Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Constructive criticism is welcome

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Postby ResidentLeever » Thu Oct 27 2016 3:15pm

Hey all,
I recently started editing SF1 palettes via screenshots to make things closer to the artwork and to the sequel, and now that I know about the editor I'm planning to make a proper hack out of the mockups. Below are some examples and you can find the rest that I have so far here: http://imgur.com/a/vDN8h

Right click and open in a new tab to zoom in. The order is Original>Edits, sometimes with multiple versions. Let me know which one you prefer!

We'll have to see about these darkest bg color changes

OLD: Moved some color around to remove the clown nose, different cape colors based on ending Max in third pic

WARNING: SPOILER!

I couldn't find a colored original artwork for DD so most of these are based on the below pics. Last two versions have an added shade, might not be doable.

There's also the GBA one, not sure what people think about it?
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:10pm, edited 8 times in total.

Re: Palette hack WIP

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 28 2016 1:47pm

Looks interesting.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Palette hack WIP

Postby ResidentLeever » Fri Oct 28 2016 3:26pm

Eyes edit for Lyle, let me know what you think:

Intro:

Portraits (some have been further improved since):
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP

Postby Sinful Force » Mon Oct 31 2016 6:23pm

I'm surprised no else has yet commented. Anyways, great work ResidentLeever.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ResidentLeever » Mon Oct 31 2016 8:38pm

Thanks man!

Most of the latest batch of battle graphics edits:

Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:06pm, edited 5 times in total.

Postby Helldhaz » Mon Oct 31 2016 9:33pm

It's cool to see the hidden background effects on the portraits.
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ResidentLeever » Mon Oct 31 2016 9:41pm

Oh those were added by me (along with most of the anti-aliasing - rounding of jagged outlines), but here and there there are colors that had such a dark shade that it blended with the black base color, or highlights with weird colors like for the High Priest enemy.

Postby Helldhaz » Tue Nov 01 2016 12:57am

Oh, well in that case you did a good job!
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ResidentLeever » Tue Nov 01 2016 10:51pm

Thank you.

Here's a sound test screen edit I've been working on for a bit, zoom in to see the minor spritework changes to the rooster and the guy on the left. I changed one of the shades for the rooster so that I could make the light around them blue, then moved a couple of brown/yellow shades around to make it not look weird.

Menu icons:
LTR: Original, GBA style (one with dithering to get closer to the gba shades), happy medium, closer to the original. Might not be able to do the dithering though.

Zylo promoted and Musashi with minor spritework edits.

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Nov 04 2016 4:25pm

I'm not sure about that dithered look since I can't see it blended in that photo. But considering that most play these games without dithering colour blends (which I never approve of myself), I say pass on it. But really, up to you. As I could go either way.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ResidentLeever » Fri Nov 04 2016 5:09pm

Yeah the shades are very close, so it's not noticeable unless you zoom in a lot (open in a new tab and press ctrl & +).

I recently noticed that the menus use the common palette, also used by town sprites and items, plus the force when you're not in battle. Which is annoying as I thought the force always used the force palette. I'll have to consider how changing the icons affects everything else.

Edit:
Apparently the menus use the force palette during battle, so it looks like they will look like this with the new palette I'm using. Please tell me if it looks good enough, otherwise I'll have to tweak the force palette.

I tweaked the force palette earlier to prioritize skin tones and edited all force members with new shades and tweaking to make the shading more consistent. I also took the portrait colors in consideration.

There's a dark brown in the common & force palettes that's used very little, so I turned it into another skin tone. The leftmost color is transparent, so it doesn't show. Note that the brightness will be the same as in the originals in-game, I was just using a slightly different palette when editing in paint.net.

Edit:
I've decided to do a bit of shading and anti-aliasing cleanup work on each battle sprite, so they're gonna take longer but the results will be nicer. For the cerberus below (and a couple of others) I've added one extra shade for better highlights, since most sprites have several unused palette slots.

Edit 2:
Probably final versions of most of the chapter 1 enemies compared to the originals, let me know what you think:

Edit 3:
As a test I made a couple of slightly redrawn conversions of the gba version items to MD, should I keep going or just use the originals? Will have to use the common/force palette above.

Edit 4:
First two spells edited.

Edit 5:
A couple of edits for guardiana, first town. Tell me which you like better or if I should change some aspect:

Edit 6:
I ran into some problems with the party/force sprites I've edited and have made a couple of compromised version edits because of that. Colors 11-15 are used by the HUD (wasn't the case for enemy sprites) and currently can't be edited since the predefined colors take priority, though it looked like it in the editor.

Would like to know if they're good enough like this (compromise version to the right):
Yes, undecided about the hooves.

Other characters (compromise to the right):

I think these turned out pretty well. My only worries is about the anti-aliasing being too noticeable and if colors 11 and 12 start flashing. Hopefully rubixcuber can help with that; those colors are used on Max without problems in the original rom so it should work.
Last edited by ResidentLeever on Sun Nov 13 2016 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 11th, 2016)

Postby projectego » Fri Nov 11 2016 7:49pm

Wow - amazing work, RL! I look the updated colour palette! Sega were very harsh with their Force member palettes especially, so it's especially nice to see you've made so much progress on that front. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this thread and your work.

Really - beautiful work, man!
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 11th, 2016)

Postby ResidentLeever » Fri Nov 11 2016 9:26pm

Thanks, PE :)

All chapter 1 items have been converted. Let me know which healing rain and defense potion style you prefer:

We're getting very close a demo release of the patch, with chapter 1 completed. Stay tuned!

Edit: Alterone map and battle edits, with some alternative battle versions:

Re: Palette/Graphics hack WIP (last update nov 13th, 2016)

Postby projectego » Fri Dec 02 2016 11:01am

The refreshed colour palette makes Alterone look gorgeous! Everything looks much more natural and warm. Love it!
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force