Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Neo
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How will NEO be remembered

in five years time?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Re: How will NEO be remembered

Postby shining cupido » Mon Dec 28 2009 3:14am

I had a lotta fun with this game My fav playable characters are Baron and Chiquitita. I dont know why this game gets so much hate. It has good graphics and great gameplay with just the right level of difficulty.

Postby Dr. Casey » Fri Jan 01 2010 8:05am

New Sonic games are better than the older ones.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby thepeaguy » Fri Jan 01 2010 2:20pm

Dr. Casey @ Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 am) wrote: New Sonic games are better than the older ones.

XD
PSN ID: thepeaguy
PSN ID: thepeaguy
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Devonathan » Wed Feb 02 2011 2:32am

I personally loved this game. I'm a fan of hack and slash games and this game held up to my expectations. I loved the different party members and like that the game encouraged the use of all the characters.

The biggest downfall about this game is that it is called "Shining Force". As such, Neo will end up being a blight in the series because it strays so far from the original games.
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Alones » Sun Feb 06 2011 6:19am

"That Shining Force that isn't a strategy game."

EXA too will be remembered that way.
Alones

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShiningForceKaya » Wed Feb 16 2011 2:37am

I played it and found it quite fun. I have played one and two which were fun, but I have to say, the locations were more fun to play through and I had so much more fun training. I love the Ruins of oblivion and wish it actually existed. I think the character designs were lacking much, but overall, a fun game. I had the choice of playing Kingdom hearts( don't kill me for saying this please) and this, and I had WAY more fun with this. That is saying a lot. If you are a old fan, please don't slam me, I am just putting it out there because all you ninnies won't say it. I loved it! The first game is my favorite and always will be forever, but sometimes it is great to try something new and enjoy playing a shining force game for once. ( training in the first two games is a long, tedious, and often BORING thing to do, fun but BORING) Try playing it you might find you like it! I hope that it will live on and be somewhat recognized by fans as a good, fun, new style of shining game that is actually good. lets just admit it, if they were all the same, you wouldn't have a game to hate, or a new way of seeing life.
Verily I say unto you all:Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations;
D&C 115:5

Check out the Shining force group on DA: http://legacyofshiningforce.deviantart.com/
Verily I say unto you all:Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations;
D&C 115:5

Check out the Shining force group on DA: http://legacyofshiningforce.deviantart.com/

Postby Crystalgate » Mon Feb 21 2011 5:36pm

The topic was poster 2007 and it's 2011 now. We're close to the 5 years.

Anyway, I think the answer is obvious. In this community, it's mostly remembered with bitterness. Some here do like the game, but it seems like they are outnumbered by those who don't, so the overall opinion is negative.

Outside this community, the game is barely remembered at all. Nobody seems to talk about it. For example, go to the Shining Force Neo board at GameFAQs and compare the activity there with the Shining Force II board. I have been on other RPG based boards as well and I haven't heard anything about Neo in any of those either.

I don't see this changing much for the next year. Add ten or twenty of years, and the only change I can see is that this game becomes less remembered since that's usually the way a game goes.
Crystalgate

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Feb 22 2011 3:41am

It's true that it's scarcely talked about outside the Shining community, but I wouldn't say that's the same thing as not being remembered. Bring up the Shining series on a non-Shining forum and Neo will usually be mentioned by several people. People remember the game; they just don't feel strongly enough about it to want to discuss it of itself. ...That's my guess, anyway.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby kiwi1202935 » Sat Mar 05 2011 8:06pm

I liked the game myself, but completely agree on the bad voice acting, and the gameplay is nothing like the Srpg Shining Force. It sort of reminds me of what Squaresoft did with FF7(which I think is a great game.), then following it with FF8. Don't get me wrong I thought FF8 was pretty good, but it has a completely different feel than FF7. I think I was pretty glad to hear that SF Neo wasn't made by Camelot, it should have been a shining wisdom sequal or something, not a Shining Force. The game was pretty cool, It has some really cool weapons for your chacter, so other than the annoyances, I thought the game was pretty good. I never beat the game but I got pretty far. After a while the gameplay got a little old to me. So if you have high expectations for the game, (like I did.) or thinking it's going to be a direct sequal to Shining Force, it may lead to dissappointment.
kiwi1202935

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sbloom85 » Mon Apr 04 2011 4:41pm

I played about forty-some hours and enjoyed parts of the game, but after a while it got pretty tedious as all hack and slash games generally do. What I liked most was the array of weapons you could use and the spells that were associated with what weapon; what I didn't like, however, were the maps, the voice acting, and the cut-scenes.
sbloom85

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby kiwi1202935 » Tue Apr 05 2011 10:45pm

The scythe that heals you when you attack was pretty cool!
kiwi1202935

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Apr 27 2011 10:30pm

I remember Neo as a game that had great potential. It did a wonderful job at making an engaging hack and slash game, doing a much better job in my opinion at making the core gameplay fun versus others like it such as Diablo and Record of Lodoss War. However, the game was ruined by faulty design choices, some of which being contradictory to how the game encourages you to play.

The inability to customize your party members makes your allies feel lacking. Customizing Max with various equipment and ability choices was a lot of fun. Not being able to do the same with allies made them feel too generic and dull. Not to say I have a problem with games that have generic characters of that nature. It only feels lacking because of all you can do with Max.

Magic becomes pretty much worthless because the 'slayer' abilties don't increase their damage output. This was an incredibly lousy decision because the game is advertised as granting you the ability to develop Max into whatever kind of character you desire, but in the long run can't really make him a magic user because of the unfathomably low damage output magic has versus physical attacks. Yes, magic should be weaker to compensate for its special traits such as striking large groups of enemies, but being that much weaker just makes any advantage they have not worth it much later in the game. These damage details are based on what a friend told me, because I never got far enough into the game to have magic fall that far behind.

I also hated the drastic difficulty spikes that were so constant throughout the game. You couldn't just play through the game at a reasonable pace. It felt like every time you cleared a dungeon, you would have to level in order to stand a chance in the next area. And even that didn't remain consistant, for the spikes would become more and more drastic with every new area.

This part is coming from me being a long time 'Shining Force' player, but I also hate the title. It made the game initially misleading when announced to anybody who was familiar with the franchise. I got so psyched about it when I read they were making a new 'Shining Force' game, only to have the new game in my beloved series be something completely different. Even though the title was worked into the story, I've always felt they should have just used a different title for the game, and thus changed such associated story terms. It's not like the series is 'Shining Force', it's just 'Shining'. 'Force' should be strictly used for the tactical RPGs in the series, since that's what had before been established.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Thu Apr 28 2011 12:00am

I think the general agreement is that Neo's a decent game, it just shouldn't be called Shining Force
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Jul 01 2011 5:01pm

Shining Diablo Neo might have been a better title.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to Shining Force Neo