Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Postby Athrades » Sat Aug 03 2013 11:00am

Hi guys,

I have just finished a pretty thorough playthrough of Sc1, and since the translation site says Sc1 is now in Beta, I hope it's OK if I post the things I found. Sorry this is a super long post - they are generally minor things, but hopefully you can add them to your list for next time you are updating and I hope it is helpful! Also, small issues aside, the patch is awesome! Loved seeing the corrected weapon/item names and more accurate dialogue. Thank you for making the effort to patch scenario 1.

The only major issue was the text mixup in chapter 6, which I see a couple of people have already posted about so I guess you know about it, but in case it's helpful, I think the problem originates with the plaque outside the door of the Ancient Holy Palace. When you inspect the plaque, this text appears:
WARNING: SPOILER!
The game then attempts to bring up a yes/no confirmation, and crashes. I believe the actual plaque text is missing and has been substituted by dialogue which is supposed to be said by Palsis (since the plaque wouldn't say Synbios's name and isn't supposed to have a yes/no input, which is probably what causes the crash). Thereafter, all of the characters have the wrong lines until the end of the area - Palsis congratulates Synbios on completing the Holy Palace before he has entered, and the scenes meeting the Aspia guards then Fynnding and discussion about Tristus are muddled. The next story scene with Tristus at Malorie is fine. Some more screenshots of the muddled dialogue:

Here are the more minor things I noticed:

-When you defeat Shiraf on the roof of the train in chapter 2, he says to Synbios, "Even if you reach General Rogan, the Seagate won't set sail safely". I think this mistake was in the official translation as well, but it should say "Even if Prince Medion [or "the Medion army"] reaches General Rogan, the Seagate won't set sail safely". It doesn't make sense as-is because it's not Synbios who is going to see Rogan, and nor would he group Medion and Synbios's armies into a singular "you" at this point in the game, so I think new players would find this line confusing.

-I'm sure this must have been discussed elsewhere at some point, so sorry if I missed it, but did anyone ever check the Japanese version of the Franz/Spiriel interaction prior to the Elbesem Statue battle to see if it might be translated differently? I've always assumed that the official translators didn't know the correct context for their interaction since their relationship isn't mentioned in Sc1, but Franz's lines here swearing at Spiriel and showing no concern are completely out of character when you consider his protectiveness over her in their interaction in scenario 2!

- A few typo/spelling/grammar hiccups:
Masqurin's line in Vagabond HQ - this word is spelled "emanates", rather than "eminates".

This guard outside Lookover Tower says "Bulsome" instead of "Bulzome".

This NPC in Lookover - I believe this line should be phrased/translated as something like "a nomadic caravan called Vagabond passes through here", since Vagabond is the name of the camp, but if you call the people vagabonds in English it is an insult!

This is a minor thing, but in this line by Basanda the single adjective "almighty" should be used rather then the phrase "all mighty", which is not grammatically correct in this context.

This line by Tristus in the ending scene - the word should be spelled "breached" rather than "breeched".

-I couldn't get a screenshot of this one as it was too fast for me, but when I was battling Basanda she came under the "frozen" status from a spear special ("Basanda's feet are frozen to the floor"). I then cast Blaze on her with Masq. The battle message after the Blaze cast read, "Synbios's frozen feet thaw" (this was in the battle cutscene due to being an effect of the Blaze spell, not a message on the battlefield as a status notice usually would be). It should have read "Basanda's frozen feet thaw". The same thing happened twice as I had to replay the end of this battle due to a crash so I was able to check it twice. I know this is kind of an obscure situation and I suspect it also existed in the SoA version, but it would be nice to fix it if you can :).

-This isn't exactly an error as such, but I found this line by Benetram in the ending to be a bit confusing:

I don't think it's quite clear what he is getting at because of the ambiguous phrasing, but this is an important line because he's putting forward for the first time the idea that Domaric orchestrated the abduction rather than being the victim of it. If you're interested in rephrasing it, I would suggest something like: "I should have known there was a true mastermind behind that abduction charade which endangered us all. Isn't that right, Emperor Domaric?"

-You may just not have done this yet, but I wanted to point out just in case it's been missed that the final "chapter summary" after the ending hasn't been changed from Sega of America's version where Domaric leaves Aspia - these two bits of text should instead say something to the effect of "Ohnoes, Domaric is making Medion fight Synbios in an epic cliffhanger, what happens next? DUN DUN DUN!"... you know what I mean!

-Lastly, this is probably a very nitpicky thing (sorry), but I'm a bit of a stickler for correct grammar, and there are a lot of instances of run-on sentences, especially when characters are addressing other characters by name. A couple of examples are: "You've failed me Varlant" (Benetram at the switching point) and "If you want to test your courage and wisdom Synbios..." (Palsis at the Ancient Holy Palace) among others. There should always be a comma before the character's name in these sentences (i.e. "You've failed me, Varlant"). I point it out because this would not make it past the editors in a professional translation, and I know you're aiming for that standard, so if you come across them, please sneak a comma in there! ;)

That is all! Again, thank you to all of you who have worked on this for your fantastic work, and I hope this is helpful to you! :D
Last edited by Athrades on Sun Aug 04 2013 11:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Athrades

Postby GaresTaylan » Sat Aug 03 2013 5:20pm

RikaPSO wrote:Hello. Bug report!
I've been playin through the game patched and am on chapter 4 on the Fafhard battle.
After the battle is over, Fafhard's first line of text gives SSF (ver 0.12 beta r4, patch version 14 updated) a error.
The unpatched game says "Finish... finish me off, Synbios..." for when the game would get the error. The error doesn't let you continue the game.

Edit: Another bug report.
After defeating Braff in scenario 1, his first line of text freezes the game.
The unpatched game says " Synbios... It seems.... I, Braff, have lost....". Pretty much the same error.

I did try repatching, didn't help. XD

Ugh, dammit. I just ran into this exact same issue. Since the battle in the cave and this battle are back to back I hadn't saved. So now I have to play both battles over again. I really hope when I get through it and before I kill Fafhard this time, switching to the EZ settings works.
GaresTaylan

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Aug 04 2013 6:03am

This is good stuff, Athrades. (note the comma)

Very good feedback which is very much appreciated. I will get these comments incorporated before the next release.

I hope you plan to take notes on Sc2 as well!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Athrades » Sun Aug 04 2013 10:56am

legalize freedom wrote:This is good stuff, Athrades. (note the comma)

Very good feedback which is very much appreciated. I will get these comments incorporated before the next release.

I hope you plan to take notes on Sc2 as well!

Comma noted and approved of! XD I will definitely make notes on my play through scenario 2 as well. For various reasons this is my first time playing through the translation, and I'm excited about it.

Also, I should probably have said this years ago, but if I can ever be of help with anything, you're welcome to contact me - I have some modest Japanese ability (far from fluent, but studied it at degree level for a year) and also possess a fairly extensive array of obscure SF3 knowledge accumulated through wearing out my SF3 artbook and posting on SF3 forums for years. I haven't really been an active part of the fandom since the old SFC and Jumesyn forums existed, but I still love the game, so if any of that sounds like it could be of use, you can always find me at athrades at hotmail dot com. :)
Athrades

Postby ted2566 » Fri Sep 20 2013 11:13am

i think in chapter 4 after i killed Fafhard. i got an error that i dont know what to do. and i used ssf app to play sf3. can you help me how i can fix it?
ted2566

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Sep 20 2013 12:14pm

This is an emulator issue. Try setting EZ settings lower.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Mystik Duck » Tue Nov 26 2013 2:25am

I'm getting an error at the same part as Fafhard but it's a different error (the most recent SSF doesn't work on my pc)

Edit moved the emulator file from the desktop to another folder and it works now O_o

Edit Edit: Not sure if it's mentioned but The masked monks in the fight after are "Masked Monk193"
Mystik Duck

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Dec 06 2013 11:03pm

There shouldn't be any Masked Monk193 any longer. Those have all been finalized and that particular one is now "Masked Monk". I have checked the files in question and they are correct. Please verify you are using the latest patch.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 29 2014 1:24am

Not sure if this has been reported yet:

Started up a new Sc1 game using the 1.5 patch, just going through the motions, watching the intro. During the council meeting, following Edmund's 'That is a harsh truth, Danteres', the game appeared to freeze once I'd clicked to get rid of the message. I began to check my settings and ask around, but I was doing so, I heard the next message pop up.

I'm wondering if there's an unusually long time delay following that message.

I'm going to tweak my settings and test it again just to see if its repeatable.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM]
Magic: /roll d26
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
Durandar
HP: 21/21
AC: 22/ FF 21/ Touch 11
Fort+7/ Reflex+1/ Will+1
Smite Opposition (1)
Incarnum Defence (Immune to all fear)

Dice Codes
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM]

---
Durandar
Fort+7/ Reflex+1/ Will+1
Smite Opposition (1)
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 29 2014 1:32am

Further testing did not see the error replicate. Must have been a settings issue. Please ignore the above report.

Dice Codes

---
Durandar
Fort+7/ Reflex+1/ Will+1
Smite Opposition (1)

Dice Codes

---
Durandar
Fort+7/ Reflex+1/ Will+1
Smite Opposition (1)
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Swalchy » Tue Feb 04 2014 5:41am

Just a quick one: after it says "Masqurin the Magician and Grace the Priest have joined the force" after, well, Masquirin and Grace join, there's no Full stop/exclamation mark(!) after the sentence. Pretty sure there's supposed to be one?
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Feb 04 2014 1:24pm

I believe all the ending punctuation was removed from "narrator" lines some time ago, but the join lines would benefit for sure. I'll get them added for the next version.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Thu Feb 06 2014 6:48am

Talking to the four High Priests in Balsamo, they all introduce themselves as "high priest ...", but then Benetram refers to Goriate as "High Priest Goriate .." Is this intentional?
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Feb 06 2014 7:16am

If it is not being used as a direct title then yes. These are good:

"We are the high priests of the Bulzome Sect."

"I am High Priest Goriate."
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Sat Apr 12 2014 12:14am

Question. The tool shop vendor in Saraband says 'the mayor has placed a moratorium on all purchases'. Is the japanese word that got translated into 'mayor' the same for 'governor' (Garvin) or it's a different word? I only own a PAL version, not scenario 1 japanese to check the script (I could... find a way, but I'd never know if that way was tampered with).

I always thought it was bizarre translation, like the palace (the engineer's wife's original words) and mansion (what the project always called Garvin's house). However, it has yet to be changed, so I'm wondering if the item seller is referencing Garvin there or not.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Apr 12 2014 1:56am

That's a great question. And now that you ask, it seems a bit obvious. I know of no other leader in Saraband that would be called the mayor. I would assume Garvin is the only authority that could order the moratorium. I will change that mayor to governor.

Over the course of the last couple of versions, the different references for the governor's mansion have been cleaned up. It should be mostly referred to as the governor's mansion, with potentially a select few references to Garvin's mansion depending on the person speaking. Garvin's goons are probably the only ones that might refer to it as Garvin's mansion. There may also be references to the governor's office which describes the bureaucracy as much as a physical location. I don't think there are any other references.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Sat Apr 12 2014 1:04pm

Ooh. Good thing I asked then! I believe there are a few more examples of odd things I saw last time I played. I'll try to remember them as I replay again.

Regarding 'trembling text'. There are a few examples where the whole thing isn't trembling. For example, after the first battle, the trade centre chick and that guy that blocks the left path so the player is forced to encounter the fake Benetram on the right path. Is it on purpose?
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Apr 12 2014 2:29pm

Yes, that is on purpose.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Tue Apr 15 2014 4:28am

Thank you.

I thought I was imagining it since I couldn't find it on Saraband, but I found mayor number 2 after all. At Railhead, on the station chief's house, the rich woman says something like 'he may as well be the mayor eheh' while the kid says 'even governor garvin visits here eheh'. However, Railhead also has a village chief, but I doubt she's refering to that because of the kid.

Another one I noticed this playthrough was Hayward saying inn while Mask Monks and Dantares say lodge, at the headquarters in Balsamo. It may be there to reflect different character backgrounds though.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby The_Dark_Lord » Fri Apr 25 2014 3:11am

Hey guys. I am right at the ending of Scenario 1, using the V.15 translation patch and while the notorious speech bug with Basanda is fixed, it seems that the bug somehow found its way into the very next dialogue sequences (with the Republican soldiers and then with the appearance of Fynnding).
Don't know if it matters so I'll just throw it out there: it's being played on a modded Saturn.
Picture thingamajiggie:
The_Dark_Lord

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project