Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Team Shining in the Darkness #2

Complete!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Team Shining in the Darkness #2

Postby zexxar » Mon Feb 20 2017 7:30am

As I said Swalch I'm really sorry but level 4 is probably my favorite, but good luck in the trial of wisdom :)

Maybe next time MXC can PM you before even creating a thread, if you ask him to do so nicely ;)
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Tue Feb 21 2017 12:53am

If there are quibbles over not wanting to do Trial of Wisdom, I don't mind handling it in exchange for Level 2... though I probably wouldn't have time to do it before next Sunday.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Tue Feb 21 2017 7:28am

I don't think there are any quibbles, as I understood Swalchy is doing it now, after I offered it to him, otherwise I could I could also do it by myself :)

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Tue Feb 21 2017 1:58pm

I think Swalchy may have gotten lost in the labyrinth ;)

Also, happy birthday, Cull! :)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Tue Feb 28 2017 2:34pm

Swalchy really seems to be lost in the labyrinth. If he won't show up until the weekend I will just do it.

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Tue Feb 28 2017 2:49pm

I talked to him briefly and he said he hoped to have it done yesterday. Maybe he's turned into Mortred?
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Tue Feb 28 2017 6:06pm

Apologies guys - been a busy week! I'm literally doing the battle as I type this - just wait a few hours, and I'll be done ;)
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Tue Feb 28 2017 8:53pm

MXC wrote:Maybe he's turned into Mortred?

If he did it will be my pleasure to 'free' him from being possessed :evilgrin: ... but sadly he already showed up :(

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Tue Feb 28 2017 9:10pm

:lol:
Miststück!

Trial of Wisdom - Passed!

You're correct that you were a little underpowered there, MXC - At levels 22-23 now :)

Maxed out the current best equipment the guys can have - though with the Mithril Ore just found in ToW, finally getting some of those mithril weapons :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Way To Yahuweh

The Way To Yahuweh

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Wed Mar 01 2017 7:12am

Swalchy wrote::lol:
Miststück!

Oh Swalchy finally found out of the dungeon again and the first thing he does is insulting me ... I think he is still tunring into Mortred :shock: ... Luckily I will end his suffering as Darksol's minion soon :thumbsup:

:lol:

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Wed Mar 01 2017 2:16pm

Yeah that is also a sign of him being possessed or brainwashed.
Darksol is erasing his memories as the first step of the brainwashing, that's why he couldn't give a more detailed report :lol:

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Mar 02 2017 7:51pm

Agreed on the weak summary... though I may have blindsided you all with my epic battle reports. :biggrin:

Sorry for the delay in following up on this - been busy with a few things so haven't had a chance to get to work on the next chapter. Should get it done either tomorrow or Saturday.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Thu Mar 02 2017 7:54pm

No sweat, Cull. Take your time, we all know Swalchy did ;)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Mon Mar 06 2017 12:30am

I'm afraid I haven't been able to complete this chapter over the weekend as promised. :( However, I've been able to at least make an attempt this evening, and can provide a progress report...

- Checked team's equipment... generally looking good, though if it were me I'd have kitted Milo with the Flail for spread damage. Still, let's see how the Battle Axe handles.

- Sold Hiro's Bronze Shield and replaced it with a Madu... probably gonna need that extra attack power for some things coming up...

- Off to see the King to show him how AWESOME the posse has become. My main man Tristan bigs me up. Melvyl couldn't handle the awesome so scarpered before I arrived.

- Trader's now in town, so I decide to do a bit of crafting... seems every game's doing it these days. I have no time for cursed gear, so I sell the Dark Blocks (and the Herb Water and now redundant keys) to get enough to make some Mithril Armour for Milo.

- A quick stop into the Tavern for some HOT 'N' SAUCY SPANKING ACTION! Old Vic nods in approval. Mr. Brax just scratches himself... no, not there.

- Oh arse, Dai's already been returned. I was looking forward to a bit of tally-ho with my adventuring. :p Oh well, at least I can get healed up at the Inn without him running off... or at least I will in a bit.

- Hello Slimy Ooze, are you here to witness my AWESOME?

- Hello Slimy Oozes, are you also here to witness my AWESOME?

- Grimwall cannot stand the Pyra's AWESOME blow.

- Killer bees? How about KILLER- ZEE...ROS? Oh, just die already.

- Off to the second level first encounter is a lone Driffid. It falls before my AWESOME. I then grab the Mithril Ore conveniently left by the entrance, then a little grinding to get Pyra to L23. A veritable swarm of Fungoids helps out with that... can they handle the AWESOME? Well, they but up a good fight, but alas, no.

- Ouch. Bunch of Deadheads by the entrance take down Hiro, and almost take out Milo who's not got enough MP left to revive him. Time to go back to pick some more AWESOME kit.

- Two battles with two groups of two enemies back on level 1. Milo misses his AWESOME Flail.

- Crumbuckets. After collecting Milo's Mithril Armour, selling his old Bronze Armour and reviving Hiro, I'm left with just under the 10000 gold needed to craft a Mithril Shield for Pyra. Oh well, back to the labyrinth - a bit of grinidng in the early levels should get me the AWESOME cash I need.

- A bit of inventory management - Milo gets Pyra's Angel Feather, Hiro gets Milo's Healing Fruit. That way the items are avaialble to people who don't have spell equivalents if things get nasty. :p

- Fungoids divide in two. My AWESOME divides them into several little pieces.

- Sorceror casts Bolt L1. Hiro casts AWESOME. AWESOME wins every time.

- Milo learns the AWESOME power of Desoul!

- Holy crap! Hiro gains another rare (and very much needed) 3 Defence Points! AWESOME!

- Brikeyes! The party do a lousy job against them, failing to spread their attacks for a quicker win. Milo takes more 25-30HP hits than I like to see. Not AWESOME.

- Damn... for a party passed on from Stephen "power level" Walchy, the team feels way underpowered and unAWESOME. :p

- If Milo's going to be using an axe, I guess I'm going to have to Make Axes Great Again. Gird your loins, we're taking on a Sentinel... Pyra Boosts Hiro's Attack! Milo casts Quick L2 on the party! Sentinel hits Hiro for 56! Hiro hits Sentinel for 96! Pyra boosts Milo's attack! Milo hits for 44! Hiro hits for 90! Sentinel dies!... That felt too easy. At least Milo gets a better Great Axe, and the quest continues.

- Our first Maligators! :D Sadly Milo's Great Axe doesn't feel so great, as even with Pyra's help he can't take out his reptitilian target. Not AWESOME at all. :(

- Pyra learns Heal L2. I'd have expected her to have already learned it by now, but am glad she can properly assist with healing duties now. AWESOME.

- Maybe Milo's Great Axe will take out a Deadhead? No, he misses. UnAWESOME imbecile.

- Maybe a quick and AWESOME stroll outside and some fresh air will clear everyone's heads?

- Manage to make it to one set of MP draining vines before Kromeball can jump me, which is an AWESOME relief...

- Only a team as unAWESOME as this could catch a group by surprise and MISS EVERY ATTACK...

- SHIT! KROMEBALL! And with low MP... barely survive the attack, and don't take it out before it explodes and Milo's out of MP...

- BARELY make it to the Magic Hood chest alive. Hiro has 59HP, Milo has 64HP, Pyra has 20HP. Abosolutely 0 MP. Good thing I checked we had an Angel Feather before we set off (and we got one as a drop earlier)... and fortunately just after Hiro and Milo level up! What an AWESOME stroke of luck...

- Back to the town to rest and sell some goods, and buy some decent kit that doesn't leave our arses covered in bruises. I sell Milo's mouldy fur hood, and get an AWESOME Mithril Shield crafted for Pyra. I'm way short of enough money for the AWESOME Magic Mail, but it's not much to trade Pyra's Hemp Robe for a Leather one.

And, at 11:30pm, that's where things take a pause for now. Hopefully I can complete the level tomorrow evening...

...Though I've had a thought while running this level. Once it's finished, you're expected to return to Xern to collect the Medallion, then play though the level again to drop off the Medallion. Is this part of my chapter, or should I pass it on to the next player once I've collected the Medallion from Xern?
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Mon Mar 06 2017 1:35am

What an AWESOME report.

I'd normally say to pass the save on to the next person. Since the next person is me though, you can do what you wish. Just let me know how far you made it :)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Mon Mar 06 2017 11:25pm

Back to the fray!

- SHIT! Reaper Desoul takes out Hiro, then their Fungoid buddies poison Milo and Pyra! >:(

- Brikeyes? In the same spot? Crying out loud... and guess what? Hiro misses yet again!

- f*ck! Milo gets downed by another Reaper's Desoul. And the battle drags on far too long from misses. You know what? Screw this, I'm egressing, resting and reviving, and Milo's getting back his Flail.

- Great Axe hits Sorcerors for ~50 damage. Flail hits Sorcerors twice for ~30 damage, AND each hit is finishing off many early level enemies when paired with Pyra. I think I made the right weapon choice.

- Pyra learns Freeze L3. Cool.

- Sorceror drops a Hemp Robe. Dammit I just sold one of these!

- HURRAH! No Brikeyes this time!

- I feel sorry for the newborn Fungoids. Seems the first thing they all see is Hiro AWESOME sword...

- Reapers go down from Pyra's whip and a single hit from Milo's flail? I definitely made the AWESOME weapon choice!

- YEAH REAPER THINK YOU CAN SNEAK UP ON MY TEAM AND DESOUL ME AGAIN WELL YOU SAW MY AWESOME FLAIL TAKE YOUR BUDDY DOWN EARLIER YEAH YOU BETTER RUN TO YO MAMMA

- Damn, that Maligator must have eaten some wicked curry. After belching some seering hot chilli breath, he pegs it - supposedly in need of the gents...

- Hot damn, 8HP level up for Milo? ...No wait, it's for Hiro, not so groovy. Dang similar names.

- Chilli the Maligator returns with his curry buddies - a second Maligator and a couple of Salamanders. Hot stuff coming through (and going down)!

- CRYING OUT LOUD MALIGATORS WHY D'YA HAVE TO BE A COUPLE OF DICKS AND DOUBLE SCORCHING BREATH ME IN THE MIDDLE OF KROMEBALL KORRIDOR DON'T YOU KNOW THIS PLACE IS AN EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS HAZARD?

- And of course, next battle is a Kromeball. Fortunately Hiro gets in an UBER-AWESOME blow thanks to Pyra's boost spell, and Milo finishes it off next turn with his AWESOME Flail. No boom today!

- Sodding Kamils and their sodding twerking.

- Time for Hiro to get some better kit. Step aside Sentinel, we want some Sun Armour... oh, you wanna DANCE? That it, one measly hit on Milo before you go? Can't you handle the AWESOME?

- FYI, I skipped battling the Sentinels guarding the paltry 300 gold and Worn Robe (speaking of which, has anyone found a use for this armour aside from selling it for 30G?).

- Oh craptastic. Forgot about the Kromeball who pops up near the end, and I didn't heal up Hiro from the last battle. Fingers crossed he doesn't get hit... and of course that's exactly what happens, immediately after getting boost and quick spells cast on him. Milo revives him, Kromeball immediately double hits Milo to death. Dick. Luckily Pyra hits it with an L2 Sleep next turn while Milo revives AGAIN, and Kromeball continues sleeping twice! Milo (having been boosted earlier) and Milo bring on the pain, Kromeball sleeps but suddenly wakes up! At the elventh hour, Milo's boosted power and AWESOME flail's double hits save the day before it explodes... phew!

- Dammit, Milo, just when you were becoming AWESOME. You had to miss those Kamils and leaves our eyes burning from their twerking, didn't you?

- Ooooooh, shiny water? I wonder what that's about?

And at the bottom of the stairs, to Level 3, I've called it a day. I've made the save state here, ready for MXC to decide whether to plough ahead for a bit or go straight back for the Medallion.

If you're feeling REALLY brave, you could try ploughing on for the Mystic Rope before returning back and collecting L2's hold goodies along the way (and even grabbing the Mithril Ore back in the Cave of Strength)... though it's quite a way through level 3, and MP's down to around 50-60 each.

FYI, I've also kept hold of the Great Axe if (for some bizarre reason) you'd rather switch it for Milo's Flail. There are also a few dropped and redundant items that can be sold too.

Here's the file and stat summary:

Code: Select all
HIRO [L26]:
[HP: 226][ATTACK: 114][DEFENCE: 38]
[MP:  0 ][IQ: 95][SPEED: 64][LUCK: 54]

MILO [L25]:
[HP: 170][ATTACK: 78][DEFENCE: 50]
[MP: 137][IQ: 123][SPEED: 87][LUCK: 104]

PYRA [L25]:
[HP: 146][ATTACK: 56][DEFENCE: 69]
[MP: 146][IQ: 138][SPEED: 115][LUCK: 91]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Thu Mar 09 2017 3:44am

Not much of a report from me since I played this while on the treadmill.

Resumed from Cull's save and managed to make it to the Mystic Rope before getting the hell out of there.

Stopped by to purchase the Dwarf's Key back and was offered some Mithril Ore which I gladly purchased.

Ran to the Cave of Strength and got that Mithril as well.

Just realized we're broke so it looks like I need to run back in for some gold!

Everyone levels and Milo learns Burst 3.

Ran back to level 2 to rope up to level 3 for the GREAT FLAIL. Cull's favorite weapon :shifty:

Did the same as above to get the Storm Sword :)

Remembered that I have to talk to Xern. Oops! I needed the gold anyway :D

Made a Mithril Axe for Milo so he quits hitting like a wuss.

Made a Mithril Shield for Milo so he quits taking a hit like a wuss.

And with all that spending, we still can't afford a Magic Mail. Oh well! Back into the fray :)

Finally (it has been half an hour) toss half of the Medallion into the puddle of piss.

Pop up to Level 4 to fight the Guardian and remember how much he destroys my face. In desperation, I cast Desoul... and it actually works. Giddy with my stupid luck, I pick up the Elven Hood and pass it to Milo. Totally worth it?

Everyone has now leveled twice but I'm still 1k short of the Magic Mail :stare:

I get the 1k from an anonymous donor (your mother).

Milo and Pyra only need their end-game helms to complete their sets (Unless you want Pyra to have the Hex Whip). Hiro needs everything.

Pyra levels for the third time and learns Bolt 2

Head to level 4 and get the Enduro Staff and fight some Vyper's for 5 minutes because they like to paralyze. At least Hiro levels for the third time.

Head up to level 4 yet again (because I'm a glutton for punishment) and almost get destroyed completely by a bunch of Meat Zombies. I make it through and get Milo his third level up and Heal 4 :D I get some Holy Water and another Mithril Ore.

Pick up the Light Helm for Hiro.

Pyra levels to 29.

OH SHIT A BLACKBONE. I was not prepared for this. But I kill him anyway.

Hiro levels to 30.

Milo levels to 29.

Pyra levels to 30.

Hiro levels to 31.

Dark Sol is such a troll.

Not sure if everyone is leveled up properly but they seemed fine to me. One Mithril is in the inventory and everyone is healed and ready to go.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Thu Mar 09 2017 8:07am

Will probably do it on Saturday no time before then.

Edit:

After having to start over 2 time because I was so unlucky with the Insta kills :( I was finally able to achieve my first goal which is always getting my hand on the Light Blade so that I can spam Bolt for free :) .Because I still had some MP left I tried to get my hands also on the Frost Armor and the Healing Ring which I also could get. After getting those Items I egressed.

But I was always wondering why Pyras damage was so low until I noticed that she is still equipped with the Thorn Whip. So I made a newly Hex Whip and then paused for now. Maybe I will do some leveling before going to beat some sense into Mortred.

Edit 2:

I went in another time and wanted to level some which is quite easy with Bolt 3 from the Light Blade and the Hex Whip most groups are taken down quite easy. I also made it to the Hand Eaters because I thought they'd give some more Exp but instead one of them droppen a Black Box :shock: . I continued leveling using it until it cracked. Went out and after repairing it went in another time, this time I made it to Mortred and on the way I got a Miracle Herb as a drop, also nice :D . Morted was easy to take down because he never did a critical hit and I always kept the heal up with Pyra and Milo. But because I forgot to take out the coin I have to get in another time to activate the fountain on level 4 :(

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining in the Darkness