Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Mar 18 2010 10:01pm

Huh, sorry Siel, been kind of on a break and had forgotten your question. I'll try to look into it soon.

To be honest I've been spending most of my time on my game. I have a 3D game I'm working on and generally only work on the SF stuff when there seems to be some life in the forums. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like things have been a little dead since the move.

Since there seems to be some commenting going on at the moment, maybe I'll get some time to look into things.

Last thing I was working on was graphics compression. I had finished a couple routines, but was getting just garbage data, hopefully just a simple bug or two to work out...
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Thu Mar 18 2010 11:01pm

Do not lose faith, Rubix! :)
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby tggrng123 » Fri Mar 19 2010 5:06am

Well I certainly look forward to more features. Like a map editor and other stuff. I think you should continue. I've been waiting for your next release for quite awhile. BTW your 3D game; care to elaborate?
I produce music. I can produce multiple genres, from hip-hop/ rap, r&b, rock, metal, jazz, trance, to orchestral and classic and many others. If you need any tracks just send me an email at puremadness_productions@live.com.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF1 Editor Thread
Renatob's Shining Force II NDS Tribute Remake Thread
I produce music. I can produce multiple genres, from hip-hop/ rap, r&b, rock, metal, jazz, trance, to orchestral and classic and many others. If you need any tracks just send me an email at puremadness_productions@live.com.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF1 Editor Thread
tggrng123

Postby Flygon » Fri Mar 19 2010 7:28am

tggrng123 @ Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm) wrote: BTW your 3D game; care to elaborate?

I'm also vaguely interested.

*ahem* Anyway, I can't wait for the next release, or more specifically, full graphics and text editing, I've got a few ideas for what I can do. ;)
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Postby tggrng123 » Sat Mar 20 2010 4:05am

Oh btw I have no idea if this is even possible, but I've been wondering if it were possible for you to add the ability to change/add music (probably using midi data and translating it into whatever format the Genesis uses for it's music).
SF1 Editor Thread
SF1 Editor Thread
tggrng123

Postby Flygon » Sat Mar 20 2010 10:32am

nineko has already released a tool that does this, sort of.

I have experimented with it heavily... and some music would port 'correctly' from Shining Force II (DAC issues aside), however, this tool is probably too difficult for a user without experience/understanding of hex editing and some knowhow on how the sound driver works.

The tool won't be refined due to lack of interest in it, however, and future work won't happen due to it covering all the games that nineko was directly interested in, so, we're screwed.

I'm personally disappointed the tool never got more attention.
The hexman of #sf2hack
The hexman of #sf2hack
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Postby tggrng123 » Sun Mar 21 2010 6:13am

Well damn... that sucks. I'm not good with hex editing but I am a pro at audio.
SF1 Editor Thread
SF1 Editor Thread
tggrng123

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Apr 01 2010 8:38pm

For some reason even though it says I'm subscribed to this topic, I don't seem to get notices anymore...

Anyways, yeah, haven't really worked on SF1 stuff in a while. I'm sure at some point I'll feel like messing with it some more, but right now just not feeling like it.

But, uh, as far as my other project, I do have a dev blog. Haven't given the link to anyone yet, but I guess this is as good a place as any. It doesn't have a whole lot of information, and was started after the project was already underway, so it doesn't have everything, but:

http://www.universeinabox.com/blog/
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby tggrng123 » Fri Apr 02 2010 3:45am

I'm checkin that out. It looks great! ^_^ I look forward to seein more work on that.
SF1 Editor Thread
SF1 Editor Thread
tggrng123

Postby nineko » Sun Apr 04 2010 12:10am

Flygon @ Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:32 am) wrote: nineko has already released a tool that does this, sort of.

I have experimented with it heavily... and some music would port 'correctly' from Shining Force II (DAC issues aside), however, this tool is probably too difficult for a user without experience/understanding of hex editing and some knowhow on how the sound driver works.

The tool won't be refined due to lack of interest in it, however, and future work won't happen due to it covering all the games that nineko was directly interested in, so, we're screwed.

I'm personally disappointed the tool never got more attention.

I'm up to pick up my work on the Cube/Iwadare music format once again if there's interest about it. That old music porter is very unfriendly right now because it was a test release, I wouldn't mind to spend more time on it to make it better.
I also considered to make a converter which could take a midi or an XM as input to make brand new Cube/Iwadare songs, but I really lack the motivation, as I don't see a goal or a reason. I've had a hack idea of mine (which isn't part of the scope of this forum, as I wanted to hack a Sonic game), but it was cancelled even before it started due to some impossible things...
I might find motivation again eventually, though I can't make any promise at the moment.
nineko

Postby tggrng123 » Sun Apr 04 2010 12:56am

nineko @ Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:10 pm) wrote: I'm up to pick up my work on the Cube/Iwadare music format once again if there's interest about it. That old music porter is very unfriendly right now because it was a test release, I wouldn't mind to spend more time on it to make it better.
I also considered to make a converter which could take a midi or an XM as input to make brand new Cube/Iwadare songs, but I really lack the motivation, as I don't see a goal or a reason. I've had a hack idea of mine (which isn't part of the scope of this forum, as I wanted to hack a Sonic game), but it was cancelled even before it started due to some impossible things...
I might find motivation again eventually, though I can't make any promise at the moment.

I really would love that! I can sequence midi with just minimal hex editing skills. So if you were able to do that. It would be very awesome! :)
SF1 Editor Thread
SF1 Editor Thread
tggrng123

Postby Special T » Thu Apr 08 2010 2:22pm

I was checking out the SF3 forums and noticed that BoneIdol created a a Save State Editor with a lot of interesting features. I know your editor changes aspects of the actual game and doesn't deal with game saves at all but I thought there was some really interesting stuff in there.

Somethings that are in the save state editor that I thought were pretty cool were... you have the ability to select any town you want to start at and also who is in your force / reserve list at any time. I think most of the other stuff is already editable in your SF1 editor but I just thought I would share that with you incase you got bored and wanted other ideas how things to add to your editor.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Apr 08 2010 3:09pm

Well, I wish it were the case that I had a lack of ideas, but I have a long list of things to add and things that are halfway complete. Just haven't really had the time or motivation to work on this stuff for a while.

I'll probably work on the editor some more once I finish one of the other projects I'm working on right now.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Sat Apr 10 2010 2:04am

I look forward to future releases and I hope your other projects are going well also!
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Luke the Gladiator » Sun Apr 11 2010 9:05pm

^
Ditto.
You pronounce it like wanker, but with a V. *shot* :p

- cajnatlie [on Vankar's pronounciation]
That is the most AWESOME knight in SF1! Clearly everyone's favorite knight to use in the game. He's so awesome.

- Kcid [talking to a n00b about Vankar]
You pronounce it like wanker, but with a V. *shot* :p

- cajnatlie [on Vankar's pronounciation]
That is the most AWESOME knight in SF1! Clearly everyone's favorite knight to use in the game. He's so awesome.

- Kcid [talking to a n00b about Vankar]
Luke the Gladiator

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby CajNatalie » Tue Apr 27 2010 1:24am

I've been messing around with the AIs in battles... trying to mod the game in various ways, one of which is that any enemy that can just stand there and do nothing while you throw spears and shoot arrows is changed to actually run out and attack you.

So anyways... the AI behaviors...

Action 0
What it Does: Go to XY coordinates and then stand absolutely still
Parameters 1 and 2 are the X and Y coordinates respectively.
This is the infamous AI action responsible for making things stand still and do nothing... on the other hand, it's usefulness comes in directing monsters to go to certain squares, but I've noticed they lack intelligence and sometimes can't get to certain locations if they're too far away (even if there's an obviously clear path). In these cases, the monster will just stand there uselessly as if it already reached its destination.

Action 1
What it Does: Attack anyone in range; pursue anyone barely outside range.
Parameters 1 and 2 should almost always both be set to 255. If not, then the monster will limit themselves to only moving a certain distance from an XY coordinate, and if they can't reach their desired target by then, they just stand there uselessly.
I'm not sure what this 'certain distance' is, but it could be a number of squares equal to the monster's movement... as I noticed in my first attempt with this that a Goblin moved 5 spaces toward my team from its starting spot (with same XY coordinates as its AI parameter)... but then did nothing after that.

Action 2
What it Does: Patrol (used for flying enemies like Giant Bats)
Parameter 2 has so far always been set to 255... meanwhile, I have no idea what Parameter 1 means... it could be a number referring to a patrol in a list... every patrol being given a number... but I really have no idea.

Triggers
All of them except the top left box I've seen in use so far... and they're all Area Triggers (though the top left box could be and very likely is something entirely different).
Each one corresponds to an area designated on the map.
For example, in the first battle, there are 3 areas... the start area, the area with the 2 dwarves and 2 goblins, and the rune knight has its own area, too.
Anyone who solos strategically will have figured out where most of the areas start and end, and which area is which can be worked out by seeing what enemy's AI each area is used for.

...that's all I worked out for now, but I hope it helps. :thumbsup:
:p
They're alive; back from the dead!
SF1 Stat Growth Spreadsheets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25645
Use them alongside the SF1 Editor when modding. :thumbsup:
They're alive; back from the dead!
SF1 Stat Growth Spreadsheets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25645
Use them alongside the SF1 Editor when modding. :thumbsup:
CajNatalie

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kcid » Tue Apr 27 2010 1:36am

I thought SF1 only had one AI setting: dumb
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Flygon » Thu Apr 29 2010 1:12pm

Kcid @ Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am) wrote: I thought SF1 only had one AI setting: dumb

I've managed to see some Shining Force II style magic come out of it, when set to the right perimeters, of course. ;)
The hexman of #sf2hack
The hexman of #sf2hack