Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Team Shining force #?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Team Shining force #?

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Sat Oct 12 2019 6:40pm

Since Half of the team is already past level 10, should be we do level 12 promotions instead? Maybe just do Lowe and Khris at level 10.
Sarah MMNK99

Postby Antman 537 » Sun Oct 13 2019 3:43am

I'm down for that, but I'm also down for promoting everyone that can be now. So I guess it's a matter of if we want to let me do that or not. I don't remember how much of a power drop promotion carries in sf1. :shifty:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sun Oct 13 2019 4:48am

It's a 15% drop.
I think either way goes.
Or even, waiting the end of the chapter and promoting everyone regardless of level.

If we are not grinding, it's probably better not to use Lyle, Bleu, Alef and Torasu. Certainly not Adam.
So, by the end of the chapter, we shall have our 12 fighters good to go and all of them should make the final cut, except, maybe, for a couple of them, who could yet be swaped for Musashi and Hanzou.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Tue Oct 15 2019 7:36pm

Cool I'm not the only one who missed a character. lol
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Wed Oct 16 2019 3:59pm

Ok, finally got around to this. :shifty: Found a steel sword and elven arrow. Oddly, no one could equip the steel sword. Promotion weapon, perhaps? Guntz Joined the force! If anyone has a least favorite centaur, we can swap them out for everyone's favorite armadillo. Promoted Zylo, and Anri/Tao for kicks. Might as well get those spells sooner! :shifty:

To the battle! Wimpy fortress indeed. Pelle one-shots a silver knight and lvls to 10! Mae finishes off the other and lvls to 11! there's a bit of a choke point at the ladder, prompting the question how centaurs get up it at all. :eyebrow: Curiously, Mae was the first one to actually reach the top.

This is the most dangerous part; the enemies attack while the force is still trying to regroup from the climb. Everyone makes it out alive though. The centaurs mop up the enemy knights while the back line catches up. Ken lvls to 12! Balbaroy lvls to 11!

Finally, a chance to catch a breath and heal! The force now properly assembled, it' time for the assault on the heights! Balbaroy flanks the dark priest while Mae charges up the ladder once more! Gort engages the knight holding the chokepoint on the ground, just in case he decided to flank us. For some reason the injured dark priest attacks balbaroy rather than heal himself, so Mae finishes him off. Pele one-shots the hell hound and lvls to 11!

Meanwhile; Gort, Diane, and Anri have finished off the lower dark priest. Gort advances on the artillery and lvls to 12! Diane finishes it off to lvl to 11! But we should just leave her unpromoted; the promoted archer sprite is weird. :shifty:

Battle done; no deaths. Ken and Gort are ready for promotions. I think Domingo joins somewhere around here, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Oct 16 2019 4:52pm

Domingo should have joined in second Pao. It takes just a ride back there.

I think we should put him and/or Guntz in the force for a knight.
And maybe promote people with new weapons to use, like Max and Gort.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Wed Oct 16 2019 8:43pm

Should be able to backtrack before next battle for Domingo. Although he's pretty much an "I win" character against physical attackers lol.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Wed Oct 16 2019 10:42pm

First thing I did was head back to get Domingo. He's one one of my favorite characters, and he's pretty strong at this point in the game.

I promoted Gort at level 12. Ken is eligible too, but I wanted to a Knight comparison before I did that.

Uratanbol

There are a bunch of enemy forces still wondering around, but they've all surrendered, and no long have the will to fight. They mostly point us towards Balbazak, who is waiting at the harbor, and some of them seem to be routing for us to take him down.

The guy at the gate says that we have to rescue Earnest first. He seems to just be resting below ground, and offers to join us when we find him.

Mae Lvl 11
HP 17 AT 28 DF 20 AG 16

Pelle Lvl 11
HP 20 AT 35 DF 23 AG 15

Ken Lvl 12
HP 31 AT 31 DF 11 AG 12

Earnest Lvl 8
HP 20 AT 22 DF 11 AG 12

Out of the first 3 Ken is the most replaceable due to his horrible Defense. Guntz already has a defense of 16 at level. The Biggest thing we are giving up is movement. Guntz only have a 4 for movement. So I replaced Ken with Guntz. If memory serves me right Earnest does end up being one of the better members of the force right? I thinking of replacing Mae with Earnest, but I opted not to. He's pretty far behind, and doesn't seem like he will catch up in the next 3 levels. So I'll leave that decision up to the next person. If he has an awesome growth rate, put him in there.

I usually only go with 2 mages, so I removed Tao to add Domingo. I believe she's the least versatile of the 3.

Battle 14

This battle starts off in tough place, because it's such a small space. There are bunch of enemies in front, and there are 5 flyers to the east looking to close in on us. To start I moved Pelle and Mae to the front so that they can attack the 2 Knights in the front, set the edge, and force the enemies to come towards us. I started moving some of the other melee characters towards the right to get in the way of the flyers coming it.

The group on top set themselves up perfectly for a Blaze 2 from Anri, she was able to kill 2 of them with 1 spell.

The flyers took a little more time. Zylo seems really weak right now, so even though he was able to meet them out on the pier, he couldn't do much damage. So I weakened them, and saved kills for Guntz and Lowe.

After all of the other enemies were cleaned up, I headed towards Balbazak and his group. They are easy pickens though, because they don't move. I was tempted to have Anri take them out with a Blaze 2, but I held back to I could control who go exp. Balbazak is still dangerous though. He got 2 attacks off. The first dropped Zylo down to 1 hp, the second dropped Max to 3 HP. Once I noticed that he has health regen moved everyone in to attack, but I saved the final blow for Guntz, since he's the lowest level.

Max 12
Balbaroy 11
Domingo 3
Lowe 10
Khris 9
Gort 1
Zylo 1
Guntz 9
Mae 12
Diane 12
Anri 2
Pelle 12
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarah MMNK99

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Oct 18 2019 4:39am

Alas, poor Tao. She was my favorite, lol. :(

This time we're right into the battle! I didn't bother egressing because I'm still avoiding promoting Diane! :shifty: Haha, I hate that sprite.

As Noma points out, we start off surrounded; so my first order of business was to protect our weaker party members from harm. This is effective, if a little slow. Guntz lvls to 10 finishing off a seabat! Zylo lvls to 2 taking down a pegasus knight! Balbaroy lvls to 12!

Once the first wave of flying enemies are dealt with, we move down to the main deck to clear it of shellfish. Diane lvls to 13! :blush: Gort lvls to 2! At this point gens got stuck hitting the select button constantly, so I skipped a bunch of turns. Got it fixed though! By that time the first pegasus knight had showed up, and zylo lvled to 3 killing him! Balbaroy lvls to 13, too! I saved the last knight for Guntz to finish off, but the big goof missed! Fortunately, the knight was tunnel-visioned on Max, so I had plenty of time to try again. :thumbsup:

Battle done, no deaths.
Mae, Max, Balbaroy, Pelle, and Lowe are ready for promotion. :thumbsup:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sat Oct 19 2019 12:28am

Antman 537 wrote:Alas, poor Tao. She was my favorite, lol. :(

Mine too. :(
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Sat Oct 19 2019 10:01pm

I'll pick this up tomorrow or monday. Might be working 16 hours tonight. Sorry for the delay.

So battle went smoothly, no deaths. I didn't promote Lowe because well, same reason Diane hasn't been promoted :shifty: Everybody should be updated on equipment though

Levels:

Max, Mae, Pelle, Gort, Balbaroy: 2
Anri, Domingo, Zylo: 3
Khris: 9
Lowe : 10
Guntz: 11
Diane: 15(she's only one who wanted to consistently hit bats.)
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Mon Oct 21 2019 4:18pm

Pre Battle

The voice of the spirit says that the Shining Path that leads to the land of the ancients is beyond the door. It attempts to the open the path for us, but the mage uses the last of their strength to drop a few boulders, which we should be able to easily move, or maneuver around, but nope, the path is now inaccessible.

He tells us that there are 2 items needed to unseal the Dark Dragon, and Dark Sol needs them both. The Key to the door, which is on the Shining path, and we must head to prompt to find another entrance to the Shining Path, and the Manual in Dragonia.

It then Collapses, and recedes into the water.

I love that the King is shop keeper in this town, it's such a cool touch. But he's too trusting and need to lock up his shops better. I robbed both shops Blind for a Shower of Cure, Mobility Ring, that I gave to Guntz, Bread Of Life Defense potion, and I even took the Medical Herb, that I probably won't use.

I promoted Lowe, but I left Diane unpromoted, because I'm not sure what the plan is. Surely we don't intend to keep her unpromoted for the entire game right? If she reaches level 20, she will just be stealing exp at that point.

So the ship is repaired, and it time to set sail. The king asks for 1 million gold for the repairs. Choosing either option barely changes the dialogue. He's just joking with us, and sends us on our way.

Battle 17

This battle was a bit on the easy side. We've been dealing with these seabats for several battles now, and they really don't pose much of a threat any more. Besides all of the misses. The conches poisoned Mae and Diane, and they had to deal with for a few rounds because I save a few 1 hp enemies for Lowe and Khris.

There were a few big level up. Zylo gained 5 and 6 to stats in a single level up. Maybe that's why he felt so underpowered during my last battle. I think Pelle gained a +8 to something as well. I really need to stop holding the button through and animations and watch a little more closely.

Guntz, Khris, and Diane are ready for promotion.

Max 3
Balbaroy 3
Domingo 4
Lowe 1
Khris 10
Gort 4
Zylo 4
Guntz 13
Mae 3
Diane 15
Anri 3
Pelle 4
Sarah MMNK99

Postby Antman 537 » Mon Oct 21 2019 6:51pm

My plan was just to see how long I could get away with not bothering to promote Diane. So far it's working pretty well ;)
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Mon Oct 21 2019 7:25pm

IF we keep her, with her being a ranged unit + Power Ring, there's really no difference when it comes to promoting.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Thu Oct 24 2019 7:03pm

The Shining Force reached Rudo, a town ruled by children, who asked their help in Dragonia, where a baby dragon was being attacked by Runefaust.

Max went to pray in the church and the laters got promoted. He went to a shop and got brand new lances to centaurs and armadillo. He climbed up a building to find a cannon centaur, who joined the band. He then went all the way down to HQ, to chat with Nova, where both decided to bench Lowe and bring Tao back to the red carpet. Now, they were ready for battle!

As the force advanced towards the enemies, it became clear the terrain would play a major part in the skirmish. Forests and hills were spread everywhere between Rudo and Dragonia. Zylo and Diane didn't mind the woods. Guntz didn't mind either terrain, so he passed his ring away to Tao. The mage enjoyed the movement boost and set fire to an artillery. The machine served as bait, as worms and mages were hidden in those woods. They got smacked pretty fast, after a combined effort from Zylo, Domingo, Max, Tao, Diane and Guntz.

The force moved onward, where just another ambush took place. Golems popped up from the ground and most weapons would make no harm to them. The mages took control of the situation and the golems were freezed or burnt right to the ground again.

The last line of defense was just outside of Dragonia. Domingo led the charge against the leader, while Balbaroy flew around to meet the Master Mage. As knights and mages attacked from distance, Max closed in to finish an artillery. That was just what the enemy mage was waiting for, and he almost took Max down with his powerful spell. Fortunately, the force counter attacked fast and hard, to finish off the wizard and the second artillery.
Only the Durahan and his priest were left, and they didn't intended to leave their spot. So a magic battle started, between Tao, Anri, Domingo and the High Priest until he was out of MP. Then, Diane got the priest on his knees and Khris steped ahead to send him to heaven. (hell?)

The Durahan was still still. So Tao and Domingo got most of his energy away and Mae secured the victory. Battle over!

Lv5: Max, Pelle, Gort, Domingo and Zylo
Lv4: Mae, Tao, Anri and Balbaroy
Lv2: Guntz, Khris and Diane
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Thu Oct 24 2019 9:43pm

Was hoping to promote Diane at 20 :lol:
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Sat Oct 26 2019 3:10am

Dragonia
When I entered town I ran into what I think was a small graphical glitch. The stairs inside the building are somehow visible through the roof. It later fixes itself.

Inside of the building itself there is a Halberd in a chest. I gave it to Mae, since her attack seems to be lowest out of the Spear users. Over in another building there is a chest with a Broad Sword. I equipped it on Max, and it raised his attack by 4 points from 31 to 35.

Inside the warehouse we find Bleu, a baby Dragon that is hiding. He seems to have no confidence, and even runs from us when we try and talk to him. His friend Karin calls him hopeless and then storms off. However there is a solider waiting for her and she screams out for help. Without thinking, Bleu rushes off to save her. The soldier demands that Bleu opens the shrine for him, if he really wants to save Karin, but instead Bleu attacks and kills the knight. With his new found confidence, Bleu joins the Shining Force.

Kane is waiting outside for us, but rather than just attack Max, he lets him go back to headquarters first to get ready. What a gentleman...

At headquarter I removed Tao, and put Lowe back in. I'd much rather have the extra healing for this fight.

Battle 19

The battle started off with 3 flying enemies directly north of our position. It seems dangerous, but they will only come so far, and then they won't even attack even if someone is in range so it was easy to pick them off.

The second group didn't move at all. They had 4 golems in the front row, with 2 master mages and a priest in the back making up a cluster of 7 enemies. I moved Pelle, Mae, Domingo and Balbaroy on top of the hill to attack them from range, but I should've brought Domingo straight on, because he easily could've hit 4 enemies with Blaze or Freeze 2 instead of 3.

Because they barely moved, I was able to get the party around the Golems to take out the 2 Master Mages before they could attack. But I nearly lost Max, and the battle in the process. The Golems surrounded Max and they all attacked him, bringing him down to 6 hp. on his next turn he couldn't move because he was up against the mountain on the 4th side, but luckily he had a healing seed on him that he's been carrying nearly the entire game, so he healed up, and I could breathe a little easier.

Anri took out one of the Golems and gained a 7 to speed.

The final group again did not move. I set up Pelle and Mae to attack the Dullahan and Master Mage from below to soften them up, before I started moving everyone in for the kills.

Kane is super strong. No one was able to do more than 10 damage to him, and since he has desoul I made sure to keep Max away from him. Judging from his attack power he probably could've taken anyone out with a single hit, but I got really lucky. For the first turn the priest was blocking his way, so he just moved 1 space foward, and did nothing. I killed off the mage and surrounded him so he couldn't move. For his next 2 turns he attempted to use desoul both times on Balbaroy and failed both times. It took 2 and half turns to get his hp down, but Janet was finally able to finish him off.

Max 6
Balbaroy 6
Domingo 6
Lowe 2
Khris 2
Gort 5
Zylo 6
Guntz 4
Mae 5
Diane 3
Anri 5
Pelle 5
Sarah MMNK99

Postby Antman 537 » Sat Oct 26 2019 5:19am

Nice work! I'm enjoying how our force fluctuates on the whims of whoever's turn it is, lol. :thumbsup:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sat Oct 26 2019 2:15pm

Great result beating Kane without a loss! :thumbsup:
But who's Janet? :)
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Sat Oct 26 2019 4:40pm

Lobo wrote:Great result beating Kane without a loss! :thumbsup:
But who's Janet? :)

Oops. I meant Diane. I always get those 2 confused. I guess they are basically the same archetype.
Sarah MMNK99

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force