SFIII Translation Project: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Please read first post first!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Post by Swalchy »

Please Read the FAQ Topic First - Translation Project FAQ

Realising that in the FAQ I had mentioned there would be a topic dedicated to errors found in the beta released sections, and that there wasn't any, I shall now be posting three topics, one each for each scenario (to keep things tidy and non-confusing).

So, in this topic, please notify us of errors/bugs/problems/etc that you find in beta released sections of Scenario 1. The only chapter released to beta at the moment is Chapter 1, so please don't post anything regarding any of the other chapters at all (those being chapters 2 - 6. DO NOT POST ANYTHING REGARDING THESE CHAPTERS).

Thank you :D
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:

Re: Scenario 1 Error Report Topic

Post by Two Headed Thing »

Guess I qualify for asking here. I've read de FAQ and couldn't find an answer to my problem, and it happens since the first lines of the game (hence, a reportedly beta test chapter).

I speak from Brazil, so pardon my misspelling or anything like that. Hopefully I'll make myself clear.

I patched the most recent version available on the translation site, with an original scenerio 1 CD.

I used Daemon tools as a CD player for the ISO, since I don't have a modded Saturn, only a regular (and very old) one. The original CD works fine as far as I can see, with an emulator. Anyway, the problems found were in a part of the game where the original CD works perfectly.

The versions of the emulators and fo daemon tools were downloaded from the translation project website. I've tested SSF with the original CD and it worked fine despite my laptop not having the recommended settings (1.86GHz centrino duo processor). It gets a bit slow when there's too much on the screen, but that's all.

Cassini wouldn't work with the original CD, but worked fine (a bit worse than SSF) with the ISO, except that it had the same problem. So it can't be a problem with the emulators, daemon tools, the original CD version, and I couldn't find anyone with this problem anywhere on the apropriate threads, or in the FAQ. And, again it is on a scenario and chapter labeled as in "beta test" phase.

Without further ado, the issue:

The dialog lines or boxes don't appear. They behave as if I had a turbo joystick on and was just skipping all the dialog. Indeed, all the dialog in the story is skipped. Whenever there's an option for me to click, the game waits for my answer (yes/no, when i click on status, or item panel, etc), and the boxes and words do appear. The status window, for example, is seen thoroughly, with all the sub windows, both for dantares and symbios.

If I want to change symbios name I can, the letters appear, etc. But the wizard or he fairy dont say a word.

The first dialogues of the story go without a word. The head of the person who's supposed to be talking flashes on the screen and goes (again, as if I had skipped their dialogues) this goes on until I go out of the castle, and continues with the NPCs, etc.

Whenever I try opening a cabinet, for example, the box appears. If there's something to be gotten there, I take it, and the box and letters appear. When I investigate the bookcase the box "you're investigating the bookcase" appears, but the content of the bookcase doesn't.

So, any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to know if you can really transport one character from game 1 to the others, with their stats, weapon development, etc, and if the different patches released can clash with the files containing the characters. Otherwise, I'd only be able to play when the full tested versions appear.

That's all for now. Thanks for the initiative! :thumbsup:
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Sounds like you haven't updated the patch files.
Rems
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Sc1 glitch

Post by Rems »

Hello all

I'm just wondering if this bug that made my game crash is known, or if it could be due to a bad ROM burning or if it might have been fixed already.

I play with a patched European version with patch files that date from Nov 2008, on a US Saturn, with a Action Replay but no cheats enabled (I used it just for saves).

The glitch is a frozen screen after reading the sign of the Hero's Test at the very end of Chapter 6.

On a side note:
Spoiler
It's nice to have the conversation between a defeated Basanda and the Force not messed up!!
I take the chance to ask if I'm likely to miss any improvements using those old Nov 2008 files?
Qui fait le malin, tombe dans le ravin.
Hop ! Bof...
Profound
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Profound »

In chapter 1, when you exit the Republic's mansion with Benetram in the team (after the first battle), if you try to enter back, Dantares will say a line which is glitched.
Ymarsakar

Post by Ymarsakar »

I'm getting the same issue as TH.

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... opic=16618

Lf, what do you mean by updating patch files?
revenos

Post by revenos »

I just recently played through Scenario 1 Chapter 1 using the 2010-06-28 update files.

Issues that I came across:
1) the conversation bug that Profound mentioned is still around (see conversationBug.jpg) - this occurs during the brief time when the king is following you around the city.

2) the text shake effect seems to have been lost from a number of different conversations. Around 10-20 NPCs throughout chapter 1 should be using it but as it stands I only saw about 3-4 partially working ones and 0 fully working. (see textShake.png - this is one of the partially working ones where only the first line of text was shaking correctly)

Edit:
to view the attachment, right click the attachment link and save it as {anything}.zip
(it comes up as index.php in firefox, no idea how or why that happened...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

The Read Me.doc that comes with the patch explains how to update the files.

I can't download your file. Please post to an image site or email it to me.

1) I need a little more information. How is it glitched? If you are talking about the 0; 1; 2; etc. that was a test I was doing to check the number spacing. It has been removed, but the fixed files haven't yet been posted.

2) Do you mean during the explosions? Please give me the game file you've noticed this. You can find the game files in the SectionProgress-Sc1.xls on the FTP. Only the game file is needed, no description of the line. I'll look them up.
There are a few places where it is intentionally shaking a portion of the line as opposed to the entire line. I'm sure there are also places where the shaking didn't fit very well.
revenos

Post by revenos »

(I edited my previous post)
If you are talking about the 0; 1; 2; etc. that was a test
Yes, that was the one. Not a bug then...
2) Do you mean during the explosions? Please give me the game file you've noticed this. You can find the game files in the SectionProgress-Sc1.xls on the FTP. Only the game file is needed, no description of the line. I'll look them up.
No, its not related to explosions, only the visual effect for the text of dialog. It wasn't just one particular conversation... almost all files for chapter 1? (excluding battles)
There are a few places where it is intentionally shaking a portion of the line as opposed to the entire line. I'm sure there are also places where the shaking didn't fit very well.
That may not be related, I only recall seeing whole text lines shaking - but never part of a line or the whole dialog box text.

I doubt I can remember all of them from my first play-through... but to give a quick list, these are the character that I think should have had shaking text dialogs:

Saraband
(just before the 1st battle)
1) one of the imperial guards (imperial camp)

(just after the 1st battle)
2) guy running around in a panic (central district)
3) one of the people in the church (central district church)
4) the girl who is in front of the trade center door (central district)
5) guy blocking a fence path near the chickens (republic district)

(after the second battle)
6) one of the dying guards? (central district)
7) at least 2 within the many houses (the screen-shot was from one of these)

Balsamo
8) One of the soldiers (Imperial Barracks?)

(probably not the complete list)
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I'll look into it.

Umm... Didn't need descriptions as stated before... only game file names...

Got descriptions and didn't get file names...
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

Here's one quick one I've found. For some reason, Zero's name is replaced everywhere with "PC24".

Edit: sorry. I wrote that down as part of chapter 1, but I don't think Zero is even mentioned in chapter 1. Apologies.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

Kalkano @ Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm) wrote:Here's one quick one I've found. For some reason, Zero's name is replaced everywhere with "PC24".
Hopefully I gave Legalize Freedom a complete listing (with game file codes) of all the PC24 mentions, as this is something that really, really bothered my about the patch for some reason. (I guess I really like to role play this game?)

But yeah, can't wait for this to get finally corrected soon.
These days I go by Righteous Force.
Vakr

Post by Vakr »

So I've rather been having the same trouble as Two Headed Thing. No dialog windows are properly displaying themselves, only an occasional brief flicker of the character portraits.

I've tried repatching the same previously patched ISO several times.

I've tried repatching the original ISO several times.

It IS the standard US-NTSC version of the game which plays in my unmodified US Saturn, although I'm not bothering to try to burn the modified ISO since it's less bother to make it work through an emulator than swapping discs. The unmodified ISO seems to function without error when run with SSF and my original disc has been well kept (I bought it new a decade ago) and not at all scratched up.

Should it come to that I need simply play it through once more with Sega's translation and then read notes on the differences that may well prove the option, preliminary results of modifying the Scenario 2+3 discs do not have the same trouble and should be playable.

Anyhow, since I'm not the only one it must be a relatively easily encountered and bothersome phenomena.
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Hmm, I've been seeing a lot of topics like this recently. Would you mind zipping up your patcher directory and sending it to me? I'll have a go at patching my copy of Scenario 1 (which is the UK version) with the exact patcher your using and see if I get a similar result and maybe have a look at the files its using in the translator. I can at least rule out if its an issue with the patcher/files then.

The patcher is usually located in C:\SF3 Patcher\. Make sure you remove any ISOs you've created using it so it's a reasonable size. The zip file should be about 8 MB if you removed everything.

Email leons87[AT]hotmail[DOT]com if you want to email it to me. If you want to host it on some site or other then just PM me the URL. Ta very much. :)
Vakr

Post by Vakr »

To provide a little running commentary, I have complied with BoneIdol's directions and hopefully we can gain some insight. I do not, however, see how my patch directory might have undergone unique changes on my computer, I reinstalled it afresh from the file acquired from the official SFC-hosted translation site for a few of my attempts.

In any case I am grateful for the project and the keen minds dedicating what time and energy they can to vastly improving our enjoyment of a fantastic game series.
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Well, I'm guessing the files on the official site are a wee bit corrupt then. I tried patching with the files you're using and got the exact same result. I dunno whos actually maintaining the site, but they could do with replacing them.

When I used the very latest translation files (available here) and the bug was fixed. Anyone with this bug just needs to download the zip file at that link and plonk the various .bin and .spr files it contains into \SF3Patch\files\s1\.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

All the links on the official site should be pointing to the FTP. There aren't 2 places where the files are kept.

Try downloading them yourself and see if you get the same result. Something might be happening in the download.
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Then the exe installer is borked it seems. I just downloaded and installed it now and patched Scenario 1 using it and got the same, textless result. :(
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Does the same thing happen whether you download from the official site or directly from the FTP?
BoneIdol
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by BoneIdol »

Exactly the same on both (which isn't surprising since its linking to the FTP), the file did the same thing when I downloaded it off of the ftp and when I downloaded it by clicking the get patch button on the translation site.

In both instances, the exe file had the md5 hash 5cfcb52fcc5caa509d13745a1675ffab and the sha1 hash 71927afad4772492f1b0aea71a51903f751bc964. They are definitely identical both times I downloaded it. It's looking very much like the scenario 1 data that comes in the installer is screwed. :(

--EDIT--

If you wanna compare hashes, I wrote a quick little .net application to generate the md5 and sha1 hashes of two files and compare them (I was using a PHP script to get them before). http://www.mediafire.com/?1x782en825x9b5t. It's like 12kb and a dozen lines of code so I shaln't bother with sharing the source. ;)