Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/8/17 (v2.12.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby drownduck » Fri Mar 03 2017 7:35am

rubixcuber wrote:It's kind of involved, but here's the basic rundown for making a new spell:

1) Decide what you want the spell to do and create an effect for it. Click the + in the effect editor to add a new one. Use the type 'Spell'. 'Magical Elemental Attack' would be the action you'd want for something like that.

2) Do the same thing for a new range. Minimum 1, maximum 1, area 1 square would be a regular attack shape. And then just use group Enemies and routine Default.

3) Create the new spell. Enable expanded spells, edit the spell slot and assign the effect and range to the new ones you created.

4) Add the spell to the character. You can use the spell progression editor to have them learn it at a specific level or just add it to their starting spells in the character editor.

Let me know if you need more specific instructions for any part of that.

TYVM for your reply!

do I have to create a new range? can i just use the existing range from other spell like blaze?

for number 3, is there a finite number of spells that you can create?
drownduck

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Mar 03 2017 7:59am

You can reuse ranges certainly. Just make sure it's from something similar. Even if it's the same distance and area there's the group/routine setting in the range. If you use one from blaze you'll be fine.

And yes. The original game could only handle 16 spells. I was able to rework that up to 32 spells, but that's the limit probably for the foreseeable future. I could probably bump that up to 64 if anybody really needed that many spells. But that's already more than double the base game.

Unfortunately if you want to make a true fire breath attack you'll run into a slight problem. The fire breath animation is 46? I think. But they only made an animation for the flames coming from the left. There isn't a proper animation for it from the right.

Until I finish the spell animation editor there isn't really any way to properly animate a fire breath attack coming from the right I don't think. Unless I'm forgetting something.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby drownduck » Fri Mar 03 2017 8:34am

ah ok. I understand.

If you can bump up the spell number, it would be great.

thanks again for the quick info! Looking forward for future updates.
drownduck

Postby projectego » Fri Mar 03 2017 11:46am

Love those teasers! And thanks for another speedy update, RC!

Just noticed a weird bug during a playthrough of a ROM using v2.11.4 settings, so this might not be present when using a ROM with v2.11.6 settings, but it doesn't seem to have been discussed or mentioned in the changelog. I'm not sure if this occurs with Extended Characters disabled, but on my ROM I have enabled the following features:

- Enabled Extended Characters
- Created 4 unremarkable Extended Characters
- Added scripting events to have those characters join during Lowe's introductory dialogue
- Moved HQ dialogue to lines 2300-2500
- Changed positions of some enemies during first 10(?) battles to bring them closer to Max for easier defeating
- Enabled under Mechanics: Fix Land Effect, Automatic Item Passing + Battle Item Passing, EXP Overflow, Smart AI Heal

So, yeah, the bug: When items are acquired via a chest opening, they pass to another character just fine when the character's inventory is full, but for some reason EVERY instance of item passing has skipped Ken, and when Arthur joined, it would skip Ken and Arthur, and be transferred to Luke. I've collected numerous items since and each time they have always skipped Ken and Arthur entirely. I'm only at the circus so I haven't unlocked that many characters, so I can't say for certain that Pelle, Vankar and Earnest will be skipped, but I feel it's a possibility. Just seems so odd that the game is disregarding Ken and Arthur when items are being passed.

Any thoughts on this? I have changed absolutely nothing about the core characters.

Edit: Encountered my first major, game-breaking glitch: In Rindo, after completing the circus battle, acquiring the ship, losing the ship, speaking to the Mayor and having the path to Shade Abbey unlocked, I am no longer able to enter towns (or Shade Abbey) at all. Max just walks right over them as if they were standard tiles. Here's a recent savestate: (Download)

The savestate was made using Fusion v3.64 - sorry! It is saved right after the Circus battle, approx. 2 mins before encountering the game-breaking bug.

If it helps, the ROM was a clean and verified working before enabling the features listed above. No other changes have been applied. I was using v2.11.4 for that ROM, but will perform the update to it by saving the ROM once more using v2.11.6 and see if it fixes anything.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of Max standing on top of Shade Abbey, unable to enter:

The same goes for Rindo - can't re-enter that again either. Max is effectively stuck on the world map. Not sure if it's super relevant but he cannot go out of bounds or walk over the mountains, he still maintains the correct pathing. Just can't enter any towns.

Edit 2: Confirmed bug still present even after saving the ROM on the Characters screen using v2.11.6.
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Mar 03 2017 12:32pm

Really excited about those teasers!!! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

These bugs are quite strange, projectego.
Haven't tested items passing, but walking over towns did not happen to me at all.
Never happened until that point of the game?
Did you edit the rom just before that?
Otherwise I don't think it could be related to the map, as you have used it three times before. (entering Rindo, entering Manarina, reentering Rindo).
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri Mar 03 2017 12:53pm

Very strange bugs indeed, Lobo!

The not-being-able-to-enter-towns bug has never happened to me before. I haven't edited the ROM since starting the playthrough. It was edited once before launch only to enable those features highlighted above.

In one play session I progressed from Guardiana battle 3 to where the bug occurs after the circus battle. In one sitting I was able to enter Rindo at the start of Chapter 2, leave and enter Manarina, leave Manarina and re-enter Rindo, complete the circus battle, leave Rindo and re-enter Rindo, have the ship burn down, speak to the Mayor, leave Rindo and bam - bug city. I cannot reenter Rindo or Manarina. This was all done using a ROM edited with v2.11.4 of the Editor, then saved again with v2.11.6 after encountering the bug, then having the bug still persist.

I'm actually really intrigued to learn what might be causing this. I'm having a blast playtesting the game and am very eager to run through the game again using the latest version of the Editor from the start and with fewer features enabled to hopefully help lessen the chance of the bug occurring. Hopefully the Item Passing and map bugs are something that RC can identify and that I'm not just crazy! :p
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Mar 03 2017 5:24pm

Hmm. Yeah, if possible would be nice to confirm if the item passing worked the same way before too or if it's that the extended characters are breaking it. It's possible it's looking at the wrong table to see who has empty space or something. And also that if Luke is full does it not pass it to an empty spot on Ken? It might just be going in a different order than you'd expect, I dunno.

As far as the town entering bug that is a strange one and that's possibly a bad sign. Could mean I've stepped on some values in RAM somewhere and broken things. I'll see if I can manage to play from your savestate and try to watch what happens. Maybe it's something simple, but I can't think of what would cause that.

Edit: I loaded your savestate and reproduced the issue and made a trace of it. I'm going to load up an unmodified ROM and trace the same spot and do the side-by-side again I guess.

Edit2: I think tracked it down to the event flags which determine what version of the map to pull up and open the fences on the sides of Rindo there. Not sure why the event flags are wrong though. It looks like event 49 should not be set, but is for some reason.

These events are getting set and checked as part of the dialogue and exit scripting, so it's possible the script editor messed this up somehow and we just hadn't caught it yet?

Clearly it's time to add some more search functionality, track down event numbers and such.

Edit3: Okay, so... Event 49 gets triggered in Chapter 1 when Khris joins, and then gets checked in Chapter 2 on the Rindo world map. But events are supposed to get cleared between chapters. So maybe the event flag routine between chapters isn't working? Or 49 got set somewhere else it shouldn't have in between? Hmm. Or I'm following the wrong thing altogether, ha.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Fri Mar 03 2017 9:11pm

That's a real hard one! :shock:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri Mar 03 2017 9:36pm

All that flag business sounds like a bit of a pickle. What's your gut telling you so far, RC? Do you feel that the Extended Characters stuff is responsible? I'll give the game another whirl with fewer features enabled and see how I get on.

Regarding Item Passing: You were right. Now that Luke has a full inventory it seems that Ken has begun receiving items. I'm presuming since I missed Gort on my playthrough that maybe he would have received the items before Luke, maybe? Weird how they are receiving items out of order. What do you feel is the reason behind this?
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Mar 03 2017 9:42pm

I dunno yet. Something with the extended characters might be writing something into that RAM data, I'd have to track down exactly when it happens to see. If that is the problem I'll probably have to play through the first chapter and try to see if that event isn't getting reset between chapters and if it is, then when it's getting set again in Chapter 2 and if it isn't supposed to be.

And in assembly code it's almost always slightly easier to loop through things in reverse order. When they loop through the characters it is very often from the highest numbered to the lowest numbered in the game. I think I just stole one of those loops when I added the item passing, so it will try to pass it to whoever the highest numbered character is first I believe. (If you wanted to count up through the characters, you'd have to increment a counter and then compare it to the number of characters to see if you are done, but if you count down you just use the highest character number as your loop counter and count down through zero without needing a separate value)

Basically, there's a built in loop command for looping down to zero but if you want to count up to some specific number you have to do it manually.

Update

While we're at it, quick error fixing / ease of use improvement update for scripting.

v2.11.7 - 3/3/2017
[Scripting]
* Event actions are colored blue
* Can search by event number
* Can search for adding members
* Searching continues from the currently selected node
* F3 repeats the last search
* Ctrl+F opens the search box
* Searches can be made across all scripts
* Script area will resize automatically properly now
* Set/Add gold should work as expected now
* 4 byte commands should load without errors
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri Mar 03 2017 11:41pm

Amazing! The Add Member search is a brilliant addition!

Edit: Whoa! You can search by message ID too? This is going to be a fantastic time saver! Great work, RC!

Edit 2: Love the way that the search function sweeps through all scripts in order, in real time when tracking down the item you're looking for!

rubixcuber wrote:Hmm. Yeah, if possible would be nice to confirm if the item passing worked the same way before too or if it's that the extended characters are breaking it. It's possible it's looking at the wrong table to see who has empty space or something. And also that if Luke is full does it not pass it to an empty spot on Ken? It might just be going in a different order than you'd expect, I dunno.

You were spot on. I just loaded up that same savestate, unlocked a few more treasure chests with Luke's inventory full and all new item pickups were being passed to Ken. Would you consider this a bug? Or is the system simply adhering to the internal numbering scheme and therefore working as intended? I think it would make sense for items to be passed in sequence of Force Member ordering, but I don't know how much work that would involve.
Last edited by projectego on Fri Mar 03 2017 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Mar 03 2017 11:45pm

Hmm? That's what I was replying to in the last post. Pretty much all of the in game routines go through the characters in reverse order for the reasons I stated above, it's just not normally so obvious.

I could probably change it, but it hadn't really seemed like an issue. I'll make a note to see about reversing it though.

It's not a bug, just 'lazy' implementation. You can loop through them forwards or backwards and backwards is a little easier.

So, I actually looked at the code and I did it the non-lazy way.

I am assuming you are opening chests on a battle map, and Ken is not part of the active force? Battle chests pass items through the active force for various reasons. In either case, I am confused. Let me know if things seem to not make sense still. I am guessing everything is probably working though?
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sat Mar 04 2017 12:08am

I'm legitimately intrigued that you're intrigued. I think my answers might surprise you.

I haven't opened a single chest in battle.
Ken and Luke are both part of my active party and have always been so.
Arthur has never been a part of my active party, but was recruited.
I forgot to recruit Gort (typically appears before Luke in Force list).

Regardless, once Max and Mae had their inventory slots filled, Luke was the next in line to receive passed items collected from within town treasure chests. Ken was ignored completely until Luke's inventory was filled, as was Arthur, whom I am presuming will be next in line to receive items after Ken, but haven't checked that far yet.

Essentially the Force member ID # ordering as been as such: Max (1), Mae (2), Luke (5), Ken (3).

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your question. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully I've managed to uncover something worth fixing, and not just sending you on a wild goose chase.

In Shining Force 2, no matter what, the item passing mechanic honours the Force Member list order and never deviates from that specific ordering or skips ahead a character or two when they have free inventory spaces.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sat Mar 04 2017 12:16am

Note that by battle I don't necessarily mean during battle. If you open a chest in the circus tent after the battle, it still uses the battle chest routines.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sat Mar 04 2017 3:52am

The same happens when you are at headquarters if I got it right.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sun Mar 05 2017 12:13am

Ah, gotcha. That actually makes sense given how the entire active Force are present when exploring that circus tent (until you leave and re-enter, anyway).

Do you feel that it's worth correcting this item passing... inconsistency, RC?
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sun Mar 05 2017 1:01am

Well, it can be revisited. But this was something that was touched on at the time and was somewhat intentional.

For example in that very circus battle you get a new type of arrow in one of the chests, right? If it's allowed to pass it to somebody outside of the active force you wouldn't be able to equip it right away and use it against Marionette. Which would be a problem that didn't exist in the unmodified game. And also, in a logical sense it kind of makes sense not to be able to pass it to somebody who isn't there. On top of that, all of the character data is loaded into a different table in RAM for the active members during a battle, so it's a little more complicated to check both active and inactive characters. So I was of the opinion that this was the better way to do it. I think it makes sense if you know it works that way, but I do see how if you weren't expecting it, that it would be a little confusing. Especially if the battle isn't still active.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby xenometal » Sun Mar 05 2017 1:21am

Testing v2.11.6

- Jogurt still joins at level 0 since v2.11.0.
- Stats preview in Equip screen is still wrong when called in HQ. It does work fine in regular battle and town map.
- Having more than 32 recruited members in the Force, game gets stuck in a loop when entering HQ (black screen, sound playing).
- When dead, Nova (char #30) doesn't show a blue flame sprite in HQ. Uses regular map sprite instead. Char #48 works fine.

Tested working:
- Promoted extended chars level up and learn spells correctly.
- Priest can raise extended chars properly.

A precision concerning the stats preview bug; when re-equipping a promoted entended char, not only does the stats preview not update correctly, but the actual stats shown are bogus. For example, it showed that Nova had 14 Attack, 7 Defense, 7 Move and 7 Agility when his real stats were 13 Attack, 13 Defense, 5 Move and 15 Agility.

Also, are you saying that item passing is in effect during battle? That definitely can't be abused. :p
xenometal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Mythrandir » Mon Mar 06 2017 5:14pm

Hey everyone,

Long time on-and-off lurker here. I'm happy to see this thread is alive and well. RC, I second all the praise you have been receiving for your work on the SF1 editor! I had a few questions for you guys that I was hoping you might be able to answer.

1) Is there a way to turn Max's hero status off (so that you don't lose when he dies)? Or are there plans to implement this feature in the editor? I see from RC's teaser that it looks like we'll soon be able to substitute him out of the battle. But will that also take away the hero status? That has been one of the most frustrating features of this game, as I'm sure it is for many, because it often means relegating Max to the back of the line on difficult battles.

2) Is there a tutorial (perhaps a youtube video) on how to do certain tasks in the editor? It would be nice, for example, to have a step-by-step guide on how to go about doing everything that is required to create your own battle (including map edits, enemy placements, enemy movement triggers, etc).

Edit:

3) One last series of questions (for now) :) -- under mechanics, what does "Add New Effects," "Add Armor Type," and "Fix Class Double Setting" mean? And for "Heal EXP Percent," does that mean the exp gained by the healer is that percentage of the total amount healed?

Sorry for the litany of questions. I really appreciate the help from anyone willing to give it.
Mythrandir

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Mar 06 2017 7:50pm

Always glad to see a new face.

1) Not yet, but the teasers you mentioned will involve being able to remove Max from the party and not lose on his (or whoever is leading's) death so that's coming relatively soon. (For the most part it's done and wasn't too hard but there are some specific hangups like the cart scene breaks without Max because it was hardcoded to him I guess)

2) I'm afraid we haven't really been quite fancy enough for much in the way of tutorials yet. I'd recommend maybe making an extra copy of the game and a save state one step from entering a battle to play around with it. Maybe one of these days I (or somebody) will make a proper tutorial. The help file will get you started a bit at least and feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

3) In the effect editor you can give different attacks/items/spells effects like healing, status effects, etc. The Add New Effects option adds some new ones that I coded from scratch. Though I think currently the only one tied to that checkbox is 'Distributed Damage' which is a special attack which will split the damage up over however many targets are hit, dealing more to one target or less over a group.

Add Armor Type creates a totally new type of item in the game, armor. So you can create new items, set them as armor and give them a defense bonus, and then put them in shops for sale. That checkbox modifies the game code to add another equip menu for armor and everything.

Fix Class Double Setting - It looked like the game was supposed to have the ability to give different classes a different chance to get a double attack but it was broken/bugged. Checking this will fix it and add it to the class editor.

Heal EXP Percent - Yep, the normal healing EXP is the couple EXP you get normally plus 20% of health healed with a minimum of 10 EXP. Since you're almost rarely healing more than 50HP you're pretty much always getting about 10 EXP, so I figured upping this percent would probably make sense. (And I wonder if they meant for it to be higher? It doesn't really do much as is...)
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force