Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scenario 2 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Significant Dialogue Mistake - Scenario-2 Patch

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Apr 06 2011 1:01pm

legalize freedom wrote:You are correct in that they are talking about Gracia.

Names are unique in that they are saved in the save game file when the game is first started. From scenario to scenario there were originally names in different slots. For example in Sc1 Julian may use the same slot as Gracia uses in Sc2. The patch normallizes these, so for any scenario any name is in the same slot and has the same reference in the game files (at least that is the ultimate intent).

Wait... so you use Julian's Scenario 1 slot to store Gracia's name in Scenario 2? While there is no problem with this in transfering a save from Scenario 2 to Scenario 3, transfering from Scenario 1 to Scenario 2 is going to have the character slot set to "Julian" (or whatever they named him). There should be 20 unused character slots (which DON'T get stored in the save file) in Scenario 2 that you can use for common names.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Apr 06 2011 6:45pm

That's what the original does (maybe not that particluar example, I do remember that Waltz's slot is Zero's from Sc1 and Zero is re-located for Sc2, etc). The patch keeps the same slot for each name all the way through.

Most of those slots are used in Sc3 however. I'll get with you BoneIdol when I'm gearing up to do that task to see which ones are stored in the save game data.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Apr 06 2011 7:16pm

Slots 1-21 are used in Scenario 1, Slots 1-40 in Scenario 2 and Slots 1-60 in Scenario 3/Premium Disc. There's at least 60 slots in all the games, but those are the only ones where the games will load the name from the save file.

Each extra name means an extra character slot in the save file. Each character slot is 176 bytes long (nearly 3 blocks), so the games keep as few names in the save as possible.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Doomblade66 » Wed Apr 06 2011 9:31pm

Thanks for the explanation, Legalize. I'm always fascinated at the intricacies of the game-code - in the way you explain it. Like, I would never have imagined that "the game uses X-slots" to represent a given "Y-character" in each scenario....such that carry-over of saved games can potentially result in a particular name being stuffed in by default to each dialogue segment where the particular character is mentioned.

I only found it strange that - earlier in the Stump Village exploration - when you first meet Goriate....he mentions Gracia just fine - as do a few others in Stump (David, mainly, after you first meet him and fight the battle inside the tree against the Wolf Baron).... so it just struck me as confusing/odd that after mentioning Gracia without issue 3 or 4 times earlier in town.....suddenly Fiale is saying "tell us where JULIAN went..." out of nowhere at the start of the Treetop Battle.

Regardless, I only mentioned it in an attempt to be constructive and hope you don't think me nitpicking (after mentally telling myself they were talking about Gracia - it wasn't hard to follow the dialogue) - and actually, Jumesyn tells me I should be meeting up with Julian "For Real" - in the very next battle anyways ;)
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Apr 06 2011 11:11pm

BoneIdol,
That's a welcome thing to have those available to use. Unfortunately, they are not available where they are really needed in Sc3... but I'll see what's worth doing in the others. I guess that means anything after those numbers would not be editable...

Doomblade,
That's probably because the "link" to the stored name isn't used in the game files in those areas. Those that show Gracia, likely have Gracia spelled out in the file vs getting a name from a slot. The reason I want to enable as many "linked" names as possible is to allow space to be saved in the individual lines (you might have heard we have line and file size issues and the link code is 2 characters long). Also to allow avid players to use BoneIdol's save file editor to name other characters. Although if anything after the current force aren't stored in the save file, that would seem to be impossible.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Doomblade66 » Mon Apr 11 2011 11:25am

* Legalize n' Co * - just wanted to mention another possible bug / glitch regarding dialogue with the most recent patch. One issue is minor - the other is still minor, but slightly less so.

Issue-1: One of the two Imperial Soldiers inside Barrand, in the interior hallway when you first enter General Rogan's HQ building (the one with Donhort in the basement) - speaks to you...and ...for the life of me I've stupidly forgotten what exactly the word was that I noticed, but I think he has one extra "M" letter in it...like...it might be "Commands"...only he has it written in his text box as "commmands" - with three m's....something like that. I am sorry I didn't write it down right away - and am remembering it shortly after the scene at this time. Still..just take a look at the current dialogue boxes you guys have for those troopers inside the 1st Floor of Rogan's HQ in Barrand...and one of the two that are flanking the door once you have entered the hallway, is the one that has this very minor spelling issue.

Issue-2: I discovered that the Dialogue / commentary that normally pops up on-screen after beating a Chapter ...did not appear when I defeated the Dark Kraken and entered Elbesem. It looked like it flickered up on screen for a half-second (maybe)....but then immediately went to the screen showing the "Chapter 3 End" scroll, and it asked me if I'd like to save my game.

This is, again, not a huge issue - since I just read what it was supposed to say from the Jumesyn excellent site. Still, I figured I'd mention it to you guys, just as an fyi. Again...hardly a major issue...but, thought you might like to know !
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Apr 11 2011 12:27pm

Almost none of the chapter endings are inserted in V12. I hope to have them in for V13.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Scenario 2 Error Report Topic

Postby Nephrite » Mon May 16 2011 12:26am

During the later parts of dialouge (slightly before Battle 11 and after battle 12) all references to "Gracia" are instead referenced as "Julian." I see some other people were having this issue and others weren't, I'm using SSF 0.12 for whatever that's worth with an imported save from Scenario 1. If I can give any more information let me know.

One of Dessheren's text boxes after Galm shows up (the one where she decides to leave, I think it is) isn't properly sized.
Nephrite

Postby Kokoro » Mon Sep 26 2011 10:41am

LoL, funny that everyone is posting about bugs in all chapters but one :D

V12 patch bugs i found:
Chapter 1:
Library dialogue box in republic section of saraband is messed up

Also you will find two health bread there in Saraband but one of them will be called Large Mithril if you attempt to use it. That made me smile.

Also found the Anafect dialogue boxes fast quitting and some others too large for the screen but not in chapter one of the game so, guess that's all for now ;)

Thanks a lot for your amazing work!
Kokoro

Postby Swalchy » Mon Sep 26 2011 11:02am

Kokoro wrote:LoL, funny that everyone is posting about bugs in all chapters but one :D

People do appear to be unable to read and do as they're told :(
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Sep 26 2011 12:21pm

Kokoro wrote:V12 patch bugs i found:
Chapter 1:
Library dialogue box in republic section of saraband is messed up

Also you will find two health bread there in Saraband but one of them will be called Large Mithril if you attempt to use it. That made me smile.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by library dialog box. Are you talking about the bookcase in HQ?

You may have something going on with your iso. Try making another. The game places items in memory to be used in messages and things like this, so I don't think I could fix this if I wanted to.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Mon Sep 26 2011 1:38pm

Maybe a "Please Include Screenshot" line should be put somewhere...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kokoro » Thu Sep 29 2011 1:23am

legalize freedom wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by library dialog box. Are you talking about the bookcase in HQ?

You may have something going on with your iso. Try making another. The game places items in memory to be used in messages and things like this, so I don't think I could fix this if I wanted to.

Sorry for the somewhat "late" reply!

Yes i mean a specific bookcase, i though calling it library would have been a good idea :(

Swalchy wrote:Maybe a "Please Include Screenshot" line should be put somewhere...

Ok, i just need to shift my savestate files and some time and i will satisfy your request! :)
Kokoro

Postby Zorg33 » Thu Sep 29 2011 11:38am

Hi there,

I have a big problem in the last battle of Scenario 2, when you have to attack Garion's tank.
In this battle, you control two forces, one outside and one inside the tank.
The battle starts with Medion outside the tank.
Then after Medion's army turn, the game switches you to the other army inside the tank.
Now this is when things go wrong, and it prevents you from finishing the Scenario....
Halfway through this army's turn, the screen becomes all bollocksed, ad then freezes after a few minutes.
if you press A or C enough times, the game switches you back to Medion's army outside the tank, but the bug remains, and once you've moved 2 characters, the game freezes.
I tried several times and it's the same thing every time, happening at the same moment.
Here's a screenshot:
By zorg33 at 2011-09-29

Has anyone had this before?

Raph
Zorg33

Postby Kokoro » Sun Oct 02 2011 5:16pm

This is the bookcase bug i posted about some time ago:

Here you can see which house contain the bug affected library(the one in the right which Medion is directed to):

Anyway this is the chapter 5 shown above, i gotta do a countercheck to see if in chap 1 there are different houses affected. I remember two of them, i met only one in chapter five.

Hope to be useful.
Kokoro

Postby Hope » Sat Mar 24 2012 6:18pm

Crashed for me during the long conversation on chapter 1 Castle right after Spiriel and the other generals leave the room. The game just completely froze up. :damnit:
Hope

Postby Swalchy » Sat Mar 24 2012 9:23pm

On a Sega Saturn Console itself, or on SSF?

If SSF, try sticking it in highest compatibility mode: Option - Option - EZ Setting - High Compatibility
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hope » Sun Mar 25 2012 10:23am

Swalchy wrote:On a Sega Saturn Console itself, or on SSF?

If SSF, try sticking it in highest compatibility mode: Option - Option - EZ Setting - High Compatibility

Yup.
Windows 7
SFF Lastest update. Will try that. :thumbsup:
Hope

Postby Danteres » Sun Apr 01 2012 11:29pm

So I'm using the latest version of the patch for Scenario 2, and I decide to egress from the Elbesem Temple Entrance battle (#17). When I go back into the battle, Medion is nowhere to be found! He is not on the battlefield, and when I try to check the status, Campbell is the first one to show up. I egress with Julian, and to my surprise, Medion is at the church, but whenever I try to check the status, the screen freezes :( I tried going back to HQ to see if there's anything I can do, and as it turns out, Medion somehow ended up in my reserve force. I swap Robby out for him and return to the battle again, thinking that solves my problem, but it doesn't! Robby is in the force, and again, Medion seems to have disappeared from the battlefield.

I can provide pictures if you want. So can someone tell me what happened?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

"No matter what kind of impairment I may have, I can grasp happiness."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

"No matter what kind of impairment I may have, I can grasp happiness."
Danteres

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Apr 02 2012 2:39am

Have you done any save editing?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend