Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Neo
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Just finished the game

My thoughts

Discuss Sega's Shining 'Force' RPG for the S*ny Playstation 2.

Just finished the game

Postby Xetro » Wed Aug 29 2007 3:13pm

Well, here I am, having just completed the main game, and seen the end credits roll. And here are my thoughts on the whole thing.

First, I noticed that this forum tends to bash the game, just a bit. But I rather liked it. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was still quite good. The few downsides it had were mostly small, and easily overlooked, and the allusions to the original shining force were nice, and I did have the honest feeling that this could be a prequel to the original.but we will get to that in a moment.

GAMEPLAY

So, Lets start on the gameplay. Honestly, this is the one thing I got the biggest surprise about. It was of course not a turn based strategy game, but rather a more arcade style action game, similar to the Gauntlet legends series. I have heard a lot of people compare it to dynasty warriors as well, but I have never played that game myself. Personally, while the change was unexpected, I rather liked it. The only issues I had seemed to be with my party mates, whom I had no control of. They often used ineffective attacks, when they had other perfectly good abilities that would have been helpful, and they almost never attacked the enemies I wanted them to. If I could change ONE thing in this game.. it would be the ability to issue some quick orders to my party mates.

From the technical aspect, I never encountered any real bugs, though there was the occasional slowdown when too many enemies got on the screen, and the spells started to fly about. Though I suppose this is to be expected when you have that much going on at one point. Even the PS2 has its limits, and it seems this game managed to push them in a few battles, particularly in the hives.

The character customization was simple, and intuitive, it let me do as I saw fit, and allowed me to craft max to be as specialized or as broad as I needed him to be, and at the same time, with enough effort, you could also max out ALL of his stats. I know it doesn't seem like a major detail, but sometimes it is fun to play a game to death just to make your player a god. I will probably be doing alot of that in the bonus dungeon.

STORY

Well, The story seemed pretty solid, and gave us a lot of background info on all of the major players in the tale. I wont go into spoilers here, but I will say that it showed a lot of conflict, both personal, and physical. The voice acting could have been done better, but that is something I have said for about 99 percent of the games I have played. IN fact only 2 game series really seem to stand out for VA for me One of them being Metal Gear Solid, and the other being the Legacy of Kain series. So despite the fact that the acting seemed a bit 'forced' the voices at least seemed appropriate for the characters. The dialoge, while often cliche, was well written, and didn't have any memorable errors. And frankly a few moments in the game were quite humorous. (Mostly the moments that made poor Max blush like a little boy.)

Overall, I'd say I was fairly entertained while playing it. and am quite happy. Its not the best I've played, but it is nice and solid.
Proud SFCer Since January 20 2001
Xetro

Re: Just finished the game

Postby Chaos Wizard » Fri Aug 31 2007 4:46pm

I really do think it's quite a good game, as is EXA. I have to say I enjoyed pretty much every aspect of the game. As far as hack n slash RPG's go I don't think I've really played anything I can say I enjoyed more. The graphics are good, the game play is good. I like the use of Force Arts and special abilities, and the storyline was surprisingly dramatic.

I'm glad you liked it, as I really don't feel that it deserves the rap it's got.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Xetro » Fri Aug 31 2007 9:41pm

I'm glad somebody agrees with me. I wonder how many of the haters out there actually have played this game, or more importantly, gave it a fair chance without the "I want a grid strategy game" whining.
Xetro

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sat Sep 01 2007 10:24pm

Indeed. One thing that i find interesting is this is the only place I've met people who have played Neo and didn't like it. My friends who I introduced or reintroduced the series to, all like Neo and EXA quite a bit.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Sat Sep 01 2007 10:53pm

I played Neo and enjoyed it quite a bit. I also played Exa and enjoyed it.

CW and I are some of the few people around the boards who enjoy the new games and the old games with the same sort of passion. It's a shame, really.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sun Sep 02 2007 6:02am

For sure. I've been with the series since the very beginning, buying a beating Shining In the Darkness when it came out in '91 (I was 7!) and have just never gotten tired of any of the games. I'm going through Shining Force 2 again at the moment. Then I'm thinking I'll probably play Shining The Holy Ark again. It's been a while since I've gotten to play it through.

The new ones although different still bring excellent game play to the table, and story to the table. I can safely say I enjoy them a hell of a lot more then Gauntlet, and I think there is a lot more too them then the gauntlet series as well, and having them labeled as being "Gauntlet clones" like I've heard a few times is a shame and a sin. Neo and Exa surpass those games in every department, and have good replay value which is something that can be said about the entire series.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby mistagrimstreet » Mon Dec 24 2012 6:12pm

I think it was a great game. It could have been named anything else and people would've loved it. The backlash comes from old school Shiners. They as well as I want to be taken back to that. All in all Neo was cool. Loved all the lil things that referred back to the original, just like names and things only the Camelot generation would catch. Neo and Exa are good in my book.
may the light guide you on your quest for justice
may the light guide you on your quest for justice

Postby Meldebious » Sat Apr 20 2013 10:26pm

I finished it as well, while yes It wasn't as good as the orginals any game that I DO finish has to be a good game.
Meldebious

Postby rbahamut » Wed May 28 2014 4:33am

Good game, if you can look past your hardcore fandome of the tactical series and story. As a standalone game it played well and the story was great.
rbahamut

Return to Shining Force Neo