Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/8/17 (v2.12.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby monkbarron » Sat Jul 15 2017 11:07pm

sulfuroxp wrote:It's possible to import spells and Ítems icons?

It's possible to get more than 99 ATK?

Ramladu now have AURA Lv4. He use any level of AURA but with unlimited range

1. Semi - Somewhat. if you understand what you are doing.

2. Yes. If the ATT stat is at 99, then you can have another thing equipped and it will do 100+ DMG.

3. Hmm, Is this a bug or something you did? On my play-throughs of Vanilla SF1, I never encountered this. Of course he'd be dead in like, three hits.

Also, you have a few grammar errors. :thumbsup:
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Jul 17 2017 1:06pm

To clarify the points monk has made somewhat-

1: Icon graphics are exported with the rest of the graphics in the "GFX" folder. Simply change them in there and import. Be sure to use the same palette colours as the default sprites, though, or you may end up with some odd colour changes.

2: Actually, no. The attack stat is hard capped at 99. This can be removed in the mechanics window by checking the "stat cap to 127" checkbox which, as the name entails, sets all stat caps that used to be 99 (all but movement, I believe) to 127 instead. Be aware, this does remove the "infinite mp" effect that several boss enemies have when their mp is set to 100.

3: This could be an issue related to how ranges like Aura 4 are treated by the AI. If a spell can hit all allies or all enemies, the AI can target them with that spell from anywhere on the map, regardless of range. I am not sure why this occurs, I would have to ask Rubix himself.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Mon Jul 17 2017 5:29pm

@SG: Your posts are always extremely informative and helpful. I was not aware of the 'infinite MP' issue with enemies, so thank you for mentioning it.

@RC: If possible, could you instruct us on how to work around the Aura 4 issue as highlighted above?

I'm hoping to work with Dan on designing some new Dark Dragon hybrid artwork, with the first one up being a splicing of Zeon and Dark Dragon. But for now...

WARNING: SPOILER!
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Jul 17 2017 6:36pm

I wasn't sure I followed what was going on with the Aura 4 stuff at first. If you give an enemy Aura 4 they usually make use of it just fine and it heals all the enemies as expected.

But if you have my Smart Heal AI enabled then what happens is they start to cast Aura 4, decide that it is overkill and downgrade to a lower level of Aura and then get to cast that at far range.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's an easy way to rectify that. Basically the smart healing AI allows the enemy to cast a lower level heal spell at the range of their highest level, because they choose a target before evaluating what spell level to cast and doing it the other way around would be quite tricky.

So for now, I think you have to choose between giving them smarter AI with the bonus of getting to cheat range a bit when they downgrade the spell level, or using the normal AI.

(I think that complication is exactly why they didn't try to allow them to choose heal spell levels originally, it just doesn't fit into their AI framework)
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Mon Jul 17 2017 8:05pm

Thank you for your response, RC.

- I've been wanting to ask this for a long time now, but it's always slipped my mind: Is there a reason for why dragging map sprites on the 'Town' screens feels so stiff? On the Battle screen, I can drag enemies around with no trouble at all, but on the Town screen, I have great difficulty in doing so with map sprites.

- I intend to test this myself, but any input from yourself, RC, would be invaluable; are you aware if there are any palette issues with enemy characters if they are equipped with a weapon? I intend to have some new enemies designed that make use of almost all available colour palette slots - exceeding the 'safe' limit for Force members whom use weapons. However, I notice that by default most enemies (even ones with weapons quipped) make use of the extra colour palette slots and present no problems whatsoever. Would it be safe to presume that I can design an enemy character, equip him with a weapon, and make use of those extra colour palette slots -- whilst not altering the background, black or white slots -- and not encounter any issues? If this is the case, Zeon-Dragon will be next.

- Is it possible to have Force members use certain battle frames when attacking with a weapon (perhaps x_2/x_3), and different battle frames when using a spell (let's say x_4/x_5)? If this is possible then I'll be able to get some new artwork produced for the spellcasters of the Force.

- How difficult do you feel it would be to allow for additional weapon sprites? Not necessarily new weapons but additional sword or staff or axe sprites? I'm itching to roll out some new weapon designs.

Thank you for your time, RC. I realise this all takes time out of development and your free time; I just thought it best I ask now as it'll help with designing new artwork in future.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Mon Jul 17 2017 10:29pm

rubixcuber wrote::shifty:

WARNING: SPOILER!

Awesome!! :shock: Love it!! ;)
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Jul 17 2017 11:01pm

projectego wrote:Is there a reason for why dragging map sprites on the 'Town' screens feels so stiff?

I'm guessing you maximize the editor? The town screen at the very least doesn't appear to let you drag in the expanded area outside of where the un-maximized view is. I'll have to fix that.

projectego wrote:I intend to test this myself, but any input from yourself, RC, would be invaluable; are you aware if there are any palette issues with enemy characters if they are equipped with a weapon?

rubixcuber wrote:From tinkering with it in Gens with the debug screen where you can see the palettes and hide everything using a certain palette, my understanding was this:

Palette 1: Background
Palette 2: Platform, Weapon, Spell Effect
Palette 3: Force Sprite, GUI
Palette 4: Enemy

So, from what I've seen Enemies shouldn't conflict with anything and Force members have the GUI colors stuffed over their palette. So they have the blue, red, two gold shades, black and white sharing space in that palette slot.

projectego wrote:Is it possible to have Force members use certain battle frames when attacking with a weapon (perhaps x_2/x_3), and different battle frames when using a spell (let's say x_4/x_5)?

Sure? I mean they are totally different animations. For example Tao uses animations 7 for attacking and 8 for casting. And you can edit those animations and assign whatever frames you want. (In the animation sets, 129 = casting)

projectego wrote:How difficult do you feel it would be to allow for additional weapon sprites?

I could be crazy, but didn't I already add that and perhaps even at your request?

Firing up the editor I see that the weapon sprites have the 'Add Sprite' button. So you'd just add one there and set the weapon sprite on the item? Or was there some sort of problem with that?
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby monkbarron » Mon Jul 17 2017 11:08pm

I might attempt making new weapons myself, anyways, I've started work on my own full PC game, so I might not be able to post as much.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Mon Jul 17 2017 11:20pm

rubixcuber wrote:I'm guessing you maximize the editor? The town screen at the very least doesn't appear to let you drag in the expanded area outside of where the un-maximized view is. I'll have to fix that.

I always run with the Editor maximised, yes. I just checked the Town screen whilst viewing in the default window size and I was able to drag around map sprites as expected. Thank you for adding it to the to-fix list.

rubixcuber wrote:Palettes...

My apologies, I recall reading that post but at the time was very much focused on Force member palettes only, so your findings regarding enemy palettes must have slipped by me. I'll make sure to factor in your results going forward with artwork production.

rubixcuber wrote:Animations...

Understood. This is something I would have liked to have checked, myself, but currently do not have access to my home computer. I didn't want to keep my artist waiting so I thought I'd raise the question.

rubixcuber wrote:Weapon sprites...

I just checked the changelog and you did indeed add this feature in December. I have no idea how this slipped by me. The last I remember of our talks regarding this was you mentioning that it was posing a harder task than you had anticipated. My apologies for missing this addition, also. Thank you for adding this feature - I can already think of dozens of applications for this. Amazing work!

Edit: I'm looking at ways of improving the effectiveness of the Muddle spell, as it seems that the Internet unanimously agrees that it is currently a near-broken spell and not nearly as effective as the Muddle spell seen in SF2. I notice on the Effects screen that the Muddle 'effect' currently does not offer a percentage-based chance for its success rate. Would you happen to know what the internal % chance would be and is there any way of increasing it without disabling 'Can Fail'?
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Mon Jul 24 2017 10:49am

projectego wrote: Would you happen to know what the internal % chance would be and is there any way of increasing it without disabling 'Can Fail'?

And maybe also for the desoul spell? Depending on the opponent's resistence, of course (-25%, 0%, 25%?) ;)

I only know, that desoul shares the same chances with sleep and that 50% resistance equals immunity.
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Mon Jul 24 2017 5:13pm

Lord Kane wrote:
projectego wrote: Would you happen to know what the internal % chance would be and is there any way of increasing it without disabling 'Can Fail'?

And maybe also for the desoul spell? Depending on the opponent's resistence, of course (-25%, 0%, 25%?) ;)

I only know, that desoul shares the same chances with sleep and that 50% resistance equals immunity.

I don't know if Game Genie Codes would help, but I had one that would change desoul's percent to 100% guaranteed.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 25 2017 12:55am

Is there a way to add a base damage to desoul like in SFIII? Essentially the spell would deal damage to the target instead of doing nothing if the instability fails. I know the base damage value for status spells is currently unused and sits at 255.

Additionally, is there a way to adjust how much mp is drained through the demon rod's effect? Right now it only drains 2-3 which is... practically useless.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Thu Jul 27 2017 5:19pm

Heh, time to break the silence, eh?
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Sat Aug 05 2017 3:32am

Yo. Would it be possible to add a mandatory Shining Force members for each battle? I could use this for side-stories or for further background into characters.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Sat Aug 05 2017 6:15am

Wulfunruh wrote:Yo. Would it be possible to add a mandatory Shining Force members for each battle? I could use this for side-stories or for further background into characters.

If you mean a Solo, then all Rubix would have to do is simply add an option to fix requiring 12 force members at once, and an option to strip Max of all leadership status.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Sat Aug 05 2017 4:34pm

I think he meant something like Mae and Anri being mandatory to be used at Kane's battle. Earnest at Balbazak's, Diane at the quarry and so on...

It could be a nice touch.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShininGeek » Sun Aug 06 2017 11:33pm

It would be interesting if the leader status was applied to certain characters in certain fights, making them both mandatory for the fight and have you also lose if they die. It would add additional strategic consideration and encourage you to switch between characters often.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Aug 07 2017 2:40pm

Absolutely. Lobo nailed it. Is that possible?

Hell, another question. Switch characters out during battle? I'm sure using discard to reference the code from Nova switching characters. Then all you'd do is switch the text of discard? Not sure if that's how it works, but damnit it sounds good.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby monkbarron » Mon Aug 07 2017 3:44pm

Man, this all sounds amazing. If you could switch in the middle of the battle that would definitely be cool, as you can have the whole Shining Force in the Final Battle.
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Aug 07 2017 3:52pm

It certainly seems like it would be possible, though the game might not like changing those data values mid battle, it would require testing on our part if it were ever implemented.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force