Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining in the Darkness Editor + Very Alpha Map Editor

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining in the Darkness Editor + Very Alpha Map Editor

Postby DarkKobold » Thu Jun 02 2011 11:44pm

Check out RPG classics if you want an idea on how many of them looked, but by all mean take the easy route if necessary and thank you very much for doing this at all.

This.

Actually, I'll make it easier.
Spinner

Stairs up

Chest

Moss

Fountain

Gold Fountain

Floor Hole

Floor Torch

Jail Door

Fake Wall

Wall Torch

Green Door

Puddle

Sentinel

Gray Door

Stairs Down

Trial Door

I'm sure I'm missing some... but this is a good start. Anyway, thanks a ton, I'm sure everyone will be happy with you for making these.
Last edited by DarkKobold on Fri Jun 03 2011 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nightshade00123 » Fri Jun 03 2011 1:29am

Ahhh.....I see well from what I read above 20x20 pixels if I'm not mistaken is the size needed so I will start making a few of these tonight. This will give me something to do for a bit.

Also keep in mind 20x20 ain't much to work with but they should be noticeable as to what they are, and if I can't make em look appropriate I might improvise a little but you'll now what it is.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DarkKobold » Fri Jun 03 2011 2:36am

nightshade00123 wrote: Also keep in mind 20x20 ain't much to work with but they should be noticeable as to what they are, and if I can't make em look appropriate I might improvise a little but you'll now what it is.

Improvise a lot, if you desire. So long as they are different from each other, that they can easily be referenced, then job well done. The table for 'what is what' will be off to the right, so no big worries.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nightshade00123 » Fri Jun 03 2011 3:48am

Well I have 4 of them done, the green and grey door, wall torch, treasure chest. Also their in gif format just so you know.

Here they are. Tell me if something should look different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DarkKobold » Fri Jun 03 2011 4:09am

nightshade00123 wrote:Well I have 4 of them done, the green and grey door, wall torch, treasure chest. Also their in gif format just so you know.

Here they are. Tell me if something should look different.

These look awesome! Thank you! Is there anyway you could do either a gray-scale or color invert for the "See Tiles"? (Not sure what image program you are using, but I hope you could do one automagically). The game reads "See tiles" as tiles which you can 'see' the item from, but aren't actually standing on.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nightshade00123 » Fri Jun 03 2011 4:17am

Not sure what the "see tiles" are but yeah you can always do a gray scale or lighten/darken/invert.

Almost got that angel looking wall done too.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DarkKobold » Fri Jun 03 2011 4:56am

Actually, I figured out how to use your tiles to make See tiles. Here are your images implemented:

They look awesome.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nightshade00123 » Fri Jun 03 2011 5:27am

Looks great in the editor, good job.

Well here's 2 more the trial door, which I tried my hardest to make look like an angel because it was the most noteworthy feature, and the jail doors.

If you don't like the angel, which I was kinda like well I'll see what he thinks, but I could probably redoe it. It's very heavy on the color gray too like the picture so I don't know how well you could fade it out like the other icons.

But here they are. And I will probably do more tomorrow but taking a break for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DarkKobold » Fri Jun 03 2011 8:01am

Wow, these are making the editor look great. Thanks so much.

I gave the angel a quick red tint, so she stands out more, and because the door is actually red from far away.

I won't have another chance to touch this until Wednesday, so take your time.

Oh, and here is a list of what I have so far, as far as tiles go
0 - Empty
192 - Wall
134 - Chest
38 - See Chest
129 - Green Door
33 - See Green Door
143 - Fountain
47 - See Fountain
28 - Wall Torch
60 - See Wall Torch
14 - Puddle
46 - See Puddle
29 - Floor Torch
61 - See Floor Torch
10 - Moss
42 - See Moss
130 - Gray Door
34 - See Gray Door
155 - GrimWall
59 - See GrimWall
133 - Stairs Down
37 - See Stairs Down
131- Jail Door
35 - See Jail Door
150 - Angel Door
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jun 03 2011 10:06am

Have the rest of the list.
Code: Select all
147 - Sentinel
51 - See Sentinel

21 - Teleportation Circle or Princess or Fake Princess (Cave of Truth)
53 - See Teleportation Circle or See Princess or Fake Princess (Cave of Truth)

20 - Ceiling Hole
52 - See Ceiling Hole

9 - Spinner
41 - See Spinner

139 - One-Way Door
43 - See One-Way Door

48 - Golden Fountain
144 - See Golden Fountain

132 - Stairs Up
36 - See Stairs Up

8 - Floor Hole
40 - See Floor Hole

151 - Tortolyde/Shellbeast
55 - See Tortolyde/Shellbeast

7 - Concealed Trapdoor
39 - "See" Concealed Trapdoor

56 - Water Spirit Fountain
152 - See Water Spirit Fountain

54 - Dark Sol room background vine thing?

23 - Fake Idol Slot
55 - See Fake Idol Slot

146 - Concealed Wall
50 - "See" Concealed Wall

And have a floor list for future use.

"Labyrinth"
"2nd Floor"
"3rd Floor"
"4th Floor"
"5th Floor"
"Cave of Wisdom"
"Wisdom Underground"
"Cave of Truth"
"???"
"Cave of Strength"
"Strength+Courage Underground"
"Cave of Courage"

Now I can go look for possibly unused tiles if you code me a feature to edit any square's ID.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Jun 03 2011 6:47pm

Wow, I'm so happy that this is moving along so well. :) (Not implying for this to be rushed in any ways, just happy that it looks like it will be done and done very well).

And it must be said, them pixles look fantastic. It's really great of nightshade00123 to be willing to help, epecially for one that seems to haven't even played the game yet. :shock: So yeah, that desrves alot of credit the ways I see it... And be sure to play this gem of a game one day too nightshade00123.

Well I'm gonna go plugging away now then. :( *goes shruggingly to kick something*
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jun 03 2011 6:54pm

I'm making the last adjustments to the hack so you'll have something to do soon. I only need to fix certain encounters now!
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby DarkKobold » Fri Jun 03 2011 7:09pm

Sinful Force wrote:And it must be said, them pixles look fantastic.

I have to agree, I wish I had artistic talent.

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:And have a floor list for future use.

"Labyrinth"
"2nd Floor"
"3rd Floor"
"4th Floor"
"5th Floor"
"Cave of Wisdom"
"Wisdom Underground"
"Cave of Truth"
"Cave of Truth"
"Cave of Strength"
"Strength+Courage Underground"
"Cave of Courage"

Now I can go look for possibly unused tiles if you code me a feature to edit any square's ID.

Note that if you go to the resize maps menu, the cave of truth pointers (8th and 9th pointer) have the same value. I can't for the life of me figure out why they might do that - the cave has nothing special, except perhaps the fake walls? It directly comes from the ROM... possibly a mistake by Camelot?

I am leaving on vacation tonight, but will try and add a quick pop up to change squares to specified values before I leave.

Also, unfortunately, the enemy encounter map is still very, very broken. It will take some time to fix. After that, however, I plan on making maps importable and exportable via a text file. Also, check out the preliminary enemy editor. I think it looks much better.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jun 03 2011 7:15pm

I saw. Looks promising. :)
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Fri Jun 03 2011 10:54pm

Well I finished the Fountain, Golden Fountain, and the floor torch. I'll post as a attachment again.

And sooner or later I do plan on playing this game, it's the only shining game from the genesis I never played. Heck I didn't even know it existed till I started coming to these boards.

And being the old school gamer that I am I'm sure I'll like it, it looks like alot of the dungeon crawlers I grew up on like wizardry,ultima, even dragon quest/warrior. Having played and liked all of those I'm sure this one will be the same recipe that I like and am fond of.

"EDIT" actually I'll wait before I post the next icons because I almost have the spinner and stairs done too.

"EDIT" Alright got the floor hole, spinner, and stairs going up done also. So here are 6 more icons. I'll post as attachment.

I'll do more tomorrow or the following day.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DarkKobold » Sat Jun 04 2011 2:07am

Thanks again, nightshade.

Here you go, LOS. The thing I'm most curious about is if you put a golden fountain in the trials, can you warp to them?

Spinners work, I wonder if jail doors, green doors, and gray doors work the same.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Jun 04 2011 2:37pm

The golden fountains work, as do the different doors. The red wall musts need a trigger not unlike the one used at the labyrinth's entrance. It's just a red wall, the angel door thing is a separate event.

As for the cave of truth, it's also the only place without an underground. I'll test floor traps there (they work) to see what happens. The second pointer might be the remnant of an underground level so the thing might just loop if you fall into a hole.

EDIT: Nope. Fell right into the cave of strength. But maybe this pointer used to point to a different location and they removed it.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Tue Jun 07 2011 4:41am

Well I guess that took me a little longer than I said it would but I finished the moss, puddle, sentinel, and fake wall icons. The fake wall took a little bit of improvising, instead of an eye with 2 hands on each side I just made a skull on a wall backdrop, it would have been to hard for me to make 2 hands and a central eye with so little pixel space and it wouldn't of looked right.

And also I can't for the life of me think of a good way to make a stairs going down icon. But I was thinking maybe just a bright blue,red, or green recolor of the stairs going up might suffice. If not I could try my hand at it again.

But anyways I guess that's all the pics, from what I've seen above, unless I missed one. But if you need more I might be able to do a few more. :)
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Wed Jun 08 2011 9:11pm

You might be aware of this already but here's the character table. I'm hacking around and I found the monster, item and spell names so I thought I'd check which value displays which character. The game handles name lengths like in SF2 and the optimal length for monsters is 12 characters (0D at the beginning of a name). I might modify a few names since there's room to shift data too, the bottom of the lists is filled with FFs. Here're some notes.

Space   00
0   01
1   02
2   03
3   04
4   05
5   06
6   07
7   08
8   09
9   0A
a   0B
b   0C
c   0D
d   0E
e   0F
f   10
g   11
h   12
i   13
j   14
k   15
l   16
m   17
n   18
o   19
p   1A
q   1B
r   1C
s   1D
t   1E
u   1F
v   20
w   21
x   22
y   23
z   24
A   25
B   26
C   27
D   28
E   29
F   2A
G   2B
H   2C
I   2D
J   2E
K   2F
L   30
M   31
N   32
O   33
P   34
Q   35
R   36
S   37
T   38
U   39
V   3A
W   3B
X   3C
Y   3D
Z   3E
'   3F
,   40
!   41
?   42
. (higher)   44
/   45
.   46
(   47
)   48
"   49
:   4A
#   4B
Garbage   4C-FF

Monster list start: 0x6FF1 (slimy ooze)
Item list start: 0x69E4 (bronze)
Spell list start: 0x74B2 (heal)
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby DarkKobold » Thu Jun 09 2011 2:11am

Ok, so, Enemy Encounters now display correctly, and I think I understand how they compress, so I can work on that.
Stair Linking is now editable.

Need a break from this, so here is a pretty big update, but not as far as I'd like.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining in the Darkness