Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining in the Darkness
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining in the Darkness Rom Hacks

Thornwood Hacks Collection created by me!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining in the Darkness Rom Hacks

Postby darkwraith007 » Mon Oct 05 2015 6:17am

The ROM Hack has been completed but just needs testing. I would like anyone here who wishes to do so to test out the 'Thornwood Terrors' All in One patch and let me know of any bugs/glitches that you find. I haven't had the chance to fully test it out myself yet.

Rom Hash info is below (via ucon64) and is also included in the ReadMe here. Be sure your original unaltered ROM matches the hashes and info below BEFORE patching. It may still work even with a different ROM but that's at your own risk/peril.

I recommend using FloatingIPS for patching it up. Works much better than regular old LunarIPS. Just apply the 'ThornWood Terrors' patch to your ROM file and if you're using FloatingIPS it'll ask you where to save the new patched ROM (leaving your original untouched). Very handy!

Thornwood Terrors v1.01 and v1.2 beta are ONLY available as all-in-one BPS patches due to technicalities with constantly remaking each and every type of patch with every change done.

The IPS patches were not stable enough for public use due to unforseen glitches and issues with different ROM versions so I've removed them from this archive. BPS is far safer to use and is far less error-prone.

Original ROM Info via uCon64
WARNING: SPOILER!

SitD ThornWood Terrors v1.01 Patched ROM Info via uCon64

SitD ThornWood Terrors v1.2 Beta Patched ROM Info via uCon64

Download Links via MEGA
Due to how MEGA's encryption works, it is highly recommended to use Chromium/Chrome.
Other browsers may take a bit longer to decrypt, just be patient with it.
If you happen to be using MEGA's Chromium/Chrome extension then it will be significantly faster and more secure.

Thornwood Terrors v1.01 BPS Patch
Thornwood Terrors v1.2 Beta BPS Patch
Last edited by darkwraith007 on Mon Jan 18 2016 1:19am, edited 21 times in total.
darkwraith007

Re: Shining in the Darkness Rom Hacks

Postby Cullsoft » Mon Oct 05 2015 7:02am

Haven't had a read yet (off to work shortly), but you could always use the "code" tags to copy & paste the text without breaking formatting.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby darkwraith007 » Tue Oct 06 2015 12:08am

Dev Diary of Updates:
Last edited by darkwraith007 on Mon Jan 18 2016 1:23am, edited 3 times in total.
darkwraith007

Postby Reincar » Sun Nov 22 2015 3:58am

I have an issue with empty treasure chests in this hack. Whenever I leave an area or get killed by a Sentiel or fall through a pit that was placed in front of a chest, the chest is later found empty. I couldn't get the Arms of Light and the Sun Armor and other stuff because of this, so I couldn't beat the final boss even with my party's levels maxed out.

Also, Herb Water and Holy Water didn't ever work. The game says "nothing happened", every time. There also were graphical glitches and freezes when fighting the yellow brickeye mini-boss on level 2 of Labyrinth Proper.

I used both .ips and .bps patches just to be sure, but both had empty chests.
Reincar

Postby darkwraith007 » Tue Dec 22 2015 8:06pm

Reincar wrote:I have an issue with empty treasure chests in this hack. Whenever I leave an area or get killed by a Sentiel or fall through a pit that was placed in front of a chest, the chest is later found empty. I couldn't get the Arms of Light and the Sun Armor and other stuff because of this, so I couldn't beat the final boss even with my party's levels maxed out.

Also, Herb Water and Holy Water didn't ever work. The game says "nothing happened", every time. There also were graphical glitches and freezes when fighting the yellow brickeye mini-boss on level 2 of Labyrinth Proper.

I used both .ips and .bps patches just to be sure, but both had empty chests.

Apologies for being out of sorts. Been playing WildStar ^_^;
I realized I had a completed 'draft' of my v1.2 hack and decided to revisit the forums to see if anyone posted. Good thing I did!

Here are some things you can try:

Please verify that your ORIGINAL UNPATCHED rom hashes and the PATCHED rom hashes match the ones posted in this thread from uCon64 in the first post. Use only the BPS patches to make sure it works as intended.
    When verifying hashes, don't just do CRC but also check MD5 and SHA1 and others if you can do so. I recommend MultiHasher 'zip version' aka portable version for doing this since it doesn't install itself. Works just fine.

You should know that HOLY WATER will remove cursed items and HERB WATER will revive deceased allies.
    I didn't really touch the effects of either of those items so not sure what the issue is. May possibly be a 'bad rom' issue but if the BPS applies successfully that shouldn't even be possible. I'll test on my end.
    With the way the ROM stores text, I couldn't modify those item names without affecting every single HERB and HOLY item in the game. So unfortunatly it is just as confusing as the original. A good way to remember is that HOLY dispells and HERBs revive/heal.

I already posted in my 'dev log' above that if you trigger a Chest Monster and then flee from battle (or die) then that monster is gone and you forfeit the reward you would've obtained from it (XP/Gold/Item).

If you fall through a pit in front of a chest, you're meant to use the ROPE to climb up and get the chest anyways. It shouldn't be empty in this case.

I'm going to hold off on releasing my v1.2 until I have fully tested it out. I need to make sure that I don't have obscure issues like the ones reported here that I'd have to hunt down and fix.

EDIT @ Dec 29 2015 @ 18:18 UTC-5: I haven't received any PMs or further posts here so I'm gonna presume that Reincar's issues are resolved and it was a rom or patching issue rather than something with the patch itself.

UPDATE @ Jan 17 2016 @ 19:24 UTC-5: I've uploaded the BETA patch of v1.2 as a BPS patch in hopes that others may enjoy it and report back any issues with difficulty and such. Hopefully only releasing BPS patches will mitigate potential patching/rom technical issues.
darkwraith007

Postby lutz75 » Sun Jul 23 2017 10:06pm

Are you still working on this hack? I know it's been two years approx. Hoping you are.
lutz75

Postby darkwraith007 » Sat Jul 29 2017 11:21pm

A wild Lutz has appeared! Holy cow 2 years later the Necro is real lmao.

That said, I'm no longer working on this hack. I moved on a LONG time ago. I realize that with all the gaming options available today, most people don't have the time or patience to slog through something like Shining in the Darkness.

Hell, games are so easy to make now that it is better to just grab Unity and make something new instead of constantly hacking older games and being in legal limbo.

That's mainly what I've been doing. That and enjoying many other games. Romhacking isn't dead but you can say it is probably on haitus for now. Most of the great hobbyists with actual ASM and other hacking skills have gotten actual paid work for their knowledge.
darkwraith007

Return to Shining in the Darkness