Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining in the Darkness 2.0 Battle Editon

It's finally here guys!!!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining in the Darkness 2.0 Battle Editon

Postby ShiningForever » Tue Dec 04 2012 11:12am

Finally, After over two months of working on this classic gem I've finally completed the official upgrade! I have played through the entire game multiple times with two different emulators, and I must say that I had quite a bit of fun with the new and improved difficulty! Monsters and Items have (In my opinion) been precisely tweaked adding significant challenge but keeping the game fair without being impossible to beat. There is so much different about both the items and the monsters that it almost feels like a whole new experience just playing through the game! :excited:

My inspiration for this upgrade comes from both my love of this game and the awesome dreams I would have where I would somehow end up discovering a secret floor in the labyrinth! It was so surreal! I would end up encountering new monsters I hadn't ever seen before and there would be new events and shops. But it always sucked when I woke up. Anyway, after a long time of searching online for secrets to this game I eventually came across shiningforcecentral! It was so cool to see people who were just as crazy about this game as I was! OK, well maybe not THAT crazy lol. To sum everything up, my sole purpose of making this upgrade is to breathe new life into this amazing gem for one last time. If I can make just ONE person happy and take them back into time with a fun new experience I will consider my mission fulfilled! :)

I would like to thank everybody for their help and inspiring ideas in creating this upgrade. I would also like to give a special thanks to both LordOddeyesama and DarkKobold for their extensive help. Without DarkKobold making the editor, It would have been impossible for me to make this upgrade, And if it wasn't for LordOddeyesama, I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing :lol:

For anybody that plays Shining in the Darkness Battle Edition 2.0, I would love to hear your input on it! Everybody is welcome to share their adventure and experiences here! With the high difficulty, I'm sure there will be some hilarious moments!

Last but Certainly not least... Helpful TIPS!!!

1. Always be prepared, Especially for event monsters like Kaiserkrab, Chestbeak, Etc. These monsters are much stronger then you last remember and are awaiting revenge for the last time you beat them! Carry healing Items!
2. Monster Drops are different! Muddle can be very helpful here!
3. Items also have different properties. Pay close attention to how some of the items work in battle and how they affect your stats. For added fun, Find you favorite item combination that works for you in the game!
4. Monsters get stronger FAST, and will eat you alive if you don't keep gaining levels.
5. Save frequently. While I have glitch tested the game extensively, I also added a few things at the last moment, so save frequently just to be safe.
6. Don't get too upset if you die frequently, I personally died several times while testing the game and playing through it. In fact, If you can beat the ENTIRE game without dying once, I will declare you the "True Shining Knight". If you don't like hard games, you may want to avoid this one.
7. Items are much more expensive, So save up your gold!

Thanks again for showing interest in my topic everyone, and I hope you have as much fun playing it as I did. I would love to see if anybody can actually beat this! :excited:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ShiningForever on Thu Dec 06 2012 3:12am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Shining in the Darkness 2.0 Battle Editon

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Dec 04 2012 1:17pm

Firing this up, let's see how well I can do. By the way, the hero can't equip Bronze Knife despite starting with it. Is that intended?
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Thoth92 » Tue Dec 04 2012 3:44pm

Can't wait to get started on this. Having problems getting it working though, got a new Windows 8 pc which may be the problem, its saying its patched ok but then it wont load up on Kega or Gens+? Any chance someone could pm me a ready patched file? Also, is it likely to work on a PSP, picodrive?
"One fine morning, I awoke to discover that, during the night, I had learned to understand the language of birds. I have listened to them ever since. They say: 'Look at me!' or: 'Get out of here!' or: 'Let's f**k!' or: 'Help!' or: 'Hurrah!' or: 'I found a worm!' and that's all they say. And that, when you boil it down, is about all we say. (Which of those things am I saying now?)"

http://jrobsonphotography.com/
"One fine morning, I awoke to discover that, during the night, I had learned to understand the language of birds. I have listened to them ever since. They say: 'Look at me!' or: 'Get out of here!' or: 'Let's f**k!' or: 'Help!' or: 'Hurrah!' or: 'I found a worm!' and that's all they say. And that, when you boil it down, is about all we say. (Which of those things am I saying now?)"

Thoth92

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Dec 04 2012 4:40pm

So I'm past the Kaiserkrab and have formed my party (no death yet). Nobody can equip the Bronze Knife for some reason, and since it costs nothing it's basically useless as soon as you unequip it once. Good thing I have money to upgrade things at once!
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningForever » Tue Dec 04 2012 7:24pm

Thanks for letting me know about the bronze knife issue. Every now and then for some unknown reason, either the bronze knife or slimy oozes stats will go blank after writing the rom. Luckily, this is very easy to fix! If you run into any more issues let me know and I will fix them.

You probably already knew this, but you can fix the bronze knife issue by applying the new patch without having to start over! Just replace previous rom and rename it the same as it was before and the emulator will remember where you left off.

Hows the difficulty so far? Have you ran into any difficult or annoying monsters yet? Great job on getting past the Kaiserkrab. He is a lot stronger than before. Also, how are the new item prices?

Thoth92, I will pm you!
Last edited by ShiningForever on Tue Dec 04 2012 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby zeodrake » Tue Dec 04 2012 7:45pm

Just tested the hack, for it to work the rom must have the bin extension. Also it works on Picodrive(where im playing the game).
The Bronze Knife now has value but it still cant be equiped.
zeodrake

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Dec 04 2012 9:11pm

To spoil as little as possible, it was hard to get off the ground with a first level up. However, I could have avoided that by buying the first weapon instead of sticking to the base equipment. The new prices manage to split the equipment choices across the game more than the old prices, I can't wait to see more novelty weapon stats too (the morningstar is very convenient for my hero at the moment). On a side note, I haven't been affected by the web attack yet, despite seeing it used against me over 20 times so far. :lol: Maybe it'll change now that I have a full group.

Oh and Kaiserkrab is indeed tough, I met him twice so far and prevailed both times, though the second time could have ended badly if not for Pyra casting Slow before dying a horrible death.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningForever » Tue Dec 04 2012 11:20pm

lol, I guess you are just lucky. I got hit by the web attack a lot during testing and would often be unable to move while the monsters pummeled me! I'm guessing you are in the cave of strength? If so I'm sure you'll quickly notice the sharp rise in difficulty.

Good luck! :)

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Wed Dec 05 2012 12:14am

Not quite at the cave of strength yet... I opened the bronze door then at the very first corner I encountered that second kaiserkrab, so I went to inn and called it a day. XD
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningForever » Thu Dec 06 2012 3:09am

Ok, I've updated the patch again! I decided to change a few of things later in the game so I would highly suggest downloading this updated patch.

The bronze knife has been fixed in this update. It seems I'd added the values but forgot to make it equippable! One weird thing I noticed is that when you use Milo's vision on either the bronze knife or short sword, it says it is a weapon for magic users and can't be equipped by Milo? It also says this with the unedited rom as well. Oh well, At least they still work how they should.

I'd love to hear how you guys progress through the game! :)

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Dec 06 2012 1:49pm

I've cleared the trial of strength mostly unharmed, likely thanks to my equipment (morningstar + main gauche + Hiro = convenient sweeper) and being close to level 20 at the time. I went a bit too far into the cave of courage and am noticing an increase in difficulty that may prompt another equipment upgrade and some leveling. I turned Pyra into a real fighter with wood shield and thorn whip so I can probably do the same to Milo, and boost Hiro's defense somewhat if funds allow it, or hell I can go on a hunt since things tend to drop a lot more in this hack (Pyra has been using a steel saber since the start of the cave of strength). So yeah, my party remains undefeated... To be continued!
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Thoth92 » Thu Dec 06 2012 1:50pm

Ok got this up and running now. Will put my experiences and playthrough so far in spoilers in case people dont want to know changes until they play it:

WARNING: SPOILER!

Thoth92

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Dec 06 2012 2:11pm

Thoth92 wrote:

Just got done with an intense fight against TORTOLYDE, I'll probably egress soon. I've also found a flail so my offensive power is top notch at the moment.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby zeodrake » Thu Dec 06 2012 3:25pm

Wanted to ask if it was intended that the morningstar gives negative wpn factor (Milo goes from 68 to 54 when equipped) and the longspear giving no wpn factor (same as unarmed but attacks twice).
zeodrake

Postby ShiningForever » Fri Dec 07 2012 1:58am

Great Thoth! I'm glad you finally got a chance to try it out! You're in for a wild ride! :)

Lord Oddeye, Have you downloaded the recent upgrade yet? The change with the Pitworms was a last minute idea I had, so it only happens in the patch upgrade I posted yesterday. And yes, Drops are more common now. Glad to see you're still hanging in there! You didn't have problems with any of the monsters in the cave of strength? Wow. Maybe you can actually complete this without dying, But you are in for a LOT of nasty surprises, so be prepared! Enjoying the changes thus far? :excited:

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Dec 07 2012 10:27am

ShiningForever wrote:Lord Oddeye, Have you downloaded the recent upgrade yet? The change with the Pitworms was a last minute idea I had, so it only happens in the patch upgrade I posted yesterday. And yes, Drops are more common now. Glad to see you're still hanging in there! You didn't have problems with any of the monsters in the cave of strength? Wow. Maybe you can actually complete this without dying, But you are in for a LOT of nasty surprises, so be prepared! Enjoying the changes thus far? :excited:

That makes sense, I'm well past that point and haven't checked back since your new patch obviously.

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningForever » Fri Dec 07 2012 11:31am

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Dec 07 2012 11:54am

ShiningForever wrote:

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Dec 18 2012 8:50am

I'll be doing a play through with full commentary, obviously not via video given our current circumstances, after the holiday season is over.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Dec 18 2012 9:56am

Chaos Wizard wrote:I'll be doing a play through with full commentary, obviously not via video given our current circumstances, after the holiday season is over.

You can and I totally encourage it. Just make it unlisted and you'll go under the radar. :)

Oh and I've cleared floor 2. I plan to carry on later.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining in the Darkness