Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 3 translations?

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Shining Force 3 translations?

Postby PaulMurphyUK » Sun Sep 04 2005 6:24pm

All the info might be here, but i wanted to help with the project, and what's here doesn't give me sufficient knowledge to do so.
PaulMurphyUK

Postby Kazgaroth » Sun Sep 04 2005 8:18pm

First, do you know anything about hacking? Second, anything about Japanese?

Contact KOD if you really want to help, and will stay around.
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Rayin wrote:Weren't you supposed to die in the war or something?
Kazgaroth

The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shining Legend

Postby aho » Sun Sep 04 2005 9:03pm

All the info might be here, but i wanted to help with the project, and what's here doesn't give me sufficient knowledge to do so.

If you read the readme included with the SF3 files you would know what to do.

You stole my avatar.

Things that can be done:

1. Translate parts of the script that aren't quite right.
2. Obtain save files from all points of the game, basically any point of the game where dialogue/text is different.
3. Run the developer's patches and determine where what people say is in what file.
4. Translate using the Translator program.
5. Send .sf3 files to KOD for compression.
6. Go back and edit your files, repeat until its right.

-----------------------------------------------

To do the step 3 you need the following things:

Cassini Sega Saturn Emulator
Knight0fDragon's Developers Patches
Shining Force III Scenario 2 Iso/CD
KOD's iso patcher
Daemon Tools

------------------------------------------------
You can find what follows if you READ the README
And here is what you do once you have those:

1. Place all the files from the SF III-2 ISO/CD into a folder in the Root Directory of your harddrive, except for the CDAA2 file(it won't copy). In that directory create a empty file called CDAA2
2. Place the Patcher directory into the root of your HD.
3. Take whatever patch you'd like to run, and place it in the SF3-2 folder. When you name the SF3-2 folder don't use spaces.
4. Run the patcher.
5. Place the SF3track2.bin into your root direcotry, wherever the patched .iso was created.
6. Mount the .cue into a Virtual Drive using Daemon tools.
7. Run Cassini, run the patched CD.
8. Play through the game and notice where normal text, i.e. Japanese text, is replaced with numbers, the number indicates what file in the set the line comes from, and what line in the file it is. For example:

FilenumberLinenumber

If you patched file Sara23.bin, that means that particular line can be found in the script file Sara238.jap, and it is line 225. To view and edit that line you need to use the Translator program. The maximum amount of text that fits on one line of text is 39 characters, and if the string of text is too long, the game won't be able to read it properly.

Each .bin file included in the Developer's patch only corresponds to a certain area of the game. Either part of a town, or inside the houses in a town, a certain battle, certain shops, etc. Determining which patches go where is part of the process. It seems like the names of the files also corresonds to what part of the game it comes from for example: Sara_W.bin corresponds to the West(Imperial Distrcit) of Saraband, and the batlXX.bins correspond to battles.

Existing translations can be found on SFC, but some of them could use some touching up, IMO. If you can read and translate Japanese that would be quite helpful. To my knowledge there are only a few people helping with the process. Saying you want to help is one thing, but actually doing something is quite different. All the information you need can be found in this thread, including what files people are working on currently. Just post any progress you are making or questions you have in this thread.
aho

Postby PaulMurphyUK » Sun Sep 04 2005 10:58pm

Lol, you mean i'm meant to be able to just pick the thing up and understand it from the read-me, u havin a larf? I did actaully read the read-me, no need to capitalize the 'read', i know what the file is for, but thanks for trying to make me look like a fool.

What i'm going to look at doing, is a web page that goes into some detail about the project, it's relevant parts, maybe a timescale and an introduction to newbie's to the project (like myself), there's no better way to do a site like that. I wouldn't mind a bit of help, and im sure it'd be a worth while task. It could have an FAQ section, to stop the same questions being asked, a few screen shots maybe of areas that are complete with text, and anything else that anyone wants to suggest.

Providing everyone thinks this is a worthwhile project i'll get onto doing it tomorrow, i should be able to host it on my own webspace, providing the overal size doesn't become to great, but it'll be a place to check on every once in a while.

Once i've got that going, i'm confident i'll be able to start having a bash at this translation. While i can't translate Japanese, i've got a couple of english qualifications under my belt, so i'm sure i can help, with structuring sentences, and making everything sound correct.

Anyways, till tomorrow

Peace Out
PaulMurphyUK

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Sep 04 2005 11:38pm

I dunno aho had no problem what so ever with my stuff, and I really didn't explain much to do, u read the japanese box , put translation in the english box, save ,and send file to me to send back a compression
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Mon Sep 05 2005 10:42am

Might I comment that if someone doesn't understand the technical documentation/readme for helping with the translation, they probably aren't cut out for the task?

At first glance, I didn't understand the instructions z80 gave me for recompiling the FC ROM (note that the process was not as simple as it is now in the release version!), but I read, re-read and tried it out until I got it right.

If I had the time, I'd be helping out with this as it all seems to make sense and I'm sure by trying it I'd get the knack... but right now I have other projects that require my attention.

Anyway, keep up the great work KoD - if you ever want news posted on the main site, just let me know!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Sep 05 2005 3:57pm

When we get chapter 1 finished you can post news, aho and I are making some real production here, Ive got the first 2 battles done, the intro done, and the opening scene done, hes got areas in saraband done and is checkin out balsamo now

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Snipes » Mon Sep 05 2005 6:39pm

Just asking but did you ever decide if you wanted voice acting for the characters in Scenario 2 and 3? I like the japaneese acting just find but being a Shining Force game would still be pretty awesome.
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Sartre

Missing Amigo
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Sartre

Missing Amigo
Snipes

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Sep 05 2005 9:01pm

voice editing is easy, go to segaxtreme.net and get a program called PCMtoWAV, then open up voice.dat and it should convert it to wav, use goldwave or any other editing software, and place in the voices wanted

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sushi_Musashi » Tue Sep 06 2005 12:26am

I would really like to help with the translation but I don't know how to work with the translator :(
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No original Musashi picture....
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No original Musashi picture....
Sushi_Musashi

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 06 2005 12:31am

what is difficult about it, each line displayed in the jap is one line displayed in the game, so you edit each line in the english. I broke the files up so that it would be easier to translate

Is anyone familiar with kanji and unicode? unfortunately there is too many kanji characters for me to search so that i can throw the ones in sf3 in the sf3 translator.

So I am hoping, if I posted the kanji used in the game, if someone could actually give me the unicode numbers, or even a unicode text file of them

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby the ark666 » Tue Sep 06 2005 1:38am

I'm familiar with kanji but not with unicode.
So how can I help you?
the ark666

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 06 2005 1:40am

I need some way to get the SF3 kanji into a data format, be that a text file, unicode numbers, anything. If I can get it in a font format, I can work with it, I can tell you that brute force is not an option, with there being 5000-6000 kanji characters in unicode, and only a lil bit over 500 for sf3

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby the ark666 » Tue Sep 06 2005 2:18am

how can I get kanji into unicode numbers?
I can read kanji but I don't understand what unicode is.
the ark666

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 06 2005 2:27am

unicode is just how the characters are stored, I do not need a translation, what i need is a quick way to go from a BMP to 東 <- that is a unicode output, it has a number

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby the ark666 » Tue Sep 06 2005 2:41am

I understood what you want.
For example: 56FD is 国 in unicode.
the ark666

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 06 2005 3:16am

well yes but all i have are BMP font from the game

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby REDFlELD » Tue Sep 06 2005 2:05pm

knight0fdragon, how many kanjis do you want translated to english/unicode form?
I know a bunch of ppl working on jap anime translation, I'm not sure if they're willing to help but if it isn't too much characters to translate, maybe they'll help. Anyway send me the bmp/jpg pictures of the kanjis & i'll see what I can do.
victorking@gmail.com
REDFlELD

Postby Moogie » Tue Sep 06 2005 2:33pm

I don't know if it might help or not, but Jim Breen's wwwjdic is a fantasic resource, and I know you can get the codes there... it's just a case of having someone who can regonise the kanji rather than having to try to look it up from radicals etc:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby PaulMurphyUK » Wed Sep 07 2005 12:56am

Righty, as promised a few days ago, i have developed a website devoted to the translation project.

You can find it at The Shining Force III Translation excuse the web address, it was for a previous university project.

Anyways, hopefully you'll find anything and eveything you need to know there, it's not quite finished and i'll be adding bits and pieces as time goes on.

But I would appreciate any feedback, and suggestions for any corrections to the information i have printed.

I would just like to mention that KOD will not be involved with the website, so please don't direct any questions to him, as it will cause problems. Anything you need to ask can be sent to me, either through here at SFC or through the website (I'm morphorino), and i'll do the relevant 'leg work'.

Hopefully, everyone here will find it usefull, but the idea is just a trial, if it ends up being a waste of time, then thats the way it goes, but it's something i wanted to try, so happy viewing.
PaulMurphyUK

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project