Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 3 translations?

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Shining Force 3 translations?

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Nov 25 2005 7:55pm

right, I need the unicode inserted for every kanji character, this way I can use it for all of the other files, for the copy and paste feature. If you say u can do it fast, then I will build a custom app that shows all the kanji used in the game, all you got to do is fill them into the database

heres the tool for the database
http://www.geocities.com/dragondolez/Ka ... Editor.zip

the database file is kanjiDB.db, so when its all grey just email me that file to dragondolez000@hotmail.com.

With this, you can use the left click to check to see if the right character is inserted, right click to do the actual insertion

to actually save it, just hit OK, but it will save then close. I didnt put a lot of thought into this, just a quick dirty program to get the job done
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby the ark666 » Sat Nov 26 2005 3:00pm

Is this all kanji characters of sf3?

There is too much characters I think
A japanese can't read more than 3000, 3500 kanji!

I filled the first page but It didn't save at all(;_;)
the ark666

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Nov 26 2005 5:25pm

yes that is all of them, whether or not they are all used, i dunno, it depends on what file

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby gigaettin » Sat Nov 26 2005 5:42pm

Meep. Can Nobody tell me? Don't mean to be a nuisance.. but you got me really excited about this prospect...

I Love shining Force, hah i remember when i was a kid and had to get up at 6am to get ready fro school but i always set my alarm for 3am and got up playing shining force for 3hours and went back to bed pretending i hadn't been up. ha finding out i could save in battles was a lifesaver..

Hi first of all let me congratulate you on all of your efforts so far.

I just saw this post yesterday and it seems you have been working on this for other a year. But when i saw it i could not believe it. This would be fantastic.

I actually do own a saturn and the games being translated but they are at home (im at university) i have the isos for the games and downloaded the patch and followed the instructions.. Does this game not work on saturn emulators? its gets to the 'Now Loading...' bit but then blacks out and doesnt return.

I got so excitied by this and was really disappointed when it didnt work.
i know the patch isnt finished yet but i wanted to see how far you've got.

So i guess the question I'd like answering is does this work on saturn emulators?

Yeah so does this work in an emulator? if so how?
My saturn is at home.. I don't really want to chip it, i think i'd break it.

anyway cheers in advance
gigaettin

Postby Shining Hopeful » Thu Dec 01 2005 5:01pm

Okay, I'm not up on the technicalia of translation and all that.

But I do know I've never seen Saturn Emulator that was any good. Come to that there's not even a really good Playstation one, in terms of stand alone, needs no plug-ins, easy to set up, doesn't need superfast computer, etc, etc.

Even if this patch thing gets done, how many people have got copies of Shining Force 3? And how many have got Saturns? I mean I bought and played Scenario 1 at the time it came out, but my Saturn is long gone.

And I have no desire to pay "you what want how much?" prices to get the other two scenarios, an ancient Saturn, make ISO whatsits then patch them then (maybe) be able to play them.

I appreciate the people who do the translating will be going through a much tougher process and I'm not being ungrateful. I'm just saying I'm Joe Average and I'm not going through all the aforementioned when I can just fire up Shining Force I and II whenever I feel like it within SNES9X on my ancient old Windows 98 PC.

I'm not a Luddite, I'm just poor.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Bower captain of death !!! » Thu Dec 01 2005 6:07pm

saturn's are ten a penny these days, just buy the games, being poor isnt an excuse lol, anyways its not like the games are mega expensive, but hey this isnt even the place to be talking about this kind of twaddle is it? :eyebrow:
WE PRESENT YOU FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!!
WE PRESENT YOU FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!!

Postby Darksol » Thu Dec 01 2005 6:18pm

Saturn emulation is at a point now where a lot of games can run pretty close to full speed. I haven't goofed around with any of it since the girigiri hack, and even way back then... the only slowdown I remembered was during spellcasting. Most of the rest of the graphics looked fine.

And downloading the ISO/mp3 or BIN/CUE is insanely easy. I can only imagine how much easier it would be to find after the translation is finished and interest in the game is resparked in the fans faithful to the series.

(BTW, I own 2 saturns and all japanese scenarios of the game plus two copies of the US scenario 1... so I don't feel guilty at all talking about emulation)
VoxPVoxD @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:40 pm wrote: hey, let's go do some racism
Darksol

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Thu Dec 01 2005 8:15pm

1) I never knew SNES9X played genesis roms
2) SF 1 and 2 can not be compared to SF3
3) The-plug in system works great, for those with weak computers, use one thing. for those with strong computers, use another. Also, when a plug-in has an update, you dont need to update the entire emulator.
4) There are plenty of work in progress emulators out there, Some people havent given up, and even though one of the writers of one of the emulators and I arent on best terms, I am pretty sure when this is done, more people are going to want to try to use them, plus more motivation.
5) Saying things like that is what makes me lack motivation on this project, thankfully some kind souls have decided to help me, but they too have lives and probably after a while feel it to is pointless if no1 really appreciates it. Perhaps when school is out for the semester for these kids we will get the ball rolling. Hopefully ark666 can get me an even better update on the Kanji database, since I am working on a function in the translator that will allow direct access to google translation and it will give us general translations to help us

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Darksol » Thu Dec 01 2005 9:12pm

Hey, I know you've probably mentioned this earlier but I can't seem to find the post...

What emulator are you running this on?

Also, the new translator link doesn't seem to be working for me...
Darksol

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Dec 02 2005 3:47am

http://www.free-webster.com/users/knigh ... Force%203/

Cassini, it should work on saturn, unless theres a problem, I still need to look into it

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ritualofthetrout » Fri Dec 02 2005 9:03pm

Shining Hopeful @ Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:01 pm) wrote: Okay, I'm not up on the technicalia of translation and all that.

But I do know I've never seen Saturn Emulator that was any good. Come to that there's not even a really good Playstation one, in terms of stand alone, needs no plug-ins, easy to set up, doesn't need superfast computer, etc, etc.

Even if this patch thing gets done, how many people have got copies of Shining Force 3? And how many have got Saturns? I mean I bought and played Scenario 1 at the time it came out, but my Saturn is long gone.

And I have no desire to pay "you what want how much?" prices to get the other two scenarios, an ancient Saturn, make ISO whatsits then patch them then (maybe) be able to play them.

I appreciate the people who do the translating will be going through a much tougher process and I'm not being ungrateful. I'm just saying I'm Joe Average and I'm not going through all the aforementioned when I can just fire up Shining Force I and II whenever I feel like it within SNES9X on my ancient old Windows 98 PC.

I'm not a Luddite, I'm just poor.

I dont understand what your post has to do with anything thats going on here, if you have no desire to play the translated games when they are finished and are happy with SF1 and SF2 then why are you posting in a thread about SF3 translations?

Alot of people will play the games when they are finished, and im sure alot of people will buy saturns and modchips just to play it on the original console. SSF has come along way as saturn emulators are concerned, and it might be a bit tough to set up at first but its probably the best Saturn emulator there is right now.

Hehe and yes that is a good question, since when did a SNES emulator run Genesis games?
Can anyone point me in the direction of Arc Valley or the Tavern?
Can anyone point me in the direction of Arc Valley or the Tavern?

Postby Darksol » Sat Dec 03 2005 5:21am

knight0fdragon @ Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 pm) wrote: http://www.free-webster.com/users/knigh ... Force%203/

Cassini, it should work on saturn, unless theres a problem, I still need to look into it

Link's working now. Don't know what the problem was earlier.

I'll try and get cassini working again sometime tomorrow.

Question for ya in regards to keeping the files in a folder close to the root of the drive.

If windows is on my C drive but I've got an external hard drive on F, does it make a difference which drive I put it into? I'd rather use F as there's a lot of free room, but if it has to be on the same drive as windows operates on, I'll free up some room.
Darksol

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Dec 03 2005 5:26am

f is fine, the problem is, mkisofs is a dos program, so you need to respect the way it handles files. so F:\sf3 is alright, but f:\shining force 3 is not

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Darksol » Sat Dec 03 2005 5:50am

Sounds grand.

I'd get started on it all tonight. But I promised myself I'd finish up a pet project of mine with Shining Force:Rotdd first.

Right now I'm busy finding the right hex values to freeze to keep everybody's exp at 99 all the time. (and since it's not calculated until after the battle, you go ahead and level up with every move).

I doubt that makes you much more impressed by my abilities... but hell, it's a start.

Anyway, I should be knee deep in this stuff by mid afternoon tomorrow.
Darksol

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby gigaettin » Mon Dec 05 2005 6:12am

ah cassini was the emulator i was trying to get it to work on but it just blacks out.. i'll try patching it again and see. I personally can't wait for this to be finished, I've also decided to try and chip my saturn next time im home, and to the guy that said who still has to games or saturn now. Well i do.. they are at home all put away in their boxes.. Shining Force 3 still there along with Shining in the holy ark and my other games.

Can't wait to play these in english.. and I'd like to thank everyone involved in the translation for what they've done already.
gigaettin

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Dec 05 2005 10:47am

New version of translator will hopefully be released tuesday.

New feature!!!!!
Finished with the online translating thanks to google and my friend Jon, who is a PHP wizard. Just a click of a button and google will pop in a translated version of the text into the box.

with updates to the database, this feature should become a very usefull tool

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby jedilost1 » Tue Dec 06 2005 5:39pm

can't wait for the update thanks! :eyebrow:
jedilost1

Postby Dr. Doom » Tue Dec 06 2005 7:35pm

Knight dont think about those people who complain about money or cant get things to work because you know theres alot of fans here just on this site alone that are willing to spend the money to be able to play a translated shining force 3 and you know as well after its done it will spread like wildfire and there will be thousands more that will appreciate the translation. i for 1 have cassini, giri giri, and a modded saturn all working, and all scenarios.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Dec 06 2005 9:05pm

oh yea i know i know, i was just stateing that things like that are what can kill projects like the one i am doing

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Shining Hopeful » Wed Dec 07 2005 4:47pm

Well that stirred things up without meaning to.

And yes, Shining Force is of course played on GENS not SNES9X, its just there were so many good RPGs on the SNES I got carried away.

I get that a lot of people will be willing to shell out and all the rest of it, and good for them, I just said I would not, just me.

I wouldn't mind playing the missing scenarios, as I've played the one they did bother to release properly, I don't exclusively play Force I and II.

And as for my opinion "stopping" your project, for goodness sake, how?

Can't really believe everyone got so upset.

If your that into it then good for you, but God they're just games, relax.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project