Shining Force X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09 2014 4:41am
by Tyadran
Hey everyone, this is a mod I am working on for Shining Force, called Shining Force X. It boasts new classes, characters, enemies, items, spells, and a whole lot more. It is still unfinished, but we are currently doing some player testing. If you would be interested in helping out, it would be greatly appreciated. Check out the latest posts to see what's going on!

Downloads:
Version 0.1.1
Change log:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Version 0.1
0.1-F is the version to apply to a clean game.
0.1-U will update the last version of SFX (3/22/2015) to version 0.1.
Change log:

Old, original post:

Re: Shining Force X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09 2014 6:15pm
by rubixcuber
Looks promising. I'll be interested to see what you are able to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09 2014 6:18pm
by Tyadran
Started Chapter 2, but running into some serious AI issues in Battle 5. Hopefully I can get them ironed out without too much trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 2:41am
by SaCred
Looks interesting :) Funny pictures haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 2:54am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Looks interesting :) Funny pictures haha.

Heh, I did my best. Just can't quite replicate that 'Shining' style, so I decided to just go with all my own thing. The battle sprites are a little more consistent than the portraits. :damnit:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 3:20am
by SaCred
Sounds good, its only chapter 1 so i guess i will have a go soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 4:52am
by Noma
Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 4:59am
by Tyadran
Noma wrote:Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.

That's fine by me. But please keep in mind, the more people who are willing to play one or two chapters earlier on, the more accurate and balanced I can make the difficulty curve. After all, not everyone plays like I do, and I want to make sure that playing in other ways and without prior AI/stat knowledge is still fair. There are a couple things specifically (the Ruin spell, Skarloey's stats, and Drios's stats come to mind) that would be great to get some feedback on.

However, I totally get where you're coming from. If you'd rather wait for the whole thing instead of play 4 battles now, be my guest. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 5:02am
by Noma
Tyadran wrote:
Noma wrote:Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.

That's fine by me. But please keep in mind, the more people who are willing to play one or two chapters earlier on, the more accurate and balanced I can make the difficulty curve. After all, not everyone plays like I do, and I want to make sure that playing in other ways and without prior AI/stat knowledge is still fair. There are a couple things specifically (the Ruin spell, Skarloey's stats, and Drios's stats come to mind) that would be great to get some feedback on.

However, I totally get where you're coming from. If you'd rather wait for the whole thing instead of play 4 battles now, be my guest. :)

I understand. Maybe I will try when you get done with chapter 2-3. I dont feel like its very accurate to base feedback on just the level gains and such from only 4 battles. And I wouldnt want to restart too many times when each new patch is released. But I understand you need feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 3:02pm
by Lobo
Seems to be a great project!
Sure to give it a try whenever I can! :) :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 8:24pm
by ShininGeek
i just started, and i loved sara's "my magic ...usually works"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 8:32pm
by Tyadran
ShininGeek wrote:i just started, and i loved sara's "my magic ...usually works"

Haha, I'm glad that you enjoyed that. :)
I like making characters 'my own', and I'm trying to give them some unique personality whenever I get the chance. Speaking of which...got to finish those headquarters quotes... :shifty:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 10:09pm
by ShininGeek
also, in the first battle, i used the wooden staff on the rune knight for giggles and... it healed him for 10 hp... i lost the battle later...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 2014 10:14pm
by Tyadran
ShininGeek wrote:also, in the first battle, i used the wooden staff on the rune knight for giggles and... it healed him for 10 hp... i lost the battle later...

...waaat. :eyebrow:
I will look into that now. I am incredibly confused, never had that happen myself - I suppose I never tried it on someone with no MP...

Anyway, the first battle is a bit more annoying now, and the second battle is incredibly difficult. Expect to lose each one at least once (I always do) unless you Egress. I'm just too stubborn to use Egress. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Okay, this is a confirmed thing. I screwed up one of my effects, and that made it start healing enemies instead of stealing their MP. I have since corrected this, and it will be fixed in the next update. I'm not posting a new version just with this unless someone REALLY needs it, because I can get through battles 1-4 fine without needing to restore MP with it. :shifty:

EDIT 2: While I try to do most of the graphics myself, I'm having some serious issues with the Falcon Rider images for one simple reason: I am awful at drawing birds, and much more so when it comes to birds with people riding them. If anyone would be interested in helping me out with the graphics for Falcon Riders and their promotion (and maybe a couple other 'Rider' classes? I'm really having trouble here), please send me a PM and I can shoot you my concept sketches and what I have done so far. I'd really appreciate it, and I'd like to get them all finished up before Chapter 2 gets released (where the first Falcon Riders will show up). Thanks in advance to any volunteers.

On that note, Chapter 2 is almost done - just have to finalize some more art (liiiike FRs) and run an actual playtest. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 3:29am
by SaCred
I am downloading :) lets see what this is like....hehe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 3:35am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:I am downloading :) lets see what this is like....hehe

Haha, I hope you enjoy it! Be sure to let me know all your thoughts! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 3:48am
by SaCred
I think the enemy AI just stands there? :) I just go up and bash them to pieces lol, Meow looks like hes scratching his arse haha. Skarloey pulled of 3 attacks? wow :D
Main characters outfit makes him look like a holy man specially with the cross on his shirt haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 3:51am
by Tyadran
In the first battle? They stand there to an extent. The Rune Knight and Dark Dwarves should begin moving once you get in range. The second battle, the AI becomes more aggressive.

*applause* I have yet to pull off a triple attack. Much less on Skarloey. He has a tendency to miss for me. XD

Main characters outfit makes him look like a holy man specially with the cross on his shirt haha.

Just wait until his promotion is finished - looks even more crusader-ey, in my opinion. Actually didn't intend for that, was aiming more for the Myrmidon look from Fire Emblem. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 3:59am
by SaCred
2nd battle was hard, i just lost haha. Skarloey is weak, delivering 1 damage per hit lol. Oh and the main characters sword looks like a cross :D definately a holy man haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:03am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:2nd battle was hard, i just lost haha. Skarloey is weak, delivering 1 damage per hit lol. Oh and the main characters sword looks like a cross :D definately a holy man haha.

The Rune Knights at the end, man. They're tough.
Yeah, but if you feed Skarloey some kills, you'll probably get some levels of +3/4 Attack. Also remember that he can use swords if you need a higher attack boost. He learns his first spells at level 3 and level 6 (Level 6 is his tank level. I always power level him to there :D). Plus you can use his Kagerou to cast Blaze 1 if there's a good opening. It only costs 50 coins to repair, or you can buy a totally new one for 200 at the shop. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:06am
by SaCred
okay :) I will go bed soon but resuming tomorrow for more laughs :)
Is Drios suppose to be blind? He has a bandage across his eyes, or am i missing something? :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:11am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:okay :) I will go bed soon but resuming tomorrow for more laughs :)
Is Drios suppose to be blind? He has a bandage across his eyes, or am i missing something? :D

Haha, I can't really answer for Drios. A lot of these characters (Drios, Skarloey, Meow, Fayne, Katchiri,...Tyadran) are the usernames of people I know from various places. I let Drios draw his own character, and he decided to be a blind archer. :D I figured it would be good for some laughs.

Oh, and if you want laughs, don't forget you're playing the currently broken version, so you can use the Wooden Staff to heal your enemies! Infinite Experience! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:15am
by SaCred
lol broken version huh :) I see the Leather Armor is a bit pricey ahaha well i did lose my main character twice already :)
I know of the Blind Samurai from Zatoichi but didn't know of about the Blind Archer :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:20am
by Tyadran
Broken version as in the Wooden Staff has the wrong effect. :( That will get fixed in Chapter 2.
Leather armor is expensive but worth it if you plan to survive. Throughout the game, Attack will tend to outpace Defense, so it's usually a wise decision to boost DEF when you can. Besides, you can use the armor to Heal 1 yourself in a pinch. :)

EDIT:
Well, ATT will outpace DEF...unless you make Alan a permanent member of the Force. Dang, that guy's a tank. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:24am
by SaCred
aha nice :) Fayne looks like she got her top the wrong way round lol, is Matt suppose to be a Centaur? He looks more like a knight.
Im on battle 3 and the Giant Bats are annoying, they keep dodging more attacks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:27am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:aha nice :) Fayne looks like she got her top the wrong way round lol, is Matt suppose to be a Centaur? He looks more like a knight.

Matt is not supposed to be a centaur... You know how I mentioned I can't draw birds? That applies to horses too. So no horsey knights for the moment, at least. :damnit:
For Fayne, are you talking in-battle? I...hmm. I don't think it looks that weird. Meh, I might rework her sprite.

SaCred wrote:Im on battle 3 and the Giant Bats are annoying, they keep dodging more attacks!

Believe it or not, I actually made no changes to the Bats besides HP and MP. I have no idea why they seem to dodge so much more frequently. :damnit:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:30am
by SaCred
haha okay :) i mean its a good change, Drios died in 1 hit from the Knights :( this guy better be superior than Hans hahaha :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:34am
by Tyadran
He's superior to Hans in Attack, for sure. He's one of the strongest members in Chapter 1. Possibly THE strongest? I can't remember. His HP and Defense is absolutely awful though, so I always use my HP and DEF boosters (like that Armor...) on him. :)

EDIT: Just checked his ATT curve. He ends up with 26 at Level 20 unpromoted, and the next best are Tyadran and Skarloey with 23. He's your starting-party "glass cannon". :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:36am
by SaCred
i see :) I should of used my Power Potions on Skarloey because his cannon like attack is pants at the moment.
I do like the cannon coming out of his hand when healing too haha. I also noticed the main character turns into Max when the girl pushes him into the water to get the Power Potion :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:37am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:i see :) I should of used my Power Potions on Skarloey because his cannon like attack is pants at the moment.
I do like the cannon coming out of his hand when healing too haha. I also noticed the main character turns into Max when the girl pushes him into the water to get the Power Potion :D

What level is your Skarloey, by the way? Get him to Level 6 so he learns Ruin, and you will totally forget about his lame ATT. :excited:
And yeah, I still have to do that sprite. XD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:40am
by SaCred
haah :D hes level 3 at the moment, just got Heal :D on battle 4 and picked up Katchiri :) Never knew healers could use swords haha :D

Right im off to bed, will play tomorrow for another laugh :) Good night mate and great mod! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:44am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:haah :D hes level 3 at the moment, just got Heal :D on battle 4 and picked up Katchiri :) Never knew healers could use swords haha :D

Right im off to bed, will play tomorrow for another laugh :) Good night mate and great mod! :)

Yeah, Healers using swords was mentioned in the "Please Read" section above the download. :) I was always irritated by how hard it is to level Healers, so I wanted to give them more of a 'fighting' chance, if you'll pardon the pun. :D Katchiri's ATT is actually pretty boss.

Have a good night, and thanks for the feedback. It's fun to follow along with your play. :) Glad you like it! :D

EDIT:
Just had to share these portraits because I'm so happy with how they turned out...
Meet Vulcan and Elaine! :D
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 2:15pm
by SaCred
lol :) Earnest's younger bro or son haha. Elaine looks a bit like Sephiroth :D

right time to play a few more.

Edit: lol, was on that battle and the Bat attacked me......Screen went black?? wtf lol.
This problem happened on Doomblade's mod too when the colossus attacked me and screen just goes black.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:32pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:lol :) Earnest's younger bro or son haha. Elaine looks a bit like Sephiroth :D

right time to play a few more.

Edit: lol, was on that battle and the Bat attacked me......Screen went black?? wtf lol.
This problem happened on Doomblade's mod too when the colossus attacked me and screen just goes black.

Battle 3 or 4? I've never had that issue before, but I'm doing a playthrough right now before I release Chapter 2, and I'll check it out. It'd be great help to know which battle it is. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm assuming it's 4, since you have Katchiri. :damnit: I'm on Battle 3 right now, so I should be able to check it out soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:45pm
by SaCred
Yeah its when Katchiri rescues you from the prison and then the battle commences when you go outside.
I was doing well, Giant Bat attacked my Meow like 5-6 times, and then all of a sudden, the screen goes black lol.
Black Screen of Death lolol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:48pm
by Tyadran
It may take me a while, these Dark Dwarves on the road to Alterone are really giving me crap. :damnit:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 4:58pm
by SaCred
lol :) Maybe is it possible to remove the Bats and replace them with more Dark Dwarves or Knights? Damn those Knights hit hard!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 5:16pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:lol :) Maybe is it possible to remove the Bats and replace them with more Dark Dwarves or Knights? Damn those Knights hit hard!

Yeah, that's totally possible...I just want to verify that I get the issue too, and that it isn't just a random 'sometimes' crash. And yeah, they do! Spear + Power Ring, they have 20 ATT. It pays to check enemy stats - a lot of them have different equipment than normal. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Daaang just had one of the Rune Knights outside Alterone (the spear ones) hit Alan with a double attack for 8 each, left him with 1 HP. Very very lucky there. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 5:42pm
by SaCred
Okay :) Otherwise if its a random black screen then people have to use Save State after every turn lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:10pm
by Tyadran
Well, what I mean is that I want to see if I can narrow it down to one specific Bat or something. :/ And then just replace him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:11pm
by SaCred
Oh i see :) fair enough. What causes that bug?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:15pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Oh i see :) fair enough. What causes that bug?

I have absolutely no clue, that's the thing. :eyebrow: I've never heard of it before, and I've never encountered it myself. :damnit: Do you remember which set of Bats it was? The ones that go to the island or the ones at the upper bridge by the Knights?

EDIT: Also, what emulator do you use? I always use Gens, but I may need to run an additional test if you use something different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:23pm
by SaCred
lol i cant remember which Bat it was :) It was on the river and attacked me then it went black.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:35pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:lol i cant remember which Bat it was :) It was on the river and attacked me then it went black.

About halfway through the battle, and haven't been able to replicate it yet. Two Bats down, two to go...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 6:47pm
by SaCred
lol i didnt expect it either, just happened :) best to remove all Bats :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 7:35pm
by Tyadran
Yeah, I don't think I'll be removing all Bats just yet. :P
I just successfully completed that battle twice in a row (savestate mishap) with no issues. Unless you can give me some info on what emulator you're using so I can test it, or someone else has the same issue, I think it will stay as-is. I'm running Gens right now, and there have been no issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:06pm
by SaCred
Yep, i used Gens with Frame Skip 1 :)

Maybe i am just unlucky T_T;;

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:15pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Yep, i used Gens with Frame Skip 1 :)

Maybe i am just unlucky T_T;;

Hmm, must be. I always use Auto as my Frame Skip. I don't know, man. Just save whenever you feel the urge. Chapter 2 is...brutal. I think I might have to make it a bit easier before release. I BARELY survived Battle 5 with 3 characters left. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:21pm
by SaCred
Did you change the enemy AI? :) Thats one thing needed because the vanilla version is cake :D

Maybe consider changing the Character names? lol.
They all have strange names apart from Matt :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:30pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Did you change the enemy AI? :) Thats one thing needed because the vanilla version is cake :D

Maybe consider changing the Character names? lol.
They all have strange names apart from Matt :D

Yeah, the AI is changed. Besides that, we get Rune Knights with 23 ATT (and ranged attacks!) and Zombies with regeneration. I also had their DEF set too high, so they took 1 damage from literally everything, and they resist spells.

You will need Skarloey to Level 6 by then. It's probably doable without him, but... *shudders*

Names...I'm not sure. Like I said, most of these characters represent friends of mine. :) I suppose I could see about using their actual names, but then I feel like I need permission. Besides, there will be a handful of more normal names later...Sam, Ash, Edward, Lewis, Xavier...
But let's be honest here - Domingo? Guntz? Zylo? It's not like I'm getting that far from ACTUAL SF. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:33pm
by SaCred
hahahh okay :) Your friends have strange names then? :D Skarloey? :D are they nicknames?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:39pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:hahahh okay :) Your friends have strange names then? :D Skarloey? :D are they nicknames?

Haha, yeah, they're usernames that they use. Like online and such. And it's what we call each other by. :)
For example, here are a couple from the Kid Chameleon hacking community...
Skarloey: User Page
Drios: User Page
Haagnus: User Page

They're a cool bunch. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:42pm
by SaCred
Kid Chameleon i remember that game, was awesome :D
They even made a mod to that game damnnnn lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:52pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Kid Chameleon i remember that game, was awesome :D
They even made a mod to that game damnnnn lol.

KC and SF are tied as my favorite games of all time. :) There are actually a bunch of mods for it on there...
Kid Chameleon Stuff:

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk KC sometime. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 10:57pm
by SaCred
aha i see Wynn is the Dark Knight :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:00pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:aha i see Wynn is the Dark Knight :D

Yep, he's the only person included in this mod that has actually played Shining Force, and he said it would be awesome to replace Kane. So, it happened. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:02pm
by SaCred
I see :) I not got much at the moment to play much games so KC will have to wait :D how you doing with Chapter 2?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:08pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:I see :) I not got much at the moment to play much games so KC will have to wait :D how you doing with Chapter 2?

It's going pretty well. Have some screenshots from the circus battle (the one I'm testing atm).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:12pm
by SaCred
hehe nice Throwing Knives :D I see you like the green background still?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:14pm
by Tyadran
Well the green background is more of a necessity at the moment. If I make it black, it screws up the portraits when I import them. :( Hopefully I'll either find a way around it, or else I'll just make them all black once I'm done importing portraits (meaning having all of them done).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:16pm
by SaCred
Chuckles huh :) The sprite looks like Marionette ? Or am i confusing things?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:20pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Chuckles huh :) The sprite looks like Marionette ? Or am i confusing things?

It looks like the Dire Clown. The sprite had just disappeared (you know how it flashes when you pull up the status) when I took the pic. You can see two of them in the screenshot of the group of enemies. Trick 2 hits with the radius of Bolt 3 and does about 6-9 damage. Which is...devastating at this point in the game. With two of him, that's 12-18 damage on almost your entire party, and I can guarantee that will kill Katchiri, Fayne, Drios, and May at this point. Then throw in Marionette's Freeze 3, and...ouch. :damnit:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 2014 11:57pm
by SaCred
I see :) looks like an Egressing type of game :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 12:20am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:I see :) looks like an Egressing type of game :D

Yeah...except that I don't like to Egress. XD I'm on my fourth attempt now. Luckily not running TOO low on cash yet. :thumbsup:

EDIT:
And this is what happens when I try new strategies.

Fifth time's the charm. Now on to Shade Abbey.

BIG EDIT:
Chapter 2 has been released, as well as an 'update patch', which should allow you to carry over your save if you played Chapter 1. No promises on savestates. :thumbsup:

Some extra notes:
-I noticed that the armor effect doesn't work properly, instead casting Egress. This is not game-breaking, and should be addressed by Chapter 3.
-Vulcan and Elaine do not have battle sprites yet. If you attempt to play into Chapter 3, they will look like Balbaroy and Amon. Sorry.
-Some of these battles were seriously hard. I think I've made them a little more tolerable, but have not tested them as such. However, as I was able to beat the harder version (...after 5 tries...), it should be possible.
-Enemies that regenerate: Zombies with 20 HP (some have 20, some have 15) and the Ghoul. I think that's all.
-The Steel Armor is kind of overpowered and makes pretty much everything only do 1 damage to you. I'll have to decide how to deal with this. Until then, avoid buying it if you still want a challenge. :)

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 3:35am
by SaCred
lol what is happening in the first image? Somebody got ambushed in the middle of those clowns haha. Have you found out which Bat was causing the bug? Or will i have to use Save State on every turn? :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 11:52am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:lol what is happening in the first image? Somebody got ambushed in the middle of those clowns haha. Have you found out which Bat was causing the bug? Or will i have to use Save State on every turn? :D

1) That was my main character. Only Katchiri survived that battle.

2) I could not get my game to crash. Therefore, I have no idea what your crash was. However, if you made it through that battle, you should be able to update-patch and not have to play it again...unless you want to replay Chapter 1 with some AI fixes I made. Just savestate a couple of times in that battle and hope for the best. Sorry. :damnit:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 1:12pm
by SaCred
Lol okay, I will give it another shot sometime soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 1:22pm
by metateen
I'm ready for this release~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 2014 6:44pm
by SaCred
metateen wrote:I'm ready for this release~

Lol Metateen is always ready, that's when he's away for like 2 weeks :) Meta where you been hiding? Lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16 2014 8:41pm
by Tyadran
Just curious if anyone has been playing any of Chapter 2 yet, or if anyone besides SaCred has any comments on anything yet.

I'm on spring break this week, so hopefully I'll get some more sprites finished (Falcon Riders and promoted sprites are top priority atm).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19 2014 11:33am
by SaCred
I haven't played it since it crashed on me lol. When I get back from my holiday, I will give it another shot :)

I want to see Skarloey do another 3 hits lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 2014 9:40pm
by Lobo
I started to play it yesterday, but have not gone very far.
In the middle of the second battle now.

Great fun to see the new graphics to work together! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 2014 9:44pm
by Tyadran
Lobo wrote:I started to play it yesterday, but have not gone very far.
In the middle of the second battle now.

Great fun to see the new graphics to work together! :thumbsup:

Haha, thanks! I put a lot of work into the graphics, and I'm glad to hear it paid off. Working on this is on at least semi-hiatus until finals are over (about 3 weeks from now) because school is getting really crazy and homework-heavy. As such, I don't know when I'll next be updating it. :damnit: I will update it, though, hopefully picking up more once school is out for the summer. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05 2014 12:12am
by SaCred
Anybody played Chapter 2? Lol. I don't have internet on my PC bugger otherwise I would. You sorted out the bat bug yet? Lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 2014 2:12am
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Anybody played Chapter 2? Lol. I don't have internet on my PC bugger otherwise I would. You sorted out the bat bug yet? Lol

As I've said, I haven't gotten it to replicate. I can't fix what I can't see - as soon as I can see it myself and figure out what the issue is, I'll do that. I'd just give it another shot and hope for the best. :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 2014 9:06am
by Faisal
Though I havent played it seems awesome thank you guys who worked on this you have my gratitude :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 2014 3:18pm
by Tyadran
Faisal wrote:Though I havent played it seems awesome thank you guys who worked on this you have my gratitude :)

Haha, thanks a lot. :)
Rubixcuber made the Shining Force 1 editor, but all of the project work on Shining Force X has been done by me alone, which is why school is killing its progress for a while. :damnit: Anyway, give it a shot sometime and let me know what you think! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 2014 4:10pm
by SaCred
I like the triple hit which is unique to SF :) well I only played SF1 2 and CD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2015 2:47am
by Tyadran
So I'm somewhat interested in picking this back up after almost a year hiatus. However, as it's been so long, I've decided I need to re-evaluate some things about this mod in major ways, so I'm asking for some help here.

I would appreciate it if a few people (at least three or so) would be willing to record (in video or in notes) a playthrough of the game so far, which should be complete up to the Shade Abbey fight, iirc. I need to investigate some of the difficulty in battles and such after I got brutally murdered by Battle 5 multiple times in my own tests. I want to see how other people approach the battles and whether they're reasonable in difficulty.

In any case, feel free to mention anything else you think of. I look forward to hearing back about this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2015 11:39am
by Lord Oddeye sama
Here's my test run:

I stopped in the middle of battle 3 because fighting was becoming tedious. It's certainly possible to progress but enemies tend to take too many hits from my offensive guys before I can move on to the next wave. I may resume/restart later especially if you decide to make a new patch.

Bugs:
- The transparent area around the in-battle stat sheets is replaced by a green layer.
- The Restore Stone has the wrong effect, and it's only useable once which is weird for such an expensive item. I'd benefit more from selling it for armors and such.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2015 5:33pm
by Tyadran
Lord Oddeye sama wrote:I stopped in the middle of battle 3 because fighting was becoming tedious. It's certainly possible to progress but enemies tend to take too many hits from my offensive guys before I can move on to the next wave. I may resume/restart later especially if you decide to make a new patch.

Bugs:
- The transparent area around the in-battle stat sheets is replaced by a green layer.
- The Restore Stone has the wrong effect, and it's only useable once which is weird for such an expensive item. I'd benefit more from selling it for armors and such.

After watching that, I can see absolutely why you stopped in Battle 3. I had not realized how annoying those Dark Dwarves were to kill at the start, especially. They weren't nearly as bad when I was playing because my version had nerfed the Leather Armor. :blush:

About your bugs:
- The transparent area on the stat sheets is green because of the way I do the face images. It leaves that bit green instead of black. :damnit: That's going to have to stick around until all of the face images are done, but it's an easy fix after that. :thumbsup:
- The Restore Stone issue I actually noticed in my own playthrough and fixed on the master copy. Thanks for pointing out the overpriced-ness, however, because I hadn't noticed that and it's a fair point. I'll fix the price and maybe replace that chest to hold a Storm of Cure or something. ;)

As for a few other things that come to my attention in your playthrough:
- The Leather Armor is far overpriced for its new stats. I'll change that for the next version (as well as for the rest of the armors - I think others start appearing in Alterone).
- I think I'll put armors in the item shops and make it possible to buy Kagerou in Guardiana. You can buy it in Alterone, but with how bad Skarloey is at the start, I should give you some expendable ones. :thumbsup:
- Might decrease the ATT on Dark Dwarves. I did mean for them to hit like a truck, but that seems more like a train.
- There are far too many Dark Dwarves in Battle 3. I think I'll do away with a few of them. :shifty:
- Probably also going to make Giant Bats weaker. They're intended to be something of a flying MP dispenser, but they take a bit too long to kill in my opinion.

Any other comments that might be helpful to me? Anything about balancing or whatnot?

EDIT:

I forgot to also mention I am aware Fayne's talk/blink animation is pretty screwed-up. I keep noticing that and forgetting to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 2015 2:50pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
Honestly I'd rather give this another shot once you've adjusted enemy stats, but I guess Meow is rather fragile at first for a warrior. Skarloey can also only rely on using his tome until you can boost his attack, and that thing tends to break a lot... But I don't know how much difference swords make since I wasn't aware he could equip those. They're not big issues if you fix enemy stats though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 2015 8:15pm
by Tyadran
Update Here
(Must apply to a clean game. Doubt it will properly update a past version of SFX.)

Note that this version is not any longer than the previous one, it simply changes things/fixes a number of issues. Battle 10 is the last battle at the moment, right before the Laser Eye fight (Battle 11). :thumbsup:

Something to note about usable equipment: If it breaks, it becomes weaker. For example, from this update forward, Kagerou decreases from +5 ATT to +3 ATT when broken. I say 'from this update forward' since this update buffs Kagerou. Breakage rate was also decreased to make this a little less infuriating.

Change log:

Who can equip each thing:

Current to-do list:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 2015 4:16pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
Battles 1 and 2 went much better:

Edit: The rest of Chapter 1.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 2015 4:46pm
by Tyadran
Something went horribly wrong with the enemy AI in Battle 2. Those Goblins should have been assuming vaguely the same formation that they did your first time through, then had new responses at different triggerpoints...that's what I get for releasing the new patch without actually testing my new AI patterns. I suppose it's another case of long distance + high land effect = enemy too lazy to move. :blush:
Oh well, it's not like it totally ruined the battle. Just have to add that to the to-do list.

Current to-do list:

Edit:

After seeing the disastrous AI in Battle 2, it was awesome to see that the enemy AI for Battle 4 (the most complex battle AI-wise in chapter 1) went absolutely without a hitch. However, it's absolutely killing me that both Tyadran and Skarloey are only a level away from learning their signature spells. They need to hurry and level up already. :damnit:

It appears that the party is reaching higher levels more quickly than anticipated. This is making a couple of the enemy die just a bit faster than they're supposed to, but it's not a huge problem overall.

Update

There are two versions of this update. The one marked '(full)' should be applied to a clean Shining Force, the one marked '(update)' should update SFX 3/20/2015 to SFX 3/22/2015. ;)

Change log:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02 2015 8:01pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
Battle 5 went poorly.

There're also two wooden arrows in the weapon shop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02 2015 11:09pm
by Tyadran
Ouch, one-shotted in the desert... :( That's gotta be disappointing.

Fixed the double Wooden Arrows, not worth a new release since it changes nothing. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03 2015 8:52am
by Lord Oddeye sama
Tyadran wrote:Ouch, one-shotted in the desert... :( That's gotta be disappointing.

Fixed the double Wooden Arrows, not worth a new release since it changes nothing. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05 2015 3:40am
by Tyadran
Lord Oddeye sama wrote:
Tyadran wrote:Ouch, one-shotted in the desert... :( That's gotta be disappointing.

This. This is the best thing. Congratulations, good sir. You win. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 2015 3:53pm
by SaCred
Aha this mode still going strong !

I remember some of the characters can hit 3 times!! Respect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20 2015 9:13pm
by Tyadran
SaCred wrote:Aha this mode still going strong !

I remember some of the characters can hit 3 times!! Respect

All characters and enemies technically have
7% chance for second attack,
then 5% chance for third,
then 3% chance for fourth,
then 1% chance for fifth.
So 0.000105% chance to do five attacks. :)

Some characters do seem to beat the odds though. Skarloey really likes landing multiple attacks for me.

UPDATE ON WORK STATUS: Next week is finals week. Hopefully after that I can come back and hit this again. Homework has been hindering me lots. Would appreciate if anyone besides Oddeye also wanted to do runs or if he could make it to the Laser Eye battle. That's the extent of the mod so far iirc, and I want to have feedback on everything before I start messing with more stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 2015 9:02am
by Lord Oddeye sama
I was hoping my vids would spark some more interest but I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, have my latest attempt:

What's the expected level/gear for this battle? Right now it feels like over half the force can be one shot by those guys, maybe 2 shot if there's land effect. You can probably beat them before they strike but there's still a risk they'll act while you're taking them down, like what I was trying to illustrate above.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 2015 2:35pm
by Tyadran
So I guess I'm seeing that Rune Knights need to be nerfed in that battle. Personally, I usually manage by only putting my Knights and Warriors in their range, and using Skarloey's Ruin spell (which you just learned, if you didn't notice), but I'll look at taking them down a notch when I get back from classes. Honestly, I think you're higher level than I beat that battle at, and better equipped, but I ended up just making a run for Manarina with only 2 or 3 party members alive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 2015 6:09pm
by 2Tie
I'll be doing a playthrough or two in the next few days, might do commentary, might not, but I'll be sure to give some feedback :3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 2015 8:19pm
by Tyadran
2Tie wrote:I'll be doing a playthrough or two in the next few days, might do commentary, might not, but I'll be sure to give some feedback :3

Commentary would be awesome, but I appreciate whatever you do. I'll try to get an update out by tonight with rebalancing on this particular battle. Keep an eye out for it. :thumbsup:

-----
EDIT: Sorry for the delay, some personal stuff came up. :damnit: Anyway, got it finished.

Shining Force X 0.1

I'm changing the file naming format to make things easier for me. The version marked 0.1-F is the full edition and should be applied to a clean game, and the version marked 0.1-U is the update version that should update the 3/22/2015 edition to current.

Change Log:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 2015 2:11pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
I decided to restart from the beginning to account for the new stat growth chance for the healers. And this time I sold all my stat boosters instead of using them since the bonuses I get from the shop gear is more valuable right now, and that costs a lot of gold. Anyway I did my best to show how brutal this battle is:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 2015 10:34pm
by Tyadran
Lord Oddeye sama wrote:I decided to restart from the beginning to account for the new stat growth chance for the healers. And this time I sold all my stat boosters instead of using them since the bonuses I get from the shop gear is more valuable right now, and that costs a lot of gold. Anyway I did my best to show how brutal this battle is.

This battle is absolutely brutal, and it was somewhat intended to be. I always found Battle 5 to be one of the hardest in regular SFI for that point in the game, but I may have gone overboard with stepping it up a notch.

I'm decreasing Zombie HP to 16, and decreasing Dark Mage DEF to 11. That puts the Dark Mages on par with the Snipers and should make them a tad more manageable. Were there any other stats that were still a huge problem?

I'm shooting for doing my own runthrough of the current version tomorrow night to compare my personal experience, and I'll post this version after that. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Whoa hey I did a bit of a playthrough thing with super awkward commentary. Go me. :thumbsup:

Only made it through the first battle. Well, that was embarrassing. :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26 2015 10:08pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
Nice. Here's another video:

I'll redo the battle since I didn't think that the colored icon meant the power ring was already broken. I'd like to keep all my offensive power for this mod. Another mistake is that I misread Ruin's description and thought it killed the caster after being used. That spell would've made the previous battle less of a problem. But all in all this was easier and interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 2015 5:11am
by Tyadran
...I have absolutely no idea how I forgot to give the Stone Lions any AI. That is an insane oversight and I feel like an idiot. I wonder if something went wrong a while back and I forgot to save it or something. I'm sure in one of the older versions, they acted properly. But upon checking, they have no AI. I don't know what I borked.

Yes, enemies will only drop broken rings. Makes it feasible to get them but you have to repair them to make them reach their actual potential.

Ruin is a very interesting spell. I like it a lot. :3

Also, Casual Wear is an item for Tyadran. It gives him an alternate outfit when he is holding it. I'm planning to add some alternates for other characters later, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Please update to Version 0.1.1

Change log:

----------
EDIT:

Okay, how important is it to you guys that enemy colors and such match between their on-field sprite and their in-battle sprite?

I ask because it appears that there are 10 or so enemies that are essentially duplicates of other enemies (notably, Artillery and Dark Mage have 3 nearly-identical incarnations), and I'm sort of tempted to use those slots to make new enemies for some more variety. The issue here is that I only have 8 empty in-battle sprite slots (so at least two new enemies will be palette swaps), and that I only have 2 empty on-field sprite slots. This would mean that I would have to delete some of the alternate colorations on-field for existing enemies (so Dark Priest and High Priest might share a color on-field, but still be different in-battle, for example) in order to make new sprites for new enemies.

How much of a problem would this be for players? I know seeing the new colors is often a signifier for checking out the new enemy, but I get the impression that most people are/will be checking stats on most enemies they see, considering the enemy equipment variation in SFX.

Let me know what you think. I'd be down for having some more new enemies if you guys are willing to sacrifice some on-field information. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 2015 11:26am
by Lord Oddeye sama
I'm cool with any change that sets your mod apart from the original game as long as it stays playable.

PostPosted: Fri May 01 2015 3:33am
by 2Tie
I believe the GBA version had a couple overworld sprites that didn't match the battle sprites anyway, so I think it'd be fine :3

PostPosted: Fri May 01 2015 3:40am
by Tyadran
Alright, since people seem okay with it, I'm going ahead.

List of enemies being added:

Probably won't be encountering any of those enemies all too soon, but at least you know what to look forward too.

@2Tie: Is your promised playthrough coming anytime soon? I was really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01 2015 4:43am
by 2Tie
Yeah, i'm waiting on some good uninterrupted freetime :P

PostPosted: Sat May 09 2015 7:36pm
by Earl
Sphinx... is that male or female?

Just curious, since Greek gynosphinx was female and always chaotic evil, while the Egyptian androsphinx was male and... less malevolent.
And if you hadn't thought of that and haven't worked out a sprite yet, I figured you'd want to know you've got options.

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 1:14am
by Tyadran
Earl wrote:Sphinx... is that male or female?

Just curious, since Greek gynosphinx was female and always chaotic evil, while the Egyptian androsphinx was male and... less malevolent.
And if you hadn't thought of that and haven't worked out a sprite yet, I figured you'd want to know you've got options.

Gynosphinx is the plan right now, since that seems to me as the more common representation (at least from what I've seen). Perhaps it's just my background in Greek mythology. I mean, if people would rather see an androsphinx, I'm cool with that, but otherwise I'll continue to assume gynosphinx is the way to go. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 1:51am
by Earl
That's what you'd think (I like me some Greek mythology too), but you'd be surprised how many people don't know lady Sphinx even exist. Er... not that they exist. You know what I mean.

Maybe I'm being unnecessarily worried. Game players are probably more well versed in mythological creatures than the average Joe, a consequence of RPGs needing some variety in the hordes they throw at the player.

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 2:05am
by Tyadran
For that matter, RPGs show a bit of a tendency towards gynosphinx in general. Seems to be the case with the majority of demi-humanoid enemies, such as harpies and lamia.

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 12:43pm
by Earl
Probably has something to do with the male demographic for both developer and player.

Even though "lady monster with bare boobs" is something that tends to get censored.
Maybe more to do with "women are mysterious / dangerous / evil".

PostPosted: Mon May 11 2015 3:14pm
by Tyadran
I'll definitely be censoring to some degree, mostly to be on the safe side and because I'd prefer for myself and my LPer friends to be able to do videos on this without getting in trouble with YouTube. I'm not quite sure how I'll handle it, since I haven't touched these sprites at all, so we'll have to see.

EDIT:
So I think I just about finished up the idle stance for the Sphinx. Decided to work on it since it was being discussed. Thoughts? I think it's at least as good as the custom Force sprites. :shifty:
Sphinx.png

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 2:51am
by Earl
Some blue highlights and a smirk. She looks fun.
You know, except for the murder claws.

Seriously, I like the smile. Reminds me that typical enemies are so grim or serious. Sphinx got a little swagger.

PostPosted: Tue May 12 2015 2:54am
by Tyadran
Haha, yeah, I'm pretty proud of how it ended up. Now I just have to muster the courage for the actual attack animation. The idle stance is easy, it's the bit after it that I dread. :(

-------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

May have found the source of the crashes when fighting Giant Bats. It may be related to an error with the wake up message.

Not sure if I'll pick this project back up, but I want to at least put out a patch that fixes this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02 2018 12:11am
by monkbarron
You should pick this back up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02 2018 12:34am
by Tyadran
monkbarron wrote:You should pick this back up.

I consider it every now and then, but unless I can get someone to help me make some better sprites I'm not sure whether I'd want to continue. I'd like it to get to some higher visual standards that I can't really reach on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06 2018 2:45pm
by Runesamurai
This looks awesome. I can't wait to try it out. Is there any way I can help?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06 2018 4:15pm
by Tyadran
Main thing you can do to help right now is just to play what there is so far and give feedback. I think currently you should be able to play up to the Laser Eye before it becomes just old game stuff (so the Laser Eye fight hasn't been changed).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07 2018 3:16am
by Runesamurai
I'll consider it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07 2018 3:23am
by Tyadran
No rush of course. At the moment I'm focusing on my full-game overhaul based on my Kane mod over this unless there's a lot of people wanting this to be finished.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07 2018 3:33am
by Runesamurai
Tyadran wrote:No rush of course. At the moment I'm focusing on my full-game overhaul based on my Kane mod over this unless there's a lot of people wanting this to be finished.

I'd say go for it man. :) To be honest I don't like this one as much. This mod I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 2018 6:17pm
by monkbarron
Well, if the art you made is what is making you iffy on continuing, then I'd say maybe ask around a little for advice. Personally, I think it's great, and I hope one day to be able to sit down to a full version of this hack.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14 2018 4:34am
by Kennykiller
By christ you made this difficult. Not one mention anywhere here or on the dl page about applying these damned things to a bin rather than an smd.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18 2018 3:49am
by Tyadran
Sorry, I thought it was the general method back when I released this. I've still never used a .smd to this day so I had no idea. Hopefully you enjoy playing it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01 2018 11:01pm
by Runesamurai
Nevermind what I said earlier. Upon trying this I actually like it. Great new characters, classes, enemies and weapons. You should definitely continue this mod. I agree with monkbarron. Not rushing though. Your stuff is always worth the wait.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09 2018 6:17pm
by Urgat
Is this still a thing or was it abandoned (which would be very sad)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09 2018 6:47pm
by Tyadran
This project has indeed been discontinued, but has been replaced by a newer project that I hope to post about soon, so keep your eyes open.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 2018 1:41pm
by Runesamurai
Tyadran wrote:This project has indeed been discontinued, but has been replaced by a newer project that I hope to post about soon, so keep your eyes open.

Most intriguing.