Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.1g) 05/24/19

A “alternate” timeline to Shining Force

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Dec 20 2018 2:04pm

No worries. I'm gonna have so much fun with this.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby ShiningForceHero » Mon Dec 24 2018 9:40pm

I am very excited for this! Is this week looking feasible, or will the wait be a bit longer? :)
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 06 2007 9:05pm

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Dec 29 2018 7:34am

What's the current progress report?
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby xenometal » Sun Dec 30 2018 4:58am

After much sanding and painting, Erikin and I (but mostly Erikin :) ) have been hard at work applying the last coat of polish.

The plan is to release either on the 31th or January 1. Happy New Year in advance, everyone!
xenometal

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Mar 28 2006 3:05am
Location: Canada

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby ShiningForceHero » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:11pm

xenometal wrote:After much sanding and painting, Erikin and I (but mostly Erikin :) ) have been hard at work applying the last coat of polish.

The plan is to release either on the 31th or January 1. Happy New Year in advance, everyone!


Excellent news! Happy New Year!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 06 2007 9:05pm

Re: “Shining Force Alternate” mod soon to be released.

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jan 01 2019 3:31am

ShiningForceHero wrote:
xenometal wrote:After much sanding and painting, Erikin and I (but mostly Erikin :) ) have been hard at work applying the last coat of polish.

The plan is to release either on the 31th or January 1. Happy New Year in advance, everyone!


Excellent news! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year indeed!

SFA is finally out!
Erikin84

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jan 01 2019 4:16am

If I'd known you were allowing other people to playtest it I would've volunteered. No matter.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jan 01 2019 4:29am

Runesamurai wrote:If I'd known you were allowing other people to playtest it I would've volunteered. No matter.

I only had a select amount of people playtesting, didn't want too many hands on it.
Erikin84

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby PlayerLin » Tue Jan 01 2019 9:34am

Wow, I like the idea about genderswapping but...well, not expect it happens on Max. But why not. :P

Is it normal use in-game saving and restart the game caused game freeze/just not working(no game saved) at all?
I'm using Fusion 3.64, just not sure if my patched ROM does working or not.

At least save-state still working...country setting is USA for sure(since the game only boots when set to USA).
PlayerLin

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006 2:43pm
Location: Xinzhuang district, New Taipei City, Taiwan

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jan 01 2019 10:10am

PlayerLin wrote:Wow, I like the idea about genderswapping but...well, not expect it happens on Max. But why not. :P

Is it normal use in-game saving and restart the game caused game freeze/just not working(no game saved) at all?
I'm using Fusion 3.64, just not sure if my patched ROM does working or not.

At least save-state still working...country setting is USA for sure(since the game only boots when set to USA).


It may be a symptom of it being expanded to 6mb. I personally use the GENS emulator and I recommend keeping a savestate for your progress.
Erikin84

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby PlayerLin » Tue Jan 01 2019 11:27am

Erikin84 wrote:It may be a symptom of it being expanded to 6mb. I personally use the GENS emulator and I recommend keeping a savestate for your progress.


Understand, using savestates on my playthrough, right now I finished battle 4...that fight just hard for me... :(

I found a little typo when talk to the Alterone king after battle 4...see the attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PlayerLin

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006 2:43pm
Location: Xinzhuang district, New Taipei City, Taiwan

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Bela B. » Tue Jan 01 2019 12:22pm

I've been waiting for months for the released, and now I can't get it to run :(

After applying the patch, I always get Checksum Error on KEGA Fusion and also on Gens it doesn't start. I have used an unmodified ROM of course.

Edit: Just figured it out.
It seems to be important to get the ROM with the .bin and not the .smd ending
Bela B.

Member
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 15 2004 2:37pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby ShiningForceHero » Wed Jan 02 2019 3:44am

Enjoying the mod so far! Only thing I wanted to mention was in Luke's dialogue. When he says his name, it isn't capitalized. Very small thing, but something I thought worth mentioning.

Thank you for all the work you put into this :)

Edit: Also, while I read thru it quickly, I believe you have the Spirit at Manarina say "Waral, and Island kingdom," it should be "Waral, an Island kingdom."
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 06 2007 9:05pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Jan 03 2019 8:53pm

I'mma do a second playthrough of this.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Jan 05 2019 5:35am

ShiningForceHero wrote:Enjoying the mod so far! Only thing I wanted to mention was in Luke's dialogue. When he says his name, it isn't capitalized. Very small thing, but something I thought worth mentioning.

Thank you for all the work you put into this :)

Edit: Also, while I read thru it quickly, I believe you have the Spirit at Manarina say "Waral, and Island kingdom," it should be "Waral, an Island kingdom."


Thanks, I will correct that for the next update.
Erikin84

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Jan 05 2019 6:58am

I can't wait to see how far this comes. If you don't mind a little criticism I have to say that I feel like setting the level cap to 15 and forcing us to wait till after the Waral fight to promote makes the game harder than it really should be. Was your goal to encourage strategy and tactical gameplay perhaps? I felt forced to use the Turtle Dust on certain bosses.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.0) 12/31/18

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Jan 05 2019 8:03pm

Runesamurai wrote:I can't wait to see how far this comes. If you don't mind a little criticism I have to say that I feel like setting the level cap to 15 and forcing us to wait till after the Waral fight to promote makes the game harder than it really should be. Was your goal to encourage strategy and tactical gameplay perhaps? I felt forced to use the Turtle Dust on certain bosses.


It’s meant to be played without grinding, I’ve been able to get through each battle without grinding levels and that’s where I landed after each playthrough. As for the turtle dust, he’s, some bosses will require debuffing first.
Erikin84

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 06 2018 2:53am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.1) 01/05/18

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Jan 05 2019 8:34pm

That kind of takes away an important fundamental of RPGs. It was something I always hated about the older Fire Emblems.

Most RPGs let you grind. Fire Emblem doesn't. I was glad they fixed that in the later games.
It's always been in my nature to grind and get all the best stuff whenever I play an RPG. Whether it's using broken skills or just getting op. And that likely makes me lose out on the enjoyment the series is meant to offer. I still enjoy the games, but find it frustrating if I'm self-crippling myself to create a difficulty.

And it's not like we have to grind. I'm just saying I think the mod would be better if you gave people like me the option to grind if we want to. Shining Force has always been a game that encourages grinding after all too.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.1) 01/05/18

Postby gippuria » Sun Jan 06 2019 7:42pm

I am stuck at Chapter 6. After getting sword of darkness the game failed to update the event on Rindo. I could not meet Krin since the town is still at the same state as before fighting Mishaela. I also got this kind of problem right after getting sword of light. The game failed to update the state in Draconia but suddenly fixed after I randomly used sword of light on the map.
gippuria

Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 05 2013 1:18am

Re: SHINING FORCE ALTERNATE Released (1.1b) 01/06/18

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jan 08 2019 3:48am

Edited my earlier post. I do hope you will consider what I have said.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest