Shining Force Neo: Max?

I'm a little confused ... Spoilers maybe

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Max?

Post by Martin III »

Bleh, I shouldn't even be lurking on this board, seeing as how I've never played SF Neo.

However, it happens that I can partially answer your question, drewbster, and seeing as how no one else has stepped up to the plate... (glares around the room) Yes, it is universally or near universally accepted that Max and Kane are brothers. It's mentioned in the Japanese versions of both The Legacy of Great Intention and The Final Conflict, and the SFC translation of Final Conflict maintains that. The canon problems with RotDD lie elsewhere. I haven't played the game myself, but I hear that the origin of Dark Dragon is different, for one thing.

I think RotDD isn't even intended as canon. Maybe my memory deceives me, but I recall hearing that Sega has stated that RotDD and Shining Soul I are intended as alternate universe.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Xaevyan
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Xaevyan »

Most people accept that Max and Kane are brothers. Even though the English version of LoGI doesn't mention it. I know it's mentioned in SFFC.

I played Neo, but it didn't hold my attention. I don't really know it's story line, but I have played SHFI and RotDD. The storyline problems in RotDD and how they line up with LoGI and the rest of the Shining Force Universe (as far as I can tell) are pretty messed up. Lots of things, I noticed, don't exactly line up. Like how Dark Dragon supposively came about. Especially when you consider what the Storytellers in Tristan tell you about Darksol, Dark Dragon and Zeon. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Spoiler
Unless they got into their fight right after "the Ancient created him." Or the Dark Dragon the Storytellers are talking about is a different one entirely.
While RotDD may "add info to the original plot" it also messes up the original facts. So, I don't really look at RotDD as a relation to the LoGI universe.

I've played LoGI so many times I can tell you whats in almost all the chests and almost quote the characters and never get tired of it. I've played RotDD once and could hardly force myself through it a second time to complete the Cards.
Balbazak wrote:*GHACK* MY SOUL! NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo...
by the way, *GHACK* is officially the sound of your soul being devoured. :)
Even in the deepest darkness there is always a light to guide you.
Believe in that light and the darkness can never defeat you.
Your heart will shine with its power and push the darkness away.
Dominus_Draconis
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dominus_Draconis »

Spoiler
the "Dark Dragon" mentioned in tristan is Lucifer, the main problems are with RotDD other things, one of the most glaring being that Elliot is supposed to be the last Dragonnewt, but there are fairly common Dragonewts in SFII as regular enemies
El Cabong!
Steve McQueen wannabe
Shining Member

Post by El Cabong! »

QUOTE (Dominus_Draconis @ Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:34 pm)
Spoiler
the "Dark Dragon" mentioned in tristan is Lucifer, the main problems are with RotDD other things, one of the most glaring being that Elliot is supposed to be the last Dragonnewt, but there are fairly common Dragonewts in SFII as regular enemies

As Martin said, I shouldn't be here either as I have never played Neo. But DD and Lucifer are one in the same. I believe they renamed Lucifer, as DD, for English release.

*Edit*
Draconis- I wasn't entirely sure if thats what you meant. You're wording kinda threw me off a touch..
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Kane/Cain/Cane, whatever he's being called now dies in both Shining Force Neo and SF1, so they cant possibly be the same. I thought Vandolf made an appearance at the last sequence.
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

neo after SFI ???
or before

is after, how can you explain the Max Family in NEO

SFI is after NEO

part of NEO is in other continent, out of Rune... where Shining the Holy Ark - Wisdom - SFIII

is my theory...

so, the first Shining Saturn is not after SFII, but SFIII yes

and both SFI is the same :thumbsup:
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

I don't think this game falls in the same "world".
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

wow, how i can post this >___>

but Max and Kane are brothers, Kane die in SF1, both dragons are from the same race, Lucifer is DD, and i don't know what is a canon xD
Dr. Casey
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Dr. Casey »

yeah
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kaihaku »

sulfuroxp @ Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:27 pm) wrote: wow, how i can post this >___>

but Max and Kane are brothers, Kane die in SF1, both dragons are from the same race, Lucifer is DD, and i don't know what is a canon xD
Alternate universe. In my opinion, Neo is a drastic re-envisioning of the classic series much like Megaman Battle Network is a re-envisioning of Megaman. There are a lot of similarities but they are not the same.

Classic Max and Neo Max have some things in common but just look at them, they not the same character. Caine and Kane don't bear much resemblance to one another either.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Funny that this topic should be revived just as I find myself in need of some clarification about Neo Max. I was editing the Shining Wiki when I came upon the article for Max, which essentially implies that LoGI Max, RotDD Max, and Neo Max are all one and the same. Obviously this needs fixing, but before I do that I want to know exactly how it should be fixed.

We've well-established here that Neo is not set in the same world as Legacy of Great Intention. But that still leaves the question: What is the exact nature of the Neo world? More specifically, is Neo Max an alternate version of the LoGI Max, or a different person entirely? And if he is an alternate version, is he the same as RotDD Max, i.e. are Neo and Resurrection of the Dark Dragon set in the same universe?
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kaihaku »

Personally, I believe that Neo should be considered alternative universe. I think of it as a tribute to the original series rather than an addition to it.

Resurrection of the Dark Dragon is more difficult... I believe that it is the same Max as in the original Shining Force but there are some significant differences between the two versions, some due to changes during localization and some due to changes in the overall plot. Plenty of Shining experts around here who are far more aware of those differences than I am. Anyway, I'd say that the Resurrection of the Dark Dragon Max is a revision of the original Japanese Max. He bears more similarities to the original Japanese Max but brings a few new qualities to the table.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

good5689 wrote:Hi All,

Avatar should be in happy mood and attractive. What do you think ? :D :lol: :bom: :bounce:

Thanks

[insert random ads here]
They clearly need more bom and bounce... Wait, no they don't. Go away adbot.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Adbot? What adbot? I don't see an adbot.

:shifty:
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

And then I was the adbot. My imagination is running wild!... or is it? >_>
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guthwulf

Post by Guthwulf »

The wikipedia says that the information about the memory loss was left out in the english translation.

"The English translation of Shining Force has perhaps the most confusing errors and omissions of any translated game in the Shining series save the Working Designs translation of Shining Wisdom. Most notably, the backstory of Max, the protagonist of the game, is entirely left out. The original Japanese script tells that Max has amnesia and was found washed up on the beach by Lowe, who subsequently came to be his best friend. Later, it is revealed that Max is in fact the brother of Lord Kane of Runefaust. All these plot points were lost in the official translation. In the official translation Kane still expresses horror that Darksol forced him to fight Max, but without any explanation why."

Here the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Force" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

And necro'd again. Yep, that all was clarified with the translation someone did here. See here: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... =3&t=14517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Rune »

Also, it's clear Max and Cain are brothers for the simple reason that in a video game from this era if anyone has even the slightest chance of being your father, mother, sister, or brother then they are.
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Guthwulf wrote:The wikipedia says that the information about the memory loss was left out in the english translation.

"The English translation of Shining Force has perhaps the most confusing errors and omissions of any translated game in the Shining series save the Working Designs translation of Shining Wisdom. Most notably, the backstory of Max, the protagonist of the game, is entirely left out. The original Japanese script tells that Max has amnesia and was found washed up on the beach by Lowe, who subsequently came to be his best friend. Later, it is revealed that Max is in fact the brother of Lord Kane of Runefaust. All these plot points were lost in the official translation. In the official translation Kane still expresses horror that Darksol forced him to fight Max, but without any explanation why."

Here the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Force" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is perfectly fine, still doesn't mean Neo has any actual relation to the original SF games, mainly considering Kain dies.

If you want to think anything of Neo then its an alternate universe/retelling of the original story with similar characters.
Chaosgirl998

Post by Chaosgirl998 »

I found out about shining force Neo it's not a shining force game it's a hack and slash game with the shining force in the title I mean come on it doesn't ever like a shining force game
"Don't you wish you were dead like me?"