Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Original Art

How was it made...?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Original Art

Postby Wulfunruh » Wed Jan 18 2017 9:39pm

When it comes to Shining Force, I had read a rumor that the characters were hand drawn and scanned into a program which converted the battle sprites to pixelation... Does anyone know if there's truth to this, and/or how to do it?
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Original Art

Postby Oppolo » Thu Jan 19 2017 5:17pm

There's not good software to do this nowadays, and there certainly won't have been then.

The pictures were hand-drawn first, but they would have been converted to pixel art by hand - pixel by pixel. You could do a similar thing on any art program - just resize your image then trace over it on a new layer.

Look at Anri's official art and then her pixel portrait: http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Anri
You can see that they clearly used the hand-drawn art for reference. This is the same for all the characters :)
Oppolo

Postby Wulfunruh » Sat Jan 21 2017 4:22pm

Interesting. Well, I'll keep working on it. I'm gonna start with item sprites, to walkabout...and go from there I think.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ZethaPonderer » Sat Feb 04 2017 6:44pm

Sorry to intrude in this post, but I must say, this actually explains why the art design for SF1 and SiTD stood out among the other artsyles of The Shining series. Thanks Oppolo for clarifying on the details. :)
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force