Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Worst possible team?

Self imposed challenge

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Worst possible team?

Postby Wing Eye » Thu Aug 15 2019 2:28am

I'm thinking of starting a new game and as a way to challenge myself I wanna use only the worst possible characters. Who are the 11 worst characters in terms of lowest stats and over-all worthlessness?
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/phantasy_star_replay
Wing Eye

Re: Worst possible team?

Postby Tonberry2000 » Thu Aug 15 2019 5:11pm

Hmm, the thing is, outside of Jogurt, most of the characters are very usable. Maybe Gong and Vankar, if you get bad stat boosts... Diane? Hans?

You could not give the mages weapons or something, but I think you'd have to end up tweaking the game to your needs.
Tonberry2000

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Aug 15 2019 11:00pm

The thing is, even Jogurt's not totally useless. I've used him once throughout the game, and found he had use in giving more EXP to the rest of my party. By having one less efficacious character in the group, the levels of everybody else were higher by the end because of EXP being less divided. Sure, the same could be done by just using one less character (keeping one dead), but in addition to letting other characters gain more EXP, Jogurt was also capable of participating in small ways by having good movement to draw in enemy attacks, and even occasionally score a decisive blow or two without growing stronger, which is a benefit in this case because growing stronger could ruin that function of narrowing the EXP spread. Also, without needing to equip weapons or rings, not being distracted by trying to actively attack, and his high mobility, he can be useful for healing allies with items.

As for possibly bad characters, another recommendation I'd throw out there is Arthur, but only if you're planning on promoting at level 10, and don't plan on deliberately feeding anybody. Without purposeful grinding dedicated to him, there's no way Arthur can keep up, and he'll eventually fall into utterly worthless territory by never being given the chance to reach the high levels necessary for him to shine. As somebody who only feeds characters until they're promoted, and always promotes at 10, whenever I do use Arthur he usually only manages to make it to about level 5-8 by the end, about 10 levels behind my usual for every other paladin.

As for which characters are the worst in general, the best way to figure it out would probably be to divide the characters between their classes, and figure out who's the worst in each class. For example, Lowe's probably the worst among himself, Khris, and Torasu, so that would make him a solid candidate for a bad team. Try considering the same for things like archers, knights, mages, and so on. If nothing else, that should set a good foundation to build upon.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wing Eye » Fri Aug 16 2019 10:55pm

Yeah I know there really isn't a bad character in the game and it's doable with pretty much any team, I just wanted to try something different.
So far the team I think I'll take is:

1. Ken
2. Lowe
3. Hans
4. Gong
5. Arthur
6. Amon
7. Diane
8. Vankar
9. Jogurt

That still leaves two more slots though
Wing Eye

Postby Maeths » Sat Aug 17 2019 1:02pm

Like DomingoRules said, the worst in each class is probably the correct way to go about things.

I suppose you COULD add someone like Adam or Gort to your list, because, while not bad by any stretch of the imagination, they're woefully unexciting, no magic or ranged attacks or anything, plus limited movement (at least in Adams case). Don't think there are any worse characters to go with, tbh. One way of approaching it at least.
Maeths

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Aug 17 2019 3:41pm

I was actually going to suggest Adam as well, but much like with Arthur, only under stipulation. While Adam has incredible potential, he starts so under-leveled that he's basically worthless without considerable grinding. That said, he'd make a solid candidate for a bad team if just beelining through the game because he'd never have the chance to gain the levels needed to catch up with the rest of the party, unless he just by random chance keeps being handed finishing blows. Don't give him anything to boost his movement either, and he'd be even more of a detriment to the team.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DVthemaster » Sun Aug 18 2019 12:22am

I wanna say Lowe, Adam, and Vankar are the main ones I think of instantly. There are other ones under certain restrictions that can be pretty bad like Guntz and Adam if you dont allow grinding or anything of the sort.
:thumbsup:
DVthemaster

Postby Lobo » Sun Aug 18 2019 3:27am

Wing Eye wrote:Yeah I know there really isn't a bad character in the game and it's doable with pretty much any team, I just wanted to try something different.

1. Ken
2. Lowe
3. Hans
4. Gong
5. Arthur
6. Amon
7. Diane
8. Vankar
9. Jogurt

That's a good (bad) team.
If you're not grinding at all, I'd go with Adam, Alef and Torasu to fill the 12.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Aug 18 2019 5:48am

Lobo wrote:
Wing Eye wrote:Yeah I know there really isn't a bad character in the game and it's doable with pretty much any team, I just wanted to try something different.

1. Ken
2. Lowe
3. Hans
4. Gong
5. Arthur
6. Amon
7. Diane
8. Vankar
9. Jogurt

That's a good (bad) team.
If you're not grinding at all, I'd go with Adam, Alef and Torasu to fill the 12.

Well technically there's only two more slots, since that original list is omitting Max. As I said above, I certainly agree with Adam. As for deciding between Alef and Torasu, I'd say Alef would probably be the better choice. Having a third healer might give the party excessive survivability, and Alef's usefulness is very limited because of her lacking MP unfitting of managing her high-cost Bolt spells.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wing Eye » Sun Aug 18 2019 6:00am

Adam is actually one of my favorite characters, catch him up with the rest of the force and given the mobility ring and I think he is on par with Bleu.
I think the last two spots I'll fill with Gort since I don't think I've ever taken a gladiator to the end of the game. And the last spot I'll use Guntz and either A) replace him with Alef or Torasu or B) give him the Devil Lance to gimp him.
Wing Eye

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Aug 18 2019 6:47am

I always feel torn about Adam. On one hand, I love having a robot on my party, but on the other hand he joins so late and under-leveled, you can practically beat rest of the game in the time it takes to get him caught up, making him not really feel worth the time and effort.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DVthemaster » Sun Aug 18 2019 5:19pm

Not gonna lie Guntz has always been one of my favorite Shining Force characters to fit into one of my teams. Even though he can sometimes be really bad if not used right, he's just fun. And without a mobility team and no grinding he's a perfect fit for a bad Shining Force team!
DVthemaster

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Aug 19 2019 1:31am

Guntz is one I'll have to take your guys' word for, because I've never used him without boosting his movement, and as a result he's always been a champ. Every time I've ever used him, he's always carried the team much like characters such as Zylo, and Domingo, and is one of the few that I consistently see reaching Level 20 by the end without grinding.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DVthemaster » Wed Aug 21 2019 10:14pm

@DomingoRules! Without grinding and mobility boosts in some fashion Guntz is really hard to use. I would say he wouldn't be a bad choice for a bad Shining Force team.
DVthemaster

Return to Shining Force