Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Siel » Tue Dec 12 2017 5:24am

I had the NPC crash happen just now too. At first I thought it was just shops, but it turned out it was any speaking at all. I'm suspecting it was toggling Double Attack Fix that did it, but I haven't verified it, and reading ShininGeek's posts, it sounds unlikely. Some changes I'd made in the script editor a while ago had been at least visually reversed as well, bizarrely returning to the base game. On a slightly related note, everything on script pages I've tried messing around on is constantly highlighted in pink or green for some reason.

I've also been running into other issues:

battle editor:
The AI region data occasionally scrambles up. It seems to magically fix itself upon a reload, but if I don't notice and actually save, every battle's region data (except for the one I was editing at the time?) turns into garbage. It was constantly happening when I was editing a battle with "follow path" enemies and seems to have subsided for now, so that might be related?

script editor:
-swapping node connections around is a lot of trouble and confusing
-after disconnecting, reconnecting, and saving, upon a reload, it'll sometimes turn out that the nodes were actually connected backward
-even after fixing this, parts from the next page sometimes end up in the current page. Sometimes, everything past the current page disappears.

I think I'm making the same script changes in the same manner every time, but it seems to just randomly work or not work. Having script pages or region data disappear is essentially a game ender, so I've been pretty much making backups, double checking for battle and script corruption, and testing in-game dialogue every step of the way. And speaking of backups, I do wish exporting was updated to include more of the newer things (battle terrain, AI regions, map layouts, extended stuff) and maybe be more selective.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Wed Dec 13 2017 9:59am

I think your suggestion for more data to be exported is a crucial one, Siel. I would personally like to see additional Force data recorded with exports, and hopefully RC will be able to consider these ideas in the future.

I'm also keeping a log handy which has details to all of the current bugs with links to their original posts and will add yours to the list. I hope that it will make things easier for RC to review all bug submissions this way.

And your work on the translation project has been utterly invaluable. I, myself, have referred to it countless times and continue to do so with my own projects.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Fri Dec 15 2017 3:14am

To be honest, that translation is still inaccurate at places or terribly worded. I attempted starting over a few times, but the script itself is pretty long and transcribing&formatting everything takes longer than expected.

I was trying out outfits but can't seem to get more than the first listed item of each character to work. Has anyone been successful with more or is this just how it is?
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Dec 15 2017 9:56am

Never messed with outfits.
But isn't the Yogurt Ring supposed to be a functional second outfit for Tao and Anri?

EDIT:
Oh, no! It's different.
You have to use the ring on a character instead of giving it the him/her, right?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Sat Dec 16 2017 1:29pm

Yeah, IIRC it's the status effect from its use that causes the appearance change.

Any usable item seems to go straight to bursting into flames when used if they can be sold to deals, even if "chance to crack" isn't checked. With "sells to deals" unchecked, they crack and turn into the item on the next page as normal.

Also, automatic passing apparently passes to characters without checking if they've actually joined the Force or not. I first lost the Sword of Light to this and then again to the above. :eyebrow:
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Wed Dec 20 2017 7:47pm

The yogurt ring changes the sprite of the character wearing it to Jogurt and can be used on another force member to change their sprite to Jogurt as well. I believe using the ring twice on a character undoes the effect.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Wed Dec 27 2017 2:54am

If anyone would like to help me figure out the battle sprite bug in my Kane build, here's a patch for the current test version. Adds him to the party in place of Lowe for easy testing in the first battle.

Kane Recruitment.ips

Looking for some help here, should be totally done once I can get this figured out. Thanks in advance.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Fri Dec 29 2017 9:14pm

I'll See what I can do Tyradan, as I am nearing completion of the 1.0 SF1; 12 MM Hack.

EDIT; Oh no... I had the same bug too. Before I started work on previous mentioned hack, I was working on the Shining Horse, but this same thing happened to me. I think we might've just found one of the biggest editor bugs to date. Perhaps it's time to contact Rubix, as I have tried everything to fix the glitch. I went through, checked all the sprites, re-assigned everyone's animations, and nothing. :confused:
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Sat Dec 30 2017 2:25am

I've had that bug pop up. It only popped up when I enabled extended characters and classes, so it could be affected by that, as I had yet to see the bug before then.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sat Dec 30 2017 4:24am

I'd say it's 100% Extended Characters. I switched to that because I was told it was the best way to get around my issues using Jogurt. Ugh.

EDIT:
Turning Extend Characters back off seems to have fixed the sprite issue. So it's definitely something with that setting.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Sun Dec 31 2017 10:58am

As I see, the Extended Characters feature is not functional yet.
We should write a list of issues to the date.

The issues with changing Jogurt doesn't seem hard to be fixed. At least, I think Rubix could make it almost in no time.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby monkbarron » Sun Dec 31 2017 4:37pm

I hope Rubix returns soon - Extended Characters was perfectly functional until recently.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Dec 31 2017 6:51pm

If we come up with a list of issues, I'd go ahead and message him. He usually responds to being directly messaged about issues.

What I'm aware of so far:
- Extended Characters causes all characters to use Sprite 0 in battle (or it may just use Max's, not positive).
- "Jogurt Levels" does not cause Jogurt to properly roll level-ups when he joins the force, always using base stats.
- A character in Jogurt's slot is still forced to drop an item upon their first kill. Would be nice to remove.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Sun Dec 31 2017 10:16pm

Even after promoting a 'Max-Stuck' custom character, they still retain Max's Sprites.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Dec 31 2017 10:22pm

Alright, so we can say for certain it's just locked using Sprite 0. I hadn't experimented with it that far.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Mon Jan 01 2018 1:13am

It was simple what I did; I changed the Goblin Effective level to 99, and used a custom character which will hopefully be seen in Shining Force 1 12 Man Marathon. I promoted her, and she was still sprite-locked. I sent a PM to Rubixcuber though. So unless someone has a slightly older version of the editor, we're stuck like sitting ducks.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Mon Jan 01 2018 4:54am

The last version I have is prior to Extended Characters existing, so that doesn't really help much.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Mon Jan 01 2018 6:03pm

Well, if anyone has a version before the most previous update, then we'll be good.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Tue Jan 02 2018 1:05am

There's an old version hosted on the same page as the current download, but it's much too old. November 2016.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Tue Jan 02 2018 1:30am

Yeah, it IS wayyyyyy too old.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member