Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.1 Released 5/10/18

Updated Character and Weapon sprites, merged patch for the Brothers mod!

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.1 Released 5/10/18

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Mar 02 2018 6:31am

Hello community,
This is my first post to this great website. Shining Force 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time. I remember going to the local rental store to rent out this particular game and returned it late on purpose cause i couldn't let it go.....(breaks into "let it go" from frozen.) #sorrynotsorry
Despite this, i have always had minor grievances with some of the artwork used in the sprites, be it inconsistent or just nonsensical. When I started having a nostalgia trip on Shining Force I bought it on steam and played with the "mods" available on the steam workshop. While I enjoyed the changes I saw, I was inspired to do something myself and make the Shining Force Game I've always wanted. And then i discovered this website, and the awe-inducing editors available for both games and I’ve had a blast doing some of my own editing.

I am happy to release v2.1 of the Graphic Upgrade mod!

=========================================================
Some people who deserve credit:

Some sprites are based off resources from the Spriters resource site, located here:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/genes ... scd/S.html

And a special thanks to Dan/steve for allowing me to use some of their artwork, here is their website. They are doing some neat things over there. I will be placing my artwork there for everyone to see.
Shining Force Mods Website:
http://sfmods.com/whats-new/posts/773/

Also, Lobo has been a great partner in fleshing out some ideas for this mod. I'm very grateful to have his company.

And at last, all hail Rubixcuber, for his SF1 Editor is what made this mod possible.

Alot of what is here wouldnt have been possible without the folks mentioned above, please check them out.

As a FYI: this mod was made with an older version of the editor. If you try opening it with the newest version it will crash.
(Part of the reason i’ll be remaking it when SFA is finished)
====================================================================

Plans:
None at the moment, if you run into any issues with the new sprites, let me know and i'll correct it asap.
This will probably be my last update for a little while. But I am still active while working on other things, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know :thumbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a preview of some of the changes:

Here is a new preview of the weapons

There is now a patch for those who are currently using 2.0

Current Version: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade 2.1

You can download both ips files here:
http://sfmods.com/resources/shining-for ... pgrade.10/

Brothers mod by Lobo
Current Version: BM 3.0 / GU 2.1

You can find the original mod here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21486

You can download both ips files here:
http://sfmods.com/resources/shining-for ... -patch.17/

Keep in mind, these are IPS files, not the actual roms, you will need to do the following to use this mod:
1. Have the original .bin file of Shining Force
2. Have the Lunar IPS patcher. (This is what i used and tested with)
3. Download my graphic patch, and apply that to the .bin file.
4. Profit...

Version History

WARNING: SPOILER!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quick rundown of the changes:
- Weapons(swords, axes, spears, and lances, staffs)
- New weapon lengths for the swords.
- Animations have been tweaked to work with the revised sword sprites( since some needed to be adjusted to fit the new models).
- New Map/Battle sprites for some characters

First off, the weapons
-------------------------------

It always bugged me that the swords in the game were so short and not epic for my taste. So i changed the 2 default sprites to be a little more logical. Nothing over the top, but i like these models better.

For the main swords you use throughout most of the game, the 2 default sword sprites have been changed. Now each sword looks more unique.
Rusty Sword: weakest sword, and it shows
Arming Sword: standard issue, looks fine
Broad Sword: looks like the one in the default icon now
Steel Claymore: The blade has a more greyish color scheme to it, it also uses a red hilt.
Knightly Sword: Sharing the sprite to the Oath Keeper, this sword has a green Jewel.

Axes have been given a little makeover as well.

Hatchet: Replaces the hand axe and is now only 1 sided(hence the name)
Twin axe: Now has a new handle (to make it more in line with the hatchet and battle axe) and threw some blue in it
Battle axe: now looks more like a bridge between the Twin axe and heat axe/atlas' sprite.
Atlas: Recolored to be more in line with the Item Icon

Spears
The normal spear now has the little green sash on it in battle mode.
The power spear is now what the default spear used to be.
The Halberd also sports a red sash.
Added the red dots on the Demon Lance.

Lances:
The bronze looks....looks....bronze.. and it shares it's sprite with Steel and Chrome lances. (chrome lance now has the red tip like in the icon)

Staffs:
The wooden staff now looks like a wooden stick.
Mage Staff now uses the default color scheme and sprite of the original Wooden staff.
Arcane Staff now uses a more advanced version of the mage's staff.
Holy Scepter is now more holy.
Demon Rod now sports those haunting red eyes. ( just two red dots...but that's all you need in the dark...)

Weapon Length changes:
I have increased the length of the other swords used in the game, like the Doom Blade, chaos breaker, and sword of darkness.

Unique Weapon:
Elliot's Oath Keeper. A big sword which sprite is based off of the Elliot's battle sprite. This sword can be wielded by anyone who is already able to wield most swords. It's current attack damage is 24. The weapon will drop upon his defeat, so make sure you have a spot available in whoever's inventory when he/she does the finishing blow.

Character sprite changes
------------------------------

- First off, I love Max's look in the original, a testament to great character design... As for his legs though.... didn't care much for it, so bare....so .....chilly during those winter months....I decided he needed something, and after trying red or blue leggings i went with the white and for me, it just works. This is a just personal preference of mine, but i'd like to think if he fell over his naughty bits wouldn't be exposed :shock:

For his Promoted look, I really liked this change
First i made it so he has a longer cape. His main armor is now dark grey metal and the cape green, with blue lapels. This has also been changed to his portrait and map sprites too.

- Lowe's hair is now visible in the battle sprite sequences

- Luke now shows wielding a sword on his map sprite, which carries over to his promoted sprite. It also annoyed me that Luke and Gort used more or less the same sprite when promoted, just their heads were different. Now his armor is blue to match his battle sprite(even wearing the helmet too, but you still can see his nose.

- Gort now has an axe visible on his unpromoted map sprite.

- Gong, why does he have a backpack if it's not gonna carry over to the battle sprite? For consistency sake, I removed the backpack so it matches the battle sprite better. I thought about just drawing the backpack on him in the battle sprite, buuuuuuuuut i decided against it.
He is also much bigger now, as he is a Half-Giant, only makes sense for him to look the part. (thanks to Kobo for thinking of this idea)

- Alef has a a slight tint change in her portrait to be more in line with her map sprite, since she had a more reddish tint to her before. She also now has her own sprite, however it's only her promoted sprite for now, unless there is a way for the editor/game to support it, she'll have to join promoted.

-Torasu now uses his own sprite, but however, same as Alef he too will have to join promoted.

-Adam, same deal as Alef and Torasu.

- Anri/Tao now have a new battle sprite unpromoted/promoted. No more wizard pointy hat things, I like the hair being out to see, as of v2.0 with the added freedom of only Anri and Tao sharing, i made their hair a little longer in the promoted sprite.

- Mae and Ken have returned to their normal colors, Mae is grey-ish and Ken is brown. They now sport their own unique battle sprites.

-All other centaur characters have been given their own sprites, except Ken and Arthur(they had to share) since they looked very similar anyway.

- Amon and Balbaroy now have red shields in battle and map sprites. Amon has been tweaked to not look like she just stepped out of the freezer.

There are more changed in terms of graphics then what's shown in the preview and text, you'll just have to see them for yourself in game or in the editor :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story Change
WARNING: SPOILER!

If you wanted to transfer these sprites over to your rom of choice, you need to do the following(especially for the battle sprites):
1. Ensure that the palettes are exactly the same, this may require you to check each slot and adjust them to look just like the palette I have used.
2. Once that is done, you can then use the "GFX to/from Clipboard" function to move them to your rom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Erikin84 on Wed Sep 05 2018 7:23pm, edited 176 times in total.
Erikin84

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 08 2018 12:17pm

Excellent work. I really look forward to playing this. But don't forget to credit Tyadran since you're using some of his sprites.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Thu Mar 08 2018 8:08pm

? I didn't edit any sprites, they're just palette swaps.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby LordOddEye » Thu Mar 08 2018 8:19pm

Erikin84,

This looks pretty interesting I'm definitely looking forward to see how you progress with this. I will check in again soon. I'm planning to do another run through with Tyadran's mod so this is perfect.

By the way welcome to the community I see this is your first post I'd like to greet you on behalf of everyone.

Best Regards,

LordOddEye
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Mar 09 2018 1:46am

Excelent job. SF1 needs a graphic overhaul like this. You plan to do more changes?
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Mar 09 2018 1:49am

@Tyadran and @Erikin84 My apologies.

@Erikin84: I really look forward to playing this. It looks awesome already.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Mar 09 2018 4:49am

Yes, actually. I have updated the sprites for the promoted classes. Like Tao and Luke now have their hair in their promoted status too, this carried over to everyone using those sprites, so I've had to update the palettes for them too. It's been a challenge as the palettes for the battle sprites tend to get finicky when you're doing stuff to it (the main reason for the delay). I'm mostly done with it, i should have it released in by:
Friday, March 9th 2018
Last edited by Erikin84 on Sat Mar 10 2018 4:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 10 2018 1:44am

Best of luck to you my good man.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 10 2018 4:03am

Finally, it's here. With a couple hours to spare...Please let me know what you all think. I will work on the preview and get it up asap
Erikin84

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.00 Released

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 10 2018 7:36am

Apparently this mod is not compatible with the SF1 editor. Also where is the Playable Kane version?

EDIT: I regret to have to inform you that this mod doesn't work yet. It goes black after the opening screen.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 10 2018 8:04am

What emulator are you using? I use the Kega Fusion and it works on that. This was created with the SF1 Editor.
Last edited by Erikin84 on Sat Mar 10 2018 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Erikin84

Postby Tyadran » Sat Mar 10 2018 8:09am

As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 10 2018 8:19am

At the moment the link shown is set for your Playable Kane mod. I will release a normal game patch for those interested.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 10 2018 1:18pm

Tyadran wrote:As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Ah ok that must be what I did wrong.

EDIT: Yep that was the problem. It's working just fine now. :)

Double Edit: This mod is awesome. The swords and so many other things look so much better now!
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.1 Released

Postby Neutral » Sun Mar 11 2018 12:12pm

Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk
Neutral

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 11 2018 7:41pm

Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk

It's possible to do battle sprites but that's a lot of work to make new sprites for. Portraits I don't think are currently supported.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Mar 13 2018 7:05pm

Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk

I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

EDIT: I just tried the new updated version of this patch. It crashes if you try to run it in the editor. It also doesn't seem to work. But I might've just screwed up somewhere again.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 13 2018 7:54pm

Runesamurai wrote:I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

RotDD is a terrible example of what can be done with the editor.
Making alternate battle sprites would be easy and is supported in the editor.
Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 15 2018 8:28pm

Tyadran wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.

Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 17 2018 3:38pm

Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:

Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.

I have tested it and it works fine, i went through Varios' starting dialogue with no crashing. and you'll have to be more specific with the "weird" in editor.
Erikin84

Next

Return to Shining Force