Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.3 is out now!*

Kane has joined the force! Now with Challenges!

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.0 is out now!*

Postby Red_Shine » Mon Jun 18 2018 9:48am

Runesamurai wrote:I couldn't agree more. Now that extended characters is functional this mod has more potential than ever. I can't wait to see how far it comes.

Normally I would say Zuika should be added too but I never found him useful in RotDD and always dropped him for Hanzou as soon as I could because he was just not dealing considerable damage.

Really? Zuika looks pretty cool, so it's a bit sad that he isn't all that useful in practice (that said, if this mod eventually incorporates all ROTDD extra characters, plus the graphical upgrade, all the better eh? no reason to play the GBA one then, haha.

By the way, Zuika seems to be inspired by Tobikage from Feda: Emblem Of Justice for the SNES (great game by the way, had some of the SF staff involved with it) http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/feda/tobikage.shtml
Red_Shine

Postby Runesamurai » Mon Jun 18 2018 10:26pm

By all means yes. I'm always up for having more characters. The only problem with including Mawlock is we would not be able to implement the card system which would basically defeat the purpose of having him.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Red_Shine » Mon Jun 18 2018 11:04pm

That's true, though I guess Mawlock isn't the most popular of the new characters added, so it wouldn't be a big loss. Maybe the hack could add Nova instead.
Red_Shine

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jun 19 2018 6:27am

Nova is definitely a strong possibility. I mean I know it's possible to add him in fact.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.3 out tomorrow!*

Postby Lobo » Fri Oct 12 2018 3:17pm

New update!!!

Brothers Mod v3.3 features:

*** No more promotion sickness!
Promoted stats doesn't get cut in 15%.
Instead, they get raised by 10%.

*** New minimum level to promote!
Lvl 10 characters can't get promoted anymore.
Promoting window now opens up at lvl16 and goes until lvl20.
Promoted characters now receive experience points as a lvl+15 unpromoted.

*** Late characters already promoted!
From chapter 6 on, every character to join the force will be already promoted.

*** Force members and enemies attributes rebalanced!

*** New spell (range ability) for Adam!

*** New animations for Adam, Bleu and Zappa!

*** New promoted sprites for Zappa!

*** Yogurt Ring redefined!
No more costume changing, which actually used to brake Jogurt's animation in previous versions.
Instead, the ring will be equippable by Jogurt, giving him a battle bonus.

*** New opening screen presenting Brothers Mod!

*** New lines in Simone's text, quoting SFC and SFmods!

Link to the ips file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11KeGF ... mo64Jg82CU
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.3 is out now!*

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Oct 26 2018 11:53pm

I like the idea of challenges, gives you a new way of approaching battles, maybe one day these challenges can be credited in game.
Erikin84

Postby Lobo » Sat Oct 27 2018 12:17pm

To boost the replaying value of the mod and to post a real challenge to hardcore players, I just thought of a set Challenges to be achieved.
Will post it here and update the first post for all to see.

SHINING FORCE BROTHERS MOD CHALLENGES SET:

1. On to Alterone: Win battle 3 with all Rune Knights still alive
2. Not to use Blaze inside: Win the chapel battle with Tao having a full MP bar
3. Band on the run: Win the Laser Eye battle with all your 12 characters and at least 1 Pegasus Knight still alive
4. A Hamster to rule them all: Defeat Elliott with Jogurt landing the last blow
5. Rest in peace: At Ring Reef, finish the Necromancer without killing any ghoul or skeleton
6. A brother for a father: Defeat Kane with Max, Anri and Mae alone on the upper plateau
7. Burning the Wires: Finish the battle by defeating Chaos and 2 other robots with a single Alef's Bolt 2
8. Head of the operation: Defeat Colossus central head before the other two
9. Frontal assault: Kill Darksol with at least 10 enemies still alive
10. Perfect score: Finish Dark Dragon seeing Max special animation and with a full 99 HP bar

Anyone who achieve a feat may post a picture here or send me by PM.

Good luck, guys! :) :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShiningForceHero » Wed Oct 31 2018 2:47am

Been playing through this mod and really enjoying it so far. I've hit a hiccup though, whenever the ancient tower battle ends, Nova says to hurry and enter, and then the game resets...

Postby Lobo » Wed Oct 31 2018 11:44am

I had this problem more than once, in different parts of the game, and it seems emulator related.

If you can take your save file to another emulator, it will likely work.
If not, just send me by PM and I'll try to fix it for you.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShiningForceHero » Wed Nov 07 2018 12:01am

So I had that reset issue a few times, but managed to resolve it by using a different emulator like you suggested. Annoying bug but not completely terrible. I also had the ending credits stop displaying scenes about halfway through, so I never go to the little Adam and Max cut scene at the end, but not a big deal.

As for the mod: Definitely was a lot of fun! Things were very challenging, but never unfairly EXCEPT for Dark Dragon, which was a HUGE pain in the butt, and required save state abuse unfortunately :( I would suggest toning that fight down, perhaps by making the side heads easier to kill? As for the end game cutscene, would you be able to edit the cutscene dialogue at all? You could have the team mention that Kane stayed behind as well when they are asking Nova about Max (right before the ancient castle sinks), and then in the very final cutscene, perhaps Max could say something like "You think you could settle down here, brother?" before THE END appears. Nothing important, just adds to the flavor of Kane being there.

Some things to note:
- In the Colossus fight, if 2 of the three heads attempted a physical attack, it froze the game. This also required that I use save states so that if one of them DID attack, I could simply reload.
- Jogurt couldn't equip the Great Axe, nor could he equip the Atlas. The best weapon he could use was the Battle Axe (I never found a Heat Axe, which was weird, but I assume he wouldn't have been able to use it anyway). Was this intentional to lock him out of the promotional axes? If so, I suggest making it so he CAN use those. By the end game, he had become fairly useless compared to the rest of the force. He couldn't deal much damage, and while dropping some Aura 2's was somewhat helpful, I was really wishing I had just dumped him for Torasu, so that I had access to stronger Aura casts.
- Flare is way too expensive for the damage it deals. It was never worth casting vs Blaze 3 or 4. I would suggest lowering it's cost to around 15. This would likely be fine since by the time people might be accessing it, they likely only have 2-3 fights left in the game, and no one would be using it against Dark Dragon at all, since it would be the same damage as Blaze 4 for more cost.
- Did you edit the dodge rates of flying enemies, or was it always this bad? If you increased those rates, I recommend lowering them a little bit, so that they aren't so irritating. It got really bad on the ship battles with the bats.

Other than these notes, the game felt fun and balanced! Excellent work, I really enjoyed this playthrough!

Postby Lobo » Thu Nov 08 2018 11:23am

ShiningForceHero wrote:So I had that reset issue a few times, but managed to resolve it by using a different emulator like you suggested. Annoying bug but not completely terrible. I also had the ending credits stop displaying scenes about halfway through, so I never go to the little Adam and Max cut scene at the end, but not a big deal.

I don't have a clue on what causes the game to reset, but I've seen it in other mods too.
It's even more strange that's easy fixed, just changing the emulator. You just have to pass that sigle point and then may comeback to the previous emulator with no issue.

Haven't had that issue with end scene though.
Have you experimented that more than once?
Tried to change the emulator too?

As for the mod: Definitely was a lot of fun! Things were very challenging, but never unfairly EXCEPT for Dark Dragon, which was a HUGE pain in the butt, and required save state abuse unfortunately :( I would suggest toning that fight down, perhaps by making the side heads easier to kill? As for the end game cutscene, would you be able to edit the cutscene dialogue at all? You could have the team mention that Kane stayed behind as well when they are asking Nova about Max (right before the ancient castle sinks), and then in the very final cutscene, perhaps Max could say something like "You think you could settle down here, brother?" before THE END appears. Nothing important, just adds to the flavor of Kane being there.

Neat ideas!
I'll see if I can make some of them happen in future releases.

Some things to note:
- In the Colossus fight, if 2 of the three heads attempted a physical attack, it froze the game. This also required that I use save states so that if one of them DID attack, I could simply reload.

Haven't seen that one either, though I playtest it quite a few times. :eyebrow:

- Jogurt couldn't equip the Great Axe, nor could he equip the Atlas. The best weapon he could use was the Battle Axe (I never found a Heat Axe, which was weird, but I assume he wouldn't have been able to use it anyway). Was this intentional to lock him out of the promotional axes? If so, I suggest making it so he CAN use those. By the end game, he had become fairly useless compared to the rest of the force. He couldn't deal much damage, and while dropping some Aura 2's was somewhat helpful, I was really wishing I had just dumped him for Torasu, so that I had access to stronger Aura casts.

He can't equip large weapons.
For axes, he can use up to the Heat Axe.
He can use some spears and swords too. Give them a try! :)

- Flare is way too expensive for the damage it deals. It was never worth casting vs Blaze 3 or 4. I would suggest lowering it's cost to around 15. This would likely be fine since by the time people might be accessing it, they likely only have 2-3 fights left in the game, and no one would be using it against Dark Dragon at all, since it would be the same damage as Blaze 4 for more cost.

Maybe it is.
It may worth the cost if you're cast on multiple enemies, but definitely not on DD.
I'll give some thoughts on it for future updates.

- Did you edit the dodge rates of flying enemies, or was it always this bad? If you increased those rates, I recommend lowering them a little bit, so that they aren't so irritating. It got really bad on the ship battles with the bats.

I did edit some of them and they are not all the same.
Can't remember especifically the bats, but I may have raised them. Not sure.
Vanilla had some weird evading rates too, notably for chimaeras.
But in the end, it's never higher than 50%, so keep striking them and use spells whenever you can.

Other than these notes, the game felt fun and balanced! Excellent work, I really enjoyed this playthrough!

Thanks, mate! :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Previous

Return to Shining Force