How will NEO be remembered

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 2:34am
by Goonboy of Shining Camelot
How will ShF NEO be remembered as a game by fans in this community? As a set back to the franchise or a necessarly step that paved the way to a STRPG version(In order to bring in new users to the SHINING FORCE universe)

Will time/history be kind to this title?

Re: How will NEO be remembered

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 2:41am
by Tarethen
Seeing as how 97% of the population here hates the game (of which only 40% of those 97% have played/beaten it), then one can safely say that it was the "ultimate destruction of the beloved Camelot Shining series. The series is dead, thanks to Sega."

On the other hand, for those outside of this website, it is the exact opposite. Neo was recieved fairly well to newer people, and even some older fans of the Shining series.

If one were to simply look away from this website at the rest of the world, then they'd see Neo wasn't some disasterous flop. It wasn't a best seller, but it wasn't a total bust.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 3:01am
by Marky
How will Shining Force Neo be remembered in 5 years? I hope to forget the game's existence by then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 3:15am
by Tarethen
Goonboy, out of curiosity, what are your stances on Neo and now Exa? I've seen you make a ton of topics concerning Neo and the current state of the Shining series, but I'm not sure if I completely caught your opinion of the matter. By your topics, it appears as if you don't hate the games, but I can't be certain. Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 3:35am
by Demonic Weasel
I think it'll just become a lost title of sorts. No especial publicity, those who enjoyed will remember it, those who hated it with a seething passion will remember it, and everyone else probably won't have a great deal to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 8:00pm
by AlphaShiningFan
Played it, never did beat it, it sits on my shelf gathering dust and I would sell it but it isn't worth enough to matter, so there it sits. I'm a more open-minded old time Shining gamer and I didn't mind the change of play format as much (action rpg from TBS, though I do prefer the old TBS format), but the game was so poor and, well, there were tons of problems with it which I know I have mentioned before, but it is simply forgetable for me. I can't hate it, I can't love it, I just nothing it - it might be okay for the occassional hack-n-slash, but its fun wears off fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09 2007 8:04pm
by General Elliot
I am obsessed wit the Shining Series....I played this game for 30 minutes....hate it...

I will remember it....but for all the wrong reasons..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10 2007 12:51pm
by Goonboy of Shining Camelot
Tarethen @ Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:15 am) wrote: Goonboy, out of curiosity, what are your stances on Neo and now Exa? I've seen you make a ton of topics concerning Neo and the current state of the Shining series, but I'm not sure if I completely caught your opinion of the matter. By your topics, it appears as if you don't hate the games, but I can't be certain. Care to elaborate?

My opinions on the direction that the SHINING FORCE series has taken is well documented on this site. Saying that I played Neo and i intially hated it but played it again and it grew on me. Its alright for what it is. I'm just taking a more relaxed view of the game because though its not what i wanted it isn't ShF4. If it was i would say that would be the end but because Sega seems relunctant to carry on a real sequel to the series without the original creators kinda indicates that there is some hope. i always thought of this series as Sega's unintended answer to Dragon Quest anyhow and while that series is growing strong too many sequels water the juice which is what i feel is happening to DQ but not as bad as it happened to FF. Its better what Sega is doing with the series now because they won't rush and make a ShF4 or 5 for money sake. I gladly take five ShF NEOs then have a bad ShF sequel.
The lucky thing for Sega was that the series was a combination of spin off games in the first party era so they can kind of getaway with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 6:13am
by Geoffrey Duke
It will be remembered as the game that redefined, and thus, killed Shining Force.

The end.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 2:50pm
by Marky
Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 am) wrote: It will be remembered as the game that redefined, and thus, killed Shining Force.

The end.

No, no. It's just better to forget it ever existed. The owner of this server should ban all discussion about SFN, to further "forget" that this game ever existed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 5:32pm
by Tarethen
Marky @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:50 am) wrote: No, no. It's just better to forget it ever existed. The owner of this server should ban all discussion about SFN, to further "forget" that this game ever existed.

I said this statement back in September when G. Duke made his silly topic, and I shall post the statement again:

"If Moogie felt that the forums did not need this particular category, I think she would have long since removed it if she saw fit. "

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2007 6:13pm
by Geoffrey Duke
I don't think my good old friend Moogie even cares anymore.

What was once a well-spring of hope has been totally sucked dry. That sums up most of us though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13 2007 2:17am
by Marky
Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 pm) wrote: I don't think my good old friend Moogie even cares anymore.

What was once a well-spring of hope has been totally sucked dry. That sums up most of us though.

I second that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14 2007 1:08pm
by Flaming Manakin
Interesting topic!

I think it depends on what happens from now with Shining Force. All things in History are are remembered differently depending on (often unrelated) things that happen afterwards.

So if there is never another SRPG SF, Neo will be seen as the game which killed SF as we know it (despite the fact Shining Tears was before it!)

If there is an other SRPG that dosen't satisfy the fans Neo will still be seen as the sullier of the series

However, if there IS another SRPG that delivers Neo will become a footnote and be much less well remembered, and much less hated.

One thing I do think about Neo is that it will be remembered as a VULGAR game where The Force became a star wars type energy force and a single warrior could be descrivbed as 'a force'. This is llike replacing the tardis with a flying outhouse!

So overall, NEO will probably be the scapegoat for the end of a great series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18 2007 5:27pm
by daotao
I don't think it's the end just yet...they'll probably re-release some of the old ones. And they'll probably make a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28 2007 7:45am
by sonic slicer
It'll probaly be remebered as the game with the most mixed feelings.

If the game didn't have the "shining force" name, tried to use the whole Max/Cain/Adam thing bad voices, and didn't mess up some of the speicies (birdlings).....the game would of done much better.

But enough of the bad talk........I did enjoy the game (still not shining force, but i enjoyed it), interesting storyline, and somewhat of some funny moments in there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2007 2:09pm
by ShiningLover
And i thought that shining force neo was loved by all of you :lol: :lol:
Dont get me wrong. Im usually in shining force 3 forums, and today is the first day in here. I bought shining force neo a few days ago and should arrive in any minute, and cant wait to play it. (you can kill me after i played the game ok?) :lol: :lol:
I guess we just should open our minds to the series. But hey, cheer up, my dream is to make a shining force game in its classic and so "loved by you and me too" tactical way, i still dont understand nothing of game programming but im gonna try real hard. Nobody is gonna die without playing first one last REAL shining force adventure. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 2007 8:45pm
by Silverwolf X
Neo will be remembered as a joke of a game. NEO would soon be recycled into a better game called EXA, which the Japanese prefer over NEO and are trying thier best to forget that NEO ever existed, even though EXA reuses alot of NEO's graphics and map sets. But who cares, to them, NEO never existed to begin with.

:p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 2007 9:45pm
by Tarethen
^ Personal opinion, or things you've heard? =P I'm interested to know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2007 5:39am
by Silverwolf X
If you can, you should read the Jap reviews of EXA. More then half of them bash NEO at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14 2007 3:05pm
by ShiningLover
HI. Shining force neo arrived to me, the same day i made my last post here, and guess what: I quit the game the next day. All those long and boring dialogues are really annoying, the game system is boring as well. Only the musics are great. And the story as nothing to do with the shining series. "I want to be a Force??!" Now what the heck is this? Shining force is about Inovators and Vandals.
This game is just an RPG with the name shining force, and that's it. Nothing more.What a shame. I dont understand why this game is in shining force central.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14 2007 3:36pm
by Tarethen
ShiningLover @ Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:05 am) wrote: HI. Shining force neo arrived to me, the same day i made my last post here, and guess what: I quit the game the next day. All those long and boring dialogues are really annoying, the game system is boring as well. Only the musics are great. And the story as nothing to do with the shining series. "I want to be a Force??!" Now what the heck is this? Shining force is about Inovators and Vandals.
This game is just an RPG with the name shining force, and that's it. Nothing more.What a shame. I dont understand why this game is in shining force central.

Shining Force 3 deals with Vandals and Innovators. If you play more than a few seconds of SFN, you'll see that the story follows the pattern exhibited by Shining Force 1. Things are substantially different, but analyzing closely leads to some shocking similarities.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14 2007 4:19pm
by Sailorcancer
Well I've had the game for a year, and was SO CLOSE to beating it, but the data got corrupted and I had to start ALL OVER AGAIN!

But as far as it being remember, it most likely be one of those games that got released, but no one really pays attention to.

But it will most likely be remembered. Because its a shining title so it will be associated with the series, so if someone looks into the shining series they'll see it.

Than again there really aren't any young people getting in to it =/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14 2007 5:42pm
by ShiningLover
I guess the game got so popular cause its name is SHINING and also because of SHINING FORCE CENTRAL.

My honest opinion is that this game is boring. I dont mind its an action RPG instead of tactical like shining force 3, but those dialogues are just annoying. I thought i was gonna see vandals,etc. Well, i only played till that part where Max and Meryl find a little girl with a dog face :) :) :) in the snow, i think she's called Chiquitita. I stop and defeated the invasion from Legion to chiquitita's town, but then, after this, i just stopped.
I think im gonna buy shining tears. I hope this one's better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 2007 11:53am
by Flaming Manakin
Rremeber, we are talking about how History will judge it, not so much what people think of it now.

I thnk that it is destined to be remembered for the wrong reasons, although the fact that EXA has appeared and he Neo mould is continuing, may mean that a new genre of Shining Force is established and it is that whole genre which will be compared to the SRPG genre.

And I think that that will go down as the time when a distinct and original series became assimilated into a mushy middle ground of generic reasonable quality games and lost the previous distinctiveness and originallity that made it stand out from the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 2007 9:15pm
by Chaos Wizard
I think it will be remembered in a negative light by purist die-hard shining force fans. But I think it will be remembered as a fun game, and a beautiful one at that by others who may have picked up the title.

Although it wasn't a Strat RPG like we all wanted. I thought it was a very enjoyable game. An alternate universe to Shining Force. It put an interesting twist on the series. I don't think it's the death of the series at all, I think it's just a new direction like it or not.

Here I think the majority will continue to talk shit about it until they roll over into their graves. In some respects I like it more then EXA and in some respects I think EXA is a superior game. Both games storylines differ from each other and the now classic series, but are both enjoyable. That's the way I think most people will remember either one of those games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 2007 7:26am
by Geoffrey Duke
No one will remember this worthless pile of excrement in 10 years' time. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 2007 7:39am
by Chaos Wizard
I doubt 90% of the people that play the games are even 2% as extreme as you are on the shining series, or most anything. But I suppose that is a possibilty.

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2007 9:18pm
by TKTOWA
Neo will be remembered as "that game with the cry-baby, and no, not FF10".

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2007 2:48pm
by Kaihaku
The "How" should be struck from the title of this thread.

Yet, it will be remembered, if only because of this sub-forum. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15 2009 7:04am
by Dr. Casey
It won't be too long until it will have been five years since its Japanese release date (March 24th 2005). I don't think the general consensus will change very much in a year's time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 2009 12:10pm
by Silverwolf X
I'll forever remember it as the game that, if it hadn't existed, EXA would have been awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 2009 12:14am
by Martin III
Dr. Casey @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:04 am) wrote: It won't be too long until it will have been five years since its Japanese release date (March 24th 2005). I don't think the general consensus will change very much in a year's time.

He wasn't asking about five years after its Japanese release date. And January 2012 is still a long way off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 2009 11:21am
by Dr. Casey
Yeah, I just ignored the real meaning because I'm impatient and wanted to post that. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25 2009 2:44pm
by percy_hutchins4
wow I hope that it is remembered as a really great RPG. cause thats what it has been for me. I hesitated to by it for 60 bucka for well over a year, found it in a pawn shop not to long ago an Ive been at it in my spare time since. the game is great. yea I miss the old turn base style, but this game still kicks ass. I will buy exa after I beat this one. Hopefully in the future well get a turnbased SF but untill then I have the game gladius so all is not lost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27 2009 4:57am
by TKTOWA
I liked it. I don't normally like hack/slash of any type, but this game was fun because:
A) It's easy(which is a nice break sometimes)
B) There's lots of stuff to do(if you're crazy about maxing out stuff)
C) The voice acting sounds awkward at times, offering a good chuckle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28 2009 5:35am
by Meldebious
I thought it was fun to play (and yes I beat it), but only when the only other fun thing I could think of was to beat my self in the face repeaditly. But yeah....

But no really, it was fun. I enjoyed it because I could just chill back and kill stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28 2009 10:30am
by swordandshield
It was fun for me, all the ridicule towards it is only because it isn't like the Sega platform games, which I find to be pretty silly reasons because games can't stay the same forever and Sega only wanted to add fresh new elements to it. I kind of liked the change from an SRPG to a hack n' slash. It was refreshing, fun, and it reminded me of Diablo II in a way and it even brought back some nostalgia even though I still have the game and can play it if the mood arises. It isn't perfect and that needs no declaration but it excelled in it's own way for a game that continues to bring life to a long legacy of the Shining series.

It could just be the fact that I like the Diablo II feel to it and that I can easily get into hack n' slash games but I don't think that's the case because it felt much different. It felt like a Shining Force game just not with the strategic feel and no turn based battles but you still actually needed to resort to tactics, those legion hives were no joke and tactics was an absolute must for the Y-Arm one, the Arc Dragon could destroy you if you simply strolled on in expecting to beat it with ease.

The OST is another thing that I liked in the game especially the Ice Cavern theme, Cantore Village and Dark Castle and most of the others, like the battle themes.

Also who cares about the voice acting you could turn it off and just read the text. It wasn't that bad, it wasn't anything like some of the old chinese kung fu movies I've seen so it was tolerable in that aspect and pretty funny to listen to.

The game had a lot to do in it and a lot of different ways to customize your characters and make them truly unique for your specific taste and very versatile with switching Max between mage and warrior depending on what was being fought.

It was just fun, the plot was somewhat interesting and the story with Vandolf was engaging and easy to understand. I only wish you could have actually fought the Dark Dragon at the end which was one of my biggest pet peeves but Vandolf made for an interesting final boss. I personally think it should be remembered as a good game, not one that isn't good only because it isn't like the older ones but to each his own ofcourse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 2009 10:51pm
by ExevaloN
I second what Chaos Wizard says. I think it all depends on whether you liked the new formula or not.

When I played the game, I enjoyed it becuase it was something new and different. And although the repetitiveness tends to wear one down, I didn't think the game was bad.

Now could it have been better? O yes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10 2009 7:58pm
by thepeaguy
I don't care for the new Shining games the same as I do with Sonic on contemporary gaming formats. I do feel, however, that this site needs to cover more on the new Shining games to give these fans a place here.

Moogie doesn't have to do it. Somebody who'll volunteer perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 2009 3:14am
by shining cupido
I had a lotta fun with this game My fav playable characters are Baron and Chiquitita. I dont know why this game gets so much hate. It has good graphics and great gameplay with just the right level of difficulty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 2010 8:05am
by Dr. Casey
New Sonic games are better than the older ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 2010 2:20pm
by thepeaguy
Dr. Casey @ Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 am) wrote: New Sonic games are better than the older ones.

XD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02 2011 2:32am
by Devonathan
I personally loved this game. I'm a fan of hack and slash games and this game held up to my expectations. I loved the different party members and like that the game encouraged the use of all the characters.

The biggest downfall about this game is that it is called "Shining Force". As such, Neo will end up being a blight in the series because it strays so far from the original games.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 2011 6:19am
by Alones
"That Shining Force that isn't a strategy game."

EXA too will be remembered that way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 2011 2:37am
by ShiningForceKaya
I played it and found it quite fun. I have played one and two which were fun, but I have to say, the locations were more fun to play through and I had so much more fun training. I love the Ruins of oblivion and wish it actually existed. I think the character designs were lacking much, but overall, a fun game. I had the choice of playing Kingdom hearts( don't kill me for saying this please) and this, and I had WAY more fun with this. That is saying a lot. If you are a old fan, please don't slam me, I am just putting it out there because all you ninnies won't say it. I loved it! The first game is my favorite and always will be forever, but sometimes it is great to try something new and enjoy playing a shining force game for once. ( training in the first two games is a long, tedious, and often BORING thing to do, fun but BORING) Try playing it you might find you like it! I hope that it will live on and be somewhat recognized by fans as a good, fun, new style of shining game that is actually good. lets just admit it, if they were all the same, you wouldn't have a game to hate, or a new way of seeing life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21 2011 5:36pm
by Crystalgate
The topic was poster 2007 and it's 2011 now. We're close to the 5 years.

Anyway, I think the answer is obvious. In this community, it's mostly remembered with bitterness. Some here do like the game, but it seems like they are outnumbered by those who don't, so the overall opinion is negative.

Outside this community, the game is barely remembered at all. Nobody seems to talk about it. For example, go to the Shining Force Neo board at GameFAQs and compare the activity there with the Shining Force II board. I have been on other RPG based boards as well and I haven't heard anything about Neo in any of those either.

I don't see this changing much for the next year. Add ten or twenty of years, and the only change I can see is that this game becomes less remembered since that's usually the way a game goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 2011 3:41am
by Martin III
It's true that it's scarcely talked about outside the Shining community, but I wouldn't say that's the same thing as not being remembered. Bring up the Shining series on a non-Shining forum and Neo will usually be mentioned by several people. People remember the game; they just don't feel strongly enough about it to want to discuss it of itself. ...That's my guess, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05 2011 8:06pm
by kiwi1202935
I liked the game myself, but completely agree on the bad voice acting, and the gameplay is nothing like the Srpg Shining Force. It sort of reminds me of what Squaresoft did with FF7(which I think is a great game.), then following it with FF8. Don't get me wrong I thought FF8 was pretty good, but it has a completely different feel than FF7. I think I was pretty glad to hear that SF Neo wasn't made by Camelot, it should have been a shining wisdom sequal or something, not a Shining Force. The game was pretty cool, It has some really cool weapons for your chacter, so other than the annoyances, I thought the game was pretty good. I never beat the game but I got pretty far. After a while the gameplay got a little old to me. So if you have high expectations for the game, (like I did.) or thinking it's going to be a direct sequal to Shining Force, it may lead to dissappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 2011 4:41pm
by sbloom85
I played about forty-some hours and enjoyed parts of the game, but after a while it got pretty tedious as all hack and slash games generally do. What I liked most was the array of weapons you could use and the spells that were associated with what weapon; what I didn't like, however, were the maps, the voice acting, and the cut-scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 2011 10:45pm
by kiwi1202935
The scythe that heals you when you attack was pretty cool!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 2011 10:30pm
by DomingoRules!
I remember Neo as a game that had great potential. It did a wonderful job at making an engaging hack and slash game, doing a much better job in my opinion at making the core gameplay fun versus others like it such as Diablo and Record of Lodoss War. However, the game was ruined by faulty design choices, some of which being contradictory to how the game encourages you to play.

The inability to customize your party members makes your allies feel lacking. Customizing Max with various equipment and ability choices was a lot of fun. Not being able to do the same with allies made them feel too generic and dull. Not to say I have a problem with games that have generic characters of that nature. It only feels lacking because of all you can do with Max.

Magic becomes pretty much worthless because the 'slayer' abilties don't increase their damage output. This was an incredibly lousy decision because the game is advertised as granting you the ability to develop Max into whatever kind of character you desire, but in the long run can't really make him a magic user because of the unfathomably low damage output magic has versus physical attacks. Yes, magic should be weaker to compensate for its special traits such as striking large groups of enemies, but being that much weaker just makes any advantage they have not worth it much later in the game. These damage details are based on what a friend told me, because I never got far enough into the game to have magic fall that far behind.

I also hated the drastic difficulty spikes that were so constant throughout the game. You couldn't just play through the game at a reasonable pace. It felt like every time you cleared a dungeon, you would have to level in order to stand a chance in the next area. And even that didn't remain consistant, for the spikes would become more and more drastic with every new area.

This part is coming from me being a long time 'Shining Force' player, but I also hate the title. It made the game initially misleading when announced to anybody who was familiar with the franchise. I got so psyched about it when I read they were making a new 'Shining Force' game, only to have the new game in my beloved series be something completely different. Even though the title was worked into the story, I've always felt they should have just used a different title for the game, and thus changed such associated story terms. It's not like the series is 'Shining Force', it's just 'Shining'. 'Force' should be strictly used for the tactical RPGs in the series, since that's what had before been established.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 2011 12:00am
by ehow22
I think the general agreement is that Neo's a decent game, it just shouldn't be called Shining Force

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 2011 5:01pm
by Kaihaku
Shining Diablo Neo might have been a better title.