Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Siel » Fri Apr 27 2018 7:40pm

re:flaming items
It looks like Extend Items has "sell to deals" erroneously treated the same as "broken", which causes those items to burst straight into flames without passing by the second page. Leaving it unchecked allows using and cracking the items as normal, but it of course has the side effect of not moving the items to the deals section when dropped to a character with a full inventory.

re:automatic passing zero
It's not immediately obvious, and toggling the feature doesn't automatically change the text entry, but there's an "Assign Messages" button in the text editor for assigning message numbers to new features added by the editor and for setting default text to those messages, which include automatic item passing.

re:unloadable ROM
Did you happen to import/export data with characters extended? The import/export feature seems to be incompatible with extended characters and messes up the data slightly enough to cause the editor to not be able to read it properly. If it's not that, then I dunno
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dr. Doom » Fri Apr 27 2018 8:49pm

Siel wrote:re:automatic passing zero
It's not immediately obvious, and toggling the feature doesn't automatically change the text entry, but there's an "Assign Messages" button in the text editor for assigning message numbers to new features added by the editor and for setting default text to those messages, which include automatic item passing.

yeah the game actually had a text line for passing items but was unimplemented originally. all i did was just give the line an actual sentence "It has been passed to [Name]." and now its fine.
Dr. Doom

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kane To The Max » Sat Apr 28 2018 3:42am

Can someone kindly explain how the growth curve and level starting setting works for the force members. Here's some questions:

1) Are the values next to the growth curves for each attribute mean the % probability that they will get a boost in that attribute when they level up?
2) Do the starting values for each attribute mean where they would start at level 1 then when you get them at whichever level their starting level is they would've increased in their attributes based on their growth curve settings?

Because for example...I have changed Anri to start at level 4 (her default setting is 3), I changed her HP and
MP growth curve values from 34 to 42 and 10 to 15 respectively. I did not change her attribute starting
values. When I get her in Manarina in my edit she starts at 10 HP and 19 MP! Why is the MP so high? Is it
because I changed the growth curve by 8? I was hoping for her to start at around 10 HP and 12 MP. Am I
missing something?
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!

Postby Tyadran » Sat Apr 28 2018 3:45am

They start at a point on the growth curve where their level is, and they are treated as if they had gained the previous levels normally, so they get SF's random stat boosts for each of those levels.
There curve itself represents the average total they would have gained at those levels, and the specific points on each curve are where the game forces them to catch up.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kane To The Max » Sat Apr 28 2018 4:47am

ok makes sense, so those changes I made and the reflected values sound about right to you?

Postby Tyadran » Sat Apr 28 2018 4:54am

I don't know off the top of my head, I'd have to go look at her normal stats and curves.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Sun Apr 29 2018 1:58am

Somewhere in this forum there's a link to some Excel files that calculates the expected value for each attribute in each level for each character.

Try giving it a search, and post the link here.

If you can't find, I'll look in my HD and upload the one I have for you.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Sun Apr 29 2018 3:04am

By default, Anri's MP has an early-late growth curve, and, by default, the early-late growth curve is set to gain 30% of total projected stat gains by level 4. With a projected gain of 42, 30% of that is around 12, which, added on top of the starting 6, makes 18. With the +/-20% stat variance, the 19 sounds pretty normal if the aforementioned growth curve settings haven't been touched.

To lower her level 4 MP to 12, you could edit the early-late growth curve itself or just change Anri's MP growth to linear or something.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Wed May 09 2018 10:48pm

Since Megaupload is no more and those spreadsheets are a little trickier to get hold of, I can provide a mirror download via SFMods if anyone is interested - if that's not too skeezy. I'll get in touch with CajNatalie and see if it would be cool or not. I reference the spreadsheet quite a lot nowadays - they're pretty valuable when it comes to determining new character stats.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Wed May 09 2018 10:50pm

It would be good to have them reuploaded somewhere. I have my own copy but they're on my old laptop, plus a lot of newer people wouldn't have them.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Wed May 23 2018 4:51am

I hope and pray for Rubixcuber's return. We really need Extended Characters to work and for Map Sprite Palettes to become as easy to edit as Battle Sprite Palettes.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Wed May 23 2018 12:13pm

I just hope he's enjoying his break. The Editor is still very manageable, but I totally wouldn't say no to some fixes in the areas you mentioned, RS. ;)
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Wed May 23 2018 1:36pm

projectego wrote:I just hope he's enjoying his break. The Editor is still very manageable, but I totally wouldn't say no to some fixes in the areas you mentioned, RS. ;)

:thumbsup:

Any news from him and his other projects?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Wed May 23 2018 8:37pm

projectego wrote:I just hope he's enjoying his break. The Editor is still very manageable, but I totally wouldn't say no to some fixes in the areas you mentioned, RS. ;)

Wait a minute. Hold on. Timeout. You've actually heard from him? You can confirm that he's simply on a break and that he's not dead and will return eventually?
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Wed May 23 2018 9:55pm

Runesamurai wrote:

Wait a minute. Hold on. Timeout. You've actually heard from him? You can confirm that he's simply on a break and that he's not dead and will return eventually?

Apologies - no, I have not heard from him. I am assuming that he is on a break as he has not announced that he has dropped support of the editor, and has taken relatively long breaks in the past to work on other projects before returning.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Thu May 24 2018 11:49am

projectego wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:

Apologies - no, I have not heard from him. I am assuming that he is on a break as he has not announced that he has dropped support of the editor, and has taken relatively long breaks in the past to work on other projects before returning.

I see. Well all we can do now is pray.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri May 25 2018 9:12pm

Been a while, eh?

I apologize for the absence, been feeling the need to spend my free time on some other things for the moment and try to improve some other parts of my life but I definitely shouldn't have dropped off so abruptly. (Though honestly I did that because I knew as soon as I checked back in I'd get sucked back into it!)

That being said, while I am temporarily not intending to work on new features I do think I need to at least get the existing features closer to bug free.

So I come back with a gift...

Update

v2.12.7 - 5/25/2018
[Characters]
* When using extended characters, everyone should use their proper battle sprites now
* Debug option added to reset promoted battle sprites
[Items]
* When using extended items, non-extended items should not be destroyed because of the 'Sell to Deals' flag being set
[Scripting]
* New 'Check Force for Item' nodes should save properly
[Maps]
* Saving in the map editor after having saved dialog scripts should no longer lead to npc crashes

I didn't have a lot of time to test super thoroughly, so as always back up and let me know if I goofed.

I think that covers most of the major glitches at least.
Last edited by rubixcuber on Fri May 25 2018 9:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri May 25 2018 9:13pm

Prayers = answered. RC is the man.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Fri May 25 2018 9:14pm

Do non-promoted sprites work right with Extended now? I'll test more of the scripting functions when I have a chance, I know there were a few more bugs I remember.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri May 25 2018 9:16pm

Non-promoted? I thought those were the ones that worked, I was just going off of the bug posts on projectego's list.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force