Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this game?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this game?

Postby Funkymonk » Mon Sep 10 2018 8:29pm

I've tried so hard to like it believe me! I mean I love SF1&2 so naturally I wanted to play this as well but it's just not my type of game. I don't enjoy the grinding, turn based battles, repetition and frustrating difficulty. I know it's a very different type of game but it pales in comparison to SF1&2.
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't get this game?

Postby Lobo » Thu Sep 13 2018 11:44am

I like turn based battles and I love the art and some music of this game.

That said, I find it very disapointing having only one dungeon to explore.
I know the dungeon develops into a few different sets in time, but it doesn't feel enough for me.
I would be very happy if I found a way out of it and discovered a new selection screen with new town(s), castle and dungeons. Really.

The amount of grinding needed bugs me as well.
It just feel we have to roam around and face the same enemies for such a long time to be able to gain a couple of levels and earn money to buy one single weapon.

Another weak point is you only get three characters early in the game and no one else until the end (though you find some helpers sometimes). Compared to Shining Force's 30 characters it's damn few.

So, in the end I can't rate the game nearly as high as the Shining Forces.
Though I really like the atmosphere (graphic and sound, the castle, the tavern, the shops) and take it for a spin from time to time.
Just don't feel like playing it for a long time. Gone to the end only once in my life.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby acsound » Thu Sep 13 2018 7:10pm

I'm mostly not a fan of SitD's 1st-person dungeon crawling; but it's because there's no map. If you get into a random encounter while locating the Kaiser Crab, and you get disoriented (because of system limits at the time, the areas of the dungeon look similar), you're screwed as you wander and run into a random encounter far stronger than the Crab that OHKOs your party. I don't even think I got the other two main party members.

At least you made it to the end of the game. :(
acsound

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Rune » Sun Sep 23 2018 9:45pm

Related to the map issue... I find it easy to keep track of where I am, while sober, but I play video games to relax so I may also have a few drinks along the way. With that, it just makes things a pain in the ass.

Also, this is a game I never bother with without frameskip.

I think it was fantastic for its time, but there are issues with how it has aged.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Trovador » Mon Oct 01 2018 2:53am

Funkymonk wrote:I've tried so hard to like it believe me! I mean I love SF1&2 so naturally I wanted to play this as well but it's just not my type of game. I don't enjoy the grinding, turn based battles, repetition and frustrating difficulty. I know it's a very different type of game but it pales in comparison to SF1&2.

A friend of mine loves SF1, and mildly likes SF2 and is appriciate NEOand EXA. But when he played SitD he felt so Iost inside the labyrinth that he couldn't play 10% of it - I guess the battles made he feel even more lost.

He is not SFC member but I think he might understand you.

At first I found this game odd. But then I play some other first-person dungeon-crawlers RPGs. After these games I liked SitD better, for I think it is one of best games in this genre.
Trovador

The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Postby Funkymonk » Wed Oct 03 2018 4:57pm

Trovador wrote:A friend of mine loves SF1, and mildly likes SF2 and is appriciate NEOand EXA. But when he played SitD he felt so Iost inside the labyrinth that he couldn't play 10% of it - I guess the battles made he feel even more lost.

He is not SFC member but I think he might understand you.

At first I found this game odd. But then I play some other first-person dungeon-crawlers RPGs. After these games I liked SitD better, for I think it is one of best games in this genre.

It might be one of the best of its genre but that genre just feels so dated to me. Even when I first played it back in the early 90s it felt dated, much more so then SF1 & 2 which actually felt like a breath of fresh air at the time.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining in the Darkness