now?

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19195

Here my last post without no answers for 2 years.
Kurama

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Nov 09 2013 8:47pm

To be a part of this translation project, any new voice effort would involve replacing the Japanese voices with new English voices, not putting Japanese voices in where there are currently English.

And in order for any voice work to be done, someone else will have to do the majority of the leg work. That includes figuring out how to do it.

Replacing voices has never been in the scope of this project, but I am willing to include the effort if it were to be done and provided for inclusion in the patch.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to SFIII Translation Project