Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums SFC News
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SFC Hosting Renewal: we're searching the realm for US$360!

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderator: SFC News

Re: SFC Hosting Renewal: we're searching the realm for US$36

Postby KoLAddict » Fri Sep 02 2011 12:31pm

Talk about convenient. I get 3 paychecks this month, so I'll definitely be contributing some funds. I'll have to wait til my second or third check to do so, but I've always enjoyed this community. Not sure how long the site's been up, but I'm pretty sure I was here a long time ago when it was under a completely different format with a coin system, with a username I don't even remember.
KoLAddict

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

SFC Hosting Renewal: we're searching the realm for US$36

Postby fanuminski » Fri Sep 02 2011 2:20pm

Omega Entity wrote:Convenient suggestion, for someone who only has 22 posts.

My Point was that someone who has spent their time and part of their "life"
to post over 1000 times to a site must enjoy doing so - and can
show their appreciation by donating what they can.

IMHO, we, and specifically they, should be grateful to Moogie
for all she has done to maintain this site over the many years- and not begrudge
her (again, imo) any trivial extra amount that may be leftover.

(For the record, I have followed this site for many more years than what
my current avatar "join date" shows. And, have sent donations for the yearly
"beg" many times. Somewhere along the line my original username was
lost -and I had to re-register.)

However, I still wouldn't be close to 1000 posts -lol

It's simple - if you enjoy this place, please donate a little if you can
but please stfu over any extra "chickenfeed" - especially if you are a frequent guest.
fanuminski

Postby Omega Entity » Fri Sep 02 2011 2:46pm

Don't confuse me with them. I'm not commenting on that either way, as I wasn't here and didn't know. But a lot of people just don't have the money, myself included. Every $5 counts for me right now, or trust me, I would be sending money.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Fri Sep 02 2011 3:10pm

Listen buddy, there are many more important things going on in my life that does not involve SFC. If not sending in money meant that I would have to leave the site, I would certainly have no qualms in doing so.

The issue comes in the fact that there was enough money to take care of this place for at least this year, if not another year already. I also hope you are aware that this is a donation and not payment. I never asked anyone to host this site (or pay $360 to do so). I use these message boards and that is it. There are multiple other ways for me to communicate with people around the world. I haven't used the sites in years because it's a void of half-finished information that has been begging to be completed. And that is where my "donation" comes in. I can easily enhance the Shining Force II site (which may seem full, but it needs help), and the Shining Force I site is barely even there (and has had piles of information waiting to be inserted by another member).

You want something that makes this site worth coming to? It won't come in the form of money from me; it will be in raw (much needed) information. If you don't like updated sites, more power to you. But until you can understand the full dynamics of everything here, I don't really give a damn about how you think things should be run.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Fri Sep 02 2011 3:25pm

As I get older the years go by quicker and it means that projects I've intended to give time to have not gotten done as quickly as I would have liked. Now the beast which is SFC is in some way ready for others to do updates (just a bit of tidying up on the CMS, and voila!) I can move on to the other sites which I know need work. I fully intend to keep my promise to Trent and I'm truly sorry that I haven't been able to fulfil it sooner.

But please folks, don't argue. I know money's tight for everyone - if I wasn't in the same position I wouldn't ask for help. In my life too, every $5 counts. It's not easy with a mortgage and bills constantly on the rise when the house needs work (almost there, thank goodness) and having just paid out for a wedding, and I know plenty of peeps are eeking things out too for whatever reasons. I'm not demanding money from anyone, nor asking for everyone to give, I know we always manage to scrape together enough, and I do wish that I hadn't lost out when Smoove closed down or perhaps we would have had an extra year covered. We are where we are.
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby fanuminski » Fri Sep 02 2011 3:53pm

Good luck to you Moogie on meeting your annual hosting dues.
I hope the site can be around for years to come.
(At least till Renatobs comes through with his "demo" for
you on SF2 -lol)

And to my "buddy" out there - 15,195 posts (soon to be 15,196) - wow!
that is a lot of posting ( and time spent). Geez, at just 1 minute per post,
that's over 253 hours of time here spent just posting. Wonder how much time
spent here just perusing? I understand these dynamics! lol

-M
fanuminski

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Sep 03 2011 2:35am

Z and MXC,

If you're such a tight ass that you mind if Moogie keeps the change then don't donate. Your donations won't cover your insults.

Moogie deserves 100 times what she keeps.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Sat Sep 03 2011 5:01am

Like I said, fine by me. But if you want money for yourself, ask for it. If you want it for hosting, keep it for hosting.

The smoove issue is fine and understandable, I get it; but the point stands that it is morally unacceptable to take money from donations for personal use (this isn't an accusation).

And you say change like it was a few dollars. It was a few hundred. You have a misguided sense, I'm afraid.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Kev » Sat Sep 03 2011 4:11pm

It's your opinion that it is morally unacceptable (and Z's of course, but you know, it's Z). I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. Right now, i'd say you're the one with the misguided sense.
Kev

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Sat Sep 03 2011 4:16pm

Tell me something. You donate $300 to the Red Cross to support victims of a Hurricane. Turns how that the local Red Cross rep pocketed the money and bought an Xbox. Do you think that's alright?

Sure, this isn't Red Cross and we aren't helping Hurricane victims. But donations were still not going where they needed to go. It's a shame, but nothing can be done.

But if you all think that the thought of donations going places they don't belong is morally acceptable, then more power to you.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Kev » Sat Sep 03 2011 5:30pm

As you pointed out, this isn't the Red Cross, and that comparison isn't even remotely close to the situation here.

In this situation, the money has been used to pay for hosting. Anything leftover has ended up with the person who has spent hours of her own time to create a place that a lot of people enjoy to visit, and it doesn't have to cost them a penny. In fairness, 'Hosting Costs' are more than just money. They are time and effort.

To be honest, i'm pretty sure it has been stated before this year that when there's been money left over, that Moogie has gotton herself a little something... And I can't for the life of me understand any sort of logic that says that that isn't fair.
Kev

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Flaming Manakin » Sat Sep 03 2011 5:33pm

Donated a small something ($20). I'm sure you will hit the target easily enough.

I don't wish to wade into the broader debate, but I think that when you donate or give money to a charity or good cause, there is an implicit element of trust that the money will be used wisely. I'm sure the total net cost of the site to Moogie is significantly more than the $360 hosting (even if you only aggregate actual expenditure and don't take into account time) and so if there is some modest excess, then I think that's fine. I'm sure it will be well used.

The Red Cross analogy holds to a point: if I donated money to help feed starving people, and then discovered the money had been spent on an XBox, then certainly that would be unnacceptable because an XBox is a poor way of rectifying humanitarian problems. However, if I found that the money had instead been spent on medicine because the food shortage had been rectified, it would be harsh indeed to complain of moral shortcoming, even though my money had technically not been spent on exactly what I donated for.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Rusty » Sun Sep 04 2011 12:11am

OK, this doesn't need to be a debate. Moogie's already explained where the money went. So move along. And stop it with the insults, guys. Yeesh(a).
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Evil Gately » Tue Sep 06 2011 6:42pm

Sold a few bits on eBay recently to help towards my honeymoon later this year, but the soon-to-be Mrs. Gately & myself thought it would be quite appropriate to donate a small amount towards the SFC fund as there were a couple of Shining items in there!

:thumbsup:
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Darksol @ Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:02 am wrote:You have fallen from the path of righteous drunken adventures and now find yourself seeking cheap thrills at the expense of your pride. Remember, for a drunken adventure to be glorious, it cannot be scripted. And it certainly cannot be sewn.

He's fire and Ice
And Rage
He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun

He's ancient and Forever
He burns at the centre of time
And he can see the turn of the universe

Facebook (tell me who you are if you send a request!)

PSN ID: WingDagger (see above!)
Evil Gately

Agent of Karma
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Sep 07 2011 10:03am

Very much obliged indeed Mr Gately, especially as those funds should have been going towards a lovely honeymoon for you and the almost-Mrs! The big day is really soon now isn't it? Hope all the preps are coming together well and that you both have the most amazingly memorable day :love:
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby AlEcyler » Wed Sep 07 2011 4:27pm

... didn't we go over this before?

The offer still applies.
AlEcyler

Atomic Ninja
Shining Member

Postby Moogie » Wed Sep 07 2011 6:18pm

I'd forgotten about the offer, things have been so busy here. Have messaged you and hope you'll understand - I mean no disrespect or to be ungrateful. It just doesn't feel right somehow.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Wargasm » Wed Sep 07 2011 9:59pm

I'm trying to give you some money, but Paypal is making it very difficult. Well, impossible actually at the moment. Is there another link or something I could use?
Wargasm

Pork Sword
Shining Legend

Postby Mandrew » Thu Sep 08 2011 12:12am

I just threw in some money. Good luck with the fund raising and if there is some left over feel free to use mine for yourself.
You know, you come off to some as well-educated because your grammar and spelling are good

:lol:
You know, you come off to some as well-educated because your grammar and spelling are good

:lol:
Mandrew

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Thu Sep 08 2011 7:48am

There have been a few more donations and we're now at US$340, just $20 off the target :D Thanks guys!

Warg: If you'd like to donate, you can just send money via PayPal to moogie@shiningforcecentral.com along with a note :)

Will shout as soon as we hit the target and update the main SFC news to reflect that - as I've not heard anything back from PayPal about holding money aside in the account >.<;; 24 hour response my arse, it's been over a week now.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to SFC News