Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.3 is out now!*

Kane has joined the force! Come out and play!

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v2.2 just released!*

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Mar 27 2018 4:00pm

I played his mod first. Then I looked at yours in the editor. I can tell I'm gonna love yours too.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Wed Mar 28 2018 11:10am

just started this mod wow the enemy ai is brutal i love it :D
only issue ive found is c or a doesnt examine chests u have to select it i cant rememeber if this is what it was like in original s force found another error/glitch the domingo egg wont pass on like other items if your full :eyebrow: also all items in cave of darkness have same issue
stefanos2k10

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 28 2018 4:11pm

Thanks, stefanos.
Changing the AI to make battles more challenging and enjoyable was really the main focus while I was making this mod.

I'm not sure if I catched right what you meant about chests, but if it's on having to select 'Search' instead of opening it automaticaly pressing the 'C' button, the original game is just like that.
Same thing on having to select 'Talk' to speak to NPCs.

Didn't know about the Domingo Egg not auto passing.
Maybe it's because it's a different event than opening a chest?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby stefanos2k10 » Wed Mar 28 2018 4:16pm

yeh thats what i thought lobo but all the chests in cavern of darkness did same thing could be that they are different also as color dot on chest is yellow rather than blue really liking the challnege so far just at the circus battle this should be fun :D just beat it alos circus chests causing same issue
stefanos2k10

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 28 2018 6:34pm

Rubix explained back then that chests on battle maps use a different routine.
The automatic passing doesn't work with them.

I think I stated thar in the initial post. If not, I'll do it now.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby stefanos2k10 » Wed Mar 28 2018 9:50pm

Must have missed it good to no tho thanks
stefanos2k10

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 29 2018 4:44am

I managed to get Ramladu's mace to display properly when wielded by a Staff User.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Thu Mar 29 2018 3:56pm

i seem to have hit a wall on the laser eye battle i cant get the pegaus knights to come down with out going so far that i cant get back b4 laser eye curb stomps me and they follow up and kill my team
stefanos2k10

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 29 2018 5:06pm

stefanos2k10 wrote:i seem to have hit a wall on the laser eye battle i cant get the pegaus knights to come down with out going so far that i cant get back b4 laser eye curb stomps me and they follow up and kill my team

Fun fact, Killing the laser eye is not a requirement in order to win. All you have to do to win is take out the Silver Knight who tried to kill Pelle.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Mar 30 2018 1:37pm

stefanos2k10 wrote:i seem to have hit a wall on the laser eye battle i cant get the pegaus knights to come down with out going so far that i cant get back b4 laser eye curb stomps me and they follow up and kill my team

It's sure a tough battle this one.
You'll figure their tactics after a few tries, but it's still a challenge if you're underleveled, as the pegasi hit hard and evade quite well.

Try sending out some flyers and long rangers to take out the archers and occupy those spots with characters that can endure some pegasi attacks.
The Laser Eye will then act against them!
The remaining half of your force can wait at the start of the bridge, out of the range.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Mar 30 2018 9:18pm

There seems to be a bug in the first sea battle. After awhile the square cursor moves to a certain spot of the map and then freezes. There are also other items that don't pass besides the Domingo Egg.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Mar 30 2018 11:18pm

Runesamurai wrote:There seems to be a bug in the first sea battle. After awhile the square cursor moves to a certain spot of the map and then freezes.

I'm not sure if this is a new one, but it certainly can be overcome.
Maybe it's emulator related? Which one you've been using?

If you can't get passed it, send me a savestate and I'll try to fix it. Only, I don't have my computer until Sunday evening.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby stefanos2k10 » Tue Apr 03 2018 10:55am

beat it problem was i couldnt get over the bridge to the eye before it set off cos the pegsus knights got in the way ive beat it now tho elliots battle looks dissapointign no new enimies lol i was expecting an extra batallion or two ;)
stefanos2k10

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 03 2018 11:47am

Well...there's one new enemy.
And old enemies are stronger and may have different ranges or spells.
And different tactics too.

I think you'll have fun! :shifty:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby stefanos2k10 » Tue Apr 03 2018 11:58am

yeh i just got annhilated twice they killed max in like one turn oops make that 3 times made it to elliots force but onl7 of my force remain maybe i can cheese it
stefanos2k10

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 03 2018 1:19pm

That's another hard battle.
Who's in your force by now?
Do you have the best equipment available?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Apr 03 2018 5:10pm

Lobo wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:There seems to be a bug in the first sea battle. After awhile the square cursor moves to a certain spot of the map and then freezes.

I'm not sure if this is a new one, but it certainly can be overcome.
Maybe it's emulator related? Which one you've been using?

If you can't get passed it, send me a savestate and I'll try to fix it. Only, I don't have my computer until Sunday evening.

I think I may have just figured out what the problem was. The game can't handle more than 20 enemies at a time being on the map. That's why when it tried to spawn more there was a problem.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby dedosrafael » Tue Apr 17 2018 1:54pm

Hey Lobo. I have registered to the forums to comment on your mod. I am brazilian also :excited: but I'll write in english in respect to our other shining force fellas.

First, congratulations on your work. My problem with Shining Force games is that I find them (today) all too easy, even in the hardcore modes, and your mod gave me a sense of challenge that I longed for. In some battles the devils beat the shit out of me and I was very glad, because I'm a solid strategist and would be the most badass Shining Force player if there was multiplayer. Heheh.

I just passed the ship battle and arrived in Waral. I liked the Seabat raid at the start of the battle :)

I'll make a short comment about my actual force. I leveled them all at lvl 12-13 because I'm not fanatic about stats and best promotion time. Curiously, some of my favorite members from my childhood (Gong, Kokichi, Guntz) are not on my actual force.

All my chars are now level 4-6. I'm a big fan of wizards and flyers. My general strategy in all SF games is to keep the less healers and tank characters I can - mostly two or three strong people at front, with the spellcasters storming from the back and killing 3 or 4 enemies at once.

I hate babysitting characters so with me there are no favorites, it's survival of the fittest.

Pelle - he was already badass on the original game, and I think he remains that way. Altough he does not boast a lot of HP, very strong attack and defense make for a classic and mobile warrior.

Earnest - more vicious attacking than Pelle, but with considerable less defense, he's a guy I use to terminate enemies mostly, not a staple on the front line.

Gort - monstruous attack (Heat Axe), his defense is starting to catch up. Not a lot of HP, had to keep my eye on him but now he handles to act fairly isolated from the rest of the force if necessary.

Anri - starting to build up some interesting MP now. I like how the wizards have low HP. But, somehow, Anri got a enormous boost in defense leveling up, so she sustains one attack from a fairly strong enemy losing only half of her HP.

Tao - girl is a killer, blaze 3 and almost 50 MP. She dies with one attack from anybody so I keep her safe always.

Domingo - monstruous defense, fair MP, got Bolt now, he's the nightmare of enemy forces.

Lowe and Khris - both are the weak ends of my force. Hard to level up because Quick (which I had to use a lot to survive after promotions) doesn't give XP. Also, both have low MP, which means I can cast Heal level 3 only twice per battle. Have to buy herbs and seeds for other chars and keep giving them those during the battle. They really lagged behind the rest, but I always thought they were stupid even without your mod, so that was expected. Healers are far more exciting in SF2.

Diane - my mighty sniper, just walking among the force and distributing long ranged death to others. Really liked how you made an archer useful at this time of the game.

Balbaroy - thanks for making a birdman useful, also. A fair warrior, unexpected defense rate (higher than reasonable in my view). Always good to have someone flying around.

Zappa - a great warrior, not as godlike in the original game, which makes me happy. Sucked big time after promotion, almost got out (if the others weren't worse) but now a great addition to the force.

:sleep:

Considerations about other members: I would probably still have Guntz (probably in Earnest's place) if I liked to babysit characters, but I have to pay bills and work and etc so I don't have time for that. I appreciate that he wasn't able to use a spear anymore, but 4 MOV is a though bargain.

About Luke, I took him out simply because I didn't want 2 gladiators and I hate his nose. Logic choice would be him in Balbaroy's place.

Gong was my favorite char when I was a kid but I remembered that when he got promoted he used a ridiculous cloth in his head and his attack animation sucked. Also, I thought that having 2 healers instead of 3 would add some challenge - and it did.

I was curious about using Jogurt, and when I read your mod description I thought he would join the force with some useful stats. But as I noticed I would have to babysit him I just gave up.

All in all I would like to say congratulations for your work! It's a great mod to play. :)
I'll add more considerations as I go on.
dedosrafael

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 17 2018 8:39pm

Lobo wrote:It's been quite a long time and today - April 17th - I can finally launch my Brothers Mod! :excited:

Today is the sixth anniversary of Brothers Mod! :D

And to celebrate the date, I'm happy to announce it's going to receive another update.
A big one this time! :)

And if it's about Brothers Mod, what's better than having two brothers fighting together? :...:

Yes! Kane is coming to the force! :shifty: :) :) :)
And he will be well armed and have proper battle sprites! :excited:

Thanks to Erikin's help (in fact, he's been much more a partner on this than a helper. :thumbsup: ), we're now very close to make it happen.

On April 25th, I hope to release v3.0, not only with joinable Kane, but with a few other updates as well.

So, save the date! ;)
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: SHINING FORCE - BROTHERS MOD *v3.0 to be released!*

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Apr 17 2018 10:51pm

I hope you included the new sprites of anri & tao and others of the graphic updated. Will be a new portuguese version too?
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force