Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Refix v0.1.4 (11/23/10)

Basic hack to fix bugs and such

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Shining Force Refix v0.1.4 (11/23/10)

Postby Lobo » Wed Dec 01 2010 2:01pm

Flygon @ Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 am) wrote: This is because Mega Drive games are not actually designed to be larger than 4 megabytes. To be able to go larger than 4 megabytes, bank switching functionality would need to be implemented... which is probably not going to happen. It's too difficult to program, especially without a disassembly.

It would only really be useful for streaming PCM background music anyway (Which would probably sound better if it used the Sega CD hardware... which... of course, won't be happening :p).

Well, as I remember, 4 MB would be the limit for original Master System games. Like Phantasy Star.
Some original Mega Drive games had 16 MB and even more, I think.
The original Shining Force itself probably had between 8-12 MB.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Thu Dec 02 2010 5:02am

rubixcuber @ Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 am) wrote: Alright, I think it should work now. It's not 6.5 MB for whatever reason at least.

I just tested the latest 0.1.4 version of this patch on real hardware and I'm getting some unusual results.

The game boots up for me but when it comes to the menu there is already two saved games in the 1st & 3rd slot but the data is garbled.

The the first save slot reads as follows

Ch. 0
,2C_

The 3rd save slot reads as follows

Ch. 9
%,AA

If I attempt to use them the game freezes. I can start a new game using the 2nd file and that seems to work, although I only tested it up to talking with Lowe. I'd also like to point out that I deleted the first save file and the delete process appeared to work however when I choose to load a game again the same corrupt save file was still in the first slot. These corrupt save files aren't showing up when I test this rom in KEGA Fusion 3.64.

I included the details on how I patched / played the rom in case that helps identify any issues. I applied the patch to the Shining Force (USA).bin rom with a crc of E0594ABE. I then burned the rom to my NEO Myth MD 3in1 flash cartridge which I tested on a US Sega CDX system.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Flygon » Thu Dec 02 2010 10:57am

Lobo @ Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 am) wrote: Well, as I remember, 4 MB would be the limit for original Master System games. Like Phantasy Star.
Some original Mega Drive games had 16 MB and even more, I think.
The original Shining Force itself probably had between 8-12 MB.

You're thinking about megabits. I am talking about megabytes.

Shining Force by default is 12 megabits, but it is 1.5 megabytes.

Similarly, Phantasy Star is 512 kilobytes while being 4 megabits. Also, technically the Master System isn't limited at all in filesize, it just depends on how you access the data. For example, NES games could go up to 2 megabytes/16 megabits with special mappers *stares at Action 52 :drunk: *, and similary, Sega Master System games can theoretically access up to 2 gigabytes of space thanks to the Sega Everdrive flash cart, but obviously, no software has been designed with that in mind yet, for the Master System anyway (The FMV playing demos are an example of bank switching of arbitrary space on the Mega Drive, however).

I know it seems incredibly nit-picky, but these myths regarding game size restrictions upset me greatly. And the byte/bit confusion is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, one last quick note, I would like to be able to see Shining Force hacks using the Everdrives SD access, but I'm taking a guess that that will never be happening until emulators can actually emulate it and when it becomes useful. :p
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did