Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Feda Emblem of Justice

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Feda Emblem of Justice

Postby DVthemaster » Sat Jul 06 2019 9:57pm

Can someone please tell me their opinion on Feda Emblem of Justice on SNES if they've played it? I've recently been looking at pictures of the game and it literally looks like a Nintendo equivalent Shining Force of the SNES era, excluding Fire Emblem. I looks good, but I would like to have some opinions on it before I sink time into it. Responses would be appreciated, thanks!
:thumbsup:
DVthemaster

Re: Feda Emblem of Justice

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Jul 06 2019 11:22pm

Its very good, is made by some staff that worked in SF1 and is based on a shining in the darkness spinoff manga; Graphics are good, characters are sf1 style but more dark, the music in awful, play on mute and keep some shining ost on background.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Sun Jul 07 2019 12:16am

I remember... trying to play it... but the fan translation... adding ellipses everywhere... was annoying... There's also an alignment system. I tried going for Law, but soon realized it mostly involved never fighting anything and just running away from battles, which was basically just slowly moving one unit at a time towards the escape zone.

With the latter being just an optional and alternative way to play the game, these two points are of course highly ignorable and it seemed like a cool game with an unusually dark story otherwise.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Sun Jul 07 2019 2:07pm

I liked the graphics, the characters, and the more-complex story.
Didn't like the battle system, the alignment system and the ost.
Seems it's an unfinished game.

It's worth a try anyway.
Never came to the end, but got pretty far.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Red_Shine » Fri Jul 12 2019 8:07am

Having worked with the team that translated the game as a tester, I believe I'm qualified to comment on it.

It has a very similar feel to Shining Force visually (but the palette looks a little washed out compared to the MD's) and I thought the music was a lot less memorable too.

The setting is different: Feda feels less magical, more down to earth, really gritty, which I consider an excellent change of pace from the cookie cutter plots Shining Force tends to have (except for Shining Force 3, that one is great).

Lobo commented negatively on the alignment system, but I think it is a strength. It gives you something to think about (high alignment doesn't mean being a goody two shoes; you stick to the mission).
If you want to go Chaos, by all means go for it, the game can be fun either way.

The roster is large, but you can't do things wily-nilly: Characters of opposing alignments will have no qualms leaving your squad (though the core is neutral and a number of characters will stay regardless).

That said, the game is not without its problems. A bug prevents you from training your healers in the same way as you would in SF (using heal on a full HP unit to farm exp crashes the game) and also at least one mission has a bug that keeps you from finishing it lawfully (a specific event trigger on the map never happens, forcing you to kill everyone and thus grow chaotic).

Another problem is that you have not one, but two leaders on the squad, and if either Brian or Ain kick the bucket, you lose.

Still, it's a pretty awesome game, and very much a game that is Shining Force in everything but name and
an expanded version was made for the Saturn, but sadly it was never translated. I always wondered, given the game's obvious lineage, if SFC would ever pick it up as a project haha.

Oh, another thing, be sure to avoid the PS1 "sequel" they changed a lot of things and it hardly feels like SF/Feda anymore.
Red_Shine

Postby DVthemaster » Fri Jul 12 2019 4:46pm

Well from all the responses I think I will try the game and attempt to enjoy the game. The allignment system I'm a little torn with, it seems it has some pros and cons, but overrall I'm excited to try out the game. I'm always excited to try something in the same vain as Shining Force, so wish me luck!
DVthemaster

Postby Red_Shine » Fri Jul 12 2019 8:42pm

DVthemaster wrote:Well from all the responses I think I will try the game and attempt to enjoy the game. The allignment system I'm a little torn with, it seems it has some pros and cons, but overrall I'm excited to try out the game. I'm always excited to try something in the same vain as Shining Force, so wish me luck!

Glad you decided to try it. There's a bit of a trick regarding alignment. You won't go chaotic if you kill almost every enemy (leave one alive) and then clear the mission as specified, and your alignment will continue to go up.

If you keep delaying and fighting generic battles (or if you kill all enemies to finish a mission) you will go chaos then.
Red_Shine

Postby Kalkano » Fri Jul 12 2019 10:56pm

Red_Shine wrote:Having worked with the team that translated the game as a tester, I believe I'm qualified to comment on it.

It has a very similar feel to Shining Force visually (but the palette looks a little washed out compared to the MD's) and I thought the music was a lot less memorable too.

The setting is different: Feda feels less magical, more down to earth, really gritty, which I consider an excellent change of pace from the cookie cutter plots Shining Force tends to have (except for Shining Force 3, that one is great).

Lobo commented negatively on the alignment system, but I think it is a strength. It gives you something to think about (high alignment doesn't mean being a goody two shoes; you stick to the mission).
If you want to go Chaos, by all means go for it, the game can be fun either way.

The roster is large, but you can't do things wily-nilly: Characters of opposing alignments will have no qualms leaving your squad (though the core is neutral and a number of characters will stay regardless).

That said, the game is not without its problems. A bug prevents you from training your healers in the same way as you would in SF (using heal on a full HP unit to farm exp crashes the game) and also at least one mission has a bug that keeps you from finishing it lawfully (a specific event trigger on the map never happens, forcing you to kill everyone and thus grow chaotic).

Another problem is that you have not one, but two leaders on the squad, and if either Brian or Ain kick the bucket, you lose.

Still, it's a pretty awesome game, and very much a game that is Shining Force in everything but name and
an expanded version was made for the Saturn, but sadly it was never translated. I always wondered, given the game's obvious lineage, if SFC would ever pick it up as a project haha.

Oh, another thing, be sure to avoid the PS1 "sequel" they changed a lot of things and it hardly feels like SF/Feda anymore.

Do you happen to know if the script in the Saturn version is any different? I want to play that version, and was hoping I could basically look at the SNES translation as I play the Saturn version, but I don't know if that's feasible.
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently Playing for the First Time: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Black Eagles Route)

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Red_Shine » Sat Jul 13 2019 12:32am

It is my understanding that the Saturn game expands the endings (I believe there is one for each emblem now; the SNES one doesn't have as many) but sadly I don't have anything concrete to say about the extent of script changes. I don't know Japanese so at best what I would be able to do is a cursory comparison at best.

Still, playing with the SNES script on the side is the best option one has right now, even if it is less than ideal.
Maybe SFC will pick up this game sometime eh?

Edit: I took a quick look at Gamefaqs and the Saturn version only has a character FAQ, but the author points readers toward the SNES FAQ for a walkthrough. That may suggest there are no significant script differences between the two besides the extra endings.
Red_Shine

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Jul 15 2019 7:03am

I never beat the Saturn version, but from what I did play it didn't seem like there was much new in regards to the story. I do know though that there are supposed to be new endings, and one or two new party members, so obviously if nothing else there would be different dialogue there. They also seem to have fixed the chaos bug in the aforementioned battle, because when playing the Saturn version I did actually manage to get a lawful clear on that battle by getting all my party members up to the top of the tower, albeit I think it required them all to be in a rather specific formation, rather than simply all being stationed beyond a certain point.

The biggest change in regards to story was that a lot of the major story segments were replaced with anime videos with voice overs, rather than just reading the text, but things seemed to flow rather similarly. Of course, I can only guess, since I don't know Japanese at all.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force