Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Is this game worth playing?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Is this game worth playing?

Postby qkzkfk010 » Fri Jul 22 2016 10:27am

I've played through the Sf1 -> Sf2 storyling (gaidens, final conflict) and from what I understand, SF3, Wisdom, and SitD are in a far away land.

Is this game worth playing? Is it fun, is the storyline good, is it way too different?
qkzkfk010

Re: Is this game worth playing?

Postby Century » Mon Jul 25 2016 12:54pm

Hmm...

Wisdom and SitD are probably more closely allied to ShF1 and ShF2 (with notable characters appearing...). ShF3 and StHA are strongly linked and somewhat separate.

In terms of the quality of SitD, though... Do you like StHA? If you do then you'll likely enjoy SitD. It's more limited in terms of gameplay and story, but it's a *very* solid dungeon crawler indeed. Note that, compared to other dungeon crawlers, it does have random battles (which might be important).

But it's a lot of fun, it's hard, there's loads of secrets, the storyline is simple but intriguing...
Century

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Thu Jul 28 2016 7:12pm

it is really good, a little boring at the start as you try and build up your levels, but once you get stronger and start progressing it's a solid game.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Sun Sep 04 2016 5:03pm

I know I'm super late, but if you like a grinding dungeon crawl that seems like it's literally making an effort to murderize your party and want to find yourself pushing obsessively through a 16-bit dingy dungeon of blood and death, then absolutely. If you want something more colorful than just the castle and Thornwood then it's probably not going to be your bag.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Kevin » Fri Nov 18 2016 9:28pm

Its good to play this game and see how far the Shining games came later on.

SitD is missing simple things like being able to give someone an item and equip it right there.
Kevin

Postby Chaos Wizard » Mon Nov 21 2016 3:07pm

It's pretty nifty to see how the whole system evolved from SitD to SF to SFII in particular. One thing that I've always loved and would have liked to see in other games was the ability to equip a different weapon mid round, in the middle of battle.

One thing that SitD had that the other games didn't were the crazy items, and the whole magical effect atmosphere. They wouldn't have translated all that well from First Person to Third anyway.

Where I think SF and SFII built onto what we all love about the series, a greater sense of humor and color, character diversity and so forth and so on. I've always felt more engrossed with SitD because it's always seemed for me to be somehow more personal, probably because of the first person perception and the whole feeling compelled to keep going through the drudgery of the Labyrinth.

This is a bit of an oldbie thread isn't it? Cent, Moondog and Kevin. Win.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby ZethaPonderer » Mon Jan 23 2017 12:30am

Just want to throw my 2 cents here with this game despite this post being months old now. If you're a Hardcore Dungeon Crawling Fan you'll enjoy this game, although personally I don't like it compared to Shining The Holy Ark which fixed one major issue that I have with this game... the map system. Hope you learn how to memorize the entire layout of the dungeon or get out your pen & paper and start drawing the layout of each and every dungeon. Yes, there is a View spell and a Wisdom seed item in this game that can display the map for you, but it's so useless as it only gives you a small layout of the dungeon along with some coordinates. Not really a big fan on dungeon crawling games though I respect them and I doubt if there were better dungeon crawlers out there during SiTD's debut that had a better map function. Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (PC) and Arcana (SNES) are the only good dungeon crawling games I can think about that had a good map feature, but those games came out much later.

My advice, play this game if you like Dragon Quest 2 or if you're a Hardcore Dungeon Crawling Fan. This game is so similar to DQ2 in many ways. However, I think this game perfects what DQ2 fails to achieve... balancing out game issues with the standard RPG party - fighter, mage, and healer -.

Edit: Just mentioning the respective platforms of the aforementioned Dungeon Crawling RPGs. Bolded them out.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Mon Jan 23 2017 12:38am

Oh man, I hated DQ2 because of the difficulty spikes and lack of direction. Just an aside ;) StHA was far superior in a lot of ways, especially not forcing you to grind and having a great soundtrack.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby ZethaPonderer » Mon Jan 23 2017 12:55am

That too MXC. I tried to play SiTD and got bored with it when I reached Dungeon Level 4 :sleep: . However, I played StHA and couldn't put my keyboard down playing this game and it's definitely my personal favorite game out of the Sega Saturn library (SF3 is 2nd best compared to this IMO despite having better production values and such). Yes, I play all of my games (mostly emulated) with a keyboard :blush:. I really wish I could own these games legitimately and play them on their respective system (I don't have the financial means to obtain them, but someday I will purchase them and have fun with them). Also, I'm a newcomer and hope I get to enjoy my stay here on SF Central.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Mon Jan 23 2017 12:57am

I actually played StHA on Saturn and was happy I did. Of course, I didn't have a good way to emulate at the time. I did play SF3 Scn 2 and 3 on my computer though :)

I've always been able to run SitD however :)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Feb 27 2017 10:52am

ZethaPonderer wrote:That too MXC. I tried to play SiTD and got bored with it when I reached Dungeon Level 4 :sleep: . However, I played StHA and couldn't put my keyboard down playing this game and it's definitely my personal favorite game out of the Sega Saturn library (SF3 is 2nd best compared to this IMO despite having better production values and such). Yes, I play all of my games (mostly emulated) with a keyboard :blush:. I really wish I could own these games legitimately and play them on their respective system (I don't have the financial means to obtain them, but someday I will purchase them and have fun with them). Also, I'm a newcomer and hope I get to enjoy my stay here on SF Central.

Finances are definitely an understandable issue when it comes to the Sega Saturn. Heck, just earlier today, when I was telling my brother about how I've been playing my Saturn quite a bit lately, he mentioned how he recently considered buying one for himself when he saw it at a local retro store. He decided against it however simply because of how stupidly expensive most of the console's exceptional games cost.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Mon Dec 04 2017 5:46am

Hello, I have played this game but never finished it.
I was wondering if there is really just one maze that has multiple sections that are accessed after triggering events or meeting a goal. Also, about how much time does it take to complete the game?
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Dec 04 2017 5:15pm

Marky wrote:Hello, I have played this game but never finished it.
I was wondering if there is really just one maze that has multiple sections that are accessed after triggering events or meeting a goal. Also, about how much time does it take to complete the game?

Not sure about the length, but that is definitely the entire game. Just one colossal maze that you gradually unlock by clearing trials, letting you delve deeper. This of course results in having to trudge through areas you've already cleared to reach deeper levels, but one smart thing they do (from what I recall) is at a certain point, you start going up instead of down from the first level, cutting back a bit on how long it takes to reach new stuff.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Wed Dec 06 2017 5:51am

That's intersting.
I have for the Genesis Collection for the PS3.
I'll give it a go some time.
Thanks.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Return to Shining in the Darkness