Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14 2009 1:03pm
by Swalchy
Please Read the FAQ Topic First - Translation Project FAQ

Realising that in the FAQ I had mentioned there would be a topic dedicated to errors found in the beta released sections, and that there wasn't any, I shall now be posting three topics, one each for each scenario (to keep things tidy and non-confusing).

So, in this topic, please notify us of errors/bugs/problems/etc that you find in beta released sections of Scenario 1. The only chapter released to beta at the moment is Chapter 1, so please don't post anything regarding any of the other chapters at all (those being chapters 2 - 6. DO NOT POST ANYTHING REGARDING THESE CHAPTERS).

Thank you :D

Re: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11 2010 9:58pm
by Two Headed Thing
Guess I qualify for asking here. I've read de FAQ and couldn't find an answer to my problem, and it happens since the first lines of the game (hence, a reportedly beta test chapter).

I speak from Brazil, so pardon my misspelling or anything like that. Hopefully I'll make myself clear.

I patched the most recent version available on the translation site, with an original scenerio 1 CD.

I used Daemon tools as a CD player for the ISO, since I don't have a modded Saturn, only a regular (and very old) one. The original CD works fine as far as I can see, with an emulator. Anyway, the problems found were in a part of the game where the original CD works perfectly.

The versions of the emulators and fo daemon tools were downloaded from the translation project website. I've tested SSF with the original CD and it worked fine despite my laptop not having the recommended settings (1.86GHz centrino duo processor). It gets a bit slow when there's too much on the screen, but that's all.

Cassini wouldn't work with the original CD, but worked fine (a bit worse than SSF) with the ISO, except that it had the same problem. So it can't be a problem with the emulators, daemon tools, the original CD version, and I couldn't find anyone with this problem anywhere on the apropriate threads, or in the FAQ. And, again it is on a scenario and chapter labeled as in "beta test" phase.

Without further ado, the issue:

The dialog lines or boxes don't appear. They behave as if I had a turbo joystick on and was just skipping all the dialog. Indeed, all the dialog in the story is skipped. Whenever there's an option for me to click, the game waits for my answer (yes/no, when i click on status, or item panel, etc), and the boxes and words do appear. The status window, for example, is seen thoroughly, with all the sub windows, both for dantares and symbios.

If I want to change symbios name I can, the letters appear, etc. But the wizard or he fairy dont say a word.

The first dialogues of the story go without a word. The head of the person who's supposed to be talking flashes on the screen and goes (again, as if I had skipped their dialogues) this goes on until I go out of the castle, and continues with the NPCs, etc.

Whenever I try opening a cabinet, for example, the box appears. If there's something to be gotten there, I take it, and the box and letters appear. When I investigate the bookcase the box "you're investigating the bookcase" appears, but the content of the bookcase doesn't.

So, any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to know if you can really transport one character from game 1 to the others, with their stats, weapon development, etc, and if the different patches released can clash with the files containing the characters. Otherwise, I'd only be able to play when the full tested versions appear.

That's all for now. Thanks for the initiative! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12 2010 12:11am
by legalize freedom
Sounds like you haven't updated the patch files.

Sc1 glitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01 2010 3:36pm
by Rems
Hello all

I'm just wondering if this bug that made my game crash is known, or if it could be due to a bad ROM burning or if it might have been fixed already.

I play with a patched European version with patch files that date from Nov 2008, on a US Saturn, with a Action Replay but no cheats enabled (I used it just for saves).

The glitch is a frozen screen after reading the sign of the Hero's Test at the very end of Chapter 6.

On a side note:
WARNING: SPOILER!

I take the chance to ask if I'm likely to miss any improvements using those old Nov 2008 files?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 2010 11:33am
by Profound
In chapter 1, when you exit the Republic's mansion with Benetram in the team (after the first battle), if you try to enter back, Dantares will say a line which is glitched.

PostPosted: Thu May 13 2010 3:29pm
by Ymarsakar
I'm getting the same issue as TH.

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... opic=16618

Lf, what do you mean by updating patch files?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22 2010 1:26am
by revenos
I just recently played through Scenario 1 Chapter 1 using the 2010-06-28 update files.

Issues that I came across:
1) the conversation bug that Profound mentioned is still around (see conversationBug.jpg) - this occurs during the brief time when the king is following you around the city.

2) the text shake effect seems to have been lost from a number of different conversations. Around 10-20 NPCs throughout chapter 1 should be using it but as it stands I only saw about 3-4 partially working ones and 0 fully working. (see textShake.png - this is one of the partially working ones where only the first line of text was shaking correctly)

Edit:
to view the attachment, right click the attachment link and save it as {anything}.zip
(it comes up as index.php in firefox, no idea how or why that happened...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22 2010 12:46pm
by legalize freedom
The Read Me.doc that comes with the patch explains how to update the files.

I can't download your file. Please post to an image site or email it to me.

1) I need a little more information. How is it glitched? If you are talking about the 0; 1; 2; etc. that was a test I was doing to check the number spacing. It has been removed, but the fixed files haven't yet been posted.

2) Do you mean during the explosions? Please give me the game file you've noticed this. You can find the game files in the SectionProgress-Sc1.xls on the FTP. Only the game file is needed, no description of the line. I'll look them up.
There are a few places where it is intentionally shaking a portion of the line as opposed to the entire line. I'm sure there are also places where the shaking didn't fit very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23 2010 1:29am
by revenos
(I edited my previous post)

If you are talking about the 0; 1; 2; etc. that was a test
Yes, that was the one. Not a bug then...

2) Do you mean during the explosions? Please give me the game file you've noticed this. You can find the game files in the SectionProgress-Sc1.xls on the FTP. Only the game file is needed, no description of the line. I'll look them up.
No, its not related to explosions, only the visual effect for the text of dialog. It wasn't just one particular conversation... almost all files for chapter 1? (excluding battles)

There are a few places where it is intentionally shaking a portion of the line as opposed to the entire line. I'm sure there are also places where the shaking didn't fit very well.
That may not be related, I only recall seeing whole text lines shaking - but never part of a line or the whole dialog box text.

I doubt I can remember all of them from my first play-through... but to give a quick list, these are the character that I think should have had shaking text dialogs:

Saraband
(just before the 1st battle)
1) one of the imperial guards (imperial camp)

(just after the 1st battle)
2) guy running around in a panic (central district)
3) one of the people in the church (central district church)
4) the girl who is in front of the trade center door (central district)
5) guy blocking a fence path near the chickens (republic district)

(after the second battle)
6) one of the dying guards? (central district)
7) at least 2 within the many houses (the screen-shot was from one of these)

Balsamo
8) One of the soldiers (Imperial Barracks?)

(probably not the complete list)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23 2010 12:27pm
by legalize freedom
I'll look into it.

Umm... Didn't need descriptions as stated before... only game file names...

Got descriptions and didn't get file names...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02 2010 11:25pm
by Kalkano
Here's one quick one I've found. For some reason, Zero's name is replaced everywhere with "PC24".

Edit: sorry. I wrote that down as part of chapter 1, but I don't think Zero is even mentioned in chapter 1. Apologies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03 2010 11:45am
by Sinful Force
Kalkano @ Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm) wrote:Here's one quick one I've found. For some reason, Zero's name is replaced everywhere with "PC24".

Hopefully I gave Legalize Freedom a complete listing (with game file codes) of all the PC24 mentions, as this is something that really, really bothered my about the patch for some reason. (I guess I really like to role play this game?)

But yeah, can't wait for this to get finally corrected soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17 2010 6:47pm
by Vakr
So I've rather been having the same trouble as Two Headed Thing. No dialog windows are properly displaying themselves, only an occasional brief flicker of the character portraits.

I've tried repatching the same previously patched ISO several times.

I've tried repatching the original ISO several times.

It IS the standard US-NTSC version of the game which plays in my unmodified US Saturn, although I'm not bothering to try to burn the modified ISO since it's less bother to make it work through an emulator than swapping discs. The unmodified ISO seems to function without error when run with SSF and my original disc has been well kept (I bought it new a decade ago) and not at all scratched up.

Should it come to that I need simply play it through once more with Sega's translation and then read notes on the differences that may well prove the option, preliminary results of modifying the Scenario 2+3 discs do not have the same trouble and should be playable.

Anyhow, since I'm not the only one it must be a relatively easily encountered and bothersome phenomena.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17 2010 7:54pm
by BoneIdol
Hmm, I've been seeing a lot of topics like this recently. Would you mind zipping up your patcher directory and sending it to me? I'll have a go at patching my copy of Scenario 1 (which is the UK version) with the exact patcher your using and see if I get a similar result and maybe have a look at the files its using in the translator. I can at least rule out if its an issue with the patcher/files then.

The patcher is usually located in C:\SF3 Patcher\. Make sure you remove any ISOs you've created using it so it's a reasonable size. The zip file should be about 8 MB if you removed everything.

Email leons87[AT]hotmail[DOT]com if you want to email it to me. If you want to host it on some site or other then just PM me the URL. Ta very much. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18 2010 8:11am
by Vakr
To provide a little running commentary, I have complied with BoneIdol's directions and hopefully we can gain some insight. I do not, however, see how my patch directory might have undergone unique changes on my computer, I reinstalled it afresh from the file acquired from the official SFC-hosted translation site for a few of my attempts.

In any case I am grateful for the project and the keen minds dedicating what time and energy they can to vastly improving our enjoyment of a fantastic game series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18 2010 4:51pm
by BoneIdol
Well, I'm guessing the files on the official site are a wee bit corrupt then. I tried patching with the files you're using and got the exact same result. I dunno whos actually maintaining the site, but they could do with replacing them.

When I used the very latest translation files (available here) and the bug was fixed. Anyone with this bug just needs to download the zip file at that link and plonk the various .bin and .spr files it contains into \SF3Patch\files\s1\.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18 2010 6:20pm
by legalize freedom
All the links on the official site should be pointing to the FTP. There aren't 2 places where the files are kept.

Try downloading them yourself and see if you get the same result. Something might be happening in the download.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18 2010 6:27pm
by BoneIdol
Then the exe installer is borked it seems. I just downloaded and installed it now and patched Scenario 1 using it and got the same, textless result. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19 2010 12:54pm
by legalize freedom
Does the same thing happen whether you download from the official site or directly from the FTP?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19 2010 4:29pm
by BoneIdol
Exactly the same on both (which isn't surprising since its linking to the FTP), the file did the same thing when I downloaded it off of the ftp and when I downloaded it by clicking the get patch button on the translation site.

In both instances, the exe file had the md5 hash 5cfcb52fcc5caa509d13745a1675ffab and the sha1 hash 71927afad4772492f1b0aea71a51903f751bc964. They are definitely identical both times I downloaded it. It's looking very much like the scenario 1 data that comes in the installer is screwed. :(

--EDIT--

If you wanna compare hashes, I wrote a quick little .net application to generate the md5 and sha1 hashes of two files and compare them (I was using a PHP script to get them before). http://www.mediafire.com/?1x782en825x9b5t. It's like 12kb and a dozen lines of code so I shaln't bother with sharing the source. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19 2010 5:55pm
by legalize freedom
I'll create and upload a working version.

edit: Try the s1 files I just posted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 2010 2:53pm
by BoneIdol
Sorry about the delay in reply, didn't notice you'd edited your post.

This still hasn't fixed it unfortunately. When I downloaded the file in 3 different browsers (Firefox, IE and Opera, I figured Firefox was caching it or something) the file was the same as before. I also compared the scenario 1 files that come with the installer to the latest patch files in a hex editor and they're definitely different. STTL1.SPR is also missing from the scenario 1 files that come with the installer.

Looks like the installer either hasn't been fixed, hasn't been uploaded (I've found some FTP clients, like Filezilla, fail hard at overwriting files), or something on the server is playing silly-buggers with caching the file . :(

Can you verify that the exe file you uploaded does NOT have the md5 hash 5cfcb52fcc5caa509d13745a1675ffab with the little program I linked to? If it doesn't, then we can rule out the first cause at least. If you delete the SF3Patch.exe file and then reupload it (instead of overwriting it) and it still fails, we can rule out the second cause of this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 2010 6:15pm
by legalize freedom
I didn't upload a new exe yet. Since Sc2 and 3 are working, I wanted to see if the current files were the problem first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 2010 6:32pm
by BoneIdol
Aaaahh... I'm with you now.

There's never been a problem with the current files, it's just what comes packaged in the installer. The scenario 1 files in the installer patch the game to a state where there is simply no text at all; not even in Gabrielle's room where you start a new game or load your saves. Replacing them with what's in the scenario 1 latest files fixes this.

The current files are absolutely fine; it's whats in the installer that's not working.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23 2010 11:31pm
by legalize freedom
That's probably true. When the installer was created, Sc1 likely had no text.
Always use the current files.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24 2010 12:18am
by Swalchy
We should probably make that clearer on the website, LF.

Even if it is mentioned in http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com ... tructions/ - probably need to emphasise the fact that the files in the patch program probably aren't up to date :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24 2010 1:07am
by legalize freedom
I'll make a new one. I was just curious of what went wrong. Glad the answer is nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 2010 2:03am
by FireBladed
Hi folks!
I guess I should star by thanking all of you for all your hard and GREAT work.
Secondly I would like to also apologize to Swalchy for the rather long message I sent him on youtube that must have felt like was being written by some sort of stalker:D.

So,getting to the point.I finnaly started the game for the first time in maybe 10 years.I got a grab of your tanslations and so far everyting has been running smoothly.
But not anymore.
I found a bug/fatal crash and so I am reporting it.

At the end of the battle against Fafhard,right after the very last line of dialog of Fiale,after he enters the town of Flagard: the next line of dialog (which belongs to Fafhard) doesn't show.The dialog window appears but the dialog never shows,and so the game crashes.I mean,it doesn't freeze,but since there is no dialog it is impossible to proceed.

I burnt another CD,after aplying the patch once more,but it still doesn't work...

Of course I did proceed with my original PAL SF3Scn1 disc.

Now,could this be a bug!?Or was it something else!?Because I do admit I didn't aplly the translation patch to my own disc but instead to an image I got from the net...And of course it could be that the image was wrong...But maybe you can look at it and notice if there is something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 2010 12:33pm
by legalize freedom
Apply the patch to the original disc.

Note you can also burn a copy of the original disc to use for patching.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 2010 12:47pm
by FireBladed
So you do mean that after all it is just a problem of my own image right!?
If it were the translation you would know,right?

I will do just that,but unfortunately I won't be able to test it since I already saved past that point (I know,I know...It was dumb...But I wasn't even thinking about it when I finally got through...Sorry)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 2010 6:21pm
by legalize freedom
I have no way of knowing what the issue is if you're not patching an original disc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12 2010 1:47am
by gambitjoe
Same thing happened to me, and I patched using original disc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2010 2:00am
by Kalkano
Is anyone else having problems playing the end of the game? Any time I try to play the Hero's Test, or Final Battle with the patch (made from the original U.S. disc) I get a "CD Read Error! Please check CD and pickup lens." message (I'm using the swap trick on an actual Saturn). I've tried burning a new copy with all of the latest files, but it doesn't make a difference. I played the original disc until Arrawnt was within 1 hit of dying, and saved it. But I can't even get the game to load that save file with the patched CD. It worked fine until now.

This really sucks, since the main purpose of the patch is to see the original ending. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18 2010 8:04pm
by Christine
Can I add a suggestion?

Benetram says alright a couple of times in the first chapter (which I assume is the only one still on Beta). That's not very upper class.

It's minor anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 12:46pm
by legalize freedom
Better than "OK". What would you suggest?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 1:36pm
by -_-lll
Certainly ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 2:08pm
by Christine
-_-lll @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 am) wrote:Certainly ?

Yes. Or very well. I had some classes of English that touched upon it.

I would like to report something more consistent though. The friendship is messed up:
It's not really just a part of chapter 1 though, so this was probably noted internally already.

I've noticed the non-trembling dialogue has already been mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 6:21pm
by legalize freedom
I would have to see the context. Those are good suggestions, but wouldn't work for saying someone is alright (meaning they aren't hurt), etc.

I will look into the friendship lines. Are you saying this happens everywhere in the game? If not, what section(s) specifically? Anyone else experience this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 6:25pm
by Kalkano
legalize freedom @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 am) wrote: I would have to see the context. Those are good suggestions, but wouldn't work for saying someone is alright (meaning they aren't hurt), etc.

I will look into the friendship lines. Are you saying this happens everywhere in the game? If not, what section(s) specifically? Anyone else experience this?

Hmmm...I always skip past it too fast to notice. But, even if the text is messed up, I know the friendships are still working.

Edit: I actually remember seeing flashing letters a few times, which are shown for higher level friendships. I'm playing on an actual Saturn. Could it be an SSF problem?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 7:56pm
by Vultar
I just started replaying scenerio 1 (on the battle with the first ruins), and I don't remember seeing the friendship text. I normally speed through that stuff, but I also remember being surprised that I had friendships after a while. I can't remember that happening any other time I've played the game.

I'm pretty sure that Obright and Hayward don't have friends yet, so I can watch for it today.

I'm playing of a real Saturn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 8:27pm
by Kalkano
Vultar @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:56 am) wrote: I'm pretty sure that Obright and Hayward don't have friends yet

Well, make sure they know that it's not their fault. There's nothing wrong with them. Just tell them to keep being social, and have a positive attitude, and it'll happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 9:21pm
by Vultar
completely, poor anti-social newbies ;P.

Anyway, Grace and Synbios just decided to be friends, and the 'friend' text appeared to be written in dark blue (which makes it almost invisible).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 9:57pm
by Christine
legalize freedom @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 am) wrote:I will look into the friendship lines. Are you saying this happens everywhere in the game? If not, what section(s) specifically? Anyone else experience this?

Yes, sometimes when they reach partner friendship. Otherwise it displays as the aforementioned guy said, like this:
http://i52.tinypic.com/9r7tib.jpg
I've repatched it, with the same result. I have a second copy of this scenario prowling around, but the surface is so scratched it never lets me patch it properly. However and for demonstration purposes I've patched it as well and it displays the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 2010 10:03pm
by Swalchy
Looks like we've managed to use the wrong blue colour font. Should be a lighter blue.

In the translator we have a Blue and a Light Blue option. Checking how they look in the translator, whoever has done the lines for the friendship stats has put in the wrong blue colour.

An honest mistake :)

Edit: Checking the file X5ASPI_2 on the relevant lines (Page 1 lines 132-135), the right colours have been used.

From which battle is that picture taken, Christine? We need to check the actual file for the battle it seems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20 2010 1:00am
by Christine
Swalchy @ Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:03 pm) wrote: Looks like we've managed to use the wrong blue colour font. Should be a lighter blue.

In the translator we have a Blue and a Light Blue option. Checking how they look in the translator, whoever has done the lines for the friendship stats has put in the wrong blue colour.

An honest mistake :)

Edit: Checking the file X5ASPI_2 on the relevant lines (Page 1 lines 132-135), the right colours have been used.

From which battle is that picture taken, Christine? We need to check the actual file for the battle it seems

It's every single battle until the train one, which I am currently at (the one is from North Plain Railhead). I haven't seen a correct one since I've started this playthrough. However, I did not test the Saraband Streets and the one that didn't show anything was Balsamo East Plains. Might it be a conflict issue with green? I don't recall any friendships being forged in Luggage Check, but I can try if you guys have an idea of what it could be.

However, do note that the level up shows the light blue colour (though the original should be white).
http://i53.tinypic.com/vghl6b.jpg

I forgot to mention that it isn't an emulator problem. I'm currently using a SSF 11R5 and I've tested for SSF 10R2 and SSF 09R2 all with the same results. To be sure, I used the original CD and not the patched file to test, and the light blue showed up correctly. And as seen above, the level up is light blue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20 2010 9:29am
by BoneIdol
I don't suppose it's something like a special character being missing from the text is it? You often see text stored as something like...

"\1 passed the \2 to \3" or "$1 and $2 are now $3"

...and the \# or $# are replaced with the relevant text before being outputted (so you'd get something like "Synbios passed the Life Ring to Dantares" or "Synbios and Dantares are now Trusted"). If those special characters are absent, it would explain how it doesn't show the text properly.

I've also noticed that a lot of the common text like item names, battle notifications etc. seem to be stored in every single text file in the Shining Force 3 games. I'm guessing the text for these is correct in some of these files and not in the others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20 2010 10:01am
by Swalchy
BoneIdol @ Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 am) wrote: I've also noticed that a lot of the common text like item names, battle notifications etc. seem to be stored in every single text file in the Shining Force 3 games. I'm guessing the text for these is correct in some of these files and not in the others.

You are correct BI. They are stored in every text file, and in the same place in each text file too.

They're actually usually in files that have no need for them as well.

But anyway:

I don't suppose it's something like a special character being missing from the text is it? You often see text stored as something like...

"\1 passed the \2 to \3" or "$1 and $2 are now $3"

...and the \# or $# are replaced with the relevant text before being outputted (so you'd get something like "Synbios passed the Life Ring to Dantares" or "Synbios and Dantares are now Trusted"). If those special characters are absent, it would explain how it doesn't show the text properly.

The code in the translator for blue is 08color# 2, and the code for light blue is 08color# 6.

I would need to check which files are used using the diagnostic ISO's I have, although Legalize Freedom should already have a list of them somewhere :)

Edit:

Just checked the file for the first battle (X5BTL101) and it appears that whoever's done the file hasn't even put in any code for any colour - just left the text there without the added colour.

Nevertheless, by battle three (X5BTL103), the colour is back to normal again, so it really shouldn't be like that as far as you've gotten Christine...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20 2010 12:47pm
by legalize freedom
In Sc1 it would be all BTL files excluding 02 and 24. Those are actually standard files.

The strategy for these lines is to have the soulmate glow everywhere it's seen (such as status), while the other levels would only be blue in the battle messages. For the lines that contain the actual levels (partner, etc.) the only one with a colour should be the C#24 for soulmate. I believe there are 2 battle messages, one for soulmate and one for all others. The one for all others should have the blue.

As a related sidenote, the blue highlights were added for level, friendship, spell and special attack gains as an added feature. I think it pops the info you need to see for those who rush through the messages. I also think it provides a little more excitement to have gained something special.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21 2010 1:25pm
by Christine
Swalchy @ Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:01 am) wrote: Nevertheless, by battle three (X5BTL103), the colour is back to normal again, so it really shouldn't be like that as far as you've gotten Christine...

I've just finished chapter 3 and it's still displaying this way. Soulmate is colourfull at the display friendship screen however. Not sure about the battle message, I didn't see it happening. But I will check, Masqurin and Hawyard were cosing up before.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 2010 7:42pm
by Vultar
Soulmate shows up dark blue in the after battle text just like the others.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30 2010 7:03pm
by -_-lll
I am curious and would like to ask, since scenario 1 is already available in English, why translate it? Will it have any impact on other patch version if I start with an unpatched scenario 1?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30 2010 7:26pm
by Swalchy
The purposely f*cked up the dialogue of certain places in Scenario 1 as they weren't going to be releasing Scenarios 2 & 3, so the English patch of Scenario 1 fixes these places, and many others too.

The patch for Scenario 1 will show us all what the English text was supposed to say to begin with :)

Crash in S1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 2011 4:47am
by Ansa
Minor spoilers...

Playing s1 with a USA copy patched for correct translations with V12 of the patch.

After defeating Fafhard on chapter 4 the game freezes on SSF emulator (It loads the conclusion of the battle but right when the group begins to talk it freezes). I tried it two separate times before loading the disk without the patch and it worked just fine then. I don't know if it was just an issue with the ISO that I made from the disk or the translation itself or just because it was playing via emulator (my Saturn died :( ) and I already overwrote my save so I can't try to retest a different ISO now but figured I should mention it anyway.

Also just a side now I'm playing this with a 360 control which I just find ironically funny that A. it works perfectly and B. I never thought Microsoft would make a console and now I'm using it to play a Sega game on my PC.

Also wanted to say excellent job with the translation and I think the work everyone's done on this is amazing and I'm so thankful to finally play this game completely through in English.

Re: Crash in S1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 2011 10:12am
by Rick
I had the same issue, but mine crashed when you enter Flagard and Synbios approaches Conrad.

All I did was switch to an earlier version of SSF for that one scene and it was fine. I don't think that issue is the patch, its likely the emulator, which version are you using?

I used the latest when I had the crash, reverted to V11_alpha_04

Crash in S1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 2011 11:42am
by Thief
Had the same problem before. I turned on the last two checkboxes under the Screen tab, and finally managed to get through the scene.

Though, this sounds like it is patch-related, instead of due to the program's performance?

EDIT:

Eh, looks like the same bug caught up to me again in Scenario 2 Chapter 1... at the rail switch point.
Unlike with Fafhard, this one involves long talking scene, so it's a mess.

really stuck in sc1 with cd error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 2011 2:39am
by spinz
Hi, im playing the patched sc1 using ssf and up until now its played perfectly. In chapter 4 whenever i kill fafhard(sp) i get a disc error saying something about lens needing to be cleaned. I tried using an older version of ssf and didnt get the same message but it still froze. Any ideas??? Been loving this game.

EDIT: okay i found a way around it, i tried using a way older version of ssf (version 8) and i was able to get past it.
On a side note, has anyone here finished all 3 scenarios using ssf??? Huge thanks to the team for coming so far with these patches, i feel like im playing shining force 1 again, and its awwwwesome.

Re: really stuck in sc1 with cd error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 2011 5:15am
by -_-lll
Yes completed... but not with patched for the whole game

PostPosted: Sun May 01 2011 7:57pm
by Nephrite
You can also just use the Shining Force 3 Save Editor to check the flag for that battle, thus skipping it entirely. That is what I did to get past that issue.

Masked Monk193, Scenario 1 Chapter 4

PostPosted: Sun May 01 2011 8:52pm
by Nephrite
I wasn't sure where else to put this... I didn't see a topic dedicated to bugs for Scenario 1.

Anyway, just a simple issue, the Masked Monk enemies in the last battle of Chapter 4 are called "Masked Monk193," perhaps to distinguish them from the other enemies in a database? Not a big deal at all, just figured I'd post about it.

If there's a better place for these in the future I'll put them there.

Re: Masked Monk193, Scenario 1 Chapter 4

PostPosted: Mon May 02 2011 12:35am
by Swalchy
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14856&p=504716#p504716

Not surprising you didn't see the topic - hasn't been posted in for a while xD

And yes - done to distinguish them for the time being. They're just known as "Masked Monk" in the English version :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02 2011 7:03pm
by Rems
You can also use an unpatched version for the few places where the patched versions crash.

PostPosted: Tue May 03 2011 6:02pm
by suoturska
Or you can try changing SSF's settings. I didn't try it with this particular crash, but the 'Highest Compatibility' preset got me past all the crash points in the other scenarios, except the one at end of Chapter 1 in Scenario 3.

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 1:09pm
by Rin
hello everyone,
ive been playing SF3 with the patch..and it was wicked..all thanks to the translation team :blush:
my problem is i got this error on Chapter 4 right after i defeated the traitor!
when they start to talk it display this error

Image(sorry for unnecessary background =p)

as you can see im playing it with an emulator..SSF v0.12..using v12 on translation
ive tried changing my SSF version it either freeze or CD lense error...

been loving this game since SF1..pls help

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 2:08pm
by Swalchy
Yeah, we know about the Fafhard bug.

Basically, the sentence following this one is a general rule, so I'll make it bigger and bold so that people will know what to do when you come to crash errors:

If you ever have a crash occur when playing a patched CD, be it either in Scenario 1, 2, or 3, before the time that the crash happens, save your game. Then change to the original, Japanese CD and play through the crash section and save at the nearest save point.

And that'll let you continue on with the game until we can figure out exactly why the crash is happening :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 3:07pm
by suoturska
Before you do that, I'd recommend switching to the 'Highest Compatibility' preset in SSF's options. That got me past most of these crashes.

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 4:10pm
by Rin
thanks for the reply but the problem is i do not have the original CDs my friend just gave me a link for the translated SFs .cues.(and i seriously dont know if its legal to do that) and i dunt know if she has the same error...

can i attach my save game here??
so someone can make a save past my error?

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 4:31pm
by Swalchy
Rin wrote:thanks for the reply but the problem is i do not have the original CDs my friend just gave me a link for the translated SFs .cues.(and i seriously dont know if its legal to do that) and i dunt know if she has the same error...

No, it's not legal for someone to be hosting the patched files somewhere. Doing things like that actually hurts the translation project, not help it.

Could you provide us the link, so we can ask for it to be taken down?

If it's on snesorama again, I'm going to be very annoyed. We've asked them many times to not put it on there =/

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 5:37pm
by Stordarth
Rin wrote:thanks for the reply but the problem is i do not have the original CDs my friend just gave me a link for the translated SFs .cues.(and i seriously dont know if its legal to do that) and i dunt know if she has the same error...

You can get around it by finding ISOs of the original versions. Loading them should help you bypass the error.

Naturally, that is also illegal, and we can't help with that. You'll have to search around yourself.

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2011 6:57pm
by Rin
finaly i found a solution..i gave my save file to my friend and she returned it to me saved on battle inside the flagard castle..she has the orig scen 1 cd (i think thats the reason she bypass it) but she doesnt have 2 and 3 for sure.. anyway

swalchy the link is here: http://www.demonoid.me/files/downloadma ... 1169694948 (it opened my bittorent)

and...
if i want to play it legaly i would have to go to back in japan to look for the cd which i think is rare...
(im a fail japanese i cant read kanji and hiragana well :( )
so a big big thanks to the team...

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2011 6:22pm
by Sinful Force
Rin wrote:finaly i found a solution..i gave my save file to my friend and she returned it to me saved on battle inside the flagard castle..she has the orig scen 1 cd (i think thats the reason she bypass it) but she doesnt have 2 and 3 for sure.. anyway

swalchy the link is here: http://www.demonoid.me/files/downloadma ... 1169694948 (it opened my bittorent)

I don't think we can extend that far as to being able to enforce Torrents. You can find just about anything on those no problem.

Rin wrote:and...
if i want to play it legaly i would have to go to back in japan to look for the cd which i think is rare...
(im a fail japanese i cant read kanji and hiragana well :( )
so a big big thanks to the team...

Umm, no. It's not that complicated. Just make a PayPal account online, deposit money from your bank account into it, then go look for it at EBay or even here at Shininig Force Central at this link; viewforum.php?f=15

Pretty simple, no? I know I got lucky by checking the Shining Force Central link myself not too long ago (Scenario 1-3 + sealed PD all at $120 US). Wish you the best of luck too. That is, whenever you got the money and are interested. Until then, Google & Torrent are your good friends. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 2011 4:30pm
by SaiTo
suoturska wrote:Before you do that, I'd recommend switching to the 'Highest Compatibility' preset in SSF's options. That got me past most of these crashes.

I'd just like to point out that this got me past the Fafhard bug.
SSF v0.12 r1

Ps: I thought posting a torrent link here could get Moogie in trouble with her host?

Edit: Highest Compatibility didn't get me past the bug right before you talk to Conrad though. But Full Compatibility did. So I guess just play with those options if you get stuck and one of them should let you through.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 2011 3:09pm
by Ωbright
I'd just like to say that I saw the friendship messages displayed incorrectly also. The "Soulmate" messages were in dark blue, and at least once I saw "Friends" and "Trusted" in rainbow text, as if it were "Soulmate". As Already discussed, I think it's just a matter of having the wrong color code or absent color code preceding the string.

there's also some typos that were not in the original English scenario 1.

And I know that some text boxes look a bit awkward, but they should be re-written correctly. This is the way this scene is worded in the original US release of scenario 1:

And this is how it was re-written...with a grammar error.

"Me - will release" is a subject-verb error. I'm honestly pretty good with Grammar and spelling, and I'll stay vigilant with these things as I play through scenarios 2 and 3. I hope this isn't annoying...I really appreciate the translation efforts, I just want to help it to be as good as it can be! And yes, I am a confirmed grammar nazi. :p

And as long as I'm on the subject of being grateful yet frustrated, I just got through doing what it takes to get the good ending of scenario 1...for the second time. I thought, SURELY, if anything was implemented in the patch for scenario 1, it would be the broken ending. After all, it's the only thing that is truly BROKEN in the US release of scenario 1. It wasn't emplemented, as it turns out. :( I could live without the Arrow Axe being called the Sky Tomahawk...I could live without seeing "Titan of Aspia: Scenario 1" on the splash screen. But I've earned the right to see the damn good ending twice now in the past 15 years! :( Still, NOTHING compares to the disappointment of having to see the bad ending in spite of all my effort that first time. I had already beaten the game once, but the ending was so disappointing! I thought, surely there must be a way to keep those things from happening. I figured it out myself, but it took forever to train everyone up 10-12 levels to actually pull it off. Grace needed Aura 4, for one thing, to keep everyone alive long enough to do what I needed to do. ...Only to get the bad ending AGAIN in spite of all of that. :(

I have a save data from right at the end of the Arrownt battle, after doing that spoiler thing from the previous battle, but after looking at that data in the save game editor's events section for chapter 6, I don't even see a flag for whether or not that thing happened. That doesn't bode well. Why is the ending so hard to piece back together? Is it ok to go ahead and start up the next patched scenarios? I copied the save data and completed the copy for importing, I just don't want to get too far in scenario 2, only to find out that I could have...

And I know...it was stated in the "to be completed" posts that it was planned, and I even read that thread...but I didn't see that part the first time. LOL!

I hope I don't seem ungrateful. Really. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate being able to play these games in English finally, and how much I understand the work, time, and effort that has gone into it. I'm just a wee bit frustrated at this point, is all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 2011 3:46pm
by Swalchy
It probably would've been best to read the first post in this topic :)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14856#p410358

Please take note of the following paragraph:

So, in this topic, please notify us of errors/bugs/problems/etc that you find in beta released sections of Scenario 1. The only chapter released to beta at the moment is Chapter 1, so please don't post anything regarding any of the other chapters at all (those being chapters 2 - 6. DO NOT POST ANYTHING REGARDING THESE CHAPTERS).

So the reason you're seeing grammatical errors at the end of the game is due to the fact that we haven't even got to chapter 2 of scenario 1, never mind the ending of the game.

So, sorry for your frustration, but hey, it's a big task, and we really only need Japanese to English translators - the beta testers have shown they don't miss anything during a playthrough, so we'll get to any and all grammatical errors when we get to them :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 2011 4:00pm
by Ωbright
I did read that, but I was so used to reading "scenario 1" that my mind substituted that for "chapter 1", apparently. Obviously I didn't read it very well. :p

I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25 2011 6:26pm
by legalize freedom
In spite of posting on untested areas, it will be useful. I'm actually at the beginning of Ch6 in my playthough (which is essentially the final preparation for beta), so I'll be coming to this soon.

Obright, if you would, please message or email me with an explaination of the good/bad ending issue. How to get both, what you have tried, etc. If there is a problem, I should be able to address it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 2011 2:48am
by Ωbright
PM sent. Thanks!

I'm not new to the Shining series at all, but I AM new to the translation project. I am still figuring out where all that stands, and how it's proceeding. But I'm trying! And I know that you guys probably don't need any help from me, but if you do I am willing to help in any way that I can.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 2011 6:31pm
by legalize freedom
The official site (link in my sig) should tell you everything you want to know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 2012 3:18am
by Trent
So I've had some difficulty applying the patch to SF3sc1. There's no issue in creating the new iso file with the patch, however when I try and load it in SSF I get a frozen screen (like the usual opening screen, but with red dots over it and the game being unresponsive). An error message then pops up a few mins later. I've tried applying the patch several times but I get the same outcome. I don't think it's an emulator problem though as I have applied the patch to sc2 and it works fine. I've also tried using a more recent version of ssf and have had the same result. I messaged swalch about it and he suggested that I log it in this topic. The error message I get looks like this: Image

I'm not too fussed if I can't get it sorted for now, at least I can apply the patch to sc2 and sc3!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 2012 12:16pm
by Stordarth
Stab in the dark (since I'm not part of the translation crew) but are you patching a Japanese Sc 1 or English Sc 1? If it's Japanese, that could be your problem, as it's the english one you need to patch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 2012 2:20pm
by Trent
Nah it's not the Japanese version that I've been trying. There's probably a very simply solution, but I'm obviously missing it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 2012 7:25pm
by legalize freedom
Are you using Daemon Tools?

Are you loading the cue file?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 2012 2:54pm
by Trent
Yep and yep.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 2012 1:14pm
by legalize freedom
Be sure to leave the patch process alone to do its thing. Don't do anything on the computer while it's running.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 1:35am
by Trent
Yeah I've tried to do all of those things. I messaged swalch about it earlier on and he couldn't figure out what was up either. The thing is that I can apply the patch to sc2 successfully without any issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 1:38am
by Nuburan
I've noticed a small display issue. It's more of a "systems" thing than chapter-one specific, but it could, maybe, theoretically turn up in chapter one. When a character with a particularly long name is affected by a slow (or possibly support) spell, the cut-scene text (i.e., "Longnamedcharacter's defense and agility decreased!") can run out of the text box and off the screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 2:16am
by legalize freedom
Nuburan wrote:I've noticed a small display issue. It's more of a "systems" thing than chapter-one specific, but it could, maybe, theoretically turn up in chapter one. When a character with a particularly long name is affected by a slow (or possibly support) spell, the cut-scene text (i.e., "Longnamedcharacter's defense and agility decreased!") can run out of the text box and off the screen.

I noticed that, but decided to leave it as is since it is pretty rarely encountered. The fix would be to shorten the attributes (def and agi decreased). Didn't seem worth it to me.

To my knowledge, this is unrelated to any crash.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 5:13am
by Nuburan
Sorry, that was probably bad timing on my part. I didn't mean to imply that the text issue is related to crashes; just wanted to point it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 1:18pm
by legalize freedom
Trent wrote:Yeah I've tried to do all of those things. I messaged swalch about it earlier on and he couldn't figure out what was up either. The thing is that I can apply the patch to sc2 successfully without any issue.

Try to do a fresh install of the patch directly under C: and/or try on another computer.

Although if Sc2 and Sc3 are working, you may want to try a different copy of the original disc. If it's an image you downloaded, that's the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 2012 1:45pm
by Swalchy
legalize freedom wrote:
Trent wrote:Yeah I've tried to do all of those things. I messaged swalch about it earlier on and he couldn't figure out what was up either. The thing is that I can apply the patch to sc2 successfully without any issue.

Try to do a fresh install of the patch directly under C: and/or try on another computer.

Although if Sc2 and Sc3 are working, you may want to try a different copy of the original disc. If it's an image you downloaded, that's the problem.

Yeah, we tried all of that with Trent - just didn't seem to want to do anything we wanted. The only thing we didn't try is getting him to do it on another PC, which may just have to be the case =/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 2012 1:54am
by Swalchy
Got an issue when getting to Trusted friendship on the first battle of Scenario 1. Whilst it says Trusted, unlike the rest of the "Friendship" levels, it isn't in a different colour (and so is just plain white), and the extra ! at the end of Trusted stays on the battle screen as part of the dialogue box.

I'm playing on a real Sega Saturn, and have tried the patch with three different Discs. Does the same with each one.

Unfortunately, I don't have a screenshot to show you...

Edit: Here we go. Got the same thing whilst playing on SSF.

How Friend looks http://grab.by/byO5

How trusted looks http://grab.by/byO6

Edit#2:

Checked the relative lines in the original English Scenario 1 files and those in the patch files for X5BTL101 (7-256 and 8-1), and the original English Scenario 1 looks like this http://grab.by/byOg but the patched file looks like http://grab.by/byOh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 2012 3:12am
by legalize freedom
I'm aware. I have it fixed for V13.

Still not sure it will work exactly like Sc2 and Sc3 though. Trusted (along with Soulmate) may be rainbow for Sc1. Let me know how it works after V13 is released.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31 2012 7:05pm
by Bulzome
I know that this is specifically for chapter one. However, I've found an issue that I'd like to bring to your attention. In the file X5ASPI_4 on Page 8. (I can't remember which line).
Every exclamation point appears as an "x". This is the only place I've noticed it happening. I am currently using Version 12 of the Patch. I have even tried fixing the file in the translator, but I still have the same issue. I am patching an original US disc, so I'm very puzzled by this issue. It is very minor, but I wanted to bring it to someone's attention. My disc IS a little scratched, but plays just fine. I don't know if that would affect the patch at all...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2012 9:13am
by Zzasikar
Hey, I just discovered a small bug while playing through Scenario 1. I assume this topic isn't just for Chapter 1 bugs any more since the first five chapters are now in beta, but I apologise if that assumption is incorrect.

After the Switching Point battle in Chapter 2, my force received 50 experience points each and a few party members leveled up as normal. After the battle I was buying weapons from the trader on the train and stumbled across something strange:

As you can see, Synbios is level 6 with 143 experience which seems a little odd. He is the only character who seems to be exhibiting this issue.

It's probably something that is also present in the original game but I thought I'd note it here just in case it isn't since I've never noticed anything like it before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2012 4:33pm
by Danteres
@ZZasikar: That's definitely a common occurrence, with or without the patch, so you are correct :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04 2012 3:37am
by Zzasikar
Ah good to know. I must just be completely oblivious haha.

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2012 10:19pm
by Arrawnt Valhart
Hi people... Back from France to the SFC after years away.
Congratulations for your great work, I'm just thinking about gathering a French Team as I had tried years ago for translating.

I'm playing Scenario 1 patched with the latest version, and I(ve noticed that in chapter 6, after having defeated Basanda and seen her jumping in the water, the texts appears to the wrong characters, from Basanda's Fall and Spiriel's "awakening" to the meeting with Fynnding when he talks about the Colossus (still in the catacombs).

This also includes the talks with the two Aspia Soldiers guarding the secret castle entrance.

Everything seems to be cleared when back to malorie for meeting with Tristus and Margaret.

Good luck anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16 2012 4:21am
by aaaaaaf93
Arrawnt Valhart wrote:Hi people... Back from France to the SFC after years away.
Congratulations for your great work, I'm just thinking about gathering a French Team as I had tried years ago for translating.

I'm playing Scenario 1 patched with the latest version, and I(ve noticed that in chapter 6, after having defeated Basanda and seen her jumping in the water, the texts appears to the wrong characters, from Basanda's Fall and Spiriel's "awakening" to the meeting with Fynnding when he talks about the Colossus (still in the catacombs).

This also includes the talks with the two Aspia Soldiers guarding the secret castle entrance.

Everything seems to be cleared when back to malorie for meeting with Tristus and Margaret.

Good luck anyway.

I can confirm this happening on the console as well.

Also, in the same area, you can access the hero's quest. If you read the sign next to it, the text window will be stuck on the screen while you can still move around. Opening any subsequent menus will lock the game up, requiring a soft or hard reset (soft reset being A+B+C+Start)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 2013 12:45pm
by RikaPSO
Hello. Bug report!
I've been playin through the game patched and am on chapter 4 on the Fafhard battle.
After the battle is over, Fafhard's first line of text gives SSF (ver 0.12 beta r4, patch version 14 updated) a error.
The unpatched game says "Finish... finish me off, Synbios..." for when the game would get the error. The error doesn't let you continue the game.

Edit: Another bug report.
After defeating Braff in scenario 1, his first line of text freezes the game.
The unpatched game says " Synbios... It seems.... I, Braff, have lost....". Pretty much the same error.

I did try repatching, didn't help. XD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20 2013 2:42am
by legalize freedom
I don't believe this is a patch issue.

Try playing with the EZ settings. Start at Low Compatibility (Fast). If you're good there, move up one, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 2013 1:55am
by RikaPSO
legalize freedom wrote:I don't believe this is a patch issue.

Try playing with the EZ settings. Start at Low Compatibility (Fast). If you're good there, move up one, etc.

It's so weird. That worked, but I put the settings back to the highest just to test and no freeze there. o.O
So confused.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03 2013 11:00am
by Athrades
Hi guys,

I have just finished a pretty thorough playthrough of Sc1, and since the translation site says Sc1 is now in Beta, I hope it's OK if I post the things I found. Sorry this is a super long post - they are generally minor things, but hopefully you can add them to your list for next time you are updating and I hope it is helpful! Also, small issues aside, the patch is awesome! Loved seeing the corrected weapon/item names and more accurate dialogue. Thank you for making the effort to patch scenario 1.

The only major issue was the text mixup in chapter 6, which I see a couple of people have already posted about so I guess you know about it, but in case it's helpful, I think the problem originates with the plaque outside the door of the Ancient Holy Palace. When you inspect the plaque, this text appears:
The game then attempts to bring up a yes/no confirmation, and crashes. I believe the actual plaque text is missing and has been substituted by dialogue which is supposed to be said by Palsis (since the plaque wouldn't say Synbios's name and isn't supposed to have a yes/no input, which is probably what causes the crash). Thereafter, all of the characters have the wrong lines until the end of the area - Palsis congratulates Synbios on completing the Holy Palace before he has entered, and the scenes meeting the Aspia guards then Fynnding and discussion about Tristus are muddled. The next story scene with Tristus at Malorie is fine. Some more screenshots of the muddled dialogue:

Here are the more minor things I noticed:

-When you defeat Shiraf on the roof of the train in chapter 2, he says to Synbios, "Even if you reach General Rogan, the Seagate won't set sail safely". I think this mistake was in the official translation as well, but it should say "Even if Prince Medion [or "the Medion army"] reaches General Rogan, the Seagate won't set sail safely". It doesn't make sense as-is because it's not Synbios who is going to see Rogan, and nor would he group Medion and Synbios's armies into a singular "you" at this point in the game, so I think new players would find this line confusing.

-I'm sure this must have been discussed elsewhere at some point, so sorry if I missed it, but did anyone ever check the Japanese version of the Franz/Spiriel interaction prior to the Elbesem Statue battle to see if it might be translated differently? I've always assumed that the official translators didn't know the correct context for their interaction since their relationship isn't mentioned in Sc1, but Franz's lines here swearing at Spiriel and showing no concern are completely out of character when you consider his protectiveness over her in their interaction in scenario 2!

- A few typo/spelling/grammar hiccups:
Masqurin's line in Vagabond HQ - this word is spelled "emanates", rather than "eminates".

This guard outside Lookover Tower says "Bulsome" instead of "Bulzome".

This NPC in Lookover - I believe this line should be phrased/translated as something like "a nomadic caravan called Vagabond passes through here", since Vagabond is the name of the camp, but if you call the people vagabonds in English it is an insult!

This is a minor thing, but in this line by Basanda the single adjective "almighty" should be used rather then the phrase "all mighty", which is not grammatically correct in this context.

This line by Tristus in the ending scene - the word should be spelled "breached" rather than "breeched".

-I couldn't get a screenshot of this one as it was too fast for me, but when I was battling Basanda she came under the "frozen" status from a spear special ("Basanda's feet are frozen to the floor"). I then cast Blaze on her with Masq. The battle message after the Blaze cast read, "Synbios's frozen feet thaw" (this was in the battle cutscene due to being an effect of the Blaze spell, not a message on the battlefield as a status notice usually would be). It should have read "Basanda's frozen feet thaw". The same thing happened twice as I had to replay the end of this battle due to a crash so I was able to check it twice. I know this is kind of an obscure situation and I suspect it also existed in the SoA version, but it would be nice to fix it if you can :).

-This isn't exactly an error as such, but I found this line by Benetram in the ending to be a bit confusing:

I don't think it's quite clear what he is getting at because of the ambiguous phrasing, but this is an important line because he's putting forward for the first time the idea that Domaric orchestrated the abduction rather than being the victim of it. If you're interested in rephrasing it, I would suggest something like: "I should have known there was a true mastermind behind that abduction charade which endangered us all. Isn't that right, Emperor Domaric?"

-You may just not have done this yet, but I wanted to point out just in case it's been missed that the final "chapter summary" after the ending hasn't been changed from Sega of America's version where Domaric leaves Aspia - these two bits of text should instead say something to the effect of "Ohnoes, Domaric is making Medion fight Synbios in an epic cliffhanger, what happens next? DUN DUN DUN!"... you know what I mean!

-Lastly, this is probably a very nitpicky thing (sorry), but I'm a bit of a stickler for correct grammar, and there are a lot of instances of run-on sentences, especially when characters are addressing other characters by name. A couple of examples are: "You've failed me Varlant" (Benetram at the switching point) and "If you want to test your courage and wisdom Synbios..." (Palsis at the Ancient Holy Palace) among others. There should always be a comma before the character's name in these sentences (i.e. "You've failed me, Varlant"). I point it out because this would not make it past the editors in a professional translation, and I know you're aiming for that standard, so if you come across them, please sneak a comma in there! ;)

That is all! Again, thank you to all of you who have worked on this for your fantastic work, and I hope this is helpful to you! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03 2013 5:20pm
by GaresTaylan
RikaPSO wrote:Hello. Bug report!
I've been playin through the game patched and am on chapter 4 on the Fafhard battle.
After the battle is over, Fafhard's first line of text gives SSF (ver 0.12 beta r4, patch version 14 updated) a error.
The unpatched game says "Finish... finish me off, Synbios..." for when the game would get the error. The error doesn't let you continue the game.

Edit: Another bug report.
After defeating Braff in scenario 1, his first line of text freezes the game.
The unpatched game says " Synbios... It seems.... I, Braff, have lost....". Pretty much the same error.

I did try repatching, didn't help. XD

Ugh, dammit. I just ran into this exact same issue. Since the battle in the cave and this battle are back to back I hadn't saved. So now I have to play both battles over again. I really hope when I get through it and before I kill Fafhard this time, switching to the EZ settings works.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04 2013 6:03am
by legalize freedom
This is good stuff, Athrades. (note the comma)

Very good feedback which is very much appreciated. I will get these comments incorporated before the next release.

I hope you plan to take notes on Sc2 as well!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04 2013 10:56am
by Athrades
legalize freedom wrote:This is good stuff, Athrades. (note the comma)

Very good feedback which is very much appreciated. I will get these comments incorporated before the next release.

I hope you plan to take notes on Sc2 as well!

Comma noted and approved of! XD I will definitely make notes on my play through scenario 2 as well. For various reasons this is my first time playing through the translation, and I'm excited about it.

Also, I should probably have said this years ago, but if I can ever be of help with anything, you're welcome to contact me - I have some modest Japanese ability (far from fluent, but studied it at degree level for a year) and also possess a fairly extensive array of obscure SF3 knowledge accumulated through wearing out my SF3 artbook and posting on SF3 forums for years. I haven't really been an active part of the fandom since the old SFC and Jumesyn forums existed, but I still love the game, so if any of that sounds like it could be of use, you can always find me at athrades at hotmail dot com. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20 2013 11:13am
by ted2566
i think in chapter 4 after i killed Fafhard. i got an error that i dont know what to do. and i used ssf app to play sf3. can you help me how i can fix it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20 2013 12:14pm
by legalize freedom
This is an emulator issue. Try setting EZ settings lower.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26 2013 2:25am
by Mystik Duck
I'm getting an error at the same part as Fafhard but it's a different error (the most recent SSF doesn't work on my pc)

Edit moved the emulator file from the desktop to another folder and it works now O_o

Edit Edit: Not sure if it's mentioned but The masked monks in the fight after are "Masked Monk193"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06 2013 11:03pm
by legalize freedom
There shouldn't be any Masked Monk193 any longer. Those have all been finalized and that particular one is now "Masked Monk". I have checked the files in question and they are correct. Please verify you are using the latest patch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29 2014 1:24am
by Stordarth
Not sure if this has been reported yet:

Started up a new Sc1 game using the 1.5 patch, just going through the motions, watching the intro. During the council meeting, following Edmund's 'That is a harsh truth, Danteres', the game appeared to freeze once I'd clicked to get rid of the message. I began to check my settings and ask around, but I was doing so, I heard the next message pop up.

I'm wondering if there's an unusually long time delay following that message.

I'm going to tweak my settings and test it again just to see if its repeatable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29 2014 1:32am
by Stordarth
Further testing did not see the error replicate. Must have been a settings issue. Please ignore the above report.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04 2014 5:41am
by Swalchy
Just a quick one: after it says "Masqurin the Magician and Grace the Priest have joined the force" after, well, Masquirin and Grace join, there's no Full stop/exclamation mark(!) after the sentence. Pretty sure there's supposed to be one?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04 2014 1:24pm
by legalize freedom
I believe all the ending punctuation was removed from "narrator" lines some time ago, but the join lines would benefit for sure. I'll get them added for the next version.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06 2014 6:48am
by Swalchy
Talking to the four High Priests in Balsamo, they all introduce themselves as "high priest ...", but then Benetram refers to Goriate as "High Priest Goriate .." Is this intentional?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06 2014 7:16am
by legalize freedom
If it is not being used as a direct title then yes. These are good:

"We are the high priests of the Bulzome Sect."

"I am High Priest Goriate."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12 2014 12:14am
by Christine
Question. The tool shop vendor in Saraband says 'the mayor has placed a moratorium on all purchases'. Is the japanese word that got translated into 'mayor' the same for 'governor' (Garvin) or it's a different word? I only own a PAL version, not scenario 1 japanese to check the script (I could... find a way, but I'd never know if that way was tampered with).

I always thought it was bizarre translation, like the palace (the engineer's wife's original words) and mansion (what the project always called Garvin's house). However, it has yet to be changed, so I'm wondering if the item seller is referencing Garvin there or not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12 2014 1:56am
by legalize freedom
That's a great question. And now that you ask, it seems a bit obvious. I know of no other leader in Saraband that would be called the mayor. I would assume Garvin is the only authority that could order the moratorium. I will change that mayor to governor.

Over the course of the last couple of versions, the different references for the governor's mansion have been cleaned up. It should be mostly referred to as the governor's mansion, with potentially a select few references to Garvin's mansion depending on the person speaking. Garvin's goons are probably the only ones that might refer to it as Garvin's mansion. There may also be references to the governor's office which describes the bureaucracy as much as a physical location. I don't think there are any other references.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12 2014 1:04pm
by Christine
Ooh. Good thing I asked then! I believe there are a few more examples of odd things I saw last time I played. I'll try to remember them as I replay again.

Regarding 'trembling text'. There are a few examples where the whole thing isn't trembling. For example, after the first battle, the trade centre chick and that guy that blocks the left path so the player is forced to encounter the fake Benetram on the right path. Is it on purpose?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12 2014 2:29pm
by legalize freedom
Yes, that is on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 2014 4:28am
by Christine
Thank you.

I thought I was imagining it since I couldn't find it on Saraband, but I found mayor number 2 after all. At Railhead, on the station chief's house, the rich woman says something like 'he may as well be the mayor eheh' while the kid says 'even governor garvin visits here eheh'. However, Railhead also has a village chief, but I doubt she's refering to that because of the kid.

Another one I noticed this playthrough was Hayward saying inn while Mask Monks and Dantares say lodge, at the headquarters in Balsamo. It may be there to reflect different character backgrounds though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25 2014 3:11am
by The_Dark_Lord
Hey guys. I am right at the ending of Scenario 1, using the V.15 translation patch and while the notorious speech bug with Basanda is fixed, it seems that the bug somehow found its way into the very next dialogue sequences (with the Republican soldiers and then with the appearance of Fynnding).
Don't know if it matters so I'll just throw it out there: it's being played on a modded Saturn.
Picture thingamajiggie:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25 2014 12:53pm
by legalize freedom
Is it the deal where the wrong person is saying the lines?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25 2014 1:30pm
by The_Dark_Lord
Yup. Also seems to have affected the Hero's Test entrance dialogue, so I think it's affected the entire area.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26 2014 12:56pm
by legalize freedom
Looks like you had an error in the patching process. I can't reproduce this (see below).

Try starting completely over. Download the patch, run the patch on an original disc (do nothing while the patch is working), and burn the SF3.ISO file to disc (doing nothing while the disc is burning).

Out of curiosity you might want to try running the ISO you used to burn the disc in SSF to see you get the error.

You can grab a save from here:
http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/Game%20Saves/Emulator%20Saves/SF3%20Scenario%201/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 2014 2:13pm
by Depoes
Hi! I hope this is the right topic but I'll give it shot (hopefully without being banned forever).

I've just got the cd read error after killing Fafhard in scenario 1. It's an error that's been posted about before.

Here is a link to the thread I found

The solution involves swapping backup files to another SSF version, which sounds like a splendid plan. Except my backup folders appear quite empty. Backup hook has been enabled forever. I can stateload and load internal and backup saves through the ingame menus. Any idea why the backup folders aren't visible when I try to acces them outside of the game?

cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20 2014 2:42am
by legalize freedom
Not really the right place to post since this isn't a patch error, but I'll try to help.

The first thing you should try to get past that error is to go to the EZ Settings in SSF and set it to the lowest setting (Low Compatibility (Fast)). That will get you past most of these types of freezes. Set it back to normal once you're clear.

Using the normal save system (Hook Backup Library not checked) you'll find the save files in the main directory (InternalBackupRAM.bin and/or ExternalBackupRAM.bin. If using the Hook Backup save system, then the saves will be in the Backup directory. Never use save states. They will cause problems.

I personally use the normal save system since it is compatible with the actual Saturn hardware. If you have no plans or desire to move saves to a Saturn or share saves with anyone using the normal system, I suppose the Hook Backup system is more convenient. I don't know much about it since I have never used it.

For the normal saves, sometimes the files won't recognize right off the bat. Try to create, format and save to a new file a couple of times closing and starting SSF in the process and then replace the working one with the one you want to read.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15 2014 11:36pm
by Chinagonuk
Hi

Not sure if this is a patch error or something else. I'm playing the latest version of S1 (15) with the added files used for the end of the scenario translation. I've just finished the battle in the catacombs with spiriel and basanda. I went towards the Hero's Test and pressed C to read the sign outside the entrance and the game froze. Music continued to play but the game stopped and i had to reset.

Also, i see this was just mentioned, but the infamous dialog bug, where the wrong guys are speaking is still present. Not the first part with basanda, but the bit when you walk towards the final battle and you meet the 2 gaurds and fynnding.

Another thing i found strange was, after this sequence of dialog, someone says (presumably Fynnding) "I'll lead the 2nd battalion to the dam" or words to that effect. Not sure if this was present in the original game discs or not, but it shouldn't be there. The reason being that you havn't returned to malorie castle yet, and Palsis hasn't revealed his plan, therefore there shouldn't yet be a mention of the dam.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16 2014 3:11am
by legalize freedom
If you are having the wrong people speaking lines you should run the patch again. Before running it delete the SF3Track2.bin file and the previous CUE and ISO in the patch directory. Be sure not to do anything on the computer while it is running. This should solve your issues.

The first time you meet Fynnding, he mentions nothing of the damn or leading the second battalion. It is, however, in the same game file so it could have been caused by the mixed up lines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 2014 3:12pm
by Carandor
So, I've been having the same dialogue bug problems as the others, tried everything suggested here to fix it and nothing worked, I even tried downloading a copy to see if it was the scratch on my original disk that was causing it and still got the bug. Then I tried downloading the US version of the game (I have the PAL version) and the patcher worked fine, no more dialogue bug. Not sure if it was a fluke or the patcher doesn't work properly with the PAL version but it might be worth looking into.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18 2014 6:15pm
by legalize freedom
Carandor wrote:So, I've been having the same dialogue bug problems as the others, tried everything suggested here to fix it and nothing worked, I even tried downloading a copy to see if it was the scratch on my original disk that was causing it and still got the bug. Then I tried downloading the US version of the game (I have the PAL version) and the patcher worked fine, no more dialogue bug. Not sure if it was a fluke or the patcher doesn't work properly with the PAL version but it might be worth looking into.

That is interesting. I don't personally own a PAL version, so I wouldn't know. I always considered them to be identical in all but packaging. I know there are plenty of PAL patchers around though. It will be something I verify from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19 2014 1:55am
by zarkon
Hi, I was playing sf3 senario 1 with version 15 of the translation and I found one text box with a error. I think this post is the correct location to put this in, if not I apologize.

It's the king speaking and the box reads:
I didn't known a Vandal was behind the cursed village of Quonus. Nor did I know that William was searching for it.

I feel it should read I didn't know, not known.

This is I believe the haunted town after the first mission.

Just wanted to post this to help out the project, I'll keep looking for more as I play.

Thanks for all your hard work it's amazing to get to play this game in its complete form and with a great story so far. I really like the quality of the translation.

take care.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30 2014 11:14pm
by legalize freedom
Fixed it. Thanks!

And thanks for the kind words.

Be sure to post if you find any more issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12 2014 9:40pm
by Chinagonuk
Yeah, going back to the dialog bug. I had the same results as Carandor. If i patch a NTSC disc instead of my original PAL disc, the bug is fixed. Weird huh?

Also (as i play on a PAL saturn, UK 50hz) not sure if i'll have any speed isues or scrolling isues or anything like that. My untrained eye hasn't noticed anything different. Still i'm sure you'd like your patch to work perfectly on PAL versions as well as NTSC versions if possible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 2014 2:33pm
by legalize freedom
There must be some difference with the PAL version. I'll ask in a separate topic.

You're video output should not be affected. That is a function of the system video output, not anything a game would change to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14 2014 3:26pm
by rsn
Hey guys! I finally just started playing this and, so far, whenever Synbios talks, the dialog box only shows "......." instead of actual words. I aplogize if this is a known problem and I've missed something, but is there a chance that something is wrong with my copy? Everyone else's dialog is just fine and the game is playing perfectly; it's just this one character's dialog that is showing up only as "......." instead of his real lines. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for all of your efforts!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14 2014 4:58pm
by legalize freedom
SF3 uses a silent protagonist. That's the way the game was intended, to allow you to roleplay the main character. Some like it, some hate it.

At any rate, not a patch issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 2014 12:35am
by rsn
Ooh okay, thanks so much for clearing that up! At first, I actually figured that was the case and that it was intentional...but then it kept happening and I wanted to make sure because I've never seen that before. Well, good to know! And it feels great to finally be playing a new SF game after all this time, so thank you so much for your hard work!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2015 3:42pm
by Lamagier
I've not seen this mentioned here but on both scenario 1 & 2 for me (scenario 1 being a PAL disc and scenario 2 being a JAP disc) when I go into a healers magic options (during combat) and heal is selected (but before i actually cast it) the description for the spell is recover HP and then a lot of space afterwards (like blank spaces have been inserted into the description resulting in the text box being extra long).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30 2015 6:12pm
by legalize freedom
That is a function of the game. That box is as long as the longest description for that character. So select a different spell and you can find the longest length.

We have no control over it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06 2015 8:22pm
by Kaliesto
I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post this error I keep finding, but here it goes:

At the railroad refugee battle, it appears that the battle itself is very highly unstable for whatever reason, and I'm playing this on my saturn. The game the first time around froze right when the train took off at the beginning of the battle, and now the second time when I was controlling a refugee, I sent it back to it's original position to change tactics, and just froze right there.

Also earlier on the game I was outside saraband, and fighting the monks, and the saraband guard, and when I hit one of the guards, and went back to field map the game froze, and showed me the ocean underneath the field. This only happened once thankfully.

I've read somewhere this seems to happen only to scenario 1, and the rest just play just fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 08 2015 4:23am
by Musashi
I saw this mentioned earlier with previous versions of the patch and it just happened to me:

Late in Chapter 4, in Flagard castle, when Synbios (under player control) walks toward Conrad, a dialog is supposed to start, but the game instead freezes with a blue box in the corner.

Using Patch v16, playing on a modded Saturn.

Does this happen to anyone else on Patch V16? Would temporarily switching to the regular disc (US ver.) introduce any other problems?

PostPosted: Fri May 08 2015 11:24am
by legalize freedom
Curious this is still happening to some folks. Did it freeze in the same spot after multiple tries?
Likely has to do with file size. A select few files apparently need to be below the normal limit.

Switching to the regular disc wouldn't cause any problems. Please let me know if you can switch and get past it. That will give me a hint.

PostPosted: Fri May 08 2015 4:37pm
by Musashi
legalize freedom wrote:Curious this is still happening to some folks. Did it freeze in the same spot after multiple tries?
Likely has to do with file size. A select few files apparently need to be below the normal limit.

Switching to the regular disc wouldn't cause any problems. Please let me know if you can switch and get past it. That will give me a hint.

It happened twice in the same place. I tried different sides of the stairs each time.

I will see if the regular disc gets me past it tonight (about 9-10 hours from now in my time zone).

PostPosted: Fri May 08 2015 7:46pm
by Cullsoft
I'm just passed this point in the game, and this bug didn't happen to me. However, I'm using the PAL version with the v15 patch on SSF.

PostPosted: Sat May 09 2015 5:53am
by Musashi
Update: switching to my regular disc enabled the event to occur as normal. I switched back to the patched disc afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat May 09 2015 12:05pm
by legalize freedom
I've uploaded a file. Please see if this fixes your freezing issue.

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/X5FURA.bin

Put this file here:
\SF3Patch\files\s1

Then run the patch as normal.

This file is pretty small originally and we have increased its size quite a bit with the translation. It is still well below the normal max file size, but I have found the occasional file that will cause crashes in a similar situation.

I don't believe this is happening anymore in SSF except maybe in cases where the settings are too high or the computer is underpowered. It didn't happen to me during my testing of the area.

PostPosted: Sat May 09 2015 4:41pm
by Musashi
Sorry man; I already saved past that point. I'll be better about keeping separate saves going forward. After all, I do intend to help beta test the other discs.

Really appreciate the effort tho. If I convince anyone else to play SF3, or if I play it again, I (or they) will try your file out.

PostPosted: Sun May 31 2015 1:52pm
by Kaliesto
Musashi wrote:I saw this mentioned earlier with previous versions of the patch and it just happened to me:

Late in Chapter 4, in Flagard castle, when Synbios (under player control) walks toward Conrad, a dialog is supposed to start, but the game instead freezes with a blue box in the corner.

Using Patch v16, playing on a modded Saturn.

Does this happen to anyone else on Patch V16? Would temporarily switching to the regular disc (US ver.) introduce any other problems?

It's possible considering S1 from what I was reading that it had dialogue, and such that were altered because the USA didn't think it was getting S2, and S3. I believe this project restored all that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13 2015 10:13pm
by Chinagonuk
I just noticed something odd. When you enter the Vandal's mansion, you are greeted by dialog from the Vandal that say's welcome Benetram (or something like that). But when you defeat him he is talking to the army and is unaware that it is in fact Benetram who is our leader and asks "are you benetram?".

Not sure if this is a teanslation error or just an original mistake in the game's dialogue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14 2015 11:44am
by legalize freedom
I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Update:
That was a great catch. All fixed now!
Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 2015 7:36pm
by Chinagonuk
No problem. I started another playthrough so i'll keep my eyes peeled.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07 2015 12:46am
by tyree731
legalize freedom wrote:I've uploaded a file. Please see if this fixes your freezing issue.

http://sf3transftp.shiningforcecentral.com/X5FURA.bin

Put this file here:
\SF3Patch\files\s1

Then run the patch as normal.

This file is pretty small originally and we have increased its size quite a bit with the translation. It is still well below the normal max file size, but I have found the occasional file that will cause crashes in a similar situation.

I don't believe this is happening anymore in SSF except maybe in cases where the settings are too high or the computer is underpowered. It didn't happen to me during my testing of the area.

I've been playing v16 Scenario 1 on a modded Saturn, and had just reached the end of chapter 4, when I also encountered the crash walking up to Conrad. I just wanted to let you know that I used your modified patch file to make a new disc, and that disc did not encounter a crash in that scene, nor have I encountered any translation issues through the beginning of chapter 5, so it seems like it worked. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 2015 3:25am
by bpislife
I am playing Scenario 1 (v16) on an actual Sega Saturn and I am having an issue at the exact same spot on multiple Sega Saturns (I have 3). I am at the point where Synbios took a secret passage into the castle to confront lord conrad and every time I finish the dialog with Dantres, Grace and "what's her face" and go to walk up the stairs to talk, the game freezes, but the music changed. Additionally, there was another instance (happened once or twice that instead of freezing I got an error "CD read error, check disc and lense pickup" this was overlayed on the game. Typically when I see errors like that it boots me back to the CD play screen on the saturn.

This leads me to believe that it could be the translation that is the issue. I have made a new version with a different copy of shining force 3 and I am having the same issue.

Anyone else seeing this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24 2015 12:23am
by Kaliesto
Hey it's me again. I tried out your latest version, but Chapter 2 during the refugee rescue battle still freezes at random.

Also I might as well tell you what brand of CD-R I'm using just in case. It is Memorex 52 x 700MB. If that makes any difference.

Also I think somebody inserted some odd text that is not present in the game...and looks like a Editor text joke whoever did that. I think whoever added that in might be the cause of the freezing. That is just my guess to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24 2015 1:11am
by legalize freedom
Does it freeze using the same disc in an emulator? I don't think the brand matters these days, but I've always used verbatim.

You'll have to be more specific about the odd text. Is this in the same battle?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 2015 11:08am
by Kaliesto
My laptop can't handle that game in general, so l'll have no way of knowing if it freezes in the comp. As for the text yeah it's in the same battle. I thought since re-burning would have fixed it by now (good job guys by the way), but for some reason the train battle would freeze when switching over to the next character.

It might not even be the text that says..and this is from what I still remembered (DeSuME is my hero! Coming from the king that travels with you). I was thinking...okay that is weird...why is the king saying something that sounds like a editor joke? It was because some soldier guy was giving me a tip about the battle movements when trying to get the refugees over to the tracks.

I have a theory however because I thought I've read about this on this forum:

Reason I say it might not be the texts that it is possible there is too many units in this battle that is causing the modded sega saturn to choke up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 2015 1:24pm
by legalize freedom
Yes, the odd text you were talking about came to light. It is fixed in the current patch download.

I can't be sure what is causing the freeze on your Saturn. I would recommend trying it on a computer or another modded Saturn to see if the Saturn is at fault. Many times overheating can cause freezes, particularly on older consoles that have dust built-up, so be sure it is well ventilated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15 2015 10:40am
by mesmer
Hey guys,

Just to let you know I'm currently doing a complete playthrough for patch 17. I'm on the lookout for grammar errors, typos and other inconsistencies. I found a couple of them so far in Scenario 1.

When I'm done, I'll post all my results here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15 2015 12:48pm
by legalize freedom
Sounds great! Much appreciated.

Please take screenshots and create a doc file or similar with the descriptions. Be sure to include all you can tell me about the location (chapter, battle #, town, etc.).

Thanks for the extra set of eyes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 2015 7:46am
by Christine
Not sure about it.

At the bridge, after the Masked Monk kills Garosh's brother, this dialogue takes place.

Benetram: "How sadystic."
* both Fiale and Masked Monk do the *squeeze* animation and turn around towards Benetram / Synbios.
Fiale: "My sources tell me the republican army has escaped Saraband."
Masked Monk: "The main republican army has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
Fiale: "Benetram, however, is still alive... He used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever."

This is something I've seen on multiple commented LPs. People mock Fiale (disguised as the fake Benetram) for saying that his sources tell him that the republican army has escaped Saraband even though he's supposedly seeing them with his own eyes right then. I never really took the scene like that.

Edmund and Tybalt deploy sometime beforehand, so they've already escaped Saraband and are fighting somewhere outside of it. Fiale's sources report this to him and Fiale (his followers and the imperials) assume that Benetram was with those two armies and that the entirety of the republican army was already gone from Saraband. I always took it that Fiale had fallen for the republican's decoy plan.

However, when Fiale hears and then sees Benetram (and some remains of the republican army) still in Saraband, he's surprised since he had (previously) assumed they were already all gone. The Masked Monk confirms that Edmund and Tybalt are fighting outside, so Fiale then concludes Benetram used Edmund and Tybalt as decoys, so he could escape later and undetected with the much smaller Synbios' force.

Unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation. I don't know what the verbe tense is in japanese either, but consider changing the verb tense in english? From "sources tell me" to "sources told me" (or "sources had told me" IDK which would be better since english isn't my first language). Still I think it will be better phrased that way? As I said, I've seen multiple people interpret it in another way (so unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation..., if that's the case I apologise).

Fiale: "My sources told me the republican army has escaped Saraband [so how can Benetram still be here]."
Masked Monk: "The main republican army has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
Fiale: "Benetram, however, is still alive... He used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 2015 1:05pm
by legalize freedom
Christine wrote:Not sure about it.

At the bridge, after the Masked Monk kills Garosh's brother, this dialogue takes place.

* both Fiale and Masked Monk do the *squeeze* animation and turn around towards Benetram / Synbios.
Fiale: "My sources tell me the republican army has escaped Saraband."

This is something I've seen on multiple commented LPs. People mock Fiale (disguised as the fake Benetram) for saying that his sources tell him that the republican army has escaped Saraband even though he's supposedly seeing them with his own eyes right then. I never really took the scene like that.

Edmund and Tybalt deploy sometime beforehand, so they've already escaped Saraband and are fighting somewhere outside of it. Fiale's sources report this to him and Fiale (his followers and the imperials) assume that Benetram was with those two armies and that the entirety of the republican army was already gone from Saraband. I always took it that Fiale had fallen for the republican's decoy plan.

However, when Fiale hears and then sees Benetram (and some remains of the republican army) still in Saraband, he's surprised since he had (previously) assumed they were already all gone. The Masked Monk confirms that Edmund and Tybalt are fighting outside, so Fiale then concludes Benetram used Edmund and Tybalt as decoys, so he could escape later and undetected with the much smaller Synbios' force.

Unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation. I don't know what the verbe tense is in japanese either, but consider changing the verb tense in english? From "sources tell me" to "sources told me" (or "sources had told me" IDK which would be better since english isn't my first language). Still I think it will be better phrased that way? As I said, I've seen multiple people interpret it in another way (so unless I'm very wrong about this interpretation..., if that's the case I apologise).

Fiale: "My sources told me the republican army has escaped Saraband [so how can Benetram still be here]."

I believe you have interpreted this correctly on all accounts. I have a feeling those that interpret it differently weren't paying as close attention to the opening cutscene. I will clarify the line in question.

Update:
I believe this clears it up.

~8-98~ Benetram:
How sadistic...
~8-99~ Benetram Impostor:
My sources told me the Republican army had escaped Saraband.
~8-100~ Masked Monk:
The main Republican force has deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.
~8-101~ Benetram Impostor:
Benetram, however, is apparently still here... He must have used the bulk of his forces as a decoy... He's quite clever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17 2016 2:28pm
by leyanna
Is patch 17 solving the Flsgard castle crash in Ch.4 ?
I have the same problem as mentioned before, playing on the real Saturn.
The fix earlier posted seems to be gone.

Help please :damnit:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17 2016 8:27pm
by legalize freedom
The fix posted earlier was indeed incorporated into V17. If you aren't using V17, you should definitely get the latest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13 2018 12:58pm
by Evil Gately

I hope this is the sort of thing you're after in this thread! Just playing through the v1.9 patch of scn 1 and spotted this typo! In the scene just after the Railhead Switchpoint/Refugee battle, Masquirin says schickens and chickens in the same speech bubble!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13 2018 2:37pm
by legalize freedom
Evil Gately wrote:Image

I hope this is the sort of thing you're after in this thread! Just playing through the v1.9 patch of scn 1 and spotted this typo! In the scene just after the Railhead Switchpoint/Refugee battle, Masquirin says schickens and chickens in the same speech bubble!

Yes, this is so controversial there are whole threads about it. :)

It is intentional (and in the original release, btw). She is excited and rushing her words. She is correcting herself in the line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13 2018 8:53pm
by Evil Gately
Cool, no worries! :) You know, I've played scn. 1 through so many times, and I've never even noticed it! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 2018 9:42pm
by Chinagonuk
I’ve just cleared the catacombs battle using version 19 and the game is crashing afterwards. It’s during the dialogue when the music changes to the sad music.

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2018 12:22pm
by legalize freedom
If this is in SSF, it's likely more related to the emulator. There are several "crash points" in the game that if your computer is underpowered and/or the settings are set too high, it will crash. Try going to EZ Settings and setting it to the Fast/high compatibility option and try the sequence again. Once passed it, return the settings to normal.

If this is on real hardware, I will investigate further.

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2018 3:57pm
by Chinagonuk
Thanks for the reply LF. You were right, I was able to get the crash point by reducing some settings on SSF.

PostPosted: Thu May 03 2018 8:16am
by Arc_the_Lad
Yeah I finally got a crash after battle 27, during the dialogue right when the music change from the creepy music to the sad music, the music is still playing when this happens, and I can still load states and rewind the emulator.

I'm not using SSF though, I'm using Mednafen through the launchbox app. I'll post a screen of when it happens and my mednafen settings.

Here's the CFG: (I skipped the virtual ports and game specific setings since that takes up way too much space.)

I noticed SSF settings, I'll post those too, even thogh I'm not sure if it matters.

PostPosted: Thu May 03 2018 12:23pm
by legalize freedom
I don't know anything about other emulators, but I would still assume it is a product of emulation. I would also assume you could lower the settings and get past it, but I have no experience with this working in other emulators.

Save states are to be avoided in SSF (again not sure how stable they are in other emulators). The majority of people I've seen experience crashes are actively using save states. It appears that contributes to the crashing. There is even evidence that if you load a save state and make that your save moving forward, that you will have crash problems for as long as you use that save line. In other words, you never want to use the save state function for normal play (as opposed to testing).

PostPosted: Thu May 03 2018 1:29pm
by Chinagonuk
Arc_the_Lad wrote:Yeah I finally got a crash after battle 27, during the dialogue right when the music change from the creepy music to the sad music, the music is still playing when this happens, and I can still load states and rewind the emulator.

I'm not using SSF though, I'm using Mednafen through the launchbox app. I'll post a screen of when it happens and my mednafen settings.

Yeah, this is the very spot I had my crash. I'm not familiar with Mednafen but hopefully you can still get past it by changing some settings.

In SSF I changed my EZ settings from the highest to lowest settings. This meant that the following settings were changed:

Dot Clock from 4.0 to 2.0
1Block Clock from 32 to 110
SlaveSH2 Speed from 100 to 80
Recompile Block Inst from 40 to 50
Check Cycle Patter from ON to OFF
VDP Ram Revision Acces from ON to OFF
Memory Acees Wait from ON to OFF

Hope this helps you get past.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22 2018 3:08am
by 2Tie
Not sure if this is the correct place to report this, but the Inspect menu in the overworld seems to stop displaying the scrolldown arrow one element sooner than it should - this is viewable on a new game as soon as you leave the starting building. opening the Inspect menu won't show the down arrow, but you can scroll down one since you have four members in your party, and upon scrolling down the scroll up arrow appears. i first noticed this later on in the game upon reaching Vagabond, so it seems like a simple counting error. this bug is not present in the japanese version since it displays four units at a time in the menu, not three.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22 2018 12:42pm
by legalize freedom
This is an error in the game code and we have no control over it.

Thanks for taking the time to submit!