Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums SFC News
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

NEW HOST NEEDED, PLEASE HELP!

SFC News

The latest news from SFC is posted here, where you can discuss it.

Moderator: SFC News

NEW HOST NEEDED, PLEASE HELP!

Postby Moogie » Fri Jul 17 2009 9:40am

News from: http://www.shiningforcecentral.com

SFC News: NEW HOST NEEDED, PLEASE HELP!

It's not often you'll find me SHOUTING online, but this time I really feel I need to!

In case it wasn't already apparent, SFC needs a new host. SmooveNET, the current host, has been rather lacking in it's support department (weeks to respond, if at all; regular downtime...) for the last year and I've had enough. Others are jumping ship too.

The question is, where can SFC go where it will be welcome?[/b] Fansites in general can struggle to find decent hosts because of the amount of content which is of questionable legality due to copyright. The very nature of a fansite is to include materials about someone else's products, be it a videogame, movie or TV series.

SFC hosts a great many images, magazine scans, screenshots and game scripts, not to mention the hosting of patch files[/b] for the game ROMs and ISOs (though I must point out I do not host any ROMs or ISOs here, nor will I as long as they are so blatantly illegal). I do however include links to MP3 files on other servers. A great many hosts seem to even frown on this, classing it as the 'facilitating of copyright infringement'. How a host can complain about what a website owner links to is beyond me!

So, who'd have us with content like that? I can't get permission from the companies involved (ie, Sega, Nintendo, Camelot etc) although they have on several occasions complimented the site, offered news exclusives and donated prizes. If that doesn't ring of some kind of approval I don't know what does.

I don't want to move the site only to find it getting shut down because of the content.

Similarly I'm very cautious about hosts who offer 'unlimited' bandwidth and disk space. Usually they have some kind of fair usage policy and can still shut a site down if they feel the use is excessive. How is this 'unlimited'?! So, I'd prefer a host which is up front about the usage figures.

Of those few hosts who seem to genuinely allow large volumes of traffic, most seem to have some kind of limit on the amount of files that can be hosted. While I don't see SFC hitting these limits, I prefer not to have them in place if they're going to seem like low numbers - 50,000 or so - especially when each email received on the domain counts towards the file limit.

I've only got about a month in which to find a new host. So far it's proving quite tricky. I've been recommended the likes of Bluehost, 1&1, Pinchhost and HostGator. Most of these seem not to be ideal for the site's needs. DreamHost looks ok, but still has rules on copyright issues and linking to such content.

I'm not looking for free hosting. Not even for dead cheap hosting. I'd happily take on a VPS or similar if it fell within budget.

So, here's what SFC needs - can you recommend a host or do you know someone who could offer this kind of hosting?

- US or UK based server

- at least 2.5GB of space (more preferable)

- at least 50GB bandwidth per month (200GB+ preferable)

- php, mysql (probably 10 databases or so would do - no size limit please)

- subdomains (at least 5)

- fairly relaxed rules on content

- fast tech support, reliable server

- monthly cost of US$30 per month at most

Or should I just give up and stick with Smoove? >.<;;

Tasukete!!
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Re: NEW HOST NEEDED, PLEASE HELP!

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Jul 17 2009 11:16am

I use Dreamhost.

It's good enough for smaller sites but the strain of shared server resources occasionally causes brutal lag. For something the size of SFC you'd probably want to go with their dedicated server options. In general, I've found that they are the most responsive and friendly host I've had. At the same time they don't want legal trouble and I've heard that they are quite reactive to this sort of issue. They do approach the webmaster before taking action but they don't negotiate.

All that to say, I don't think that Dreamhost would be the best choice for SFC. :( Best of luck.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Fri Jul 17 2009 11:47am

They were certainly very fast in their response, but indeed the legal issues could make it difficult :(

Am looking at Birhira again and have made some enquiries of them. Seems they're pretty good for fansites - though I'm not keen on seeing this part of their ToS:

Refund and Disputes:
All payments to Bihira, L.L.C. are nonrefundable. This includes the one time setup fee and subsequent charges regardless of usage. All overcharges or billing disputes must be reported within 30 days of the time the dispute occurred. If you dispute a charge to your credit card issuer that, in Bihira, L.L.C. sole discretion is a valid charge under the provisions of the TOS, you agree to pay Bihira, L.L.C. an "Administrative Fee" of not less than $50 and not more than $500.

But I guess they won't do a runner with my money like Practical Hosting did some years back >.<;;
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Rusty » Fri Jul 17 2009 7:31pm

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/

Unfortunately, this one has a MySQL limit, but you might want to check out the $8.95/month business plan. (The limit is 50 in that one)

I'm not sure how lax the place is on sites, but as far as everything else, I've heard very good things about this one.
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Sat Jul 18 2009 11:48am

Thanks Rusty - unfortunately it says in their ToS that they can remove a site and give no refund if it's found to be providing or even linking to MP3s etc.

Bihira have replied to me and all looks good with them. Few more questions to ask and they could turn out to be the ones!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby aetherspoon » Wed Jul 22 2009 2:25pm

Glad to hear my recommendation was not in vain. :)
aetherspoon, master of Junk Computers!
aetherspoon, master of Junk Computers!
aetherspoon

Postby Tonberry2k » Wed Jul 22 2009 8:17pm

Hi, some of you may know me from the Spriters' Resource or other places around the internet. I was just talking to fellow staff member Dazz about your looking for a new host. He had this to say;

I'm a huge supporter of sites like theirs, and I feel that the site should be seen in the highest regard.

He'd be happy to discuss hosting with you. We own our own server, and the list you had on your site sounds like a fine list of requirements. Just email him at dazz@spriters-resource.com
Tonberry2k

Postby Okami » Thu Jul 23 2009 1:37am

I know im still new around these parts but I have a good friend who said he will take a look at the needs of the site and he may be able to get you what you need Moogie.
Okami

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dazz » Thu Jul 23 2009 6:47pm

Dazz here, just to say that yeah, we're happy to host you.
We've already set up a plan for you with 50gb space, 500gb bandwidth, infinite everything else you requested.
Since we own the server, we can basically host whatever we want (though of course I don't want to host totally illegal things, this site really is not illegal)

We can move everything across for you using shell commands if you want too, to make it easier for you and have a lot less work.
You have two choices though;

Your own FreeBSD jail with root, can install whatever you want. Downside being no web control panel for things like adding ftp accounts, email accounts, sub domains etc. (but can install phpMyAdmin for database config), command line only.

or

cPanel hosting, shell access, no root access (ie: regular shared hosting), standard php + mysql stuff obviously already installed.

From those requirements, I think you'll want the second, as it's easier to use without knowing all of the technical server-side command line stuff for making changes to your account.
First one is a bit more for power users who do technical bits.
:)
:)
Dazz

Postby Ghaladen » Thu Aug 06 2009 2:53pm

I'm actually more partial to Cloud Services these days, because you get more control of your site or online app. I use Google App Engine, because I develop AJAX sites with Google Web Toolkit, but since this site is PHP, a good choice would be Aptana Cloud.

Aptana Cloud

For $20/month, you get 5GB of storage and I believe 10TB of traffic. Plus if you use Aptana Studio as an IDE (free), you can instantly deploy code (no messing with FTP) and have production and staging environments. Plus they have a 7 day trial to decide if you like it or not.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Ghaladen

Postby Moogie » Thu Aug 06 2009 7:05pm

Ghaladen @ Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 pm) wrote: I'm actually more partial to Cloud Services these days, because you get more control of your site or online app. I use Google App Engine, because I develop AJAX sites with Google Web Toolkit, but since this site is PHP, a good choice would be Aptana Cloud.

Aptana Cloud

For $20/month, you get 5GB of storage and I believe 10TB of traffic. Plus if you use Aptana Studio as an IDE (free), you can instantly deploy code (no messing with FTP) and have production and staging environments. Plus they have a 7 day trial to decide if you like it or not.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Think I'll have to try out the free version if it doesn't require any payment details etc - it looks a bit more complex than I'm used to for standard web hosting!

rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Sat Aug 08 2009 8:19am

Hi Moogie, I've used Dreamhost to host my Panzer Dragoon fansite, The Will of the Ancients, for a number of years.

http://www.thewilloftheancients.com/

It also hosts a number of files that may be considered questionable, e.g. game trailers, fan music videos, text from the games etc. No ROMs/ISOs though. So far I haven't run into any problems, although that may simply be because the site is too small to be of concern. I think linking to MP3s should be okay (I couldn't find anything against this in Dreamhost's Terms of Service).

I've had no major problems with Dreamhost's service, and can recommend it. Any questions about them, just ask.

Whatever you decide, keep up the good work with Shining Force Central. :)

Postby Kaihaku » Sat Aug 08 2009 10:24am

It may be that dreamhost doesn't take action unless they receive a complaint. Given SFC's past good relationship with them maybe that's not a danger?
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Krymzon » Wed Aug 19 2009 1:51am

http://www.a-listproductions.net/services.html

http://www.a-listproductions.net/shop.html

My buddy owns that website. I really don't see legal issues being a problem with this guy, but you might want to research it some more.

AND

It is only $12 a year

So, maybe worth checking out :)
Krymzon

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Fri Oct 30 2009 10:00am

What webhost did you end up going with, Moogie?

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 30 2009 1:48pm

From here: http://www.bihira.com/wordpress/

Moogie went for one of the Reseller packages. I was impressed with the price and storage amounts, so switched to them too.
Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Mr.Runefaust101 » Sat Oct 31 2009 1:29pm

Hav u tried Bravehost? I think it's about $12 a month for premium and that let's you have 20GB and I think the free ones have 3-4GB maximum. It also comes with a ton of tools and is easy to use. I feel like a door to door sales man right now...

Postby Rusty » Sat Oct 31 2009 4:04pm

Um, the lowest package at Bihira is like 25GB. For $5 a month (or cheaper if you pay the full year/two-years upfront). Which is less than half of what Bravehost charges their Premium package, which gives just 5 GB more (and likely less bandwidth). Maybe I'm missing something here but I do not see how Bravehost is a good deal. At all.
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Solo Wing Dragon » Fri Nov 06 2009 10:30am

Alpha @ Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:48 pm) wrote: From here: http://www.bihira.com/wordpress/

Moogie went for one of the Reseller packages. I was impressed with the price and storage amounts, so switched to them too.

Not bad. I've heard of Bihira before; they sound like a good host for PHP deployment.

Return to SFC News