Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Neo
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How will NEO be remembered

in five years time?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

How will NEO be remembered

Postby Goonboy of Shining Camelot » Tue Jan 09 2007 2:34am

How will ShF NEO be remembered as a game by fans in this community? As a set back to the franchise or a necessarly step that paved the way to a STRPG version(In order to bring in new users to the SHINING FORCE universe)

Will time/history be kind to this title?

Re: How will NEO be remembered

Postby Tarethen » Tue Jan 09 2007 2:41am

Seeing as how 97% of the population here hates the game (of which only 40% of those 97% have played/beaten it), then one can safely say that it was the "ultimate destruction of the beloved Camelot Shining series. The series is dead, thanks to Sega."

On the other hand, for those outside of this website, it is the exact opposite. Neo was recieved fairly well to newer people, and even some older fans of the Shining series.

If one were to simply look away from this website at the rest of the world, then they'd see Neo wasn't some disasterous flop. It wasn't a best seller, but it wasn't a total bust.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Tue Jan 09 2007 3:01am

How will Shining Force Neo be remembered in 5 years? I hope to forget the game's existence by then.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Tue Jan 09 2007 3:15am

Goonboy, out of curiosity, what are your stances on Neo and now Exa? I've seen you make a ton of topics concerning Neo and the current state of the Shining series, but I'm not sure if I completely caught your opinion of the matter. By your topics, it appears as if you don't hate the games, but I can't be certain. Care to elaborate?
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Tue Jan 09 2007 3:35am

I think it'll just become a lost title of sorts. No especial publicity, those who enjoyed will remember it, those who hated it with a seething passion will remember it, and everyone else probably won't have a great deal to do with it.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby AlphaShiningFan » Tue Jan 09 2007 8:00pm

Played it, never did beat it, it sits on my shelf gathering dust and I would sell it but it isn't worth enough to matter, so there it sits. I'm a more open-minded old time Shining gamer and I didn't mind the change of play format as much (action rpg from TBS, though I do prefer the old TBS format), but the game was so poor and, well, there were tons of problems with it which I know I have mentioned before, but it is simply forgetable for me. I can't hate it, I can't love it, I just nothing it - it might be okay for the occassional hack-n-slash, but its fun wears off fast.
AlphaShiningFan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Location: The Ninth Circle of Hell, just left of the Lake of Fire.

Postby General Elliot » Tue Jan 09 2007 8:04pm

I am obsessed wit the Shining Series....I played this game for 30 minutes....hate it...

I will remember it....but for all the wrong reasons..
Guts vs Cloud + 3 Seconds later = Cloud in 3 Pieces
Guts vs Cloud + 3 Seconds later = Cloud in 3 Pieces
General Elliot

The Last Dragonute
Whacked with the Banstick

Postby Goonboy of Shining Camelot » Wed Jan 10 2007 12:51pm

Tarethen @ Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:15 am) wrote: Goonboy, out of curiosity, what are your stances on Neo and now Exa? I've seen you make a ton of topics concerning Neo and the current state of the Shining series, but I'm not sure if I completely caught your opinion of the matter. By your topics, it appears as if you don't hate the games, but I can't be certain. Care to elaborate?

My opinions on the direction that the SHINING FORCE series has taken is well documented on this site. Saying that I played Neo and i intially hated it but played it again and it grew on me. Its alright for what it is. I'm just taking a more relaxed view of the game because though its not what i wanted it isn't ShF4. If it was i would say that would be the end but because Sega seems relunctant to carry on a real sequel to the series without the original creators kinda indicates that there is some hope. i always thought of this series as Sega's unintended answer to Dragon Quest anyhow and while that series is growing strong too many sequels water the juice which is what i feel is happening to DQ but not as bad as it happened to FF. Its better what Sega is doing with the series now because they won't rush and make a ShF4 or 5 for money sake. I gladly take five ShF NEOs then have a bad ShF sequel.
The lucky thing for Sega was that the series was a combination of spin off games in the first party era so they can kind of getaway with it.

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Fri Jan 12 2007 6:13am

It will be remembered as the game that redefined, and thus, killed Shining Force.

The end.
The weak can only speak of justice but the powerful can deliver it.

The good will inherit the Earth.

Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Fri Jan 12 2007 2:50pm

Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 am) wrote: It will be remembered as the game that redefined, and thus, killed Shining Force.

The end.

No, no. It's just better to forget it ever existed. The owner of this server should ban all discussion about SFN, to further "forget" that this game ever existed.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Fri Jan 12 2007 5:32pm

Marky @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:50 am) wrote: No, no. It's just better to forget it ever existed. The owner of this server should ban all discussion about SFN, to further "forget" that this game ever existed.

I said this statement back in September when G. Duke made his silly topic, and I shall post the statement again:

"If Moogie felt that the forums did not need this particular category, I think she would have long since removed it if she saw fit. "
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Fri Jan 12 2007 6:13pm

I don't think my good old friend Moogie even cares anymore.

What was once a well-spring of hope has been totally sucked dry. That sums up most of us though.

Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Sat Jan 13 2007 2:17am

Geoffrey Duke @ Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:13 pm) wrote: I don't think my good old friend Moogie even cares anymore.

What was once a well-spring of hope has been totally sucked dry. That sums up most of us though.

I second that.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Flaming Manakin » Sun Jan 14 2007 1:08pm

Interesting topic!

I think it depends on what happens from now with Shining Force. All things in History are are remembered differently depending on (often unrelated) things that happen afterwards.

So if there is never another SRPG SF, Neo will be seen as the game which killed SF as we know it (despite the fact Shining Tears was before it!)

If there is an other SRPG that dosen't satisfy the fans Neo will still be seen as the sullier of the series

However, if there IS another SRPG that delivers Neo will become a footnote and be much less well remembered, and much less hated.

One thing I do think about Neo is that it will be remembered as a VULGAR game where The Force became a star wars type energy force and a single warrior could be descrivbed as 'a force'. This is llike replacing the tardis with a flying outhouse!

So overall, NEO will probably be the scapegoat for the end of a great series.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby daotao » Thu Jan 18 2007 5:27pm

I don't think it's the end just yet...they'll probably re-release some of the old ones. And they'll probably make a new one.
daotao

Postby sonic slicer » Sun Jan 28 2007 7:45am

It'll probaly be remebered as the game with the most mixed feelings.

If the game didn't have the "shining force" name, tried to use the whole Max/Cain/Adam thing bad voices, and didn't mess up some of the speicies (birdlings).....the game would of done much better.

But enough of the bad talk........I did enjoy the game (still not shining force, but i enjoyed it), interesting storyline, and somewhat of some funny moments in there.
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :halo:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :devil:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :g:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :pants:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :p
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :spliff:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :snarl:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :lol:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :halo:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :devil:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :g:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :pants:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :spliff:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :snarl:
:music: "Sing the happy happy happy happy happy piccolo song :music: :lol:
sonic slicer

Pervy McPerverson
Shining Hero

Postby ShiningLover » Tue Apr 03 2007 2:09pm

And i thought that shining force neo was loved by all of you :lol: :lol:
Dont get me wrong. Im usually in shining force 3 forums, and today is the first day in here. I bought shining force neo a few days ago and should arrive in any minute, and cant wait to play it. (you can kill me after i played the game ok?) :lol: :lol:
I guess we just should open our minds to the series. But hey, cheer up, my dream is to make a shining force game in its classic and so "loved by you and me too" tactical way, i still dont understand nothing of game programming but im gonna try real hard. Nobody is gonna die without playing first one last REAL shining force adventure. :lol:
ShiningLover

Postby Silverwolf X » Wed Apr 11 2007 8:45pm

Neo will be remembered as a joke of a game. NEO would soon be recycled into a better game called EXA, which the Japanese prefer over NEO and are trying thier best to forget that NEO ever existed, even though EXA reuses alot of NEO's graphics and map sets. But who cares, to them, NEO never existed to begin with.

:p
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tarethen » Wed Apr 11 2007 9:45pm

^ Personal opinion, or things you've heard? =P I'm interested to know.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Thu Apr 12 2007 5:39am

If you can, you should read the Jap reviews of EXA. More then half of them bash NEO at some point.
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Next

Return to Shining Force Neo