Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums SFC News
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SFC Shines on: new site design finally launches!

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderator: SFC News

SFC Shines on: new site design finally launches!

Postby SFC News » Sat Aug 20 2011 6:03pm

Well folks, it's been a very long time coming, but it's here at last - the new, improved SFC!
My free time over the last 4 years hasn't been quite what it used to be, but I've been working hard on SFC's new custom CMS and new site layout on and off for all that time.
I've still a lot of data to add and update, but I decided that the site is now far enough along to launch - otherwise I shall be completely sick of the sight of it before it even goes live on the web ;)
Perhaps not a great deal has changed content-wise, but the new CMS is almost finished and will allow me to set up additional staff members to update the site - hopefully this will mean fresher content and more updates even when I'm not able to do as much here myself as I'd like to.
Here's a quick list of what's new or changed:

News is no longer just for news, but for features in general, allowing staffers to post articles and musings about the series in times of little or no actual Shining news. Got some good ideas for future features already!
The Game Reviews section will soon be accepting submissions from SFCers.
Shining Videos are now hosted on YouTube to save on bandwidth and disk space - this has also allowed me to more easily embed the videos into the pages for a nicer look!
Magazine Articles are now converted into PDFs, meaning no more need to download individual pages.
We've got Polls again, and updated Shining product links/adverts throughout the site.
Shining Studies now includes the SFIII HQ Bookshelves translations as well as the Character Name translations (these were removed from the old site, with plans to add them via the Shining Electronic Encyclopedia ("SEE") which never really got off the ground. We've also got the Shining Races page back which had been lost for the same reason.
Shopping links, Series Introduction & Series Developers pages have been updated.
The Links Directory has been overhauled, making it much more simple for members to suggest new links and report dead ones. Staffers can now easily remove dead links and approve new links. We've also now got a links rating system, so you can vote for your favourite Shining sites and help organise the links by their quality.
Various pages in Site Information have been updated.
Competitions and Greetings cards have been (temporarily?) removed while I consider how important they are for the site and think about rebuilding these areas.
We now have a twitter feed to allow for quick news updates, which are displayed on the main page. I plan to allow other staffers access to this account once I've got the CMS into a sufficiently usable state for them ;)

Please bear with me while I get data added for the newer games in the series and sort out member submissions for Fanart, FAQs etc. I may take the easy option and set up a forum for such submissions rather than setting up submissions via the site & CMS. We'll see what time I have :)
Right, time for me to prep the files and hope all is well with moving this site from its test location... eeek! It's a bit scary going live now, it's been so long in the works. Wish me luck, and let me know if anything's broken *fingers crossed*
SFC News

The SFC Newsbot
Administrator

Re: SFC Shines on: new site design finally launches!

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Mon Aug 22 2011 11:27pm

I quite like the new design, and can tell you've worked hard on it Moogie. I have a few suggestions for improving it though:

1) The homepage is quite busy. So, when the eye looks for what to click on, there is a sense of being overwhelmed. Maybe cut out some of the elements that are unnecessary for the home page, and move them to subpages.

2) The white lines between the different page elements are of different widths. However, it's generally good practice to have these consistent widths.

3) Some of the padding around the text could be a little more even. For example, where you've got:

Game Information
Game Reviews
Production Credits
Storyline Summaries
Screenshots Gallery

...in the top navigation, the gap between Game Information and the top is less than the gap between Screenshots Gallery and the bottom. The same applies to other padding sizes around the site.

Postby Moogie » Tue Aug 23 2011 8:51am

Thanks for pointing out the dividing lines issue - looks like my browser was in compatability mode when I did the homepage, as the spacing is perfect like that, but in normal mode not so much ;)
That said, it was intentional to have a slightly larger gap between the header/footer and the content area.

I'm not seeing the uneven spacing as in your third point though, it's a 10px gap top and bottom for me.

As for the homepage being busy, I think it's a case of getting familiar with it. Everything that is there is stuff I felt was needed on the initial page of the site, though I guess I could leave out the mini icons for the news articles (which will be a bit more graphical as news gets added - all the old articles have been assigned default pictures for now, but when the latest article filters down to the next slot, its banner will be shrunk down next to it.)
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Tue Aug 23 2011 10:53am

Moogie wrote:Thanks for pointing out the dividing lines issue - looks like my browser was in compatability mode when I did the homepage, as the spacing is perfect like that, but in normal mode not so much ;)

Glad to help. :)

Moogie wrote:I'm not seeing the uneven spacing as in your third point though, it's a 10px gap top and bottom for me.

I use Chrome (Mac), and it's noticeable in that browser at least. I've attached a screenshot for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Moogie » Tue Aug 23 2011 11:38am

Sorry mate, can't help ya there - I don't use Macs. The spacing looks fine in PC Chrome, Firefox & IE.
I see the news pics don't line up properly for you either, will get that bit fixed at least.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Alpha » Tue Aug 23 2011 5:15pm

I'm on Chrome mac, and I'm not getting that spacing issue. Just tested it in FF, Safari and Opera too, all look good on my iMac.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Tue Aug 23 2011 5:16pm

Thanks Alpha, glad to know it may not be a major issue!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Alpha » Tue Aug 23 2011 5:29pm

No worries :) One advantage of having my classes in a room full of 27" screen iMacs ;)
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Tue Aug 23 2011 11:17pm

Alpha wrote:I'm on Chrome mac, and I'm not getting that spacing issue. Just tested it in FF, Safari and Opera too, all look good on my iMac.

Does it look different than in the screenshot I posted? It may come down to what we define as an "issue"... admittedly, the difference isn't great.

Edit: One other (minor) issue I noticed was the appearance of a small scrollbar in the bottom list of games next to Resurrection of the Dark Dragon. Should it have three dots after it like the Shining Force III scenarios? I've attached a screenshot for reference:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 24 2011 12:11am

Solo Wing Dragon wrote:Does it look different than in the screenshot I posted? It may come down to what we define as an "issue"... admittedly, the difference isn't great.

It does look different - as I said, there's no spacing issue like what you posted. They all looked exactly how they look on my Chrome for PC, here on my laptop.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Wed Aug 24 2011 4:30am

Alpha wrote:It does look different - as I said, there's no spacing issue like what you posted. They all looked exactly how they look on my Chrome for PC, here on my laptop.

Weird. Maybe you're using a different version of Chrome? I'm using Chrome 13.0.782.215, which is the latest version.

Postby Moogie » Wed Aug 24 2011 10:23am

What odd little scrollbars. Will look into that, I probably need to set the overflow to hidden or something.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Seijuro Hiko » Sun Aug 28 2011 2:07am

I just wanted to come here and say, what a fantastic job you have done Moogie!
I can´t even imagine how many days and days of hard work ii must have taken, for you get such a nice, cool organized website.

Excellent work indeed... and I´m sure every Shining fan always appreciate your effort to keep the franchise's flame alive :)

Thank you Moogie! ;)
Seijuro Hiko

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to SFC News