Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Neo
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

To buy or not to buy?

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

To buy or not to buy?

yes
64%
no
36%

Total votes : 88

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Postby Aspartate » Fri Dec 02 2005 7:56am

Links? Agree? Wow such fraud Sega put up.

Sega of Japan officially announced that Neo is NOT linked to the original Shining Force on Genesis nor the SF remake on GBA. Hard to believe? Check out the FAQ section of Neo's official site. Scroll to the last Q&A, dump it in this translation site, and there you have it:
[Question] Since many characters share the same name, is there any relationship between "Shining Force" of Genesis & GBA and this game?
[Answer] It is not directly related in story. It is homage to the past "Shining Force". And if it gives a smile only to those who understands, it will make me glad.

I thought it's dirty enough for SoJ to deliberately misled people to think this is a prequel to the original.
(This FAQ was added 5 days after the game's release. By the time people found they were cheated and wanted to complain, SoJ can point to this page and say, "told you so. You weren't paying attention to our announcements. :p")
But at least they admitted it. SoA just chose to make no clarification on this. Geez.

[SIZE=1][edit]Figured I should add the translation to the question too to avoid confusion
Aspartate

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Dec 02 2005 3:21pm

So is that an admittance that technically this isn't a Shining game? :biggrin:
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Legend of Josh » Fri Dec 02 2005 5:29pm

I don't think SEGA intended to "trick" people into buying this game under the impression it would be just like previous releases. I think they intended to label it "Shining" for boosted profits. Yes, it is deceiving, but people should read labels or do research before they spend $50 on something, video game or anything else.

If you bought Neo and now you're unhappy because you feel you were under a false impression, maybe this will be a lesson to you.

:thumbsup:
“If it’s your dream to be successful in this life without having to lift a finger – imagine the nightmare you’ll encounter if your dream came true” – Legend of Josh
“If it’s your dream to be successful in this life without having to lift a finger – imagine the nightmare you’ll encounter if your dream came true” – Legend of Josh

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Dec 02 2005 6:32pm

Legend of Josh @ Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:29 pm) wrote: I don't think SEGA intended to "trick" people into buying this game under the impression it would be just like previous releases. I think they intended to label it "Shining" for boosted profits.

So they always meant to buttrape the series for their own good at the expense of the fans who cared? Despite the fact that we were a factor in the reasons for reviving Shining games?

Remind me to visit SoJ's headquarters while next March. Bearing in mind I can find a petrol station first.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Fri Dec 02 2005 7:31pm

Cullsoft @ Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:32 pm) wrote: So they always meant to buttrape the series for their own good at the expense of the fans who cared? Despite the fact that we were a factor in the reasons for reviving Shining games?

Remind me to visit SoJ's headquarters while next March. Bearing in mind I can find a petrol station first.

Well... Sega is a company out to make money. If it outrages a few fans, I doubt they care much. It's all about making money, not necessarily pleasing their fans.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Jogurt821 » Fri Dec 02 2005 8:47pm

That's been Sega's plan after the deconnection of the Dreamcast.
"There are plenty of things in my backpack. Let's see... A change of
underclothes. Keeping clean is the key to a sharp appearance. Come to think of
it, how often do you change your underwear?"
-Gong
Go toslaygawebs
"There are plenty of things in my backpack. Let's see... A change of
underclothes. Keeping clean is the key to a sharp appearance. Come to think of
it, how often do you change your underwear?"
-Gong
Go toslaygawebs
Jogurt821

Postby Marky » Thu Dec 15 2005 4:42am

Aspartate @ Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 am) wrote: Links? Agree? Wow such fraud Sega put up.

Sega of Japan officially announced that Neo is NOT linked to the original Shining Force on Genesis nor the SF remake on GBA. Hard to believe? Check out the FAQ section of Neo's official site. Scroll to the last Q&A, dump it in this translation site, and there you have it:
[Question] Since many characters share the same name, is there any relationship between "Shining Force" of Genesis & GBA and this game?
[Answer] It is not directly related in story. It is homage to the past "Shining Force". And if it gives a smile only to those who understands, it will make me glad.

I thought it's dirty enough for SoJ to deliberately misled people to think this is a prequel to the original.
(This FAQ was added 5 days after the game's release. By the time people found they were cheated and wanted to complain, SoJ can point to this page and say, "told you so. You weren't paying attention to our announcements. :p")
But at least they admitted it. SoA just chose to make no clarification on this. Geez.

[SIZE=1][edit]Figured I should add the translation to the question too to avoid confusion

Yep, I figured it was just a game to present SF: LOGI and SF:ROTDD in a strange but unrelated way.

Yay! I was correct for once! Anyway, thanks, Aspartate, for clarifying where SFN stands in the Shining World.

I guess SFN isn't a Shining game at all.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Noahd42 » Wed Jan 04 2006 12:22am

the Shining Force series ended on a good note dont you think? three successful games all on Sega consoles. This is the first origional Shining Force game on a non Sega console, times have changed and so has the gameplay(If you really liked the strategic gameplay you can relive SF on the GBA). I too favor the strategic turn based play over real time, but the game still features many memorable characters, beautiful and diverse environments and the classic battle between light and evil like the other Shining Force games.....the main characters name is Max just like the origional SF! They tried to make this game as Shining Force as possible while still keeping it into its own unique series. Support Sega by buying this game, it is a good move in the right direction but if you dont like the direction that the series is taking after playing the game and giving it some quality time pawn it off or something and voice your complaints or you will never be heard. Basically just give it a chance, times have changed...who knows it might grow on you.
Noahd42

Postby Marky » Thu Jan 05 2006 1:40am

Noahd42 @ Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:22 am) wrote: the Shining Force series ended on a good note dont you think? three successful games all on Sega consoles. This is the first origional Shining Force game on a non Sega console, times have changed and so has the gameplay(If you really liked the strategic gameplay you can relive SF on the GBA). I too favor the strategic turn based play over real time, but the game still features many memorable characters, beautiful and diverse environments and the classic battle between light and evil like the other Shining Force games.....the main characters name is Max just like the origional SF! They tried to make this game as Shining Force as possible while still keeping it into its own unique series. Support Sega by buying this game, it is a good move in the right direction but if you dont like the direction that the series is taking after playing the game and giving it some quality time pawn it off or something and voice your complaints or you will never be heard. Basically just give it a chance, times have changed...who knows it might grow on you.

Well, yes, Shining Force ended on a good note on a Sega Console. But now, SF has been resurrected as a Zombie. And asking us to purchase this game (to give it a try or to support Sega and encourage them to make another SF game), well, it won't happen. I purchased Neo, played a few hours, said f**k it. I didn't like it and sold to somebody on the boards.

And by purchasing this game, you might be encouraging Sega to make another hack 'N slash SF game. So I wouldn't buy another Diablo clone from Sega, even if it is SF unless it was good. SFN in my opinion wasn't all that great.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Fri Jan 06 2006 8:13am

There are defenately things in Neo that are taken from the Shining Series. But it's not connected directly to the rest of the series, thus why it is named Neo.

Reguardless of the fact it is not Shining Force 1, 2, 3, or the fabled 4 everyone here wants to see. The game is fun as hell, the storyline is not bad at all. The movies are wicked, and there is a lot of replay value. It's a game that gamers into storylines , traveling fantasy, hack n slashers, or just something to kill time can play and enjoy. Although its not Shining Force, I have enjoyed the references to the old games in Neo. All and All. It's not Force, but it's still a decent game.

Personally I think that the people totally flipping out on Neo take this shit a little too seriously. I love the series. It remains to be my favorite series. From the day I bought SitD in '91 before there was any kind of series to this present day. Neo doesn't bother me at all. I was less amused by Shining Wisdom, Shining Soul, and Shining Tears then I am with Shining Force Neo.

If your a total purist don't get it. But if you are looking for a cool RPG to play for a while and aren't totally stuck on the fact it's not Shining Force 4. Buy it.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Noahd42 » Fri Jan 06 2006 8:49pm

By saying Shining Force Neo is an anime-laden Diablo clone is like saying Silent Hill is a Resident Evil clone just because the two are of the same genre or Killzone is a Halo clone because they are both FPS games.... or Rez is a Panzer Dragoon clone because they are both rail shooters....
The point is that the gameplay is solid either way you see it, i cant draw too many similarities between Diablo and SF NEO...other than that Diablo was garbage... SF Neo just is a different take using slight similarities in gameplay.
I'm really glad they got a big name studio to do the anime cutscenes, because i really dont think the in-game engine could have handled those cutscenes as well as the anime did.
I'm enjoying the game, but its definitley a game you have to let yourself get into and put in 3-5 hours before you judge it, its not at the top of my gaming list right now, but its definitley up there and will be completed...
Noahd42

Postby Marky » Sat Jan 07 2006 12:33am

Noahd42 @ Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:49 pm) wrote: By saying Shining Force Neo is an anime-laden Diablo clone is like saying Silent Hill is a Resident Evil clone just because the two are of the same genre or Killzone is a Halo clone because they are both FPS games.... or Rez is a Panzer Dragoon clone because they are both rail shooters....
The point is that the gameplay is solid either way you see it, i cant draw too many similarities between Diablo and SF NEO...other than that Diablo was garbage... SF Neo just is a different take using slight similarities in gameplay.
I'm really glad they got a big name studio to do the anime cutscenes, because i really dont think the in-game engine could have handled those cutscenes as well as the anime did.
I'm enjoying the game, but its definitley a game you have to let yourself get into and put in 3-5 hours before you judge it, its not at the top of my gaming list right now, but its definitley up there and will be completed...

I gave it rouglhy 3 hours, and I didn't enjoy it. So I guess my opinion is valid. And I gave it a try too (as mentioned in other posts).
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Noahd42 » Sat Jan 07 2006 9:46am

fair enough, hopefully you will be treated with a game you like in the near future from the Shining series.
Noahd42

Postby Wyndigo » Sat Jan 07 2006 2:23pm

Hotstuffcomingyourway!Hotstuffcomingyourway!Hotstuffcomingyourway!Hotstuffcomingyourway!Hotstuffcomingyourway!Hotstuffcomingyourway!..... Times infinity.

Yeah. No. It just doesn't look like the type of game to give a lot of replay. The voice acting sounds pretty bad and from what I've heard the story is kinda mudane. No, I'm not gonna buy it.

I might rent it though if I'm that curious.
Wyndigo

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tarethen » Sat Jan 07 2006 2:51pm

Voices grow on you. I'm used to Max's voice now. Mariel's voice is also done well.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Fox » Sat Jan 07 2006 6:22pm

Yeah at the start Meryl irritated the hell out of me. But I'll admit, I actually started to like her voice after awhile... and Graham is just funny.
Fox

Postby Noahd42 » Sat Jan 07 2006 10:39pm

i agree, the voice acting early on it pretty weak
it gets better as more characters are introduced i think.
Noahd42

Postby pLuShIe » Thu Aug 24 2006 7:22pm

Bought it, disliked it, took another look into it.. and fell in love :3

Sadly, it's the first SF game I have played, but reading a lot of disappointed posts coming from the old school fans, I may have to go look into them all.
But does it glow? o.Oa
But does it glow? o.Oa
pLuShIe

Postby Shining Bowie » Sat Dec 16 2006 4:03am

Just bought this yesterday and am about to load it in my ps2 now.

I will edit this post with my initial thoughts.

EDIT:

I think this is a better game than the souls... though just and advanced version of them. It makes me want to find Shining Tears.. I stumbled across this with some dumb luck at the EB games PREPLAYED section.

I do find the talking to be really really excessively long.

And I'm finding the battles to be very difficult... though O mashing....
I'm not just Bowie, I'm

SHINING BOWIE!!!!!!!!!

The difference is blinding!

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature

Stillwater Glenn Designs is now attending university and has quite given up on finishing Ties of Heart.
I'm not just Bowie, I'm

SHINING BOWIE!!!!!!!!!

The difference is blinding!

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature

Stillwater Glenn Designs is now attending university and has quite given up on finishing Ties of Heart.
Shining Bowie

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Millefune » Wed Dec 27 2006 9:12pm

Just thought I'd chime in on the "sales/boycott" angle of the thread. The sales in the U.S. really won't affect what direction they go in, just whether or not they port the next ones over. It's the sales in Japan that'll influence the series' game mechanic/style trend. The game is made and developed in Japan after all.
Millefune

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Neo