Need some help with stat building and skills

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18 2005 5:01pm
by Skippy
i have xion at lvl 10 and i haven't used any stat points yet, but i did use all his skill points. so far i have lvl 1 thousand thrust,lvl 1 gravity...slash?, lvl 5 def up, lvl 2 accuracy up, lvl 1 evasion up. Can any one tell me which stats and skills are most beneficial to pump up for xion and elwyn? O and should i have used points on those skills ?

Need some help with stat building and skills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 1:22am
by Eric
Elwyn is pretty straightforward, bump up her strength as much as you can and then put points in Dex if she misses too much. She goes through SP really fast, so INT is good if you want more juice, but main focus should be on STR and DEX. CON should be upped high enough to take at least 2-3 hits, remember your partner will be blocking for her so she should focus on offense. Level up Rapid Fire and NEVER touch dryad's allure or the AI will use it too much. Put a couple points into penetration and Critical as your leveling up rapid fire. Anti-Air is good especially if you plan on using other characters, as it will enable her to specialize at killing them, and many of the more fearsome enemies are flying. Link abilities for her are weak except multishot, but by the time that move is useful you need to have tons and tons of SP for both teammates later on in advanced mode, and if you have that much you probably had been neglecting strength or dex.

Xion's Thousand Thrust is all I needed, after that its all about his Auto skills. I think you put too much points into defense, evasion or accuracy are better later in the game. And in Advanced mode you begin to appreciate resist Thunder more. Synchro and chain attack are pretty good skill. Since Elwyn usually gets a bonus to her accuracy your going to realize that Xion needs more Dex than her. Also your going to have to be physically tougher than Elwyn so Con is a big deal especially early on. As with Elwyn a little INT is worthwile. Your remaining points should go into STR, but you'll find that since he had demanded more of the other stats Elwyn will be slightly stronger.

While its important not to neglect STR I should say that having a really high STR doesnt end up helping you too much. I mostly play offensively in RPG's but in this one its much more rewarding to take care of your defense or durability first, and then focus on how quickly you can eliminate your enemy.

Re: Need some help with stat building and skills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 3:46am
by ChillinVillain
Think of Xion as an all-around character (like most main characters in games). His offense and defense should be balanced. But if you're going to be having Elwyn as a partner most of the time, I would advise boosting Xion's defense (which in your case you've done with his auto skill (defense up) so good) as he'll be working as a type of shield for Elwyn. Thousand Thrust is a must, by far, and you can pretty much stay away from his other Single Skills. Gavity Slash is not bad, but I would advise against it as you'll need the points for other skills. Spark sucks, plain and simple, and thunder blade sucks too. Thousand Thrust > all other moves. So boost it up as much as possible.

As I mentioned, Defense Up Skill is well worth spending a point on, along with Accuracy Skill. Later on you're definetely going to want plenty of accuracy. Try and spend a point here and there on Rist Thunder, Chain Power, and Synchronize too, as they're very helpful.

Now normally I would say SP is a huge factor, but for Xion it's not. You'll find plenty of SP recovery items as you journey, and they don't cost much at the item shop anyways, so don't worry about boosting Xion's INT up too much. Try to focus on Constitution early in the game, as you'll need plenty of HP, and not so much Strength or Intelligence. Agility is good, but not huge, try and spend some time on that every so often if you feel you're missing too much or getting hit too often. Trust me, you'd rather have plenty of HP, especially later on in the game, rather than fall short. And later on when is starts getting a little more difficult, that's when you can lay off Constitution and focus more on Strength.

Now, Elwyn. She's definetely more of an offense character than a defense. For her skills, basically just level up Rapid Fire (in the beginning) as much as possible, anything else is really just a waste. If you're going to do that, make sure she has plenty of Intelligence, as she's going to need it, especially if you have the AI using her because they use Rapid Fire like there's no tomorrow, so within seconds of starting the battle, she could be out of SP depending on how high a level Rapid Fire is. (Keep in mind that Xion isn't going to have much SP either, so using SP recovery items will help Elwyn as well). That's why you should try and level up Penetration and Critical. Those become huge later on in the game when it becomes harder.

As I mentioned, she's more of an offense based character, so there's no need (to a certain extent) to worry about her defense and HP. But you're going to have to spend a few status points on Constitution every so often. She'll be behind Xion most of the time in battle, so if she's going to attack, you don't want her to miss, and when she does get attacked you want her to dodge it, so make sure to give her plenty of Agility too. Strength is not a waste in Status Points by far, so fill her up on Strength. To sum up: don't worry about her Constitution much, try and balance everything else; more so on Strength, though.

QUICK NOTE: Recovery items are your friend. Don't forget how inexpensive they are at the Item Shop. DON'T BE AFRAID OF USING RECOVERY ITEMS! YOU'LL FIND TIMES WHEN YOU CAN'T PICK UP ITEMS BECAUSE YOUR BAGGAGE IS FULL, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME YOU ALMOST DIED A MINUTE AGO BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO WASTE AN ITEM. I'm only telling you this because I sometimes have a problem with it. Not just in Shining Tears either. All RPG's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 5:12am
by Skippy
thanks alot guys for the very detailed responses. just wondering exactly how much should i put on the auto skills and thousand thrust ? should i max them ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 6:07am
by ChillinVillain
You'll eventually want to max out Thousand Thrust and the auto skills. Try to focus mainly on Thousand Thrust to begin with, though, and max that out first. Accuracy and Evasion shouldn't be much of a problem unitl later on.

Again, I would advise wasting points on other Single Skills.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 6:14am
by Skippy
thanks i started over so now i dont have gravity slash. it only took me about 30 mins to get back to where i was because i wasn't that far lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 6:26am
by ChillinVillain
That's good. I mean, really it's not that bad, but clearly Thousand Thrust is Xion's ultimate Single Skill, and there's really no point in wasting Skill Points on other Single Skills.

Good choice with Elwyn, by the way. She's my favorite character, and one of (if not) the best. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 5:17pm
by Skippy
thanks im still a little confused on the auto skills like xions def up and elwyns penetration and critical and antiariel. should i max those skills ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 5:30pm
by zer0kage
Skippy @ Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:17 pm) wrote: thanks im still a little confused on the auto skills like xions def up and elwyns penetration and critical and antiariel. should i max those skills ?

Penetration and Critical only.

Def up is also good. Btw if you like Link skills be sure to get Gravity Slash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 2005 8:02pm
by Eric
here's the thing, once you get into advanced mode you can raise skills up to level 20. The big skills like Thousand Thrust, Rapid Fire, Critical, Penetration should all be maxed out in normal mode. But in advanced mode you'll find 15 to be the best thousand thrust level. Because if you go to 16 or beyond it wastes more SP for a really small boost. Since Rapid Fire doesnt go up in cost past 15 thats more worth it, but those 3 skills of hers should be maxed out as soon as you can. Xion's auto skills are sorta up to you, but its good to spend at least 1 point into each as the initial bonus is good on all of them. Remember the max level is 99.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 2005 2:59am
by ChillinVillain
Exactly. Elwyn doesn't have much to choose from when it comes to Skills. Basically in Normal Mode you're going to want to max out Rapid Fire, Penetration, and Critical. But later, in Advance mode, things become a little more tough and you're going to need to spend points on other things. Focus on Normal Mode for now and just max everything, or try to at least. Let's face it - 10 level's isn't much, so maxing out Rapid Fire shouldn't be a problem, but once into Advance, and Skills can be upgraded to level 20, then maxing out isn't your best option. All in all, don't spend points on Skills you don't need. Dryad's Allure or Spark for example. Pure crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 2005 3:09am
by Skippy
ok so for xion i have
41 str
41 agi
30 int
50 con
and for elwyn
55 str
45 agi
34 int
28 con

And both of them are at level 15 how am i doing with my stats so far ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 2005 6:38pm
by ChillinVillain
I'd say pretty good, but try and lay off the Strength a tad and add a little more to Intelligence for Elwyn. Not bad, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 2:49am
by Skippy
cool thanks, so i guess i'll spend some points on int for elwyn. Should xion's agi be higher then his str and should his con be higher then both str and agi ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 3:03am
by ChillinVillain
Actually I would try and balance them all. But if one's going to be higher than the other, make it Consitution. It's up to you really, if you feel you're not doing enough damage, up Strength a little. Or if you're missing too much, up Agility. Your call.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 4:50am
by Skippy
how about elwyn, should she have an equal amount of agi and str as well ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 5:26am
by ChillinVillain
Pretty much, yeah. Hold on, let me check my game..

I have Elwyn at 73 Strength and 90 Agility. She's level 63, so I guess I should tell you more Agility, but more Strength isn't a bad thing either. Again, I would just try to balance them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 6:30am
by Skippy
cool thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 2005 7:33am
by Eric
My Elwyn is at about the same level Reinhart and she BARELY ever misses in advanced tower of heaven. She is about 1.5 times more strength than Agility. If you boost your INT alot, you still will eventually run out. And when your doing normal attacks all that matters is your STR and AGI. Its nice to have decent INT, but I still say DEX and STR is better (at least in my opininion). Just because she is an elf and an archer doesnt mean you have to follow the stereotype. By the end of the game if Elwyn has 70 dex that should be decent, if you hate missing pump it to 90, probably never miss there if you use the right bow at the end.

As for Xion I tended to have something like this: 80 STR 80 CON 60 AGI 60 INT. at one point thats what I had, if I had to redo anything it would probably be to use less INT and put that in the other 3 stats. But for me STR and CON were the most important. Especially CON. If you don't focus on STR it will be hard to dish out good damage to the last boss on Advanced mode, and for me I was relying on Volg(AI) to do the damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 2005 4:15am
by Skippy
are you sure you have 1.5 times more str then agi for elwyn? because that would mean you have 105 str and isn't that too much ? well anyways how much str and con is good for xion then? and how much int is a good amount for elwyn ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 2005 3:43pm
by Eric
my ps2 is borrowed out at the moment, but yes Im pretty sure I had 120 STR and 70 DEX with Elwyn at one point and she was still pretty much hitting the hardest monsters without missing much. She was using Sure-kill Bow which adds accuracy, also I think Elwyn has an inherent boost to her accuracy anyways. See if y9ou clear a map you get your SP back, so I like to get Elwyn maybe something like 50-70 INT (100-140)in the plan to get to lv99, at that point a magic restoration item can fill that up and its not like you had to sacrifice your STR and DEX alot. Here is the question you must ask yourself, the rapid fire is good, but without a good STR you will need to rely on constant rapid fire, whereas if you have a good STR you can have an even stronger rapid fire and you arent as reliant on the rapid fire because you will still be useful even when SP runs out. What I was talking about with elves+archer meaning stereotypically higher dex and less str, I was saying you should probably focus more on STR since she needs less dex. My Elwyn had quite alot more STR than Xion since Xion had to cover his CON needs as well as having a higher need for DEX, typicially their INT was about the same meaning they could last a good while on charge attacks, but mainly were built to be fine without SP too. So because Elwyn needed CON and DEX less she had more energy to put into STR. While the bonuses of STR increases seem small, when you think about how many times your going to hit your opponents and then think about how much you can reduce that amount by becoming stronger its worth it, but remember your defense has the greatest immediate results (CON), so I like bumping that up the most early on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 2005 7:17pm
by ChillinVillain
Exactly, Eric's lalst point is what I was saying with Xion. You're going to want more Constitution (too much is a sense) rather than run short, and being killed too easily. Then when you think you've reached that point of certainty, you can lay off the Constitution and focus more on Strength, and other stats because leater on is when you'll really need Strength.

As for Elwyn, I'll just reiterate what Eric said (as he's correct). Elwyn needs SP, plain and simple, if she's going to be using Rapid Fire, but once she reached that point where 130 or so is enough for each level (because your SP regains when you enter a new level), then you lay off and spend points on other stats. If one stat for Elwyn is going to be relatively higher than the other three, you want it to be Strength. As Eric mentioned, 70-80 Agility to plenty for her (especially when she receives Sure-Kill, as it adds accuracy), so her Strength can be upped signifigantly. As for Elwyn bumping her Constitution up earlier on, I would rely on it too much. Remember she's going to be behind Xion a lot (she'll still get hit of course), so don't spend too many point on it. Actually I think her HP should be about the same as her SP (about 120-155 or so).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 2005 12:08am
by Skippy
hey guys what skills and stats should i up for keiner ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 2005 5:38am
by ChillinVillain
Well, I can't really say much about him, as I think he sucks. I'll try though. Let's see, first off he's kind of lacking in the defense department, and he basically relys on his attack power. He's going to need minimal SP, so I would say don't worry about Intelligence. He's not a very fast character, but upping Agility won't hurt as he misses a lot, and gets hit quite a bit. Overall though try to focus more on Strength and Consitition most. Mostly Strength to dig even deeper. He'll need a lot of Consititution to make up for his poor defense and such, depending on what he's wearing as well. But overall, up Strength as much as possible as he relys mostly on his attack as I mentioned.

Now Skills. For his Single Skills, pretty much just put points on Moon Dance. For his Link attacks, up mostly Twin Moon Wave. And spend points on all his Auto Skills. Especially Attack Up and Chain Power, because again, he's an attack based character. Elusion's good if you feel he's getting hit too often, and Stun is always good. For his Skills, focus most on his Auto Skills. Don't work so hard on Moon Dance as he won't have much SP to back it up with, and I wouldn't even worry about Link attack(s) because, like Eric, I don't use much Link attacks (I use them more often when I play with a buddy though, and not the AI).

Again, I don't use him much, and I actually think he's one of the worst characters, so I'm probably not the guy to ask on this one, but I'm always willing to help all I can. Hopefully someone else will have some feedback.

We should actually be using spoilers for Keiner, I think, but it's all good I'm sure. Sorry if we spoiled anything for anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 2005 6:01am
by Skippy
o crud i completely forgot about the spoilers, sorry if i spoiled anything for anyone. lol i just wanted to use him cause he looked cool. btw are the things sold at the armor shop random, because i can't seem to find things like robes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 2005 6:09am
by ChillinVillain
He actually sucks in my opinion, but I'm sure he's not too bad when he's leveled up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 2005 7:10am
by Skippy
how many points should i put on elwyn's anti air ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 2005 8:46am
by Eric
Keiners final weapon is a life stealer. I have tinkered with his skills and most of them are trash, except for his auto skills that is. If you master his good ole, 1-2 attack then just beef up his auto abilities. This allows you to TOTALLY neglect INT. INT which raises MAG was once thought to increase your magical defense, but actually it doesn't have much impact at all as much as the XICE or XFIRE do. To me, his final Agility should be at least 80 to be comfortable, and since he has an evasion auto skill like Mao's along with life steal he should be tough. Otherwise, as Reinhart said bump up CON and STR. Also, if you feel you must have a skill for Keiners, consider a few points into Twin Moon Wave, as thats powerful for a linker, but setting it up is more trouble than its worth perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 2005 5:46pm
by Skippy
hmm i was thinking of putting all his points onto agi and str and giving him evade stuff like dodge brooch,illusion cape, and a helm with the tricky prefix.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 2005 8:49pm
by Eric
Magic will tear him down though. Also if he does get hit, you want him to be able to recover it with his life stealer instead of dieing in 2 hits, where you were doing fine one moment and dead the next.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 2005 3:39am
by Skippy
hmmm good point eric so should i make him a hybrid like xion ? with like 70-90 agi,str, and con ? o and btw do you think it's worth it to up elwyn's con to 52 so she can wear Inviolate Linger ? and also i've just completed normal mode what should i use my skill points on now for xion and elwyn ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 2005 9:26am
by Eric
ya Elwyn at 52 CON is just fine. That armor is a great choice if I remember right. For skills, you can go to level 20 now. I guess I dont have anything new to add. I like my Keiner to neglect intelligence and focus on the other 3, whereas Xion needed all 4 stats to a degree.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 2005 8:25pm
by White Rose
How about builds for Ryuna and Mao? They seem to be the ones I'm struggling with the most as far as deciding point placement. Ryuna doesn't seem to make use of anything and Mao seems to make use of everything. *laughs*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 2005 5:14am
by Eric
ok, let me make an update. On my girlfriends file she decided to rely on Keiners single skills more and I discovered an absoulutely awesome strategy, see if you can follow this:
There is a single skill move that attacks all around you at high levels right. Well Keiner's run he holds his sword out in front of him and it attacks people in front of him, you can interupt your run and change directions instantly but pressing and releasing R again correct? Well as your holding down the attack button to charge your attack you can run right through mobs of enemies and kill a few while charging up!!! then once your right in the middle of a horde of enemies you let go of attack and watch everything around you die, true samurai style. Then you hold attack again and repeat. This skill doesnt cost much SP so you can still boycott INT and do this plan, his auto skills are still great but dont neglect this single skill if you like the sword dash move.

Now Mao is in my opinion either the best or 2nd best character. She isnt too powerful but her strength relies in her ability to NEVER DIE. So the very first thing you do, I cant stress this enough is to level up her cicada's shell to 20 if you made it to advanced mode. you will not regret it once you get there, as you will ressurect 99% the first time you "die" and then you will revive 95% of the time after that. and not only that but it restores you to almost full life later on as well. So with Mao you basically have to die maybe 15 times on average before really dieing for the level. So if you thought Cicadas shell is what makes her so darn tough wait till you max out vanishing mist which teleports her BEFORE taking damage, this works for physical attacks, arrows AND YES EVEN MAGIC. Then all you got to do is increase evasion enough for her to dodge even more physical stuff and you will have your own personal tank. You should never increase her INT, but you should just focus on STR and increase your AGI and CON whenver you think they need more improvement. IF you miss twice in a row level up your AGI a few points on the next level and make sure that you can take 3-4 hits before reviving, that way your higher hp works together with your other defensive skills like cicadas shell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27 2019 7:41pm
by rid1ey
Shining Tears World Map for anybody who would like to put the Locations on it...