Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 5/25/18 (v2.12.8)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby ShininGeek » Wed Feb 28 2018 12:59am

There is an editor for Shining in the Darkness. I've never used it, but there is a short walk through on the page.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Sat Mar 17 2018 4:38pm

I think Rubix is dead.
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 17 2018 10:09pm

monkbarron wrote:I think Rubix is dead.

Could be. I hate it when people just suddenly vanish from the earth never to be heard from again. I had a few online friends I was really close to that, that happened with.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Sun Mar 18 2018 12:29am

He did surface a few months after his last visit here, posting an unrelated video on YouTube - likely something to do with one of his then-current projects. I'm still confident that he'll make a return, and I cannot wait to see the Editor made even more awesome, even if it's only through bugfixes.
SF1Edit Discord Channel: Discuss Shining Force modding with rubixcuber and mod authors.

SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
SF1Edit Discord Channel: Discuss Shining Force modding with rubixcuber and mod authors.

SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Sun Mar 18 2018 1:21pm

projectego wrote:He did surface a few months after his last visit here, posting an unrelated video on YouTube - likely something to do with one of his then-current projects. I'm still confident that he'll make a return, and I cannot wait to see the Editor made even more awesome, even if it's only through bugfixes.

Amen to that.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Mon Mar 19 2018 12:22pm

Rubix is a Gandalf of some sort. :)

He is never late and always comes back whenever he feels it's the right time. :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Mar 19 2018 12:48pm

If anything, we can use this time to accumulate a bug list for him for when he gets back
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Mon Mar 19 2018 8:28pm

In that case, I remember projectego compiling a short list some time ago.

projectego wrote:Here are the current game/editor issues I have collated thus far, but it may not be all of them as I only started re-collating them a few weeks ago after acquiring a new hard drive.

- Game/engine bug: Boost bug posted by zexxar
- Editor bug(?): Treasure chest bug posted by demanson
- Editor bug(?): Battle move bug posted by ShininGeek
- Editor bug(?): Amon's promoted battle sprite colours do not appear correctly in the editor (sprite: 30; palette: 1)
- Editor bug(?): Equip issue posted by Lobo
- Editor bug(?): NPC crash bug posted by Siel
- Editor bug(?): Item pass bug posted by Siel
- Editor bug: Clipboard pasting a battle sprite onto Palette slot 1 ('0' being the true first palette for each battle sprite) will screw up the palette colours of the Palette '0' slot sprites.
- Game/engine bug: The Blue Dragon erroneously re-uses 24_2.bmp for its 'tail whip' battle attack, when it should use 24_4.bmp as part of its animation. Will try and dig up a video for this at some point.
- Game/engine bug: Demon Rod MP Drain bug posted by Kcid.
(the "Item pass bug" link also mentions a "sells to deals" bug, and the "NPC crash bug" links also mentions the editor occasionally corrupting data and the script editor being unreliable and hard to work with)

There's another issue I noticed that involves battle costumes. Even if the in-battle sprite is changed, attacks still refer to the character's original sprite's animations, so unless the new sprite is drawn to completely match the original, weapon positions and whatnot will be off and can't be corrected or changed.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Wed Mar 21 2018 5:09pm

I really gotta learn how to use this thing better. I have a ton of enemies I wanna add:

1. Jabberwock: (Uses Blue Dragon Sprite but with a black color palette and breathes Darksol's demon blaze instead of Ice or Fire.)

2. Succubus: (Would look similar to the harpy from Shining Force 2 but with devil wings. It would also have a Sleep Spell and a more powerful version of the Evil Puppet's health absorption incantation attack. Like how the Cerberus has stronger fire breath than the Hellhound and the Chimera has stronger fire breath than the Cerberus and the Blue Dragon has stronger Ice Breath than the Ice Worm and so on. If you're familiar with what a Succubus is and does you can probably see where I'm going with this. Plus they're a common enemy in a lot of RPGs.)

3. Manticore: (Just for the sake of having a new kind of mythical creature to fight)

4. Hippogriff: (Again, Just for the sake of having a new kind of mythical creature to fight)

5. Druid: (Would use an alternate color palette of the Demon Master. Maybe black or purple. and would have Desoul. Should make for a nice challenging new enemy.)

6. Gold Knight: (Superior version of the Silver Knight. And wields a Chrome Lance.)

7. Hell Knight: (A new mini boss like the Master Mage and Demon Master. Stronger than the other knights and wields the Devil Lance dropping it upon defeat. Or maybe call him Black Knight or Dark Knight.)

8. Leviathan: (A new boss to fight for the second ship battle. Basically a giant sea snake.)

9. Fenrir: (New dog enemy like the Hellhound and Cerberus. But with Ice Breath.)

10. Fafnir: (New Dragon Type enemy)

11. Banshee: (Based on the Wizary from RotDD. Same thing but different name. I just thought this made more sense.)

12. Gremlin: (Has Goblin's sprite but different stats and color palettes)

Hopefully reading this will give ideas to the modders here. And I hope you guys like what I came up with. I wish I could make my own mods too.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Wed Mar 21 2018 5:16pm

All the tools are there for you to make your own if you spend the time to learn the editor. It's not that hard to add basic stuff like that.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 22 2018 7:59pm

Tyadran wrote:All the tools are there for you to make your own if you spend the time to learn the editor. It's not that hard to add basic stuff like that.

To you it might seem easy but not to me. With all due respect I'm probably just gonna leave all this to the pros like you. I'm tired of screwing up and then having to delete the Rom and start over.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby LordOddEye » Thu Mar 22 2018 8:40pm

Hey Runesamurai,

Can I suggest that you keep multiple copies of your file that way every single time an error occurs you can revert back to a previous version.

What I'd reccommend is everytime you successfully implement a feature create a backup

That way you are always progressing forward and corruption won't take as much of a toll on you. It's not unreasonable since the files are not very big.

I understand your frustration this is why I always keep many backups in my projects from all my failures in the past as I have matured as a developer.

Best of luck!

Regards,

LordOddEye
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 22 2018 9:37pm

LordOddEye wrote:Hey Runesamurai,

Can I suggest that you keep multiple copies of your file that way every single time an error occurs you can revert back to a previous version.

What I'd reccommend is everytime you successfully implement a feature create a backup

That way you are always progressing forward and corruption won't take as much of a toll on you. It's not unreasonable since the files are not very big.

I understand your frustration this is why I always keep many backups in my projects from all my failures in the past as I have matured as a developer.

Best of luck!

Regards,

LordOddEye

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll try that. But the editor is pretty confusing and it's not helped by the fact that I'm slow due to having Autism and multiple other learning disabilites.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lock It Lynx » Tue Apr 03 2018 12:42pm

Yeah the Max bug everyone's talking about is rather frustrating...well it was Max but since i added new sprites now its Varios its weird i didn't even change max's sprites at all. I will keep experimenting see if i can find anything else out. And Btw @projectego love the website dude! I signed up and everything cant wait for release have you ever thought of a playable Rune/Silver Knight at all?
Lock It Lynx

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Apr 03 2018 7:33pm

MangekyoSaiyan wrote:Yeah the Max bug everyone's talking about is rather frustrating...well it was Max but since i added new sprites now its Varios its weird i didn't even change max's sprites at all. I will keep experimenting see if i can find anything else out. And Btw @projectego love the website dude! I signed up and everything cant wait for release have you ever thought of a playable Rune/Silver Knight at all?

If only extended characters worked. I would prefer Playable Varios but this is not a bad idea at all. Though technically, Pelle was a former Silver Knight.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue Apr 03 2018 7:35pm

It's never stated Pelle was a Silver Knight. He was just a mercenary for Runefaust.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Apr 03 2018 7:44pm

Tyadran wrote:It's never stated Pelle was a Silver Knight. He was just a mercenary for Runefaust.

At the very least I do think he was a former Rune Knight.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lock It Lynx » Tue Apr 03 2018 8:02pm

Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:It's never stated Pelle was a Silver Knight. He was just a mercenary for Runefaust.

He was a mercenary but going by his appearance in his portrait,overworld sprite and battle sprite (ROTDD) he definitely has the looks. In the hack im working on Pelle is being overhauled big time and his class and battle sprite will be that of a Rune Knight.
Lock It Lynx

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Apr 03 2018 10:59pm

MangekyoSaiyan wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:

He was a mercenary but going by his appearance in his portrait,overworld sprite and battle sprite (ROTDD) he definitely has the looks. In the hack im working on Pelle is being overhauled big time and his class and battle sprite will be that of a Rune Knight.

Oh sweet.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Wed Apr 04 2018 2:08pm

projectego wrote:Just a quick update regarding the tool:

- Prettified things a little (still a WIP)
- 'Locations' now better showcases possible locations where a Force member could join
- 'Locations' now utilises two possible methods of generating Force member levels: Sega's way which sees characters join at quite unusual levels (see Adam, Torasu/Alef) or my own method which suggests a level more inline for a player's Force team during certain points of the game

WARNING: SPOILER!

(Apologies if this in any way derails any conversations regarding the editor. It is my intention only to compliment the editor with external tools and resources and knowledge that might help the community.)

Hey, Steve!
Any news on that most promising tool?

And what about the artworking? Any new sprites lately?

By the way, is there a website where we can find them all?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force