Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

David's Classes

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Feb 04 2019 1:04pm

I'd like to get feedback regarding a possible change to David's classes. His current classes seem odd.

Ranger
Commando
Striker


Striker doesn't seem like final promotion worthy, esp next to all the other grand names. Commando would seem to be a more appropriate final class.

I also noticed plain old Fighter isn't used anywhere in the rest of the game, which would be very fitting given the situation we find him in Stump (basically rebelling and fighting back against the Bulzome Sect).

Here are some possibilities:

Fighter
Ranger
Commando

Ranger
Fighter
Commando

Ranger
Striker
Commando


Please let me know what you think of these or suggest others.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby Special T » Mon Feb 04 2019 11:11pm

I think Fighter, Ranger, Commando is the best combination.

If I'm reading wikipedia correctly it looks like striker is a lower rank so it wouldn't make sense to use that as the final promotion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_enlisted_rates
Special T

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 8:15pm
Location: Riverview

Re: David's Classes

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 06 2019 4:59pm

Ranger
Striker
Commando
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick

User avatar
Lionheart
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 8112
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 9:05pm
Location: England

Re: David's Classes

Postby DiegoMM » Wed Feb 06 2019 8:46pm

For me Fighter sounds like Zylo, Gerhalt and Frank class, like a Brawler.
So I go too with
Ranger
Striker
Commando
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed May 05 2010 2:48pm

Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Feb 08 2019 8:47pm

Was never a fan of him being called a Ranger. That class is normally designated for an archer, not a person who throws other kinds of weapons
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby Bulzome » Sun Feb 10 2019 2:21am

I'd have to agree that "Ranger" doesn't quite seem like an appropriate class for David. I like "Fighter" and "Battler" for his starting class.
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf
Bulzome

User avatar
~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Sep 22 2008 3:50pm
Location: Altoona, PA, US

Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Feb 11 2019 6:06am

The closest thing I could find is a Peltast, which is a type of Greek infantryman who specialized in throwing javelins.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby Chinagonuk » Mon Feb 11 2019 4:00pm

I feel like Commando is best for his middle class since he is basically being a commando when he attacks the tank at the end of Scenario 2.
Chinagonuk

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 19 2013 4:44pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Feb 11 2019 7:33pm

Chinagonuk wrote:I feel like Commando is best for his middle class since he is basically being a commando when he attacks the tank at the end of Scenario 2.


That was an early reaction from me also until I realized he led an entire battalion. Commando's are solo specialists, correct?



Knight0fDragon wrote:Was never a fan of him being called a Ranger. That class is normally designated for an archer, not a person who throws other kinds of weapons.


In D&D terms, a Ranger is more of a jack of all weapon types who is in tune with the wilderness. In those terms, David probably fits the bill.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Feb 12 2019 4:36am

we aren't playing D&D, we are playing Shining Force lol. In Shining Force 2, May is a Ranger, and she is a centaur Bowman, which would be Justin if you did not already get him promoted.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby Rune » Tue Feb 12 2019 7:24pm

legalize freedom wrote:
Chinagonuk wrote:I feel like Commando is best for his middle class since he is basically being a commando when he attacks the tank at the end of Scenario 2.


That was an early reaction from me also until I realized he led an entire battalion. Commando's are solo specialists, correct?


I thought the term was more directed at highly trained special ops, with the idea of anyone working solo to be Hollywood nonsense. Doesn't the Hollywood nonsense usually require some ridiculous sequence of events, that causes someone to go solo (like their daughter is kidnapped, command refuses to send anyone, or the rest of their term is killed)?

Also I think Ranger fits in well, if we're using commando in the modern sense, since wikipedia gave me this from the commando page: The US Rangers were founded by Major General Lucian Truscott of the US Army, a liaison officer with the British General Staff. In 1942, he submitted a proposal to General George Marshall that an American unit be set up "along the lines of the British Commandos".
Last edited by Rune on Tue Feb 12 2019 7:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

User avatar
Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 7413
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 9:33pm

Re: David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Feb 12 2019 7:30pm

Interesting. It looks like they've used Ranger / Bow Knight for the centaur archers, maybe better described as shell users or artillery while the humanoid races use the standard Archer / Sniper classes.

May in SF2 as well as Stock and Graham in SFCD. Lyle from SF1 also would fall into this category, but his official classes were Assault Knight and Strike Knight. So that gives us some more info to draw from.

The fact that David isn't a centaur may be what is driving opinions against Ranger.


Some interesting Commando info on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando
After 1945
After World War II there was much publicity about the deeds of "the commandos"; many civilians reading these accounts, guessing a meaning from the context, thought in error that the singular "a commando" meant one man, and that usage became general.

It would be interesting to tie his class to Israel's commandos given the real world David, but I didn't see anything suitable...
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA


Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Feb 13 2019 5:21am

Rune wrote:
Also I think Ranger fits in well, if we're using commando in the modern sense, since wikipedia gave me this from the commando page: The US Rangers were founded by Major General Lucian Truscott of the US Army, a liaison officer with the British General Staff. In 1942, he submitted a proposal to General George Marshall that an American unit be set up "along the lines of the British Commandos".



Personally, I do not think we should be using modern definitions of anything, because in modern warfare, everybody is an "archer" since guns are the primary weapon now in a skirmish. The only reason I would even agree with using Commando is for the special forces type definition of it, as it is seen as somebody who possesses a wide range of skills.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Feb 13 2019 5:24am

legalize freedom wrote:Interesting. It looks like they've used Ranger / Bow Knight for the centaur archers, maybe better described as shell users or artillery while the humanoid races use the standard Archer / Sniper classes.

May in SF2 as well as Stock and Graham in SFCD. Lyle from SF1 also would fall into this category, but his official classes were Assault Knight and Strike Knight. So that gives us some more info to draw from.

The fact that David isn't a centaur may be what is driving opinions against Ranger.


Some interesting Commando info on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando
After 1945
After World War II there was much publicity about the deeds of "the commandos"; many civilians reading these accounts, guessing a meaning from the context, thought in error that the singular "a commando" meant one man, and that usage became general.

It would be interesting to tie his class to Israel's commandos given the real world David, but I didn't see anything suitable...


Real world David? I assume you are referring to the biblical version of David that many people think he is derived from. (Surprised he wasn't given a sling tbh lol)
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Feb 13 2019 1:22pm

knight0fdragon wrote:Real world David? I assume you are referring to the biblical version of David that many people think he is derived from. (Surprised he wasn't given a sling tbh lol)


No, the Israeli singer this character was based off of. Surely you remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-L0s_98CAI
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Feb 13 2019 3:21pm

Actually I was not aware of this duo, I only knew of the connection with David from David and Goliath. That is rather interesting.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Feb 18 2019 1:22pm

Based on these opinions, I have three sets of classes I could live with and will start a poll soon.

Last chance to get your opinion on the ballot!

Voice support for certain classes or share new ideas!
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes

Postby Swalchy » Sun Mar 10 2019 1:43pm

*le bumpety bump*
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post


Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.


Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post


Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.


Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 10423
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 5:16pm

Re: David's Classes

Postby WolfTJD » Sun Mar 10 2019 3:29pm

bump! @ legalize freedom!!
Long Live All Things Shining!!
Long Live All Things Shining!!
WolfTJD

User avatar
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 24 2018 1:32pm
Location: New York USA

Next

Return to SFIII Translation Project

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest