Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Retranslation

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Shining Force Retranslation

Postby Dr. Doom » Mon Feb 04 2013 11:20pm

Hi all, my name is Mike and I've been around for a very long time here at shiningforcecentral. If you have been reading up on the other translation topic I have decided to finish the work that siel and mewseeker started. I have no way shape or form have done this before but with my computer know-how and rubix editor I'm confident I can do this. BTW no need for any posts of nay-sayers as that won't help anyone :lol:

Anyways, as of lastnight I completed my first step of compiling all the information they completed and put it neatly into a file I can use.

Now, I am currently working on the webpage for the script that will have it shown neatly in four columns for easy reading. Not sure where it will be hosted as I have not heard from Moogie as of yet.

Ill gladly accept any help anyone is willing to offer and I will keep you all updated with my work as I continue this journey of bringing a new shining force to us all.

Progress of total retranslation: 5% Complete
nova battle advice: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ukw6io5ovkyb232
Introduction:http://www.mediafire.com/view/?a78i344jo52brg5

Progress: 2/17/2013
Currently working on Battles
Last edited by Dr. Doom on Mon Feb 18 2013 4:24am, edited 8 times in total.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Shining Force Retranslation

Postby Special T » Tue Feb 05 2013 5:19am

If it's just an excel file you could upload it to either media fire or drop box both of which are reliable services.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dr. Doom » Tue Feb 05 2013 5:56am

Yeah it seems thats my best bet. its actually a word document, although i have word2013 i saved it as 97-2003 for everyone else because i doubted the majority have it yet.

it is just the introduction for now. it took awhile because some of the japanese was off.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?a78i344jo52brg5

i will add the links to my first post as well so they are all in one spot in the future
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Thu Feb 07 2013 6:29am

I haven't read through everything in the translation topic but going off memory, some things were cut completely from the script of the Japanese game when the localization process took place, correct? I think the GBA version flushed out more background info on Kain & Max's back story but was that in the Japanese genesis version as well?
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dr. Doom » Tue Feb 12 2013 11:29pm

here is a link to nova's battle advice. i manually typed in the japanese since i couldnt find the script anywhere which was fun.

i got to play the japanese shining force 1 which i found it intriqing that hanzou and musashi hidden spots are truely hidden. there was no wooden plaque to read or flowers on the tree. unless i had some beta version of shining force.

anyways i used microsoft ime pad and use my android tablet to write the japanese by hand so theres some errors unfortunately but i couldnt find the script anywhere.

nova battle script:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ukw6io5ovkyb232

now ill start working on chapter 1

its a shame there doesnt seem to be more of an interest in this D:
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Feb 13 2013 12:38am

Dr. Doom wrote:i got to play the japanese shining force 1 which i found it intriqing that hanzou and musashi hidden spots are truely hidden. there was no wooden plaque to read or flowers on the tree. unless i had some beta version of shining force.

That would make the job much harder. :shock:
It's something worth making sure, I mean, if it's only on a beta version or not.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dr. Doom » Wed Feb 13 2013 3:22am

yeah the only reason i knew exactly where to look is because i started playing shining force over 20 years ago and played it about honestly 30 times. i posted pics showing what i mean.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag103/d0ct0rd00m/musashi_zps5f612b97.jpg
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag103/d0ct0rd00m/hanzou_zpsa5fd9ac8.jpg
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Wed Feb 13 2013 5:13am

Dr. Doom wrote:its a shame there doesnt seem to be more of an interest in this D:

I agree, I figured this was something a lot of people would have like to play :(
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Daria » Wed Feb 13 2013 6:48am

You have "withdrawal" written in the battle 3 of Nova's advice. It should be "withdraw".
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Doom » Thu Feb 14 2013 12:29am

thank you for that. i have been feeling under the weather the past few days D: i did my best to read of these all aloud to hear the inconsistencies.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Daria » Sat Feb 16 2013 8:49pm

NP. All in all the writing reads very well. Good work. (:
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Doom » Sat Feb 23 2013 4:56am

Thank you, when i did the compilation of the translated works i put all the battles together into one file and i am currently working on that right now

Ill ask it here incase anyone reads this and has it. in the topic SF Character Translations by TheUnknownMarine a poster by the name of Kaz posted a download link to a hi-res japanese manual pic of lowe dragging max and i was wondering if anyone had that hi-resolution picture lying around that they could send to me for my own personal collection, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Boy did something SURPRISING happen to me while editing the battles for shining force lol. i was doing the beginning of battle 5 where nova says:

マックス殿 敵がいますぞ!
ややっ! あの者たちは
マナリナのまどうしが国をまもるため
あやつっているかいぶつたちですな
しかし グズグズしてはいられません

and when i put ややっ!in bing i got http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/psylockenano/Untitled.jpg. I SERIOUSLY doubt nova said that lol.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Sat Feb 23 2013 5:06am

lol nova you dirty little newt you!
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dr. Doom » Sat Feb 23 2013 5:40am

lmao, no wonder those monsters come at u with such verocity. it must have been ages since they had it lol

Shining Sex!?!
Sex Force!?!

idk but if i find more i will have to question the motives of shining force forever lol
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Feb 27 2013 10:58pm

Suddenly, getting the script changed by the localization doesn't sound so bad. XP
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Doom » Sun Mar 03 2013 11:49pm

lol, well maybe if enough intrest i can do that after i do the correct translation first :D
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Jarlaxle » Thu Mar 07 2013 2:28pm

I would be very interested in something like this. Unfortunately the only help I can offer is motivation. >_> Good luck with the project in any case, and take your time to avoid burning out. Would love to see all that extra depth to the story, especially if it were compatible with other Mods.
Jarlaxle

Postby Dr. Doom » Mon Mar 18 2013 12:19pm

yes, motivation is key, something thats very tough when i watch my 16 month old son everyday. He makes it very hard to sit down and do serious work but when i do get time i try my best to get some done

Hit the most terrible snag atm. I was upgrading my computer to a AMD FX 8core and the new motherboard I bought was DoA so I am still awaiting on the RMA to go through and a new one to be sent back to me. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have it back and I can get back to translating again.

Last bumped by Dr. Doom on Mon Mar 18 2013 12:19pm.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to Shining Force